Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Accidents happen - dammit!

I made curry for last night's dinner with enough for a further three
meals. Later in the evening, after it cooled, I transferred it to a
glass dish to store it in the fridge. I picked up the glass lid and it
slipped out of my hand and "mortally" damaged my favourite coffee mug. I
checked the lid and there was a place where it was chipped but I
couldn't be sure whether it was historical or not. Result? Three meals
binned!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 13:32:00 -0700, graham > wrote:

>I made curry for last night's dinner with enough for a further three
>meals. Later in the evening, after it cooled, I transferred it to a
>glass dish to store it in the fridge. I picked up the glass lid and it
>slipped out of my hand and "mortally" damaged my favourite coffee mug. I
>checked the lid and there was a place where it was chipped but I
>couldn't be sure whether it was historical or not. Result? Three meals
>binned!
>Graham

The question is, what did you do to upset the kitchen fairies? Better
find a way to appease them quick!
Sorry to hear about your dish and dinner :{
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 13:32:00 -0700, graham > wrote:

>I made curry for last night's dinner with enough for a further three
>meals. Later in the evening, after it cooled, I transferred it to a
>glass dish to store it in the fridge. I picked up the glass lid and it
>slipped out of my hand and "mortally" damaged my favourite coffee mug. I
>checked the lid and there was a place where it was chipped but I
>couldn't be sure whether it was historical or not. Result? Three meals
>binned!
>Graham

Console yourself in that curry is no great loss. The first and last
time I was faced with curry was at a fancy schmancy Indian restaurant
in Manhattan. The appetizers were okay goog flat bread slathered with
ghee and veggie sticks in perfumed ice water but I must say the
perfume was remeniscent of young teenage vagina so quite acceptable
to moi.
When the curry arrived it was served in tall ornate cylindrical metal
thingies that seemed half filled with lamb fat, what a schtink!!!;
BLECH. I had ordered chicken curry. I sent that lamb grease back and
departed, that was my first and last affair with Indian food... had
to be 45 years ago. No Indian food will ever get another chance with
me. I do NOT do lamb.... I'd much prefer calves liver. I don't think
Indian peeps have clue how to cook... only thing culinary they know is
which hand to wipe their butt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 13:32:00 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
>> I made curry for last night's dinner with enough for a further three
>> meals. Later in the evening, after it cooled, I transferred it to a
>> glass dish to store it in the fridge. I picked up the glass lid and it
>> slipped out of my hand and "mortally" damaged my favourite coffee mug. I
>> checked the lid and there was a place where it was chipped but I
>> couldn't be sure whether it was historical or not. Result? Three meals
>> binned!
>> Graham

> Console yourself in that curry is no great loss. The first and last
> time I was faced with curry was at a fancy schmancy Indian restaurant
> in Manhattan. The appetizers were okay goog flat bread slathered with
> ghee and veggie sticks in perfumed ice water but I must say the
> perfume was remeniscent of young teenage vagina so quite acceptable
> to moi.
> When the curry arrived it was served in tall ornate cylindrical metal
> thingies that seemed half filled with lamb fat, what a schtink!!!;
> BLECH. I had ordered chicken curry. I sent that lamb grease back and
> departed, that was my first and last affair with Indian food... had
> to be 45 years ago. No Indian food will ever get another chance with
> me. I do NOT do lamb.... I'd much prefer calves liver. I don't think
> Indian peeps have clue how to cook... only thing culinary they know is
> which hand to wipe their butt.

Dammit, it is officially Crystal Palace time. **** on that lamb stuff,
pass the booze!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
news
>I made curry for last night's dinner with enough for a further three meals.
>Later in the evening, after it cooled, I transferred it to a glass dish to
>store it in the fridge. I picked up the glass lid and it slipped out of my
>hand and "mortally" damaged my favourite coffee mug. I checked the lid and
>there was a place where it was chipped but I couldn't be sure whether it
>was historical or not. Result? Three meals binned!
> Graham

I hate when that happens.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-24 2:26 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 13:32:00 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
>> I made curry for last night's dinner with enough for a further three
>> meals. Later in the evening, after it cooled, I transferred it to a
>> glass dish to store it in the fridge. I picked up the glass lid and it
>> slipped out of my hand and "mortally" damaged my favourite coffee mug. I
>> checked the lid and there was a place where it was chipped but I
>> couldn't be sure whether it was historical or not. Result? Three meals
>> binned!
>> Graham

> The question is, what did you do to upset the kitchen fairies? Better
> find a way to appease them quick!
> Sorry to hear about your dish and dinner :{
> Janet US

Thanks! It just means that I'll have to cook something else tonight.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-24 4:32 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "graham" > wrote in message
> news
>> I made curry for last night's dinner with enough for a further three
>> meals. Later in the evening, after it cooled, I transferred it to a
>> glass dish to store it in the fridge. I picked up the glass lid and it
>> slipped out of my hand and "mortally" damaged my favourite coffee mug.
>> I checked the lid and there was a place where it was chipped but I
>> couldn't be sure whether it was historical or not. Result? Three meals
>> binned!
>> Graham

> I hate when that happens.
>
> Cheri

Well one just has to shrug one's shoulders and plan on something else to
eat on the following nights. The coffee mug was bought from the potter
and I've been using it for at least 25 years. I suppose it's a wonder
that it has lasted so long.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-24 4:38 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 24 Feb 2018 01:32:00p, graham told us...
>
>> I made curry for last night's dinner with enough for a further
>> three meals. Later in the evening, after it cooled, I transferred
>> it to a glass dish to store it in the fridge. I picked up the
>> glass lid and it slipped out of my hand and "mortally" damaged my
>> favourite coffee mug. I checked the lid and there was a place
>> where it was chipped but I couldn't be sure whether it was
>> historical or not. Result? Three meals binned!
>> Graham

> Really sorry to hear about your accident and losing the curry but, as
> you know, s*** happens! It's pity that nothing was retrievable.
>
> <long response> Some years ago I had probably the worst messy
> accident possible, although the food loss was negible.
>
> We had company for a casual Sunday brunch. I made waffles, fried
> homemade sausage and bacon, pure maple syrup, melted butter, and
> fresh fruit.
>
> At that time we had a pullman kitchen with a single 12' counter on
> one side of the kitchen that included a built-in electric cooktop
> with coils. The other side had built in ovens, sink, and dishwasher,
> and some remaining countertop. Also on the countere was an
> electric glass percolator, waffle iron, half-filled batter bowl of
> waffle batter, glass pitchers with the syrup and one with the butter,
> and the remaining fresh fruit it a glass serving bowl.
>
> The waffle iron had removable/reversable grids. As I prepared to
> clean up I started a chain reaction by remnoving the lower grid on
> the waffle iron which made it top heavy. One after the other the
> waffle iron hit the batter bowl which shattered, which then hit the
> syrup and butter pitchers, the coffee maker, and the serving bowl of
> fruit. Each vessel was at least half full and every one of them
> shattered, spattering the contents into the cooktop, onto the
> counter, the walls, floor, and some even hit the ceiliong. I just
> wanted to run away! It took two days of cleaning, and we ate all of
> our meals out for the rest of the week.

Crikey! And I'm complaining?
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-24 4:46 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 24 Feb 2018 04:39:38p, graham told us...
>
>> On 2018-02-24 2:26 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> The question is, what did you do to upset the kitchen fairies?
>>> Better find a way to appease them quick!
>>> Sorry to hear about your dish and dinner :{
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Thanks! It just means that I'll have to cook something else
>> tonight. Graham
>>

> This morning I baked rolls for Philly Cheesteseak Sandwiches. We'll
> have salads to go with. I also baked a fresh cherry pie that I had
> made and frozen a month or so ago. Nothing special, but tastyl.

I'll cook some pork tonight and perhaps open a pinot noir.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sat 24 Feb 2018 01:32:00p, graham told us...
>
> > I made curry for last night's dinner with enough for a further
> > three meals. Later in the evening, after it cooled, I transferred
> > it to a glass dish to store it in the fridge. I picked up the
> > glass lid and it slipped out of my hand and "mortally" damaged my
> > favourite coffee mug. I checked the lid and there was a place
> > where it was chipped but I couldn't be sure whether it was
> > historical or not. Result? Three meals binned!
> > Graham

> Really sorry to hear about your accident and losing the curry but, as
> you know, s*** happens! It's pity that nothing was retrievable.
>
> <long response> Some years ago I had probably the worst messy
> accident possible, although the food loss was negible.
>
> We had company for a casual Sunday brunch. I made waffles, fried
> homemade sausage and bacon, pure maple syrup, melted butter, and
> fresh fruit.
>
> At that time we had a pullman kitchen with a single 12' counter on
> one side of the kitchen that included a built-in electric cooktop
> with coils. The other side had built in ovens, sink, and dishwasher,
> and some remaining countertop. Also on the countere was an
> electric glass percolator, waffle iron, half-filled batter bowl of
> waffle batter, glass pitchers with the syrup and one with the butter,
> and the remaining fresh fruit it a glass serving bowl.
>
> The waffle iron had removable/reversable grids. As I prepared to
> clean up I started a chain reaction by remnoving the lower grid on
> the waffle iron which made it top heavy. One after the other the
> waffle iron hit the batter bowl which shattered, which then hit the
> syrup and butter pitchers, the coffee maker, and the serving bowl of
> fruit. Each vessel was at least half full and every one of them
> shattered, spattering the contents into the cooktop, onto the
> counter, the walls, floor, and some even hit the ceiliong. I just
> wanted to run away! It took two days of cleaning, and we ate all of
> our meals out for the rest of the week.

If you had been attending to the task at hand instead of fellating the guests this contretemps might have been avoided...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
news
> On 2018-02-24 4:32 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "graham" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> I made curry for last night's dinner with enough for a further three
>>> meals. Later in the evening, after it cooled, I transferred it to a
>>> glass dish to store it in the fridge. I picked up the glass lid and it
>>> slipped out of my hand and "mortally" damaged my favourite coffee mug. I
>>> checked the lid and there was a place where it was chipped but I
>>> couldn't be sure whether it was historical or not. Result? Three meals
>>> binned!
>>> Graham

>> I hate when that happens.
>>
>> Cheri

> Well one just has to shrug one's shoulders and plan on something else to
> eat on the following nights. The coffee mug was bought from the potter and
> I've been using it for at least 25 years. I suppose it's a wonder that it
> has lasted so long.
> Graham

Yes, nothing to do for it but move one, but it's annoying as Hell.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.45...
> On Sat 24 Feb 2018 04:42:48p, graham told us...
>
>> On 2018-02-24 4:32 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>> "graham" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>> I made curry for last night's dinner with enough for a further
>>>

>>> I hate when that happens.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Well one just has to shrug one's shoulders and plan on something
>> else to eat on the following nights. The coffee mug was bought
>> from the potter and I've been using it for at least 25 years. I
>> suppose it's a wonder that it has lasted so long.
>> Graham
>>

> If I had a handmade favorite mug I'd be upset about it, too.
>
> When I was a kid my mother had a very old 1-cup measuring cup made of
> green glass that her grandmother had given her. One day after
> washing up the cup slipped out of her hand and crashed to the floor.
> She cried oveer that as it had a lot of sentimental vaue for her.

It seems like it never can be the run of the mill things, instead things
that mean a lot. One year our Christmas tree fell and broke some of my most
treasured ornaments, given by people who were no longer with us, but I did
put the pieces in saran type bags, tied them with ribbons and still put them
on the tree, it adds character to the tree.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 13:32:00 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
> > I made curry for last night's dinner with enough for a further
> > three meals. Later in the evening, after it cooled, I transferred
> > it to a glass dish to store it in the fridge. I picked up the glass
> > lid and it slipped out of my hand and "mortally" damaged my
> > favourite coffee mug. I checked the lid and there was a place where
> > it was chipped but I couldn't be sure whether it was historical or
> > not. Result? Three meals binned!
> > Graham

> The question is, what did you do to upset the kitchen fairies? Better
> find a way to appease them quick!
> Sorry to hear about your dish and dinner :{
> Janet US

LOL! Agree, make them little cookies fast!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 13:32:00 -0700, graham > wrote:

>I made curry for last night's dinner with enough for a further three
>meals. Later in the evening, after it cooled, I transferred it to a
>glass dish to store it in the fridge. I picked up the glass lid and it
>slipped out of my hand and "mortally" damaged my favourite coffee mug. I
>checked the lid and there was a place where it was chipped but I
>couldn't be sure whether it was historical or not. Result? Three meals
>binned!
>Graham

Sorry to hear but I think I would have still eaten the curry, but
carefully after all that work

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 13:32:00 -0700, graham > wrote:
>>
>>> I made curry for last night's dinner with enough for a further three
>>> meals. Later in the evening, after it cooled, I transferred it to a
>>> glass dish to store it in the fridge. I picked up the glass lid and it
>>> slipped out of my hand and "mortally" damaged my favourite coffee mug. I
>>> checked the lid and there was a place where it was chipped but I
>>> couldn't be sure whether it was historical or not. Result? Three meals
>>> binned!
>>> Graham

That'll teach you to use glass in the kitchen.... professional
kitchens ban glass same as pools.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 10:32:06 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> I made curry for last night's dinner with enough for a further three
> meals. Later in the evening, after it cooled, I transferred it to a
> glass dish to store it in the fridge. I picked up the glass lid and it
> slipped out of my hand and "mortally" damaged my favourite coffee mug. I
> checked the lid and there was a place where it was chipped but I
> couldn't be sure whether it was historical or not. Result? Three meals
> binned!
> Graham

My condolences for your loss. The Hawaiians know the value of curry and eat a lot of curries. It's a comfort food over here. Back in the old days, there was beef curry stew. My future wife and I would buy a Hawaiian curry stew plate lunch from the lunch wagon when we were going to the University of Hawaii. We'd sit on the grass and share it. It is something we'll remember to the end. In the early 80's Japanese style curry houses begin to pop up around here and we really dug that. The later decades would find Thai/Vietnamese curries becoming popular. The one curry that never because popular over here is Indian style curry. Why is that? Beats me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 2:27:03 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 10:32:06 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> > I made curry for last night's dinner with enough for a further three
> > meals. Later in the evening, after it cooled, I transferred it to a
> > glass dish to store it in the fridge. I picked up the glass lid and it
> > slipped out of my hand and "mortally" damaged my favourite coffee mug. I
> > checked the lid and there was a place where it was chipped but I
> > couldn't be sure whether it was historical or not. Result? Three meals
> > binned!
> > Graham

> My condolences for your loss. The Hawaiians know the value of curry and eat a lot of curries. It's a comfort food over here. Back in the old days, there was beef curry stew. My future wife and I would buy a Hawaiian curry stew plate lunch from the lunch wagon when we were going to the University of Hawaii. We'd sit on the grass and share it. It is something we'll remember to the end. In the early 80's Japanese style curry houses begin to pop up around here and we really dug that. The later decades would find Thai/Vietnamese curries becoming popular. The one curry that never because popular over here is Indian style curry. Why is that? Beats me.

Because it's spicy. Japanese curry is bland.

Incidentally, the word "curry" comes from a Hindi word, so Indian style
is the original.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 2:27:03 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 10:32:06 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> > > I made curry for last night's dinner with enough for a further
> > > three meals. Later in the evening, after it cooled, I transferred
> > > it to a glass dish to store it in the fridge. I picked up the
> > > glass lid and it slipped out of my hand and "mortally" damaged my
> > > favourite coffee mug. I checked the lid and there was a place
> > > where it was chipped but I couldn't be sure whether it was
> > > historical or not. Result? Three meals binned!
> > > Graham

> > My condolences for your loss. The Hawaiians know the value of curry
> > and eat a lot of curries. It's a comfort food over here. Back in
> > the old days, there was beef curry stew. My future wife and I would
> > buy a Hawaiian curry stew plate lunch from the lunch wagon when we
> > were going to the University of Hawaii. We'd sit on the grass and
> > share it. It is something we'll remember to the end. In the early
> > 80's Japanese style curry houses begin to pop up around here and we
> > really dug that. The later decades would find Thai/Vietnamese
> > curries becoming popular. The one curry that never because popular
> > over here is Indian style curry. Why is that? Beats me.

> Because it's spicy. Japanese curry is bland.
>
> Incidentally, the word "curry" comes from a Hindi word, so Indian
> style is the original.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Hi Cindy,

I agree that most Japanese Curries are of a medium heat (or mild) but
it also varies a bit by region. Since I lived on Kyushu, many of the
foods had a fair Korean influence.

One of the things I really liked was the Japanese version of KimChee.
Now that takes a little explaining. They make one that can't be told
(by me at least) from the ones in Korea, but they add other types that
we called 'fresh KimChee' (not fermented, just wilted in salt water
then lightly rinsed to leave some of the salt on). It tends to be
milder spiced and has a background hint of a little vinegar someplace
(not much, just a touch). Think of it as a little bit of a cross
between pickled vegetables and Korean KimChee. Tends to mix in other
colors.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 10:30:03 AM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > My condolences for your loss. The Hawaiians know the value of curry
> > > and eat a lot of curries. It's a comfort food over here. Back in
> > > the old days, there was beef curry stew. My future wife and I would
> > > buy a Hawaiian curry stew plate lunch from the lunch wagon when we
> > > were going to the University of Hawaii. We'd sit on the grass and
> > > share it. It is something we'll remember to the end. In the early
> > > 80's Japanese style curry houses begin to pop up around here and we
> > > really dug that. The later decades would find Thai/Vietnamese
> > > curries becoming popular. The one curry that never because popular
> > > over here is Indian style curry. Why is that? Beats me.

> > Because it's spicy. Japanese curry is bland.
> >
> > Incidentally, the word "curry" comes from a Hindi word, so Indian
> > style is the original.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Hi Cindy,
>
> I agree that most Japanese Curries are of a medium heat (or mild) but
> it also varies a bit by region. Since I lived on Kyushu, many of the
> foods had a fair Korean influence.

When I hear "Japanese curry", this is what I think of:

<https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Curry-Sauce-Mild-8-4-Ounce/dp/B007FMLMFS>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 1:43:15 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Because it's spicy. Japanese curry is bland.
>
> Incidentally, the word "curry" comes from a Hindi word, so Indian style
> is the original.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

What you believe about this rock doesn't have much merit. You don't have a clue about what us guys like. We love spicy stuffs!

A more likely explanation is that there are more Japanese and Japanese restaurants in Hawaii than Indians and Indian restaurants. There was a place a few years back that served Indian style and Japan style curries. The gimmick was that you had to vote for the one you liked more. I liked the Indian style more but that doesn't change the fact that Japan style curry is king on this rock.

http://www.audubon.org/news/hawaiis-silent-extinction
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2018 3:32 PM, graham wrote:
> I made curry for last night's dinner with enough for a further three
> meals. Later in the evening, after it cooled, I transferred it to a
> glass dish to store it in the fridge. I picked up the glass lid and it
> slipped out of my hand and "mortally" damaged my favourite coffee mug. I
> checked the lid and there was a place where it was chipped but I
> couldn't be sure whether it was historical or not. Result? Three meals
> binned!
> Graham

Better to bin than take a chance on glass in your dinner. I'm sorry
about the lid, the coffee mug and the meals.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 5:30:03 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> Hi Cindy,
>
> I agree that most Japanese Curries are of a medium heat (or mild) but
> it also varies a bit by region. Since I lived on Kyushu, many of the
> foods had a fair Korean influence.
>
> One of the things I really liked was the Japanese version of KimChee.
> Now that takes a little explaining. They make one that can't be told
> (by me at least) from the ones in Korea, but they add other types that
> we called 'fresh KimChee' (not fermented, just wilted in salt water
> then lightly rinsed to leave some of the salt on). It tends to be
> milder spiced and has a background hint of a little vinegar someplace
> (not much, just a touch). Think of it as a little bit of a cross
> between pickled vegetables and Korean KimChee. Tends to mix in other
> colors.

My wife likes the fresh kim chee that the Korean guy at the mall makes. She says that it tastes like the kim chee her mom used to make. It's fairly intense. It has a strong acetone taste to it. Hopefully, it's not acetone.

I have not tasted the Japanese version - perhaps I will someday. We have a Hawaiian version of kim chee that has some Japanese influence on it. It's simpler and milder than the Korean version with less garlic and chili pepper and includes ginger, sugar, and vinegar. It was the only kind that I ate until I met my wife. She used to eat a lot of Korean style kim chee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 11:36:50 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 1:43:15 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Because it's spicy. Japanese curry is bland.
>>
>> Incidentally, the word "curry" comes from a Hindi word, so Indian style
>> is the original.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>What you believe about this rock doesn't have much merit. You don't have a clue about what us guys like. We love spicy stuffs!
>
>A more likely explanation is that there are more Japanese and Japanese restaurants in Hawaii than Indians and Indian restaurants. There was a place a few years back that served Indian style and Japan style curries. The gimmick was that you had to vote for the one you liked more. I liked the Indian style more but that doesn't change the fact that Japan style curry is king on this rock.

What you're saying is that most Hawaiians are racist.
I already knew that from your posts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 11:01:13 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> What you're saying is that most Hawaiians are racist.
> I already knew that from your posts.

You really need to up your game if yoose gonna troll me. I ain't like these other mugs. Just a friendly and most gentle of reminders.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-25 1:24 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/24/2018 3:32 PM, graham wrote:
>> I made curry for last night's dinner with enough for a further three
>> meals. Later in the evening, after it cooled, I transferred it to a
>> glass dish to store it in the fridge. I picked up the glass lid and it
>> slipped out of my hand and "mortally" damaged my favourite coffee mug.
>> I checked the lid and there was a place where it was chipped but I
>> couldn't be sure whether it was historical or not. Result? Three meals
>> binned!
>> Graham

> Better to bin than take a chance on glass in your dinner.

That was my thought even though I was 99% certain that the chip was old.

I'm sorry
> about the lid, the coffee mug and the meals.

Thanks! That's life!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 10:30:03 AM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Because it's spicy. Japanese curry is bland.
> > >
> > > Incidentally, the word "curry" comes from a Hindi word, so Indian
> > > style is the original.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > Hi Cindy,
> >
> > I agree that most Japanese Curries are of a medium heat (or mild)
> > but it also varies a bit by region. Since I lived on Kyushu, many
> > of the foods had a fair Korean influence.

> When I hear "Japanese curry", this is what I think of:

<https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Curry-Sauce-Mild-8-4-Ounce/dp/B007FMLMFS>

> Cindy Hamilton

I love that one and it's the mild version. It's almost a savory added
brown gravy. I went more for the medium myself but even the 'hot' in
tht brand isnt that hot.

Sniffing about, the bread is finishing off. This was a a simple
buttermilk and white flour with Italian seasoning and added chives.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 5:30:03 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> >
> > Hi Cindy,
> >
> > I agree that most Japanese Curries are of a medium heat (or mild)
> > but it also varies a bit by region. Since I lived on Kyushu, many
> > of the foods had a fair Korean influence.
> >
> > One of the things I really liked was the Japanese version of
> > KimChee. Now that takes a little explaining. They make one that
> > can't be told (by me at least) from the ones in Korea, but they add
> > other types that we called 'fresh KimChee' (not fermented, just
> > wilted in salt water then lightly rinsed to leave some of the salt
> > on). It tends to be milder spiced and has a background hint of a
> > little vinegar someplace (not much, just a touch). Think of it as
> > a little bit of a cross between pickled vegetables and Korean
> > KimChee. Tends to mix in other colors.

> My wife likes the fresh kim chee that the Korean guy at the mall
> makes. She says that it tastes like the kim chee her mom used to
> make. It's fairly intense. It has a strong acetone taste to it.
> Hopefully, it's not acetone.
>
> I have not tasted the Japanese version - perhaps I will someday. We
> have a Hawaiian version of kim chee that has some Japanese influence
> on it. It's simpler and milder than the Korean version with less
> garlic and chili pepper and includes ginger, sugar, and vinegar. It
> was the only kind that I ate until I met my wife. She used to eat a
> lot of Korean style kim chee.

No problem! I learned KimChee in Korea and only later saught it in
Japan then, to find the differences. There is a place here who makes
an 'American hot' level and frankly, we like that too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/25/2018 4:12 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-02-25 1:24 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 2/24/2018 3:32 PM, graham wrote:
>>> I made curry for last night's dinner with enough for a further three
>>> meals. Later in the evening, after it cooled, I transferred it to a
>>> glass dish to store it in the fridge. I picked up the glass lid and
>>> it slipped out of my hand and "mortally" damaged my favourite coffee
>>> mug. I checked the lid and there was a place where it was chipped but
>>> I couldn't be sure whether it was historical or not. Result? Three
>>> meals binned!
>>> Graham

>> Better to bin than take a chance on glass in your dinner.

> That was my thought even though I was 99% certain that the chip was old.
>
> I'm sorry
>> about the lid, the coffee mug and the meals.
>>

> Thanks! That's life!

So, three meals gone. What did you decide to cook afterwards? If you
posted about it I missed it. I'd probably have just made some
scrambled eggs and toast.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-27 7:43 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/25/2018 4:12 PM, graham wrote:

>> Thanks! That's life!

> So, three meals gone.Â* What did you decide to cook afterwards?Â* If you
> posted about it I missed it. Â* I'd probably have just made some
> scrambled eggs and toast.
>
> Jill

It happened after I'd eaten the first portion so not all was lost.
Graham