Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Real names for popular foods

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> We never share our plates of food with each other, even if we are
> eating the same foods or different foods. Custom? or not, I think
> it's a disgusting habit, and worse yet if it's observed in a
> rstaurant.
>
> --
>
> ~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

Oh so LOL. Did anyone else here notice this?
He was nitpicking about sharing food, then followed by the
first line of his constant sig file. So funny to me.
That gave me my morning laugh.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> You'd better look away, then, when my husband and I are sharing dessert
> in a restaurant.

That only makes sense. Imagine a couple eating out. 2 interesting
desserts offered. Why not each one buy one then share half? Each
person gets to eat half portion of both desserts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/25/2017 2:47 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> We never share our plates of food with each other, even if we are
> eating the same foods or different foods. Custom? or not, I think
> it's a disgusting habit, and worse yet if it's observed in a
> rstaurant.

You sir are a mannerly and refined chap - bravo!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/25/2017 4:47 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> ==
>>
>> Oh dear, what a performance lol Of course every place has its own
>> customs so they should be respected)) But tell me, after all
>> that passing to and fro, do you actually take the last bite???
>>
>> We (in our house) never share a dish the way I hear about in US,
>> so it isn't a problem )
>>

> We never share our plates of food with each other, even if we are
> eating the same foods or different foods. Custom? or not, I think
> it's a disgusting habit, and worse yet if it's observed in a
> restaurant.

We may share but not passing a plate back and forth. I may cut off a
piece from my meal and put it on her plate and she may do the same for
me so we get a taste of the other's dish. Some appetizers are made to
be shared but separate plaes are used.

We've often ordered one dessert and the server will bring two spoons.
Sharing dessert is fairly common, it seems.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 10:29:39 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Oh dear, what a performance lol Of course every place has its own customs
> so they should be respected)) But tell me, after all that passing to and
> fro, do you actually take the last bite???
>
> We (in our house) never share a dish the way I hear about in US, so it isn't
> a problem )
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

We practically always share a plate. This saves dishes. We've been sharing plates at restaurants. This saves money. It's a strange thing to do but I can only eat half of a plate anyway - maybe not even that much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.45...

>>> We never share our plates of food with each other, even if we are
>>> eating the same foods or different foods. Custom? or not, I
>>> think it's a disgusting habit, and worse yet if it's observed in
>>> a restaurant.
>>>

>> We may share but not passing a plate back and forth. I may cut
>> off a piece from my meal and put it on her plate and she may do
>> the same for me so we get a taste of the other's dish. Some
>> appetizers are made to be shared but separate plaes are used.

> I don't see that as a blatant exchange. What's even worse is seeing
> people feeding each other from their plates. Certainly shared
> appetizers are different, as is taking a roll or a piece of bread
> from a common bread basket.
>
>> We've often ordered one dessert and the server will bring two
>> spoons. Sharing dessert is fairly common, it seems.

> Better restaurants will also bring an additional plate if they know
> the intent is to share the dessert.

Sure, many people will say one dessert two forks. Nothing wrong with it IMO,
but I want my own. As seldom as we eat out, the sky is the limit.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 11:03:05 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > You'd better look away, then, when my husband and I are sharing dessert
> > in a restaurant.

> That only makes sense. Imagine a couple eating out. 2 interesting
> desserts offered. Why not each one buy one then share half? Each
> person gets to eat half portion of both desserts.

With us, it's that we don't want to eat so much food. We very
rarely have room for dessert, and I can't remember the last time
we got two desserts.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/25/2017 10:02 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> We never share our plates of food with each other, even if we are
>>> eating the same foods or different foods. Custom? or not, I
>>> think it's a disgusting habit, and worse yet if it's observed in
>>> a restaurant.
>>>

>> We may share but not passing a plate back and forth. I may cut
>> off a piece from my meal and put it on her plate and she may do
>> the same for me so we get a taste of the other's dish. Some
>> appetizers are made to be shared but separate plaes are used.

> I don't see that as a blatant exchange.

Quite reasonable and sanitary in fact.

> What's even worse is seeing
> people feeding each other from their plates.

Uggghh!!!

Like Alicia Silverstone pre-masticating her childrens' food and then
mouth feeding it to them!

Sick.

> Certainly shared
> appetizers are different, as is taking a roll or a piece of bread
> from a common bread basket.

Of course!

>> We've often ordered one dessert and the server will bring two
>> spoons. Sharing dessert is fairly common, it seems.

> Better restaurants will also bring an additional plate if they know
> the intent is to share the dessert.

Indeed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/25/2017 10:12 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 10:29:39 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Oh dear, what a performance lol Of course every place has its own customs
>> so they should be respected)) But tell me, after all that passing to and
>> fro, do you actually take the last bite???
>>
>> We (in our house) never share a dish the way I hear about in US, so it isn't
>> a problem )
>>

>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> We practically always share a plate. This saves dishes. We've been sharing plates at restaurants. This saves money. It's a strange thing to do but I can only eat half of a plate anyway - maybe not even that much.

So why not ask for a spare plate, divvy it up?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-25 11:04 AM, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> You'd better look away, then, when my husband and I are sharing dessert
>> in a restaurant.

> That only makes sense. Imagine a couple eating out. 2 interesting
> desserts offered. Why not each one buy one then share half? Each
> person gets to eat half portion of both desserts.

I am still wondering what is wrong with two or more people sharing a
dessert in a restaurant. I don't usually order dessert in restaurants. I
prefer to have an appetizer. Aside from the extra cost, I am usually too
full to have dessert. A little bit of my wife's dessert satisfies my
sweet tooth and I get to try it. Sure, there may be a cootie or two
transferred from our mouths to our forks to the food, but that presents
a very minor issue compared to other intimacies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/25/2017 10:58 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> Sure, there may be a cootie or two transferred from our mouths to our
> forks to the food, but that presents a very minor issue compared to
> other intimacies.

You OVER-share here, ya big dumb goof.

Bugger off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 6:53:43 AM UTC-10, Casa de Masa wrote:

> So why not ask for a spare plate, divvy it up?

What you say makes a lot of sense but if I eat a couple of small spoonfuls of a dish, it hardly seems worth a detour to another plate rather than heading straight to my mouth. Not to worry though, I have a black belt in the art of fu-ling-yu and have the ability to eat off someone's plate while making it look untouched.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/25/2017 11:23 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 6:53:43 AM UTC-10, Casa de Masa wrote:
>>
>> So why not ask for a spare plate, divvy it up?

> What you say makes a lot of sense but if I eat a couple of small spoonfuls of a dish, it hardly seems worth a detour to another plate rather than heading straight to my mouth.

Ok, got it.

> Not to worry though, I have a black belt in the art of fu-ling-yu and have the ability to eat off someone's plate while making it look untouched.

Ooooh...that's some kind of Zen head game, innit?

I seen Kung Fu Panda...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 7:28:05 AM UTC-10, Casa de Masa wrote:
> On 9/25/2017 11:23 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 6:53:43 AM UTC-10, Casa de Masa wrote:
> >>
> >> So why not ask for a spare plate, divvy it up?

> > What you say makes a lot of sense but if I eat a couple of small spoonfuls of a dish, it hardly seems worth a detour to another plate rather than heading straight to my mouth.

> Ok, got it.
>
> > Not to worry though, I have a black belt in the art of fu-ling-yu and have the ability to eat off someone's plate while making it look untouched.
> >

> Ooooh...that's some kind of Zen head game, innit?
>
> I seen Kung Fu Panda...

I think anybody that has plated food for half a century should be proficient in this skill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/25/2017 11:32 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 7:28:05 AM UTC-10, Casa de Masa wrote:

>>> What you say makes a lot of sense but if I eat a couple of small spoonfuls of a dish, it hardly seems worth a detour to another plate rather than heading straight to my mouth.

>> Ok, got it.
>>
>>> Not to worry though, I have a black belt in the art of fu-ling-yu and have the ability to eat off someone's plate while making it look untouched.
>>>

>> Ooooh...that's some kind of Zen head game, innit?
>>
>> I seen Kung Fu Panda...

> I think anybody that has plated food for half a century should be proficient in this skill.

Tee hee...yep...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 11:31:45 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 9/25/2017 4:47 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Oh dear, what a performance lol Of course every place has its own
>>> customs so they should be respected)) But tell me, after all
>>> that passing to and fro, do you actually take the last bite???
>>>
>>> We (in our house) never share a dish the way I hear about in US,
>>> so it isn't a problem )
>>>

>> We never share our plates of food with each other, even if we are
>> eating the same foods or different foods. Custom? or not, I think
>> it's a disgusting habit, and worse yet if it's observed in a
>> restaurant.
>>

>We may share but not passing a plate back and forth. I may cut off a
>piece from my meal and put it on her plate and she may do the same for
>me so we get a taste of the other's dish. Some appetizers are made to
>be shared but separate plaes are used.
>
>We've often ordered one dessert and the server will bring two spoons.
>Sharing dessert is fairly common, it seems.

In many cultures the different dishes arrive in tureens/on platters so
every one helps themselves... that's one of the things I enjoy about
Chinese restaurants. At most taverns beverages are served by the
pitcherful. I think that's a more civilized way to eat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 10:29:39 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Oh dear, what a performance lol Of course every place has its own customs
> so they should be respected)) But tell me, after all that passing to
> and
> fro, do you actually take the last bite???
>
> We (in our house) never share a dish the way I hear about in US, so it
> isn't
> a problem )
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

We practically always share a plate. This saves dishes. We've been sharing
plates at restaurants. This saves money. It's a strange thing to do but I
can only eat half of a plate anyway - maybe not even that much.

==

To each his own)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/25/2017 12:53 PM, Casa de Masa wrote:
> On 9/25/2017 10:12 AM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 10:29:39 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> Oh dear, what a performance lolÂ* Of course every place has its own
>>> customs
>>> so they should be respected))Â* But tell me, after all that passing
>>> to and
>>> fro, do you actually take the last bite???
>>>
>>> We (in our house) never share a dish the way I hear about in US, so
>>> it isn't
>>> a problem )
>>>

>>> --
>>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

>> We practically always share a plate. This saves dishes. We've been
>> sharing plates at restaurants. This saves money. It's a strange thing
>> to do but I can only eat half of a plate anyway - maybe not even that
>> much.
>>

> So why not ask for a spare plate, divvy it up?

A few times I've seen where they charge for sharing. Usually a small
charge, like $3 or so, but I guess they figure they have to turn $XX
from each table each hour to make a profit.

https://www.thestar.com/life/2016/04...-speaking.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 6:53:43 AM UTC-10, Casa de Masa wrote:

> So why not ask for a spare plate, divvy it up?

What you say makes a lot of sense but if I eat a couple of small spoonfuls
of a dish, it hardly seems worth a detour to another plate rather than
heading straight to my mouth. Not to worry though, I have a black belt in
the art of fu-ling-yu and have the ability to eat off someone's plate while
making it look untouched.

==

lol

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/25/2017 11:31 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> We may share but not passing a plate back and forth.Â* I may cut off a
> piece from my meal and put it on her plate and she may do the same for
> me so we get a taste of the other's dish.

We often order different things so we can share. I never thought
it would bother anyone if we ate off each other's plate or passed
over a bite or two.

> We've often ordered one dessert and the server will bring two spoons.
> Sharing dessert is fairly common, it seems.

If not expected. If one person orders dessert, guarantee there
will be enough spoons handed out for everyone at the table.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-25 2:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> So why not ask for a spare plate, divvy it up?

> A few times I've seen where they charge for sharing.Â* Usually a small
> charge, like $3 or so, but I guess they figure they have to turn $XX
> from each table each hour to make a profit.
>
> https://www.thestar.com/life/2016/04...-speaking.html

For some reason I still subscribe to that newspaper, but I have been
tempted to cancel for some time. It certainly isn't the first time that
I have disagreed with that ethics columnists. They can spare us the sob
story about paying for the restaurant experience when they have ruined
that by gouging customers for an extra plate. There is minimal extra
cost to providing a second plate. The extra work of carrying a second
plate, putting it in the dishwasher and stacking it...... pennies... to
small to charge for, smaller than the cost of providing a glass of water.

They like to point out the dollars and cents and percentages of various
aspects of the goods and services provided, but their menu prices are
all over the place. They may not make as much as they want one entree
as they would on two, but they probably make up for it on the high mark
up extras like soft drinks and coffee.

On a related note, a few years ago they made changes to the liquor laws
and there are some restaurants where you can BYOB and take home left
overs from the BYOB wine. Some places charge a small corkage fee, $3-5.
One place in Toronto was charging $35 corkage. The owner tried to
justify it by saying that he was losing out on the opportunity to sell
them wine for a profit. I don't think there are that many wines with a
$35 markup and that most wine sales are less than that. I am not
interesting in explanations that are attempts to justify gouging the
clientele.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 18:12:13 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 9/25/2017 11:31 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> We may share but not passing a plate back and forth.* I may cut off a
>> piece from my meal and put it on her plate and she may do the same for
>> me so we get a taste of the other's dish.

>We often order different things so we can share. I never thought
>it would bother anyone if we ate off each other's plate or passed
>over a bite or two.

I don't see why it would.

>> We've often ordered one dessert and the server will bring two spoons.
>> Sharing dessert is fairly common, it seems.

>If not expected. If one person orders dessert, guarantee there
>will be enough spoons handed out for everyone at the table.

Yes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/25/2017 6:21 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-09-25 2:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>>> So why not ask for a spare plate, divvy it up?

>> A few times I've seen where they charge for sharing.Â* Usually a small
>> charge, like $3 or so, but I guess they figure they have to turn $XX
>> from each table each hour to make a profit.
>>
>> https://www.thestar.com/life/2016/04...-speaking.html

> For some reason I still subscribe to that newspaper, but I have been
> tempted to cancel for some time. It certainly isn't the first time that
> I have disagreed with that ethics columnists. They can spare us the sob
> story about paying for the restaurant experience when they have ruined
> that by gouging customers for an extra plate. There is minimal extra
> cost to providing a second plate. The extra work of carrying a second
> plate, putting it in the dishwasher and stacking it...... pennies... to
> small to charge for, smaller than the cost of providing a glass of water.
>
> They like to point out the dollars and cents and percentages of various
> aspects of the goods and services provided, but their menu prices are
> all over the place.Â* They may not make as much as they want one entree
> as they would on two, but they probably make up for it on the high mark
> up extras like soft drinks and coffee.

I understand it completely, but my background is in manufacturing. I
was the general manager in molding plants. When pricing out a job we
had the cost of material and the cost of operating the machine.
Restaurants are no different. They have the cost of food and the cost
of operating and that cost is divided by the number of tables. To be
profitable, we had to bring in $X over the cost of material, a
restaurant has to bring in $X over the cost of food. You have a table
for two but only sell food to one, you are not making your basic cost,
thus the plate charge.

It may not matter so much at 4 PM when half the tables are empty, but on
Saturday night, they expect 9and need) a certain amount of sales per hour.

> On a related note, a few years ago they made changes to the liquor laws
> and there are some restaurants where you can BYOB and take home left
> overs from the BYOB wine. Some places charge a small corkage fee, $3-5.
> One place in Toronto was charging $35 corkage. The owner tried to
> justify it by saying that he was losing out on the opportunity to sell
> them wine for a profit.Â* I don't think there are that many wines with a
> $35 markup and that most wine sales are less than that.Â* I am not
> interesting in explanations that are attempts to justify gouging the
> clientele.

He has a point, but $35 is excessive. Maybe $10 would be OK.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-25 7:49 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> A few times I've seen where they charge for sharing.Â* Usually a small
>>> charge, like $3 or so, but I guess they figure they have to turn $XX
>>> from each table each hour to make a profit.
>>>
>>> https://www.thestar.com/life/2016/04...-speaking.html

>> For some reason I still subscribe to that newspaper, but I have been
>> tempted to cancel for some time. It certainly isn't the first time
>> that I have disagreed with that ethics columnists. They can spare us
>> the sob story about paying for the restaurant experience when they
>> have ruined that by gouging customers for an extra plate. There is
>> minimal extra cost to providing a second plate. The extra work of
>> carrying a second plate, putting it in the dishwasher and stacking
>> it...... pennies... to small to charge for, smaller than the cost of
>> providing a glass of water.
>>
>> They like to point out the dollars and cents and percentages of
>> various aspects of the goods and services provided, but their menu
>> prices are all over the place.Â* They may not make as much as they want
>> one entree as they would on two, but they probably make up for it on
>> the high mark up extras like soft drinks and coffee.
>>

> I understand it completely, but my background is in manufacturing.Â* I
> was the general manager in molding plants.Â* When pricing out a job we
> had the cost of material and the cost of operating the machine.
> Restaurants are no different.Â* They have the cost of food and the cost
> of operating and that cost is divided by the number of tables.Â* To be
> profitable, we had to bring in $X over the cost of material, a
> restaurant has to bring in $X over the cost of food.Â* You have a table
> for two but only sell food to one, you are not making your basic cost,
> thus the plate charge.
>
> It may not matter so much at 4 PM when half the tables are empty, but on
> Saturday night, they expect 9and need) a certain amount of sales per hour.

Not just for the sake of argument, or maybe it is, what about seating
single people at tables? They are only going to order a single entree.
At least with two people sharing that single entree there is the
opportunity to soak them on the high mark up drinks.

>> On a related note, a few years ago they made changes to the liquor
>> laws and there are some restaurants where you can BYOB and take home
>> left overs from the BYOB wine. Some places charge a small corkage fee,
>> $3-5. One place in Toronto was charging $35 corkage. The owner tried
>> to justify it by saying that he was losing out on the opportunity to
>> sell them wine for a profit.Â* I don't think there are that many wines
>> with a $35 markup and that most wine sales are less than that.Â* I am
>> not interesting in explanations that are attempts to justify gouging
>> the clientele.

> He has a point, but $35 is excessive.Â* Maybe $10 would be OK.

If he had charged $10 it likely would not be an issue. He is getting $10
for nothing more than popping the cork and providing a couple glasses.
He didn't have to put out the money to buy the wine for his cellar and
be stuck with an well stocked inventory until it sold. If the wine was
corked or went bad he has no obligation to replace it He should be
happy with the $10 he got for.... nothing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/25/2017 8:05 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> They like to point out the dollars and cents and percentages of
>>> various aspects of the goods and services provided, but their menu
>>> prices are all over the place.Â* They may not make as much as they
>>> want one entree as they would on two, but they probably make up for
>>> it on the high mark up extras like soft drinks and coffee.
>>>

>> I understand it completely, but my background is in manufacturing.Â* I
>> was the general manager in molding plants.Â* When pricing out a job we
>> had the cost of material and the cost of operating the machine.
>> Restaurants are no different.Â* They have the cost of food and the cost
>> of operating and that cost is divided by the number of tables.Â* To be
>> profitable, we had to bring in $X over the cost of material, a
>> restaurant has to bring in $X over the cost of food.Â* You have a table
>> for two but only sell food to one, you are not making your basic cost,
>> thus the plate charge.
>>
>> It may not matter so much at 4 PM when half the tables are empty, but
>> on Saturday night, they expect 9and need) a certain amount of sales
>> per hour.

> Not just for the sake of argument, or maybe it is, what about seating
> single people at tables? They are only going to order a single entree.
> At least with two peopleÂ* sharing that single entree there is the
> opportunity to soak them on the high mark up drinks.

That just comes under "stuff happens" and it is fairly rare in better
dining establishments on a Friday or Saturday night. More likely in a
place frequented by traveling business people. You cannot control every
detail of your customers so you do the best you can. And give that guy
fast service so he moves out to free up the table.

>>> On a related note, a few years ago they made changes to the liquor
>>> laws and there are some restaurants where you can BYOB and take home
>>> left overs from the BYOB wine. Some places charge a small corkage
>>> fee, $3-5. One place in Toronto was charging $35 corkage. The owner
>>> tried to justify it by saying that he was losing out on the
>>> opportunity to sell them wine for a profit.Â* I don't think there are
>>> that many wines with a $35 markup and that most wine sales are less
>>> than that.Â* I am not interesting in explanations that are attempts to
>>> justify gouging the clientele.

>> He has a point, but $35 is excessive.Â* Maybe $10 would be OK.

> If he had charged $10 it likely would not be an issue. He is getting $10
> for nothing more than popping the cork and providing a couple glasses.
> He didn't have to put out the money to buy the wine for his cellar and
> be stuck with an well stocked inventory until it sold.Â* If the wine was
> corked or went bad he has no obligation to replace itÂ* He should be
> happy with the $10 he got for.... nothing.

You also show why they have to get a decent markup for the wine they do
sell. The $10 is not for nothing, but it is for minimal service and
also takes away some of the tip income for the server.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-25 9:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/25/2017 8:05 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>

> You also show why they have to get a decent markup for the wine they do
> sell.Â* The $10 is not for nothing, but it is for minimal service and
> also takes away some of the tip income for the server.

I am having trouble with the idea that a restaurant is entitled to gouge
customers on one thing because they lost their opportunity to gouge them
on something else.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in message ...

On 9/25/2017 11:31 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> We may share but not passing a plate back and forth. I may cut off a
> piece from my meal and put it on her plate and she may do the same for me
> so we get a taste of the other's dish.

We often order different things so we can share. I never thought
it would bother anyone if we ate off each other's plate or passed
over a bite or two.

> We've often ordered one dessert and the server will bring two spoons.
> Sharing dessert is fairly common, it seems.

If not expected. If one person orders dessert, guarantee there
will be enough spoons handed out for everyone at the table.

nancy

==

Restaurants here have cutlery (flatware?) at each place. If 2 people sit
down, the rest will be cleared away. Everyone has spoons etc at each place.
In good restaurants anyway.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.44...

On Mon 25 Sep 2017 09:40:24a, Cheri told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 9.45...

>>> We may share but not passing a plate back and forth. I may cut
>>> off a piece from my meal and put it on her plate and she may do
>>> the same for me so we get a taste of the other's dish. Some
>>> appetizers are made to be shared but separate plaes are used.

>> I don't see that as a blatant exchange. What's even worse is
>> seeing people feeding each other from their plates. Certainly
>> shared appetizers are different, as is taking a roll or a piece
>> of bread from a common bread basket.
>>
>>> We've often ordered one dessert and the server will bring two
>>> spoons. Sharing dessert is fairly common, it seems.

>> Better restaurants will also bring an additional plate if they
>> know the intent is to share the dessert.

> Sure, many people will say one dessert two forks. Nothing wrong
> with it IMO, but I want my own. As seldom as we eat out, the sky
> is the limit.
>
> Cheri

+1 For many reasons.

Wayne Boatwright

==

I have never seen two people sharing one dish. Having a taste, maybe, but
never two people eating one dish.

I don't know what happens in fast food places because I don't use them, but
never in the places we use.

I have wondered is it because they serve huge portions in US?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 9:58:36 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> I have never seen two people sharing one dish. Having a taste, maybe, but
> never two people eating one dish.
>
> I don't know what happens in fast food places because I don't use them, but
> never in the places we use.
>
> I have wondered is it because they serve huge portions in US?
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

One day it will be commonplace for couples to share a plate. My wife and daughter just had to eat curry today. I was more interested in finding a belt and socks at the store. I joined up with them while they were in the middle of eating. I had two pieces of chicken katsu and some curry rice and that's all I felt like eating. It wouldn't make any sense for me to order a plate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 02:14:08 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 9:58:36 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> I have never seen two people sharing one dish. Having a taste, maybe, but
>> never two people eating one dish.

When you put it like that, I agree that it sounds really weird, like
two people trying to wear one coat. I only find it normal when it's a
desert or maybe an entree. Just to both have a taste of it.

>> I don't know what happens in fast food places because I don't use them, but
>> never in the places we use.
>>
>> I have wondered is it because they serve huge portions in US?

Lol.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 9:58:36 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> I have never seen two people sharing one dish. Having a taste, maybe, but
> never two people eating one dish.
>
> I don't know what happens in fast food places because I don't use them,
> but
> never in the places we use.
>
> I have wondered is it because they serve huge portions in US?
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

One day it will be commonplace for couples to share a plate. My wife and
daughter just had to eat curry today. I was more interested in finding a
belt and socks at the store. I joined up with them while they were in the
middle of eating. I had two pieces of chicken katsu and some curry rice and
that's all I felt like eating. It wouldn't make any sense for me to order a
plate.

==

Were your chicken katsu and rice not on a plate?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 9:58:36 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> I have never seen two people sharing one dish. Having a taste, maybe,
>> but
>> never two people eating one dish.

When you put it like that, I agree that it sounds really weird, like
two people trying to wear one coat. I only find it normal when it's a
desert or maybe an entree. Just to both have a taste of it.

>> I don't know what happens in fast food places because I don't use them,
>> but
>> never in the places we use.
>>
>> I have wondered is it because they serve huge portions in US?

Lol.

===

I wasn't being rude or nasty I had just heard people here talk about the
huge portions.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 6:20:23 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-09-25 2:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
> >> So why not ask for a spare plate, divvy it up?

> > A few times I've seen where they charge for sharing.Â* Usually a small
> > charge, like $3 or so, but I guess they figure they have to turn $XX
> > from each table each hour to make a profit.
> >
> > https://www.thestar.com/life/2016/04...-speaking.html

> For some reason I still subscribe to that newspaper, but I have been
> tempted to cancel for some time. It certainly isn't the first time that
> I have disagreed with that ethics columnists. They can spare us the sob
> story about paying for the restaurant experience when they have ruined
> that by gouging customers for an extra plate. There is minimal extra
> cost to providing a second plate. The extra work of carrying a second
> plate, putting it in the dishwasher and stacking it...... pennies... to
> small to charge for, smaller than the cost of providing a glass of water.

It's not about the plate. There are fixed costs for every table, which
they have to recover or they will go out of business.

> They like to point out the dollars and cents and percentages of various
> aspects of the goods and services provided, but their menu prices are
> all over the place. They may not make as much as they want one entree
> as they would on two, but they probably make up for it on the high mark
> up extras like soft drinks and coffee.

Menu prices are pretty much "what they think people will pay for something"..
Look at breakfast. A $15 dollar breakfast is a lot, but the cost to the
restaurant of providing breakfast is similar to other meals. So they
charge $8 and figure people will come in for other meals, since they
like the breakfast.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 8:05:00 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-09-25 7:49 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> >> For some reason I still subscribe to that newspaper, but I have been
> >> tempted to cancel for some time. It certainly isn't the first time
> >> that I have disagreed with that ethics columnists. They can spare us
> >> the sob story about paying for the restaurant experience when they
> >> have ruined that by gouging customers for an extra plate. There is
> >> minimal extra cost to providing a second plate. The extra work of
> >> carrying a second plate, putting it in the dishwasher and stacking
> >> it...... pennies... to small to charge for, smaller than the cost of
> >> providing a glass of water.
> >>
> >> They like to point out the dollars and cents and percentages of
> >> various aspects of the goods and services provided, but their menu
> >> prices are all over the place.Â* They may not make as much as they want
> >> one entree as they would on two, but they probably make up for it on
> >> the high mark up extras like soft drinks and coffee.
> >>

> > I understand it completely, but my background is in manufacturing.Â* I
> > was the general manager in molding plants.Â* When pricing out a job we
> > had the cost of material and the cost of operating the machine.
> > Restaurants are no different.Â* They have the cost of food and the cost
> > of operating and that cost is divided by the number of tables.Â* To be
> > profitable, we had to bring in $X over the cost of material, a
> > restaurant has to bring in $X over the cost of food.Â* You have a table
> > for two but only sell food to one, you are not making your basic cost,
> > thus the plate charge.
> >
> > It may not matter so much at 4 PM when half the tables are empty, but on
> > Saturday night, they expect 9and need) a certain amount of sales per hour.

> Not just for the sake of argument, or maybe it is, what about seating
> single people at tables? They are only going to order a single entree.
> At least with two people sharing that single entree there is the
> opportunity to soak them on the high mark up drinks.

It's not like they can refuse them. On the plus side, turnover on
single covers is faster than multiples, so they can maybe get in
two singles in nearly the same time as one double.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 3:58:36 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:

> I have never seen two people sharing one dish. Having a taste, maybe, but
> never two people eating one dish.
>
> I don't know what happens in fast food places because I don't use them, but
> never in the places we use.
>
> I have wondered is it because they serve huge portions in US?

Probably. We don't share a complete meal except at Chinese restaurants.
The two of us can barely finish a single order of mu shu pork together,
although we're more likely to get an appetizer if we're sharing.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 3:58:36 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "Nancy Young" wrote in message ...
>
> On 9/25/2017 11:31 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > We may share but not passing a plate back and forth. I may cut off a
> > piece from my meal and put it on her plate and she may do the same for me
> > so we get a taste of the other's dish.

> We often order different things so we can share. I never thought
> it would bother anyone if we ate off each other's plate or passed
> over a bite or two.
>
> > We've often ordered one dessert and the server will bring two spoons.
> > Sharing dessert is fairly common, it seems.

> If not expected. If one person orders dessert, guarantee there
> will be enough spoons handed out for everyone at the table.
>
> nancy
>
> ==
>
> Restaurants here have cutlery (flatware?) at each place. If 2 people sit
> down, the rest will be cleared away. Everyone has spoons etc at each place.
> In good restaurants anyway.

Better restaurants will clear the dirty cutlery after the main meal, and
bring additional spoons and/or forks for coffee and dessert.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 11:37:59 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Were your chicken katsu and rice not on a plate?
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

It sure was. It was Japanese style curry served Japanese style i.e., the chicken was laying on a bed of rice, lazily dipping it's toes in a river of curry.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/55/c4...501cf50cc8.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 10:37:44 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 02:14:08 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>wrote:
>
>>On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 9:58:36 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> I have never seen two people sharing one dish. Having a taste, maybe,
>>> but
>>> never two people eating one dish.

>When you put it like that, I agree that it sounds really weird, like
>two people trying to wear one coat. I only find it normal when it's a
>desert or maybe an entree. Just to both have a taste of it.
>
>>> I don't know what happens in fast food places because I don't use them,
>>> but
>>> never in the places we use.
>>>
>>> I have wondered is it because they serve huge portions in US?

>Lol.
>
>===
>
>I wasn't being rude or nasty I had just heard people here talk about the
>huge portions.

Nor was my mere "lol" implying that you were rude or nasty.