Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sushi first attempt

I had the rice cooked, the spam marinated in Teriyaki and the nori waiting.

Still no moulds or bamboo mats, so ... I just couldn't wait and bodged it
with a small silicone sheet!

The rice ... I did the 8,4,1 thing with rice vinegar, sugar and salt and
mixed it with the rice.

D tasted it and said it was good but too strong, so I added some Teriyaki
sauce and he really liked that.

So, you can see what I did. Not perfect I know but it was my first
attempt Oh the stuffing is some of the marinated spam. He loves it so
all is well

https://s9.postimg.org/xwc7ghbcf/DSCN6904.jpg

OK I am awaiting brickbats but so long as they are constructive I will be
happy

Oh btw I think I need a sharper knife to cut them or do I put the roll in
the fridge for a while first?

--
http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> I had the rice cooked, the spam marinated in Teriyaki and the nori waiting.
>
> Still no moulds or bamboo mats, so ... I just couldn't wait and bodged it
> with a small silicone sheet!
>
> The rice ... I did the 8,4,1 thing with rice vinegar, sugar and salt and
> mixed it with the rice.
>
> D tasted it and said it was good but too strong, so I added some Teriyaki
> sauce and he really liked that.
>
> So, you can see what I did. Not perfect I know but it was my first
> attempt Oh the stuffing is some of the marinated spam. He loves it so
> all is well
>
> https://s9.postimg.org/xwc7ghbcf/DSCN6904.jpg
>
> OK I am awaiting brickbats but so long as they are constructive I will be
> happy
>
> Oh btw I think I need a sharper knife to cut them or do I put the roll in
> the fridge for a while first?

Very nice first effort, Ms. O...."practice makes perfect", as the auld saying goes ;-)

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Not Steve Wertz" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> I had the rice cooked, the spam marinated in Teriyaki and the nori
> waiting.
>
> Still no moulds or bamboo mats, so ... I just couldn't wait and bodged it
> with a small silicone sheet!
>
> The rice ... I did the 8,4,1 thing with rice vinegar, sugar and salt and
> mixed it with the rice.
>
> D tasted it and said it was good but too strong, so I added some Teriyaki
> sauce and he really liked that.
>
> So, you can see what I did. Not perfect I know but it was my first
> attempt Oh the stuffing is some of the marinated spam. He loves it so
> all is well
>
> https://s9.postimg.org/xwc7ghbcf/DSCN6904.jpg
>
> OK I am awaiting brickbats but so long as they are constructive I will be
> happy
>
> Oh btw I think I need a sharper knife to cut them or do I put the roll in
> the fridge for a while first?

Very nice first effort, Ms. O...."practice makes perfect", as the auld
saying goes ;-)

Greg

==

Thanks Not too pretty but he likes them, which is all that matters
really)

I can't wait for my rice mould thingies to arrive)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-07 7:33 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> I had the rice cooked, the spam marinated in Teriyaki and the nori waiting.
>
> Still no moulds or bamboo mats, so ... I just couldn't wait and bodged
> it with a small silicone sheet!
>
> The rice ... I did the 8,4,1 thing with rice vinegar, sugar and salt and
> mixed it with the rice.
>
> D tasted it and said it was good but too strong, so I added some
> Teriyaki sauce and he really liked that.
>
> So, you can see what I did.Â* Not perfect I know but it was my first
> attemptÂ* Oh the stuffing is some of the marinated spam.Â* He loves it
> so all is well
>
> https://s9.postimg.org/xwc7ghbcf/DSCN6904.jpg
>
> OKÂ* I am awaiting brickbats but so long as they are constructive I will
> be happy
>
> Oh btw I think I need a sharper knife to cut them or do I put the roll
> in the fridge for a while first?

My then wife and I tried sushi for the first time when we were on
holiday in Hawaii.
Neither of us knew what to expect and from the "shock" of the
experience, when we left the restaurant, we walked off in opposite
directions:-)
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-07 7:33 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> I had the rice cooked, the spam marinated in Teriyaki and the nori
> waiting.
>
> Still no moulds or bamboo mats, so ... I just couldn't wait and bodged it
> with a small silicone sheet!
>
> The rice ... I did the 8,4,1 thing with rice vinegar, sugar and salt and
> mixed it with the rice.
>
> D tasted it and said it was good but too strong, so I added some Teriyaki
> sauce and he really liked that.
>
> So, you can see what I did. Not perfect I know but it was my first
> attempt Oh the stuffing is some of the marinated spam. He loves it so
> all is well
>
> https://s9.postimg.org/xwc7ghbcf/DSCN6904.jpg
>
> OK I am awaiting brickbats but so long as they are constructive I will be
> happy
>
> Oh btw I think I need a sharper knife to cut them or do I put the roll in
> the fridge for a while first?

My then wife and I tried sushi for the first time when we were on
holiday in Hawaii.
Neither of us knew what to expect and from the "shock" of the
experience, when we left the restaurant, we walked off in opposite
directions:-)
Graham

==

LOLOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Mittwoch, 7. Februar 2018 15:34:05 UTC+1 schrieb Ophelia:
> I had the rice cooked, the spam marinated in Teriyaki and the nori waiting.
>
> Still no moulds or bamboo mats, so ... I just couldn't wait and bodged it
> with a small silicone sheet!
>
> The rice ... I did the 8,4,1 thing with rice vinegar, sugar and salt and
> mixed it with the rice.
>
> D tasted it and said it was good but too strong, so I added some Teriyaki
> sauce and he really liked that.
>
> So, you can see what I did. Not perfect I know but it was my first
> attempt Oh the stuffing is some of the marinated spam. He loves it so
> all is well
>
> https://s9.postimg.org/xwc7ghbcf/DSCN6904.jpg
>
> OK I am awaiting brickbats but so long as they are constructive I will be
> happy
>
> Oh btw I think I need a sharper knife to cut them or do I put the roll in
> the fridge for a while first?

- sharp knife
- put the blade in a glass of water like you would for certain cakes
- don't put the roll in the fridge if you can avoid it.
Of course: better that than letting it spoil, but preferably: prepare
it and eat it asap. No problem for a pick-nick or a potluck party, though.

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> I had the rice cooked, the spam marinated in Teriyaki and the nori
> waiting.
>
> Still no moulds or bamboo mats, so ... I just couldn't wait and bodged it
> with a small silicone sheet!
>
> The rice ... I did the 8,4,1 thing with rice vinegar, sugar and salt and
> mixed it with the rice.
>
> D tasted it and said it was good but too strong, so I added some Teriyaki
> sauce and he really liked that.
>
> So, you can see what I did. Not perfect I know but it was my first
> attempt Oh the stuffing is some of the marinated spam. He loves it so
> all is well
>
> https://s9.postimg.org/xwc7ghbcf/DSCN6904.jpg
>
> OK I am awaiting brickbats but so long as they are constructive I will be
> happy
>
> Oh btw I think I need a sharper knife to cut them or do I put the roll in
> the fridge for a while first?

I think it looks very tasty.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sanne" wrote in message

Am Mittwoch, 7. Februar 2018 15:34:05 UTC+1 schrieb Ophelia:
> I had the rice cooked, the spam marinated in Teriyaki and the nori
> waiting.
>
> Still no moulds or bamboo mats, so ... I just couldn't wait and bodged it
> with a small silicone sheet!
>
> The rice ... I did the 8,4,1 thing with rice vinegar, sugar and salt and
> mixed it with the rice.
>
> D tasted it and said it was good but too strong, so I added some Teriyaki
> sauce and he really liked that.
>
> So, you can see what I did. Not perfect I know but it was my first
> attempt Oh the stuffing is some of the marinated spam. He loves it so
> all is well
>
> https://s9.postimg.org/xwc7ghbcf/DSCN6904.jpg
>
> OK I am awaiting brickbats but so long as they are constructive I will be
> happy
>
> Oh btw I think I need a sharper knife to cut them or do I put the roll in
> the fridge for a while first?

- sharp knife
- put the blade in a glass of water like you would for certain cakes
- don't put the roll in the fridge if you can avoid it.
Of course: better that than letting it spoil, but preferably: prepare
it and eat it asap. No problem for a pick-nick or a potluck party, though.

Bye, Sanne.
==

Thanks very much, Sanne)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> I had the rice cooked, the spam marinated in Teriyaki and the nori
> waiting.
>
> Still no moulds or bamboo mats, so ... I just couldn't wait and bodged it
> with a small silicone sheet!
>
> The rice ... I did the 8,4,1 thing with rice vinegar, sugar and salt and
> mixed it with the rice.
>
> D tasted it and said it was good but too strong, so I added some Teriyaki
> sauce and he really liked that.
>
> So, you can see what I did. Not perfect I know but it was my first
> attempt Oh the stuffing is some of the marinated spam. He loves it so
> all is well
>
> https://s9.postimg.org/xwc7ghbcf/DSCN6904.jpg
>
> OK I am awaiting brickbats but so long as they are constructive I will be
> happy
>
> Oh btw I think I need a sharper knife to cut them or do I put the roll in
> the fridge for a while first?

I think it looks very tasty.

Cheri

==

Thanks He is sitting here now, dipping them into soy sauce and eating
them )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 4:34:05 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> I had the rice cooked, the spam marinated in Teriyaki and the nori waiting.
>
> Still no moulds or bamboo mats, so ... I just couldn't wait and bodged it
> with a small silicone sheet!
>
> The rice ... I did the 8,4,1 thing with rice vinegar, sugar and salt and
> mixed it with the rice.
>
> D tasted it and said it was good but too strong, so I added some Teriyaki
> sauce and he really liked that.
>
> So, you can see what I did. Not perfect I know but it was my first
> attempt Oh the stuffing is some of the marinated spam. He loves it so
> all is well
>
> https://s9.postimg.org/xwc7ghbcf/DSCN6904.jpg
>
> OK I am awaiting brickbats but so long as they are constructive I will be
> happy
>
> Oh btw I think I need a sharper knife to cut them or do I put the roll in
> the fridge for a while first?
>

> --
> http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

You got guts - it's harder than you think. I don't roll my own but now I think that I'm gonna have to. He he.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3wUntEvUAw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Mittwoch, 7. Februar 2018 19:15:36 UTC+1 schrieb dsi1:
> On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 4:34:05 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > I had the rice cooked, the spam marinated in Teriyaki and the nori waiting.
> >
> > Still no moulds or bamboo mats, so ... I just couldn't wait and bodged it
> > with a small silicone sheet!
> >
> > The rice ... I did the 8,4,1 thing with rice vinegar, sugar and salt and
> > mixed it with the rice.
> >
> > D tasted it and said it was good but too strong, so I added some Teriyaki
> > sauce and he really liked that.
> >
> > So, you can see what I did. Not perfect I know but it was my first
> > attempt Oh the stuffing is some of the marinated spam. He loves it so
> > all is well
> >
> > https://s9.postimg.org/xwc7ghbcf/DSCN6904.jpg
> >
> > OK I am awaiting brickbats but so long as they are constructive I will be
> > happy
> >
> > Oh btw I think I need a sharper knife to cut them or do I put the roll in
> > the fridge for a while first?
> >

> > --
> > http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> You got guts - it's harder than you think. I don't roll my own but now
> I think that I'm gonna have to. He he.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3wUntEvUAw

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/gimbap

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 4:34:05 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> I had the rice cooked, the spam marinated in Teriyaki and the nori
> waiting.
>
> Still no moulds or bamboo mats, so ... I just couldn't wait and bodged it
> with a small silicone sheet!
>
> The rice ... I did the 8,4,1 thing with rice vinegar, sugar and salt and
> mixed it with the rice.
>
> D tasted it and said it was good but too strong, so I added some Teriyaki
> sauce and he really liked that.
>
> So, you can see what I did. Not perfect I know but it was my first
> attempt Oh the stuffing is some of the marinated spam. He loves it so
> all is well
>
> https://s9.postimg.org/xwc7ghbcf/DSCN6904.jpg
>
> OK I am awaiting brickbats but so long as they are constructive I will be
> happy
>
> Oh btw I think I need a sharper knife to cut them or do I put the roll in
> the fridge for a while first?
>

> --
> http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

You got guts - it's harder than you think. I don't roll my own but now I
think that I'm gonna have to. He he.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3wUntEvUAw

==

Err I don't have to think .. I did try it and it wasn't too easy) All and
any advice will be very welcome

Might it be easier when the bamboo mats arrive?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 8:25:40 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> Err I don't have to think .. I did try it and it wasn't too easy) All and
> any advice will be very welcome
>

> Might it be easier when the bamboo mats arrive?

The mat will help. The good news is that it's not that difficult. Once you get some practice, you'll be rolling like a pro. My aunties used to roll maki sushi. I think it was required of young girls back it the old days. I never saw my mom roll sushi though. She was a different kind of gal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> I had the rice cooked, the spam marinated in Teriyaki and the nori
>> waiting.
>>
>> Still no moulds or bamboo mats, so ... I just couldn't wait and bodged it
>> with a small silicone sheet!
>>
>> The rice ... I did the 8,4,1 thing with rice vinegar, sugar and salt and
>> mixed it with the rice.
>>
>> D tasted it and said it was good but too strong, so I added some Teriyaki
>> sauce and he really liked that.
>>
>> So, you can see what I did. Not perfect I know but it was my first
>> attempt Oh the stuffing is some of the marinated spam. He loves it so
>> all is well
>>
>> https://s9.postimg.org/xwc7ghbcf/DSCN6904.jpg
>>
>> OK I am awaiting brickbats but so long as they are constructive I will
>> be happy
>>
>> Oh btw I think I need a sharper knife to cut them or do I put the roll in
>> the fridge for a while first?

> I think it looks very tasty.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> Thanks He is sitting here now, dipping them into soy sauce and eating
> them )

Tell him I said hi and happy eating!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> I had the rice cooked, the spam marinated in Teriyaki and the nori
>> waiting.
>>
>> Still no moulds or bamboo mats, so ... I just couldn't wait and bodged it
>> with a small silicone sheet!
>>
>> The rice ... I did the 8,4,1 thing with rice vinegar, sugar and salt and
>> mixed it with the rice.
>>
>> D tasted it and said it was good but too strong, so I added some Teriyaki
>> sauce and he really liked that.
>>
>> So, you can see what I did. Not perfect I know but it was my first
>> attempt Oh the stuffing is some of the marinated spam. He loves it so
>> all is well
>>
>> https://s9.postimg.org/xwc7ghbcf/DSCN6904.jpg
>>
>> OK I am awaiting brickbats but so long as they are constructive I will
>> be happy
>>
>> Oh btw I think I need a sharper knife to cut them or do I put the roll in
>> the fridge for a while first?

> I think it looks very tasty.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> Thanks He is sitting here now, dipping them into soy sauce and eating
> them )

Tell him I said hi and happy eating!

Cheri

==

He grinned and said thank you, he enjoyed them very much)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sanne" wrote in message

Am Mittwoch, 7. Februar 2018 19:15:36 UTC+1 schrieb dsi1:
> On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 4:34:05 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > I had the rice cooked, the spam marinated in Teriyaki and the nori
> > waiting.
> >
> > Still no moulds or bamboo mats, so ... I just couldn't wait and bodged
> > it
> > with a small silicone sheet!
> >
> > The rice ... I did the 8,4,1 thing with rice vinegar, sugar and salt and
> > mixed it with the rice.
> >
> > D tasted it and said it was good but too strong, so I added some
> > Teriyaki
> > sauce and he really liked that.
> >
> > So, you can see what I did. Not perfect I know but it was my first
> > attempt Oh the stuffing is some of the marinated spam. He loves it
> > so
> > all is well
> >
> > https://s9.postimg.org/xwc7ghbcf/DSCN6904.jpg
> >
> > OK I am awaiting brickbats but so long as they are constructive I will
> > be
> > happy
> >
> > Oh btw I think I need a sharper knife to cut them or do I put the roll
> > in
> > the fridge for a while first?
> >

> > --
> > http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> You got guts - it's harder than you think. I don't roll my own but now
> I think that I'm gonna have to. He he.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3wUntEvUAw

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/gimbap

Bye, Sanne.

==

Thank you I have saved it to watch later)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 8:25:40 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> Err I don't have to think .. I did try it and it wasn't too easy) All
> and
> any advice will be very welcome
>

> Might it be easier when the bamboo mats arrive?

The mat will help. The good news is that it's not that difficult. Once you
get some practice, you'll be rolling like a pro. My aunties used to roll
maki sushi. I think it was required of young girls back it the old days. I
never saw my mom roll sushi though. She was a different kind of gal.

==

I did use a small silicone mat, so it wasn't too bad, but I can't wait for
my bamboo mats to arrive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/7/2018 7:33 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> So, you can see what I did.Â* Not perfect I know but it was my first
> attemptÂ* Oh the stuffing is some of the marinated spam.Â* He loves it
> so all is well
>
> https://s9.postimg.org/xwc7ghbcf/DSCN6904.jpg

Credible first effort Ms. O!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"casa de suspiros" wrote in message news
On 2/7/2018 7:33 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> So, you can see what I did. Not perfect I know but it was my first
> attempt Oh the stuffing is some of the marinated spam. He loves it
> so all is well
>
> https://s9.postimg.org/xwc7ghbcf/DSCN6904.jpg

Credible first effort Ms. O!

==

Thank you I will keep working on it
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sanne" wrote in message

Am Mittwoch, 7. Februar 2018 19:15:36 UTC+1 schrieb dsi1:
> On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 4:34:05 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > I had the rice cooked, the spam marinated in Teriyaki and the nori
> > waiting.
> >
> > Still no moulds or bamboo mats, so ... I just couldn't wait and bodged
> > it
> > with a small silicone sheet!
> >
> > The rice ... I did the 8,4,1 thing with rice vinegar, sugar and salt and
> > mixed it with the rice.
> >
> > D tasted it and said it was good but too strong, so I added some
> > Teriyaki
> > sauce and he really liked that.
> >
> > So, you can see what I did. Not perfect I know but it was my first
> > attempt Oh the stuffing is some of the marinated spam. He loves it
> > so
> > all is well
> >
> > https://s9.postimg.org/xwc7ghbcf/DSCN6904.jpg
> >
> > OK I am awaiting brickbats but so long as they are constructive I will
> > be
> > happy
> >
> > Oh btw I think I need a sharper knife to cut them or do I put the roll
> > in
> > the fridge for a while first?
> >

> > --
> > http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> You got guts - it's harder than you think. I don't roll my own but now
> I think that I'm gonna have to. He he.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3wUntEvUAw

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/gimbap

Bye, Sanne.

==

Thank you for that site! She made it look much easier that the ones I made
lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 8:55:58 AM UTC-6, Not Steve Wertz wrote:

> Very nice first effort, Ms. O...."practice makes perfect", as the auld saying goes ;-)
>
> Best
> Greg

How can you tell??? The picture is dreadfully out of focus. Nothing
can really be discerned from that blurry photo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

You can have my share.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 10:11:44 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> I did use a small silicone mat, so it wasn't too bad, but I can't wait for
> my bamboo mats to arrive.

The bamboo mats are cool. They are very flexible - but only in one tightly controlled direction. I'll have to work on improving my sushi chops too. Thanks for the inspiration.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 10:11:44 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> I did use a small silicone mat, so it wasn't too bad, but I can't wait for
> my bamboo mats to arrive.

The bamboo mats are cool. They are very flexible - but only in one tightly
controlled direction. I'll have to work on improving my sushi chops too.
Thanks for the inspiration.

===

Sushi chops?