Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Misused Italian food names/foods

Tuscani pastas? Five-cheese stuffed rigatoni topped with sausage?
Panini sandwiches? If you've ever winced at the oily, cheesy messes
that pass for Italian food in much of America, you'll enjoy this
article (see No. 6!)

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Top-10-Americanate
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 8, 9:05*am, wrote:
> Tuscani pastas? Five-cheese stuffed rigatoni topped with sausage?
> Panini sandwiches? If you've ever winced at the oily, cheesy messes
> that pass for Italian food in much of America, you'll enjoy this
> article (see No. 6!)
>
> http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Top-10-Americanate

That "Tuscani" crap (and the off-beat pronunciation) really annoys the
heck out of me.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote on Thu, 8 May 2008 08:04:46 -0700 (PDT):

> On May 8, 9:05 am, wrote:
>> Tuscani pastas? Five-cheese stuffed rigatoni topped with
>> sausage? Panini sandwiches? If you've ever winced at the
>> oily, cheesy messes that pass for Italian food in much of
>> America, you'll enjoy this article (see No. 6!)
>>
>> http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Top-10-Americanate

> That "Tuscani" crap (and the off-beat pronunciation) really
> annoys the heck out of me.

I sympathize with your comments about oiliness but what are you
referring to about pronunciation? Is it it attempts to give an
Italian accent, which is pretentious and usually mistaken or bad
grammar? Grammatical errors in naming a dish of foreign origin
are just amusing to me but then, I don't know a lot of Italian.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
On May 8, 9:05 am, wrote:
> Tuscani pastas? Five-cheese stuffed rigatoni topped with sausage?
> Panini sandwiches? If you've ever winced at the oily, cheesy messes
> that pass for Italian food in much of America, you'll enjoy this
> article (see No. 6!)
>
> http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Top-10-Americanate

That "Tuscani" crap (and the off-beat pronunciation) really annoys the
heck out of me.

N.

have to totally agree with the sentiments expressed in the article...it's
happening in Oz as well, the multitude of pseudo-Italian heat and eat
lasagna, cannelloni and whatever else the manufacturers can butcher

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Tuscani pastas? Five-cheese stuffed rigatoni topped with sausage?
> Panini sandwiches? If you've ever winced at the oily, cheesy messes
> that pass for Italian food in much of America, you'll enjoy this
> article (see No. 6!)
>
> http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Top-10-Americanate

What a great article! I laughed out loud at the "misused Italian food
names" section. YEARS ago (I think I may have even been in my late teens!),
I used to joke about opening my own restaurant, "Mama McNiff's Authentic
Italian Cuisine".

Oh hell, it was funny THEN!

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Nancy2 > wrote:

> On May 8, 9:05*am, wrote:
> > Tuscani pastas? Five-cheese stuffed rigatoni topped with sausage?
> > Panini sandwiches? If you've ever winced at the oily, cheesy messes
> > that pass for Italian food in much of America, you'll enjoy this
> > article (see No. 6!)
> >
> > http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Top-10-Americanate

> That "Tuscani" crap (and the off-beat pronunciation) really annoys the
> heck out of me.

Shrimp scampi, anyone?

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 8, 10:22*am, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> *Nancy2 *wrote *on Thu, 8 May 2008 08:04:46 -0700 (PDT):
>
> > On May 8, 9:05 am, wrote:
> >> Tuscani pastas? Five-cheese stuffed rigatoni topped with
> >> sausage? Panini sandwiches? If you've ever winced at the
> >> oily, cheesy messes that pass for Italian food in much of
> >> America, you'll enjoy this article (see No. 6!)

> >>http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Top-10-Americanate

> > That "Tuscani" crap (and the off-beat pronunciation) really
> > annoys the heck out of me.

> I sympathize with your comments about oiliness but what are you
> referring to about pronunciation? Is it it attempts to give an
> Italian accent, which is pretentious and usually mistaken or bad
> grammar? Grammatical errors in naming a dish of foreign origin
> are just amusing to me but then, I don't know a lot of Italian.
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

I didn't say anything about "oiliness."

I think saying "Tus-kahn'-ee" is a stupid take-off of "Tuscany."

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote on Thu, 8 May 2008 14:29:02 -0700 (PDT):

> On May 8, 10:22 am, "James Silverton"
> >
> wrote:
>> Nancy2 wrote on Thu, 8 May 2008 08:04:46 -0700 (PDT):

> >> That "Tuscani" crap (and the off-beat pronunciation) really
> >> annoys the heck out of me.

>> I sympathize with your comments about oiliness but what are
>> you referring to about pronunciation? Is it it attempts to
>> give an Italian accent, which is pretentious and usually
>> mistaken or bad grammar? Grammatical errors in naming a dish
>> of foreign origin are just amusing to me but then, I don't
>> know a lot of Italian.
>>
>> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

> I didn't say anything about "oiliness."

Sorry if it wasn't you but a lot of commercial Italian food is
plain greasy. I am not annoyed by misuse of foreign languages;
it's just plain funny. Others can do wonderful things to
English, witness the Japanese, especially with their difficulty
in distinguishing R an L.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ali Ali is offline

Apparently, Pepperoni is from the south of Italy, but in the south of Italy
I have never heard any reference to Pepperoni. Anyone who has eaten true
salami sausage from Reggio Calabria will not entertain Pepperoni in a
million years.

Pepperoni can also be easily mistaken verbally from Pepperoni, which of
course is peppers. Or peperoncino, which is chili's.

> wrote in message
> Tuscani pastas? Five-cheese stuffed rigatoni topped with sausage?
> Panini sandwiches? If you've ever winced at the oily, cheesy messes
> that pass for Italian food in much of America, you'll enjoy this
> article (see No. 6!)
>
> http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Top-10-Americanate

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Miche > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Nancy2 > wrote:
>
> > On May 8, 9:05*am, wrote:
> > > Tuscani pastas? Five-cheese stuffed rigatoni topped with sausage?
> > > Panini sandwiches? If you've ever winced at the oily, cheesy messes
> > > that pass for Italian food in much of America, you'll enjoy this
> > > article (see No. 6!)
> > >
> > > http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Top-10-Americanate

> > That "Tuscani" crap (and the off-beat pronunciation) really annoys the
> > heck out of me.

> Shrimp scampi, anyone?

I'd rather have the Chicken Scampi, thanks!

You can get this at The Olive Garden, a large chain in the US, also
featuring the above named five-cheese stuffed rigatoni topped with
sausage:

http://www.olivegarden.com/menus/

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 8, 9:05 am, wrote:
> Tuscani pastas? Five-cheese stuffed rigatoni topped with sausage?
> Panini sandwiches? If you've ever winced at the oily, cheesy messes
> that pass for Italian food in much of America, you'll enjoy this
> article (see No. 6!)
>
> http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Top-10-Americanate

Guilty as charged. A little tedious, but oh so true. Fact is, our
Number 1 ranking is slipping in just about everything. But we'll
always be Number 1 in Americanate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > That "Tuscani" crap (and the off-beat pronunciation) really annoys the
> > heck out of me.

> Shrimp scampi, anyone?
>
> Miche
>
> --

That's always been a killer - and now, even big-name "chefs" are using
it to describe a dish. Sigh.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message

>> > That "Tuscani" crap (and the off-beat pronunciation) really annoys the
>> > heck out of me.

>> Shrimp scampi, anyone?

> That's always been a killer - and now, even big-name "chefs" are using
> it to describe a dish. Sigh.

Looking it up I see than scampi is a type of lobster, and that
Italian for shrimp is gamberetti. Still, scampi has come to mean
a garlic/butter/lemon sauce and that's not going to change.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> > wrote in message
> > Tuscani pastas? Five-cheese stuffed rigatoni topped with sausage?
> > Panini sandwiches? If you've ever winced at the oily, cheesy messes
> > that pass for Italian food in much of America, you'll enjoy this
> > article (see No. 6!)

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Top-10-Americanate

> What a great article! I laughed out loud at the "misused Italian food
> names" section. YEARS ago (I think I may have even been in my late teens!),
> I used to joke about opening my own restaurant, "Mama McNiff's Authentic
> Italian Cuisine".
>
> Oh hell, it was funny THEN!
>
> TammyM

We've taken to calling the Columbus Weekend Festival on Federal Hill in
Providence, RI the Feast of St. Sausage and St. Peppers.

There are at least a dozen or more places where you can get sausage and
peppers along the festival route. They basically close down a large
chunk of Atwells Ave. for this thing.

And the parade, oh boy. Nothing like partying Saturday night and then
wanting to sleep in a bit, like not getting out of bed until after 2PM.

Being awakened by cannons is quite the attention getter.

So yes, it's Americanate. But one year they had no festival or parade
and everyone complained about that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...
> In article
> >,
> Nancy2 > wrote:
>
> > On May 8, 9:05*am, wrote:
> > > Tuscani pastas? Five-cheese stuffed rigatoni topped with sausage?
> > > Panini sandwiches? If you've ever winced at the oily, cheesy messes
> > > that pass for Italian food in much of America, you'll enjoy this
> > > article (see No. 6!)

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Top-10-Americanate

> > That "Tuscani" crap (and the off-beat pronunciation) really annoys the
> > heck out of me.

> Shrimp scampi, anyone?
>
> Miche

Chicken Picata.