Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Vanilla Extract

On 3/17/2018 8:36 AM, Janet wrote:

> Save a small glass bottle with a clean screwtop, wash thoroughly and
> dry. Slit some quality vanilla pods lengthways with a knife (leave the
> seeds in, you're just exposing them to leach out their flavour) and post
> the pods into the bottle. If they are longer than the bottle, cut them
> to fit and post the trimmed bits in too. Two pods will be fine for a
> bottle that holds 6 ot 8 ounces. Now fill the bottle to the top with any
> left-over spirits you have; I favour brandy or sherry or a mix. Cap
> bottle, shake it well, store it in a cool dark place and shake it once a
> week or when you remember. After six months it's ready to use (leave the
> pods in, no need to take them out as you use up the liquid).
> I should go and start a new batch.

Great idea, but I thought perhaps vanilla beans would have risen in
price similarly to the extract? I haven't looked for them lately.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 8:36 AM, Janet wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> Flavorganics organic Extract, Pure Vanilla, 8 Ounce Bottle is $19.52
>> available through Walmart.

> Cheap and simple to make your own, and the flavour beats any
> commercial product. I've been doing this ever since someone gave me a
> bottle of her home-made to try (makes a great gift for a cooking
> friend).
>
> Save a small glass bottle with a clean screwtop, wash thoroughly and
> dry. Slit some quality vanilla pods lengthways with a knife (leave the
> seeds in, you're just exposing them to leach out their flavour) and post
> the pods into the bottle. If they are longer than the bottle, cut them
> to fit and post the trimmed bits in too. Two pods will be fine for a
> bottle that holds 6 ot 8 ounces. Now fill the bottle to the top with any
> left-over spirits you have; I favour brandy or sherry or a mix. Cap
> bottle, shake it well, store it in a cool dark place and shake it once a
> week or when you remember. After six months it's ready to use (leave the
> pods in, no need to take them out as you use up the liquid).
> I should go and start a new batch.

I am assuming that if the rising cost of vanilla extract is the result
of rising prices for vanilla beans. I just paid an arm and half a leg
for a bottle of vanilla extract. Now that I think about it, I have not
seen vanilla beans for sale for a while. I haven't really been looking,
but I used to see them even when I was not looking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 9:03 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 3/17/2018 8:36 AM, Janet wrote:
>
>> Â*Now fill the bottle to the top with any
>> left-over spirits you have; I favour brandy or sherry or a mix. Cap
>> bottle, shake it well, store it in a cool dark place and shake it once a
>> week or when you remember. After six months it's ready to use (leave the
>> pods in, no need to take them out as you use up the liquid).
>> Â*Â*Â*Â* I should go and start a new batch.

> Great idea, but I thought perhaps vanilla beans would have risen in
> price similarly to the extract?Â* I haven't looked for them lately.

I just posted that I had not seen them for a while, but had not been
looking. I just checked on line. Holy cow..... about $9 each.

I used to make my ice cream and my deluxe vanilla recipe called for
about a tablespoon of extract plus a vanilla bean. The vanilla used to
be a considerable cost factor when it has half the price of the cream,
but now it is more than twice as much as the cream.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 8:50:55 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> I just posted that I had not seen them for a while, but had not been
> looking. I just checked on line. Holy cow..... about $9 each.
>
> I used to make my ice cream and my deluxe vanilla recipe called for
> about a tablespoon of extract plus a vanilla bean. The vanilla used to
> be a considerable cost factor when it has half the price of the cream,
> but now it is more than twice as much as the cream.

The last time I looked at vanilla pods there were three or four in a
bottle and 'on sale' for $17.99. I gently replaced that bottle back
on the shelf and tiptoed away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Samstag, 17. März 2018 16:07:12 UTC+1 schrieb :
> On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 8:50:55 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > I just posted that I had not seen them for a while, but had not been
> > looking. I just checked on line. Holy cow..... about $9 each.
> >
> > I used to make my ice cream and my deluxe vanilla recipe called for
> > about a tablespoon of extract plus a vanilla bean. The vanilla used to
> > be a considerable cost factor when it has half the price of the cream,
> > but now it is more than twice as much as the cream.
> >

> The last time I looked at vanilla pods there were three or four in a
> bottle and 'on sale' for $17.99. I gently replaced that bottle back
> on the shelf and tiptoed away.

I think I would have laughed out loud... but'd have done the same.

In 2007, I bought a bundle of vanilla beans (top quality) at 24 Euro/400 gm..
I used a lot, gave away a lot, still have half of that (stored air-tight
and dark; still flexible and amazingly aromatic) - nowadays, the amount
left is worth way more than 100 Euro!

I was flabbergasted when I heard how much the price for vanilla beans had
increased and really depressed when I learned the reason here...

Is there a trustworthy address to help the victims of that typhoon?

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 3:50:55 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> I just posted that I had not seen them for a while, but had not been
> looking. I just checked on line. Holy cow..... about $9 each.
>
> I used to make my ice cream and my deluxe vanilla recipe called for
> about a tablespoon of extract plus a vanilla bean. The vanilla used to
> be a considerable cost factor when it has half the price of the cream,
> but now it is more than twice as much as the cream.

You should be able to get bean pods on eBay for around 3 or 4 bucks American. The time I purchased some they were $14 for 40 pods sourced from Madagascar and New Guinea. Times are tough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 09:03:28 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>On 3/17/2018 8:36 AM, Janet wrote:
>
>> Save a small glass bottle with a clean screwtop, wash thoroughly and
>> dry. Slit some quality vanilla pods lengthways with a knife (leave the
>> seeds in, you're just exposing them to leach out their flavour) and post
>> the pods into the bottle. If they are longer than the bottle, cut them
>> to fit and post the trimmed bits in too. Two pods will be fine for a
>> bottle that holds 6 ot 8 ounces. Now fill the bottle to the top with any
>> left-over spirits you have; I favour brandy or sherry or a mix. Cap
>> bottle, shake it well, store it in a cool dark place and shake it once a
>> week or when you remember. After six months it's ready to use (leave the
>> pods in, no need to take them out as you use up the liquid).
>> I should go and start a new batch.

>Great idea, but I thought perhaps vanilla beans would have risen in
>price similarly to the extract? I haven't looked for them lately.
>
>nancy

Vanilla beans have similarly risen in price too.
This looks like a good buy:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HJHX9ZO...detail_2?psc=1
I have more pure vanilla extract than I will ever use, I bought a pint
bottle of Tones pure vanilla extract several years ago, don't remember
the price, but I only use it for cold items like whipped cream and ice
cream so most of the pint still remains. Cooking/baking with pure
vanilla extract wastes it as the heat deteriorates the flavor. For
baking I use vanilla flavoring, I find no difference and neither does
anyone else.
A food scientist used to post here, I don't remember his name but I
believe he was Indian from India. He explained all about how modern
chemistry has made vanilla flavoring so that no one can tell it from
real vanilla.
Seems Tones no longer lists the pint size at their web site... just
now was the first time I visited their web site, I'll spend more time
there later: http://www.tones.com/product/premium...anilla-extract
Here's a pic of my Pint/16 oz bottle:
https://postimg.org/image/89n3z1lor/
I had to uncap and take a whiff, now I have vanilla fingers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv.soaps.cbs

In article >, penmart01
@aol.com says...
> Here's a pic of my Pint/16 oz bottle:
> https://imgur.com/a/UROIs

Damn, it looks *much* bigger than that. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Pure vanilla, my ASS! Ingredients: Water, Organic Alcohol (35%),
> Organic Vanilla Bean Extractives.
>
> It's 95% water and alcohol.

I wonder if any desperate teenager got drunk with a large bottle
of vanilla extract. lol!
At age 17, I downed most of a quart of listerine one night before
a school dance. I didn't get drunk but my entire digestive system
stayed numb for days. heheh
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 11:07 AM, wrote:
> On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 8:50:55 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I just posted that I had not seen them for a while, but had not been
>> looking. I just checked on line. Holy cow..... about $9 each.
>>
>> I used to make my ice cream and my deluxe vanilla recipe called for
>> about a tablespoon of extract plus a vanilla bean. The vanilla used to
>> be a considerable cost factor when it has half the price of the cream,
>> but now it is more than twice as much as the cream.
>>

> The last time I looked at vanilla pods there were three or four in a
> bottle and 'on sale' for $17.99. I gently replaced that bottle back
> on the shelf and tiptoed away.

I used to cringe at the price as an ice cream flavouring was a bottle
of three for $6. Even back when I started making ice cream I was looking
at about $1 worth if extract and $2 for one bean.

FWIW, the best vanilla extracts I ever tasted were gifted by friends who
had been to the islands. One was from Grenada. The other was was
Dominican Republic. I had commented on the great vanilla that a
owner/chef of a local restaurant used. He told me it was from the
Dominican, and when he came back from visiting his in-laws down there he
brought me a half litre of it.

A friend from Texas brought be a pint of Mexican vanilla. I liked it but
my wife did not. We ended up giving it to her foodie cousin who loved it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 12:03 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 3:50:55 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

>> I used to make my ice cream and my deluxe vanilla recipe called
>> for about a tablespoon of extract plus a vanilla bean. The vanilla
>> used to be a considerable cost factor when it has half the price of
>> the cream, but now it is more than twice as much as the cream.

> You should be able to get bean pods on eBay for around 3 or 4 bucks
> American. The time I purchased some they were $14 for 40 pods sourced
> from Madagascar and New Guinea. Times are tough.

Was that recently. Prices had soared.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.44...

On Sat 17 Mar 2018 10:46:14a, Dave Smith told us...

> On 2018-03-17 11:07 AM, wrote:
>> On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 8:50:55 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I just posted that I had not seen them for a while, but had not
>>> been looking. I just checked on line. Holy cow..... about $9
>>> each.
>>>
>>> I used to make my ice cream and my deluxe vanilla recipe called
>>> for about a tablespoon of extract plus a vanilla bean. The
>>> vanilla used to be a considerable cost factor when it has half
>>> the price of the cream, but now it is more than twice as much as
>>> the cream.
>>>

>> The last time I looked at vanilla pods there were three or four
>> in a bottle and 'on sale' for $17.99. I gently replaced that
>> bottle back on the shelf and tiptoed away.

> I used to cringe at the price as an ice cream flavouring was a
> bottle of three for $6. Even back when I started making ice cream
> I was looking at about $1 worth if extract and $2 for one bean.
>
> FWIW, the best vanilla extracts I ever tasted were gifted by
> friends who had been to the islands. One was from Grenada. The
> other was was Dominican Republic. I had commented on the great
> vanilla that a owner/chef of a local restaurant used. He told me
> it was from the Dominican, and when he came back from visiting his
> in-laws down there he brought me a half litre of it.
>
> A friend from Texas brought be a pint of Mexican vanilla. I liked
> it but my wife did not. We ended up giving it to her foodie cousin
> who loved it.

I usually buy Costco's Kirland brand of pure vanilla extract in an 8
oz. bottle. Once a year or so I make my own using vanilla beans
split down the middle as described by someone earlier. I'm allergic
to brandy which gives me migraines, so I use a good bourbon, steeped
in a dark pantry for six months to a year. I only use the bourbon
vanilla in dishes/desserts where its flavor is elf-evident.

Wayne Boatwright

==

I used to make my own from vanilla beans with brandy, but haven't for a long
time now.

I don't use enough of it and a small bottle of good vanilla extract lasts me
for ages.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 2:36 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>a good bourbon, steeped
> in a dark pantry for six months to a year. I only use the bourbon
> vanilla in dishes/desserts where its flavor is elf-evident.

Christmas ?
;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 7:55:10 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> Was that recently. Prices had soared.

I checked this morning. You are correct that prices have soared - just not from this morning. I got the pods for 35 cents in 2010, now they're $4/pod.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 12:36:07 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> Pure vanilla, my ASS! Ingredients: Water, Organic Alcohol (35%),
>> Organic Vanilla Bean Extractives.
>>
>> It's 95% water and alcohol.

>I wonder if any desperate teenager got drunk with a large bottle
>of vanilla extract. lol!
>At age 17, I downed most of a quart of listerine one night before
>a school dance. I didn't get drunk but my entire digestive system
>stayed numb for days. heheh

And your brain is still numb. heheh
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:
>penmart wrote
>
>> Here's a pic of my Pint/16 oz bottle:
>> https://imgur.com/a/UROIs
>>

>Damn, it looks *much* bigger than that. LOL

That's what you said about my peepee, scared you silly... but you
still had to take it on a test drive. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:
>>penmart wrote
>>
>>> Here's a pic of my Pint/16 oz bottle:
>>> https://imgur.com/a/UROIs
>>>

>>Damn, it looks *much* bigger than that. LOL

> That's what you said about my peepee, scared you silly... but you
> still had to take it on a test drive. LOL

I also didn't write one bit of the ridiculous post above...PERIOD!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 09:53:19 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-03-17 9:03 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 3/17/2018 8:36 AM, Janet wrote:
>>
>>> *Now fill the bottle to the top with any
>>> left-over spirits you have; I favour brandy or sherry or a mix. Cap
>>> bottle, shake it well, store it in a cool dark place and shake it once a
>>> week or when you remember. After six months it's ready to use (leave the
>>> pods in, no need to take them out as you use up the liquid).
>>> **** I should go and start a new batch.

>> Great idea, but I thought perhaps vanilla beans would have risen in
>> price similarly to the extract?* I haven't looked for them lately.

>I just posted that I had not seen them for a while, but had not been
>looking. I just checked on line. Holy cow..... about $9 each.
>
>I used to make my ice cream and my deluxe vanilla recipe called for
>about a tablespoon of extract plus a vanilla bean. The vanilla used to
>be a considerable cost factor when it has half the price of the cream,
>but now it is more than twice as much as the cream.

I bought a little packet of 5 vanilla beans last week for $18 at Ten
Thousand Villages. I should go back and buy some more - that price is
starting to look pretty good.

I don't know if you would have one of their stores near you, but if
you do, you could get them there.

My DH also makes vanilla ice cream, and we make our own vanilla. The 5
beans noted above plus 500 ml of either vodka or bourbon. And when the
vanilla is finished, I freeze the spent beans and use them in things
like rice pudding.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Cheri wrote:
>> penmart wrote
>>
>>> Here's a pic of my Pint/16 oz bottle:

https://imgur.com/a/UROIs

>> Damn, it looks *much* bigger than that. LOL

> That's what you said about my peepee, scared you silly... but you
> still had to take it on a test drive. LOL

Well, she might have tried to get your little bitty pee pee. But she was
unsuccessful and yoose got away with yoose special peepee intact.

Years later, I understand yoose pee pee contracted syphilis, gonococcus,
clymidia, HIV, and a host of other pee pee diseases. Yoose are also a
carrier for some STDs yoose caught from the mestizos in central america.

Take care, and protect yoose little pee pee from all the women that want
to force yoose to have sex with them.