Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soup Day

We had a blast of winter blast through here last night and it dumped
8-10 inches of wet, heavy snow. I feel sorry for people who don't have
snowblowers because mine got a real workout this morning. Once things
cleared up we went out to run some errands and stopped for a coffee
along the way. My wife got a bowl of sweet potato soup. I had never had
it before and had a taste. It was pretty good but lacking something. I
picked up some sweet potatoes on the way home and tried making a batch.
It has to be one of the world's easiest soups to make. I added some
Jamaican curry powder while the veggies were being sauteed. It turned
out great.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 3:57:50 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> We had a blast of winter blast through here last night and it dumped
> 8-10 inches of wet, heavy snow. I feel sorry for people who don't have
> snowblowers because mine got a real workout this morning. Once things
> cleared up we went out to run some errands and stopped for a coffee
> along the way. My wife got a bowl of sweet potato soup. I had never had
> it before and had a taste. It was pretty good but lacking something. I
> picked up some sweet potatoes on the way home and tried making a batch.
> It has to be one of the world's easiest soups to make. I added some
> Jamaican curry powder while the veggies were being sauteed. It turned
> out great.

We got about 5 inches wet snow that condensed into a couple inches of
slush. It's 40 F and sunny today, so I'm letting Mother Nature clear
my driveway. I gave her a hand at lunchtime and shoveled some strips
along the driveway to expose the asphalt.

Sweet potatoes love curry powder. Chipotle peppers, too, provided you're
not one of the people who think they taste like an ashtray.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-02 4:16 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 02 Mar 2018 02:00:04p, Dave Smith told us...
>
>> We had a blast of winter blast through here last night and it
>> dumped 8-10 inches of wet, heavy snow. I feel sorry for people who
>> don't have snowblowers because mine got a real workout this
>> morning. Once things cleared up we went out to run some errands
>> and stopped for a coffee along the way. My wife got a bowl of
>> sweet potato soup. I had never had it before and had a taste. It
>> was pretty good but lacking something. I picked up some sweet
>> potatoes on the way home and tried making a batch. It has to be
>> one of the world's easiest soups to make. I added some Jamaican
>> curry powder while the veggies were being sauteed. It turned out
>> great.
>>

> And your recipe is...?

1 medium onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
3-4 sweet potatoes chopped
2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp Hot Jamaican curry powder
4 cups chicken or vegetable sauce

Heat up the pot with a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Saute onion and
garlic for a minute or two. Add cinnamon and curry powder and then toss
in the cubed sweet potato. Stir occasionally for about 5 minutes. Add
the stock, bring it to a boil and cook for 30 minutes, until the sweet
potato is soft. Puree the soup and adjust salt and pepper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-02 2:00 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> We had a blast of winter blast through here last night and it dumped
> 8-10 inches of wet, heavy snow. I feel sorry for people who don't have
> snowblowers because mine got a real workout this morning.Â* Once things
> cleared up we went out to run some errands and stopped for a coffee
> along the way.Â* My wife got a bowl of sweet potato soup. I had never had
> it before and had a taste. It was pretty good but lacking something. I
> picked up some sweet potatoes on the way home and tried making a batch.
> It has to be one of the world's easiest soups to make.Â* I added some
> Jamaican curry powder while the veggies were being sauteed.Â*Â* It turned
> out great.

I was given a small packet of fancy-schmancy legume mix for soup. I made
it yesterday following the recipe on the packet adding the trinity and
some minced pork. However, I completely underestimated the amount of
water needed to cook the dry stuff. The mix expanded so much that I had
to transfer it to a bigger pot whereupon it absorbed even more water. I
ended up with enough to feed the 5k from a 500g packet!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/2/2018 4:00 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> We had a blast of winter blast through here last night and it dumped
> 8-10 inches of wet, heavy snow. I feel sorry for people who don't have
> snowblowers because mine got a real workout this morning.Â* Once things
> cleared up we went out to run some errands and stopped for a coffee
> along the way.Â* My wife got a bowl of sweet potato soup. I had never had
> it before and had a taste. It was pretty good but lacking something. I
> picked up some sweet potatoes on the way home and tried making a batch.
> It has to be one of the world's easiest soups to make.Â* I added some
> Jamaican curry powder while the veggies were being sauteed.Â*Â* It turned
> out great.

We're in the middle of a nor'easter, very ugly, snow wind hail rain.
Yes, soup day! For lunch it was a North African red lentil soup from
America's Test Kitchen. Mild flavored but the more I had the more I
enjoyed it.

For dinner, chicken soup from Costco. I love that stuff.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-02 5:34 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 3/2/2018 4:00 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> We had a blast of winter blast through here last night and it dumped
>> 8-10 inches of wet, heavy snow. I feel sorry for people who don't have
>> snowblowers because mine got a real workout this morning.Â* Once things
>> cleared up we went out to run some errands and stopped for a coffee
>> along the way.Â* My wife got a bowl of sweet potato soup. I had never
>> had it before and had a taste. It was pretty good but lacking
>> something. I picked up some sweet potatoes on the way home and tried
>> making a batch. It has to be one of the world's easiest soups to
>> make.Â* I added some Jamaican curry powder while the veggies were being
>> sauteed.Â*Â* It turned out great.

> We're in the middle of a nor'easter, very ugly, snow wind hail rain.
> Yes, soup day!Â* For lunch it was a North African red lentil soup from
> America's Test Kitchen.Â* Mild flavored but the more I had the more I
> enjoyed it.
>
> For dinner, chicken soup from Costco.Â* I love that stuff.

Yikes. Now you have me concerned about my son and his friend. They left
for Washington DC yesterday with plans to visit Gettysburg on the way,
and then a night in Baltimore. The storm that passed through here was
nasty enough. It could not have been bad if it was colder and the 8" of
snow was the light fluffy stuff, but this is the wet, heavy stuff that
gets packed down and makes driving treacherous.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 12:31:28 PM UTC-10, graham wrote:

> I was given a small packet of fancy-schmancy legume mix for soup. I made
> it yesterday following the recipe on the packet adding the trinity and
> some minced pork. However, I completely underestimated the amount of
> water needed to cook the dry stuff. The mix expanded so much that I had
> to transfer it to a bigger pot whereupon it absorbed even more water. I
> ended up with enough to feed the 5k from a 500g packet!

The signs are clear: this is a modern day miracle! Do thing like this happen to you often? Wonderments like this tend to happen in the days following the Lunar New Year. Just recently, I got a new phone number whose digits were comprised totally of numbers below ten divisible by 3. Amazing!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Mar 2018 15:31:21 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2018-03-02 2:00 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> We had a blast of winter blast through here last night and it dumped
>> 8-10 inches of wet, heavy snow. I feel sorry for people who don't have
>> snowblowers because mine got a real workout this morning.* Once things
>> cleared up we went out to run some errands and stopped for a coffee
>> along the way.* My wife got a bowl of sweet potato soup. I had never had
>> it before and had a taste. It was pretty good but lacking something. I
>> picked up some sweet potatoes on the way home and tried making a batch.
>> It has to be one of the world's easiest soups to make.* I added some
>> Jamaican curry powder while the veggies were being sauteed.** It turned
>> out great.

>I was given a small packet of fancy-schmancy legume mix for soup. I made
>it yesterday following the recipe on the packet adding the trinity and
>some minced pork. However, I completely underestimated the amount of
>water needed to cook the dry stuff. The mix expanded so much that I had
>to transfer it to a bigger pot whereupon it absorbed even more water. I
>ended up with enough to feed the 5k from a 500g packet!

How did it taste? I make my own soup but sometimes would like a
change, but not canned, can't stand that anymore. What was the Brand
etc?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-02 5:31 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-03-02 2:00 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> . It was pretty good but lacking
>> something. I picked up some sweet potatoes on the way home and tried
>> making a batch. It has to be one of the world's easiest soups to
>> make.Â* I added some Jamaican curry powder while the veggies were being
>> sauteed.Â*Â* It turned out great.

> I was given a small packet of fancy-schmancy legume mix for soup. I made
> it yesterday following the recipe on the packet adding the trinity and
> some minced pork. However, I completely underestimated the amount of
> water needed to cook the dry stuff. The mix expanded so much that I had
> to transfer it to a bigger pot whereupon it absorbed even more water. I
> ended up with enough to feed the 5k from a 500g packet!

I guess we need more experience. The only legume soup I make regularly
is French Canadian Pea Soup and I add lots of water and let it cook down
until the peas are mushy. I often use leftover lamb bones to make a
sort of Scotch Broth, or use beef broth to make beef and barley. No
matter how much barley I add it always ends up being way too much. I
want enough to have some of that barley goodness, but my intent is to
make a lamb or beef soup with barley, not a barley mush.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-02 3:50 PM, wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Mar 2018 15:31:21 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
>> On 2018-03-02 2:00 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> We had a blast of winter blast through here last night and it dumped
>>> 8-10 inches of wet, heavy snow. I feel sorry for people who don't have
>>> snowblowers because mine got a real workout this morning.Â* Once things
>>> cleared up we went out to run some errands and stopped for a coffee
>>> along the way.Â* My wife got a bowl of sweet potato soup. I had never had
>>> it before and had a taste. It was pretty good but lacking something. I
>>> picked up some sweet potatoes on the way home and tried making a batch.
>>> It has to be one of the world's easiest soups to make.Â* I added some
>>> Jamaican curry powder while the veggies were being sauteed.Â*Â* It turned
>>> out great.

>> I was given a small packet of fancy-schmancy legume mix for soup. I made
>> it yesterday following the recipe on the packet adding the trinity and
>> some minced pork. However, I completely underestimated the amount of
>> water needed to cook the dry stuff. The mix expanded so much that I had
>> to transfer it to a bigger pot whereupon it absorbed even more water. I
>> ended up with enough to feed the 5k from a 500g packet!

> How did it taste? I make my own soup but sometimes would like a
> change, but not canned, can't stand that anymore. What was the Brand
> etc?

Very nice taste. I added a can of chopped tomatoes as well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 12:31:28 PM UTC-10, graham wrote:

> I was given a small packet of fancy-schmancy legume mix for soup. I made
> it yesterday following the recipe on the packet adding the trinity and
> some minced pork. However, I completely underestimated the amount of
> water needed to cook the dry stuff. The mix expanded so much that I had
> to transfer it to a bigger pot whereupon it absorbed even more water. I
> ended up with enough to feed the 5k from a 500g packet!

The signs are clear: this is a modern day miracle! Do thing like this happen
to you often? Wonderments like this tend to happen in the days following the
Lunar New Year. Just recently, I got a new phone number whose digits were
comprised totally of numbers below ten divisible by 3. Amazing!

===

Eeeh lad. Who could have forseen it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On 2018-03-02 5:31 PM, graham wrote:
> > On 2018-03-02 2:00 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> >> . It was pretty good but lacking
> >> something. I picked up some sweet potatoes on the way home and tried
> >> making a batch. It has to be one of the world's easiest soups to
> >> make.* I added some Jamaican curry powder while the veggies were being
> >> sauteed.** It turned out great.

> > I was given a small packet of fancy-schmancy legume mix for soup. I made
> > it yesterday following the recipe on the packet adding the trinity and
> > some minced pork. However, I completely underestimated the amount of
> > water needed to cook the dry stuff. The mix expanded so much that I had
> > to transfer it to a bigger pot whereupon it absorbed even more water. I
> > ended up with enough to feed the 5k from a 500g packet!

> I guess we need more experience. The only legume soup I make regularly
> is French Canadian Pea Soup and I add lots of water and let it cook down
> until the peas are mushy. I often use leftover lamb bones to make a
> sort of Scotch Broth, or use beef broth to make beef and barley. No
> matter how much barley I add it always ends up being way too much. I
> want enough to have some of that barley goodness, but my intent is to
> make a lamb or beef soup with barley, not a barley mush.

"Scotch broth mix" (mixed legumes plus barley) is far from fancy-
schmancy :-)Home made soup is very traditional and popular in Scotland.

https://farmersgirlkitchen.co.uk/201...h-like-a-scot/

If you scroll down to the pics you'll see how little of the dried mix
is needed. I recommend overnight pre-soaking otherwise the peas stay
hard.

For that reason I more often use either lentils or pearl barley in
soups, both cook quite quickly and neither need pre-soaking.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Mar 2018 18:04:04 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-03-02 5:50 PM, wrote:
>> On Fri, 2 Mar 2018 15:31:21 -0700, graham > wrote:

>>> I was given a small packet of fancy-schmancy legume mix for soup. I made
>>> it yesterday following the recipe on the packet adding the trinity and
>>> some minced pork. However, I completely underestimated the amount of
>>> water needed to cook the dry stuff. The mix expanded so much that I had
>>> to transfer it to a bigger pot whereupon it absorbed even more water. I
>>> ended up with enough to feed the 5k from a 500g packet!

>> How did it taste? I make my own soup but sometimes would like a
>> change, but not canned, can't stand that anymore. What was the Brand
>> etc?

>Having been raised on Campbell's canned soups, I never became a major
>soup eater. Fortunately, eating on the road a lot acquainted me with
>hand made soups and I realized how good they can be. My mother was a
>great cook, but her soups..... not so much. My first experiments with
>soup making turned out badly. Somewhere along the line I learned how to
>make some good soups. If I could only learn to freeze the excess so
>that I don't end up getting sick of eating the same soup every day for a
>week.

I repurpose those BioBest yogurt containers, 750 ml, and freeze. I
deliberately make a huge stock pot of it so that I will have at least
10-11 containers for the freezer. Those pots 3/4 full nicely make one
soup plate of soup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >> How did it taste? I make my own soup but sometimes would like a
> >> change, but not canned, can't stand that anymore. What was the Brand
> >> etc?

> >Having been raised on Campbell's canned soups, I never became a major
> >soup eater. Fortunately, eating on the road a lot acquainted me with
> >hand made soups and I realized how good they can be. My mother was a
> >great cook, but her soups..... not so much. My first experiments with
> >soup making turned out badly. Somewhere along the line I learned how to
> >make some good soups. If I could only learn to freeze the excess so
> >that I don't end up getting sick of eating the same soup every day for a
> >week.
> >

> I repurpose those BioBest yogurt containers, 750 ml, and freeze. I
> deliberately make a huge stock pot of it so that I will have at least
> 10-11 containers for the freezer. Those pots 3/4 full nicely make one
> soup plate of soup.

I always make stock and soup in large amounts. I always freeze
either in 2 cup containers. It's a convenient size to use in
whatever suits you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 7:24:49 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Mar 2018 18:04:04 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

> >> How did it taste? I make my own soup but sometimes would like a
> >> change, but not canned, can't stand that anymore. What was the Brand
> >> etc?

> >Having been raised on Campbell's canned soups, I never became a major
> >soup eater. Fortunately, eating on the road a lot acquainted me with
> >hand made soups and I realized how good they can be. My mother was a
> >great cook, but her soups..... not so much. My first experiments with
> >soup making turned out badly. Somewhere along the line I learned how to
> >make some good soups. If I could only learn to freeze the excess so
> >that I don't end up getting sick of eating the same soup every day for a
> >week.
> >

> I repurpose those BioBest yogurt containers, 750 ml, and freeze. I
> deliberately make a huge stock pot of it so that I will have at least
> 10-11 containers for the freezer. Those pots 3/4 full nicely make one
> soup plate of soup.

I use quart ziploc bags, frozen flat with maybe 1 to 1.5 cups of soup
in them. That way, I don't have to plan ahead; I can just come home
for lunch, break one up with my hands, into a glass bowl and into the
microwave. I most often make red lentil soup, with pretty plain
flavoring. Then when I reheat it, I add cauliflower, cabbage,
kielbasa, bacon bits, curry powder, sumac powder, or some other
flavorful add-in.

I also freeze vegetable soup. If I come up with the last bag kind
of short, I mark it and will mix vegetable soup with lentil soup,
although the veg soup is pretty much standalone.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-03 5:04 AM, Janet wrote:
> In article >,
> says...

>>> I was given a small packet of fancy-schmancy legume mix for soup. I made
>>> it yesterday following the recipe on the packet adding the trinity and
>>> some minced pork. However, I completely underestimated the amount of
>>> water needed to cook the dry stuff. The mix expanded so much that I had
>>> to transfer it to a bigger pot whereupon it absorbed even more water. I
>>> ended up with enough to feed the 5k from a 500g packet!

>> I guess we need more experience. The only legume soup I make regularly
>> is French Canadian Pea Soup and I add lots of water and let it cook down
>> until the peas are mushy. I often use leftover lamb bones to make a
>> sort of Scotch Broth, or use beef broth to make beef and barley. No
>> matter how much barley I add it always ends up being way too much. I
>> want enough to have some of that barley goodness, but my intent is to
>> make a lamb or beef soup with barley, not a barley mush.

> "Scotch broth mix" (mixed legumes plus barley) is far from fancy-
> schmancy :-)Home made soup is very traditional and popular in Scotland.

My derogatory term really referred to the twee, ribboned package that
tried to add glamour to a peasant dish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Mar 2018 12:04:23 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
>says...

>> > I was given a small packet of fancy-schmancy legume mix for soup. I made
>> > it yesterday following the recipe on the packet adding the trinity and
>> > some minced pork. However, I completely underestimated the amount of
>> > water needed to cook the dry stuff. The mix expanded so much that I had
>> > to transfer it to a bigger pot whereupon it absorbed even more water. I
>> > ended up with enough to feed the 5k from a 500g packet!

>> I guess we need more experience. The only legume soup I make regularly
>> is French Canadian Pea Soup and I add lots of water and let it cook down
>> until the peas are mushy. I often use leftover lamb bones to make a
>> sort of Scotch Broth, or use beef broth to make beef and barley. No
>> matter how much barley I add it always ends up being way too much. I
>> want enough to have some of that barley goodness, but my intent is to
>> make a lamb or beef soup with barley, not a barley mush.

> "Scotch broth mix" (mixed legumes plus barley) is far from fancy-
>schmancy :-)Home made soup is very traditional and popular in Scotland.

https://farmersgirlkitchen.co.uk/201...h-like-a-scot/

> If you scroll down to the pics you'll see how little of the dried mix
>is needed. I recommend overnight pre-soaking otherwise the peas stay
>hard.
>
> For that reason I more often use either lentils or pearl barley in
>soups, both cook quite quickly and neither need pre-soaking.
>
> Janet UK

I looked around on the 'Net for recipes and see that many of them call
for lamb to produce the broth. Do you use lamb or do you do the
vegetarian version in your link.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> > soup. I made >>> it yesterday following the recipe on the packet
> > adding the trinity and >>> some minced pork. However, I completely
> > underestimated the amount of >>> water needed to cook the dry
> > stuff. The mix expanded so much that I had >>> to transfer it to a
> > bigger pot whereupon it absorbed even more water. I >>> ended up
> > with enough to feed the 5k from a 500g packet!

> > Brand >> etc?
> > >
> > > Having been raised on Campbell's canned soups, I never became a
> > > major soup eater. Fortunately, eating on the road a lot
> > > acquainted me with hand made soups and I realized how good they
> > > can be. My mother was a great cook, but her soups..... not so
> > > much. My first experiments with soup making turned out badly.
> > > Somewhere along the line I learned how to make some good soups.
> > > If I could only learn to freeze the excess so that I don't end up
> > > getting sick of eating the same soup every day for a week.
> > >

> > I repurpose those BioBest yogurt containers, 750 ml, and freeze. I
> > deliberately make a huge stock pot of it so that I will have at
> > least 10-11 containers for the freezer. Those pots 3/4 full nicely
> > make one soup plate of soup.

> I always make stock and soup in large amounts. I always freeze
> either in 2 cup containers. It's a convenient size to use in
> whatever suits you.

I do similar to you and Cindy. Stock for the dogs as well as us.
Simple to do from leftover cooked poultry bones.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:

> I was given a small packet of fancy-schmancy legume mix.

Graham thinks his bean farts don't schtink.

There's no such thing as "fancy-schmancy" beans unless they are the
ones Jack used to grow his beanstalk for stealing the giant's golden
goose.