Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking quantities

I often wonder about the items in recipes that are in very low quantity.
Like a pinch of this or that - often salt. Or a quarter or half teaspoon of
something. If a strong spice than I can see the small amount, but
otherwise... Or a teaspoon of something other than a spice that seems
unrelated to the rest of the items.

Sometimes I skip these items or forget to add them and mostly haven't
tasted any difference.

TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Dienstag, 27. Februar 2018 18:47:24 UTC+1 schrieb Wayne Boatwright:
> On Tue 27 Feb 2018 10:39:30a, KenK told us...
>
> > I often wonder about the items in recipes that are in very low
> > quantity. Like a pinch of this or that - often salt. Or a quarter
> > or half teaspoon of something. If a strong spice than I can see
> > the small amount, but otherwise... Or a teaspoon of something
> > other than a spice that seems unrelated to the rest of the items.
> >
> > Sometimes I skip these items or forget to add them and mostly
> > haven't tasted any difference.
> >
> > TIA
> >

> There is no spice or herb that I would consider adding if less than a
> half teaspoon, with the possible exception of cayenne pepper.

Saffron. ;-)

Seriously: Nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, juniper berries, allspice,...
To name a few.

Bye, Sanne
Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:

> I often wonder about the items in recipes that are in very low
> quantity. Like a pinch of this or that - often salt. Or a quarter or
> half teaspoon of something. If a strong spice than I can see the
> small amount, but otherwise... Or a teaspoon of something other than
> a spice that seems unrelated to the rest of the items.
>
> Sometimes I skip these items or forget to add them and mostly haven't
> tasted any difference.

That depends to a large extent on the size of the dish. If you're
preparing a small single meal, those amounts can be significant.
Especially salt. When I make oatmeal, I use a bit over 1/4 tsp of salt.
I guarantee you'll notice the difference if you vary that by much.

I'm not even sure what your point is. Most recipes should be considered
starting points. If decrease or increase an ingredient and like it
better, then great.

Brian

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 19:50:02 -0000 (UTC), "Default User"
> wrote:

>KenK wrote:
>
>> I often wonder about the items in recipes that are in very low
>> quantity. Like a pinch of this or that - often salt. Or a quarter or
>> half teaspoon of something. If a strong spice than I can see the
>> small amount, but otherwise... Or a teaspoon of something other than
>> a spice that seems unrelated to the rest of the items.
>>
>> Sometimes I skip these items or forget to add them and mostly haven't
>> tasted any difference.

>That depends to a large extent on the size of the dish. If you're
>preparing a small single meal, those amounts can be significant.
>Especially salt. When I make oatmeal, I use a bit over 1/4 tsp of salt.
>I guarantee you'll notice the difference if you vary that by much.
>
>I'm not even sure what your point is. Most recipes should be considered
>starting points. If decrease or increase an ingredient and like it
>better, then great.

The point is that sometimes the amount is so small that the whole
addition is pointless.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 19:50:02 -0000 (UTC), "Default User"
> > wrote:

> > I'm not even sure what your point is. Most recipes should be
> > considered starting points. If decrease or increase an ingredient
> > and like it better, then great.

> The point is that sometimes the amount is so small that the whole
> addition is pointless.

On occasion. I do get amused with things like a pot of chili that has a
1/4 tsp of cayenne in it. But again, it's about proportions. It's not
possible to say whether an addition is meaningful or not without the
size of the recipe.

Brian
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 21:19:40 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Tue 27 Feb 2018 01:20:44p, Default User told us...
>
>> Bruce wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 19:50:02 -0000 (UTC), "Default User"

>>> The point is that sometimes the amount is so small that the whole
>>> addition is pointless.

>> On occasion. I do get amused with things like a pot of chili that
>> has a 1/4 tsp of cayenne in it. But again, it's about proportions.
>> It's not possible to say whether an addition is meaningful or not
>> without the size of the recipe.
>>

>> Brian
>>

>Agreed.

Of course! If you're making a cup of tea, a quarter teaspoon of salt
will make a big difference. But a teaspoon of paprika powder in a big
pot of you name it, won't do anything.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
>I often wonder about the items in recipes that are in very low quantity.
> Like a pinch of this or that - often salt. Or a quarter or half teaspoon
> of
> something. If a strong spice than I can see the small amount, but
> otherwise... Or a teaspoon of something other than a spice that seems
> unrelated to the rest of the items.
>
> Sometimes I skip these items or forget to add them and mostly haven't
> tasted any difference.
>
> TIA

I rarely follow a recipe to the letter and I rarely measure my seasonings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dont follow recipes and reap. After years of trying you can master it. Cook only for you for one month. Really. You. Only you. Cook the stuff you never cooked but want. A few weeks is minor. I will do it with you if you want.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 17:47:15 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Tue 27 Feb 2018 10:39:30a, KenK told us...
>
>> I often wonder about the items in recipes that are in very low
>> quantity. Like a pinch of this or that - often salt. Or a quarter
>> or half teaspoon of something. If a strong spice than I can see
>> the small amount, but otherwise... Or a teaspoon of something
>> other than a spice that seems unrelated to the rest of the items.
>>
>> Sometimes I skip these items or forget to add them and mostly
>> haven't tasted any difference.
>>
>> TIA
>>

>There is no spice or herb that I would consider adding if less than a
>half teaspoon, with the possible exception of cayenne pepper.

how about nutmeg in a sauce?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 7:31:40 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 6:16:07 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>

> Dont follow recipes and reap. After years of trying you can master it. Cook only for you for one month. Really. You. Only you. Cook the stuff you never cooked but want. A few weeks is minor. I will do it with you if you want.

I will start. Tomorrow is an anglehair with clams, butter and garlic. Cheap texas toast. Cheap ice 101. 2 bucks per shot

She hates that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 6:40:35 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> how about nutmeg in a sauce?
> Janet US

When I first moved away from home I found a recipe for some sort
of broccoli dish. It called for a bit of nutmeg and I dutifully
added it and I did not like it all. To me, nutmeg belongs in some
sort of dessert dish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 3:19:54 PM UTC-6, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Agreed. I will say that cayenne pepper can be quite hot. Depending
> on the recipe I will add 1/4 teaspoon at a time until the degree of
> "heat" is acceptable to me.

Last week I made a large quantity of a dry rub and one of the
ingredients was a tablespoon of cayenne. I chickened out and
only added 1/2 teaspoon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 7:46:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 6:40:35 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >
> > how about nutmeg in a sauce?
> > Janet US
> >

> When I first moved away from home I found a recipe for some sort
> of broccoli dish. It called for a bit of nutmeg and I dutifully
> added it and I did not like it all. To me, nutmeg belongs in some
> sort of dessert dish.

It is expenive. I will use it but use cheap shit for color.

In a cauliflour dish, curry is a game changer. Ooooops. For me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 7:02:01 PM UTC-6, Thomas wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 7:46:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>

> > When I first moved away from home I found a recipe for some sort
> > of broccoli dish. It called for a bit of nutmeg and I dutifully
> > added it and I did not like it all. To me, nutmeg belongs in some
> > sort of dessert dish.

> It is expenive. I will use it but use cheap shit for color.

Whole nutmegs are not expensive and you can rasp it fresh with a
microplane.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.amazon.ca/s/field-keywor...nch%20nutmeg%2
>> 0graters/?tag=ezvid-20
>>
>> http://tiny.cc/ybsfry
>>
>> But mine are made of maple.
>> Graham
>>

> I bought a nutmeg grater/shaver of an almost identical design about
> 40 years ago and it still works like new. It's made of maple or
> perhaps some other hard wood. Like the one pictured, it is spring
> loaded. It has a very sharp blade at the bottom that shaves the
> nutmeg rather than grating it.

They are a bit awkward to load as it loads from the bottom and the
spring is strong. I think I still have a spare mechanism in my projects
box along with some pepper-mill parts.

> It's always amazed me how long whole nutmegs maintain their aroma and
> flavor.

That's my experience too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> > When I first moved away from home I found a recipe for some sort
>> > of broccoli dish. It called for a bit of nutmeg and I dutifully
>> > added it and I did not like it all. To me, nutmeg belongs in some
>> > sort of dessert dish.

>> It is expenive. I will use it but use cheap shit for color.
>>

>Whole nutmegs are not expensive and you can rasp it fresh with a
>microplane.

Was a time Penseys included whole nutmegs, cinnamon sticks, and a ton
of bay leaves as packing material... I'm still using those nutmegs,
will never use them all as no recipe calls for much nutmeg.
They are easy to grate on a kitchen grater... can even use a small
metal nailfile.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-27 10:13 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 27 Feb 2018 09:28:44p, graham told us...

> I'd love to see a picture of the ones you've made. In my experience
> folks who do that type of wood working create beautiful work.

I've given all but one away and it is *very* utilitarian in form. Lately
I've been concentrating on deep, hollow turnings. These are forms
hollowed out through a small hole in the top. The bigger in the photo
below are about 9" (230mm) tall.

https://postimg.org/image/xrlmd6px1/

All will be donated to a "Beads of Courage" fund raiser. It's a
children's charity that many wood turners support.
http://www.beadsofcourage.org/
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-27 10:13 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 27 Feb 2018 09:28:44p, graham told us...

> I'd love to see a picture of the ones you've made. In my experience
> folks who do that type of wood working create beautiful work.

I've given all but one away and it is *very* utilitarian in form. Lately
I've been concentrating on deep, hollow turnings. These are forms
hollowed out through a small hole in the top. The bigger in the photo
below are about 9" (230mm) tall.

https://postimg.org/image/xrlmd6px1/

All will be donated to a "Beads of Courage" fund raiser. It's a
children's charity that many wood turners support.
http://www.beadsofcourage.org/
Graham
==

Did you make those? They are beautiful!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 08:48:49 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2018-02-27 10:13 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Tue 27 Feb 2018 09:28:44p, graham told us...

>> I'd love to see a picture of the ones you've made. In my experience
>> folks who do that type of wood working create beautiful work.
>>

>I've given all but one away and it is *very* utilitarian in form. Lately
>I've been concentrating on deep, hollow turnings. These are forms
>hollowed out through a small hole in the top. The bigger in the photo
>below are about 9" (230mm) tall.
>
>https://postimg.org/image/xrlmd6px1/
>
>All will be donated to a "Beads of Courage" fund raiser. It's a
>children's charity that many wood turners support.
>http://www.beadsofcourage.org/
>Graham

I am sure they will get plenty of bids on them, truly lovely!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-28 9:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "graham"Â* wrote in message news > On 2018-02-27 10:13 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Tue 27 Feb 2018 09:28:44p, graham told us...

>> I'd love to see a picture of the ones you've made.Â* In my experience
>> folks who do that type of wood working create beautiful work.
>>

> I've given all but one away and it is *very* utilitarian in form. Lately
> I've been concentrating on deep, hollow turnings. These are forms
> hollowed out through a small hole in the top. The bigger in the photo
> below are about 9" (230mm) tall.
>
> https://postimg.org/image/xrlmd6px1/
>
> All will be donated to a "Beads of Courage" fund raiser. It's a
> children's charity that many wood turners support.
> http://www.beadsofcourage.org/
> Graham
> ==
>
> Did youÂ* make those?Â*Â* They are beautiful!!

Yes. Many hours of work there. Thanks, O!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 5:49:02 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> I've given all but one away and it is *very* utilitarian in form. Lately
> I've been concentrating on deep, hollow turnings. These are forms
> hollowed out through a small hole in the top. The bigger in the photo
> below are about 9" (230mm) tall.
>
> https://postimg.org/image/xrlmd6px1/
>
> All will be donated to a "Beads of Courage" fund raiser. It's a
> children's charity that many wood turners support.
> http://www.beadsofcourage.org/
> Graham

Burl maple is beautiful stuff. It's like liquid wood. My understanding is that it's a little hard to turn. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-28 10:07 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 5:49:02 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
>> I've given all but one away and it is *very* utilitarian in form. Lately
>> I've been concentrating on deep, hollow turnings. These are forms
>> hollowed out through a small hole in the top. The bigger in the photo
>> below are about 9" (230mm) tall.
>>
>> https://postimg.org/image/xrlmd6px1/
>>
>> All will be donated to a "Beads of Courage" fund raiser. It's a
>> children's charity that many wood turners support.
>> http://www.beadsofcourage.org/
>> Graham

> Burl maple is beautiful stuff. It's like liquid wood. My understanding is that it's a little hard to turn. Thanks.

These are all Manitoba Maple (Box Elder) Acer negundo. It is a soft
maple and tears easily so sharp tools are essential. Like all burls, it
can contain bark inclusions (evident in the left rear one) that can be
solidified with super-glue. I started another one at the w/e and after
getting close to the final form I discovered a large stress crack that
ruined its "value" so it's in the discard pile.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 08:48:49 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2018-02-27 10:13 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Tue 27 Feb 2018 09:28:44p, graham told us...

>> I'd love to see a picture of the ones you've made. In my experience
>> folks who do that type of wood working create beautiful work.
>>

>I've given all but one away and it is *very* utilitarian in form. Lately
>I've been concentrating on deep, hollow turnings. These are forms
>hollowed out through a small hole in the top. The bigger in the photo
>below are about 9" (230mm) tall.
>
>https://postimg.org/image/xrlmd6px1/
>
>All will be donated to a "Beads of Courage" fund raiser. It's a
>children's charity that many wood turners support.
>http://www.beadsofcourage.org/
>Graham

those are absolutely beautiful, Graham. Lovely.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-28 9:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "graham" wrote in message news > On 2018-02-27 10:13 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Tue 27 Feb 2018 09:28:44p, graham told us...

>> I'd love to see a picture of the ones you've made. In my experience
>> folks who do that type of wood working create beautiful work.
>>

> I've given all but one away and it is *very* utilitarian in form. Lately
> I've been concentrating on deep, hollow turnings. These are forms
> hollowed out through a small hole in the top. The bigger in the photo
> below are about 9" (230mm) tall.
>
> https://postimg.org/image/xrlmd6px1/
>
> All will be donated to a "Beads of Courage" fund raiser. It's a
> children's charity that many wood turners support.
> http://www.beadsofcourage.org/
> Graham
> ==
>
> Did you make those? They are beautiful!!

Yes. Many hours of work there. Thanks, O!

==

I am hugely impressed!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

wrote:

> >> I've made several on the lathe that look a bit like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/s/field-keywor...nch%20nutmeg%2
> >> 0graters/?tag=ezvid-20
> >>
> >> http://tiny.cc/ybsfry
> >>
> >> But mine are made of maple.
> >> Graham
> >>

> > I bought a nutmeg grater/shaver of an almost identical design about
> > 40 years ago and it still works like new. It's made of maple or
> > perhaps some other hard wood. Like the one pictured, it is spring
> > loaded. It has a very sharp blade at the bottom that shaves the
> > nutmeg rather than grating it.

> They are a bit awkward to load as it loads from the bottom and the
> spring is strong. I think I still have a spare mechanism in my projects
> box along with some pepper-mill parts.
>

> > It's always amazed me how long whole nutmegs maintain their aroma and
> > flavor.

I use a simple SS nutmeg grater like this. A whole nutmeg can be
stored in the top.

https://www.tesco.com/direct/kitchen...-steel-nutmeg-
spice-grater-carded/426-9567.prd?source=others

Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "graham" wrote in message news > On 2018-02-28 9:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "graham" wrote in message news >> On 2018-02-27 10:13 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Tue 27 Feb 2018 09:28:44p, graham told us...

>>> I'd love to see a picture of the ones you've made. In my experience
>>> folks who do that type of wood working create beautiful work.
>>>

>> I've given all but one away and it is *very* utilitarian in form. Lately
>> I've been concentrating on deep, hollow turnings. These are forms
>> hollowed out through a small hole in the top. The bigger in the photo
>> below are about 9" (230mm) tall.
>>
>> https://postimg.org/image/xrlmd6px1/
>>
>> All will be donated to a "Beads of Courage" fund raiser. It's a
>> children's charity that many wood turners support.
>> http://www.beadsofcourage.org/
>> Graham
>> ==
>>
>> Did you make those? They are beautiful!!

> Yes. Many hours of work there. Thanks, O!
>
> ==
>
> I am hugely impressed!!!

Me too, just gorgeous.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 08:48:49 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2018-02-27 10:13 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Tue 27 Feb 2018 09:28:44p, graham told us...

>> I'd love to see a picture of the ones you've made. In my experience
>> folks who do that type of wood working create beautiful work.
>>

>I've given all but one away and it is *very* utilitarian in form. Lately
>I've been concentrating on deep, hollow turnings. These are forms
>hollowed out through a small hole in the top. The bigger in the photo
>below are about 9" (230mm) tall.
>
>https://postimg.org/image/xrlmd6px1/

Those look like plumb bobs... what kind of wood is that, looks like
sycamore/buttonwood.

>All will be donated to a "Beads of Courage" fund raiser. It's a
>children's charity that many wood turners support.
>http://www.beadsofcourage.org/
>Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-28 11:41 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> I've given all but one away and it is *very* utilitarian in form.
>>> Lately I've been concentrating on deep, hollow turnings. These are
>>> forms hollowed out through a small hole in the top. The bigger in the
>>> photo below are about 9" (230mm) tall.
>>>
>>> https://postimg.org/image/xrlmd6px1/
>>>
>>> All will be donated to a "Beads of Courage" fund raiser. It's a
>>> children's charity that many wood turners support.
>>> http://www.beadsofcourage.org/
>>> Graham
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Did you* make those?** They are beautiful!!

>> Yes. Many hours of work there. Thanks, O!
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I am hugely impressed!!!

> Me too, just gorgeous.
>
> Cheri

Thanks!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-28 10:40 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 08:48:49 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
>> On 2018-02-27 10:13 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Tue 27 Feb 2018 09:28:44p, graham told us...

>>> I'd love to see a picture of the ones you've made. In my experience
>>> folks who do that type of wood working create beautiful work.
>>>

>> I've given all but one away and it is *very* utilitarian in form. Lately
>> I've been concentrating on deep, hollow turnings. These are forms
>> hollowed out through a small hole in the top. The bigger in the photo
>> below are about 9" (230mm) tall.
>>
>> https://postimg.org/image/xrlmd6px1/
>>
>> All will be donated to a "Beads of Courage" fund raiser. It's a
>> children's charity that many wood turners support.
>> http://www.beadsofcourage.org/
>> Graham

> those are absolutely beautiful, Graham. Lovely.
> Janet US

Thank you Janet!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-28 10:53 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 28 Feb 2018 08:48:49a, graham told us...
>

> Graham, those are absolutely beautiful. Truly works of art! Thank
> you for sending the picture.

Thank you Wayne! Getting the outside form is one thing but I enjoy the
technical challenge of hollowing out the interior through a small
opening. I finished the one to the rear right a few days ago and managed
to get a wall thickness of ~3mm.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 7:18:49 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> On 2018-02-28 10:07 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 5:49:02 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> >> I've given all but one away and it is *very* utilitarian in form. Lately
> >> I've been concentrating on deep, hollow turnings. These are forms
> >> hollowed out through a small hole in the top. The bigger in the photo
> >> below are about 9" (230mm) tall.
> >>
> >> https://postimg.org/image/xrlmd6px1/
> >>
> >> All will be donated to a "Beads of Courage" fund raiser. It's a
> >> children's charity that many wood turners support.
> >> http://www.beadsofcourage.org/
> >> Graham

> > Burl maple is beautiful stuff. It's like liquid wood. My understanding is that it's a little hard to turn. Thanks.
> >

> These are all Manitoba Maple (Box Elder) Acer negundo. It is a soft
> maple and tears easily so sharp tools are essential. Like all burls, it
> can contain bark inclusions (evident in the left rear one) that can be
> solidified with super-glue. I started another one at the w/e and after
> getting close to the final form I discovered a large stress crack that
> ruined its "value" so it's in the discard pile.
> Graham

I have a guitar made of burled maple. It's actually a thick bookmarked laminate. Beautiful stuff! I also use to have a bass guitar with a burled wood finish but I was dismayed to find out it was lithographed onto the wood. I gave it to my nephew because it had 5 strings instead of 4. That was too confusing for this old dog to play.

https://www.talkbass.com/attachments...-1-jpg.355938/