Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mango ice cream is YUM!!

Me and several of my International Student housemates went grocery shopping at an Indian food store, and I bought a big thing of Mango Ice Cream and YUM!!

I also bought some basmati brown rice which I had never seen before and a jar of these dried fruit yummies!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 19:05:26 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>Me and several of my International Student housemates went grocery shopping at an Indian food store, and I bought a big thing of Mango Ice Cream and YUM!!

Aren't they your tenants?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 19:05:26 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
>> Me and several of my International Student housemates went grocery shopping at an Indian food store, and I bought a big thing of Mango Ice Cream and YUM!!

> Aren't they your tenants?

Maybe he suddenly got smart?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 19:43:51 -0400, Alex > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 19:05:26 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Me and several of my International Student housemates went grocery shopping at an Indian food store, and I bought a big thing of Mango Ice Cream and YUM!!

>> Aren't they your tenants?

>Maybe he suddenly got smart?

It's none of my business but he's been talking our ears off about how
he was buying this property from the evil Chinese. Now I wonder if it
actually happened or whether he's been renovating somebody else's
property.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/19/2017 8:03 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 19:43:51 -0400, Alex > wrote:
>
>> Bruce wrote:
>>> On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 19:05:26 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe

>>> Aren't they your tenants?

>> Maybe he suddenly got smart?

> It's none of my business but he's been talking our ears off about how
> he was buying this property from the evil Chinese. Now I wonder if it
> actually happened or whether he's been renovating somebody else's
> property.

It was put off to October so some work could be done.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 21:24:08 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 9/19/2017 8:03 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> Maybe he suddenly got smart?

>> It's none of my business but he's been talking our ears off about how
>> he was buying this property from the evil Chinese. Now I wonder if it
>> actually happened or whether he's been renovating somebody else's
>> property.
>>

>It was put off to October so some work could be done.

Oh, thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 7:03:10 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 19:43:51 -0400, Alex > wrote:
>
> >Bruce wrote:
> >> On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 19:05:26 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe

> >> Aren't they your tenants?

> >Maybe he suddenly got smart?

> It's none of my business but he's been talking our ears off about how
> he was buying this property from the evil Chinese. Now I wonder if it
> actually happened or whether he's been renovating somebody else's
> property.

Let me try and explain this to you. You must be very IGNORANT about real estate deals in the United States:

I am UNDER CONTRACT to BUY this house CASH, but an Occupancy Permit Inspection failed with THREE PAGES of line items of Occupancy Permit failures that I have to get remedied in order to complete the sale and legally transfer this property to ME!

Get it now, or are you just obtuse/STUPID?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 09:24:33 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 7:03:10 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

>> >Maybe he suddenly got smart?

>> It's none of my business but he's been talking our ears off about how
>> he was buying this property from the evil Chinese. Now I wonder if it
>> actually happened or whether he's been renovating somebody else's
>> property.

>Let me try and explain this to you. You must be very IGNORANT about real estate deals in the United States:

Of course I am. Are you very familiar with Australian real estate
deals?

>I am UNDER CONTRACT to BUY this house CASH, but an Occupancy Permit Inspection failed with THREE PAGES of line items of Occupancy Permit failures that I have to get remedied in order to complete the sale and legally transfer this property to ME!

But the Evil Chinese is allowed to have occupants?

>Get it now, or are you just obtuse/STUPID?

Isn't there a third option?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 7:03:10 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

>>> Maybe he suddenly got smart?

>> It's none of my business but he's been talking our ears off about how
>> he was buying this property from the evil Chinese. Now I wonder if it
>> actually happened or whether he's been renovating somebody else's
>> property.

> Let me try and explain this to you. You must be very IGNORANT about real
> estate deals in the United States:
>
> I am UNDER CONTRACT to BUY this house CASH, but an Occupancy Permit
> Inspection failed with THREE PAGES of line items of Occupancy Permit
> failures that I have to get remedied in order to complete the sale and
> legally transfer this property to ME!
>
> Get it now, or are you just obtuse/STUPID?
>
> John Kuthe...

That YOU need to fix the occupancy permit failures (belonging to your
landlord) in order to complete the sale is mind boggling. Who would do
that?! YOU should have imposed those fixes on YOUR landlord in order to
complete the sale. Or are you just obtuse/STUPID?

--
jinx the minx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 6:45:13 AM UTC-10, Jinx the Minx wrote:

> That YOU need to fix the occupancy permit failures (belonging to your
> landlord) in order to complete the sale is mind boggling. Who would do
> that?! YOU should have imposed those fixes on YOUR landlord in order to
> complete the sale. Or are you just obtuse/STUPID?
>
> --
> jinx the minx

Typically a house sale would be contingent on the seller making the needed repairs. The buyer should never make repairs or improvements to other people's property before a sale is closed.

I've been telling people to never underestimate the Chinese but that stuff just sluffs off the brainpan of most Americans. Not to worry, in a decade or so, American will come to understand my futile rantings and learn to fear and respect them. I've abandoned my warning mode and am currently in my "I told you so" mode.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2017 10:24 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
> I am UNDER CONTRACT to BUY this house CASH, but an Occupancy Permit Inspection failed with THREE PAGES of line items of Occupancy Permit failures that I have to get remedied in order to complete the sale and legally transfer this property to ME!

Sounds like the seller screwed you big time.

Did someone here predict that?

Is there some reason YOU are on the hoptr seat and not the seller?

Didn't use an attorney on the contract?

Oh well.....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2017 10:45 AM, jinx the minx wrote:
> John Kuthe > wrote:

>>> It's none of my business but he's been talking our ears off about how
>>> he was buying this property from the evil Chinese. Now I wonder if it
>>> actually happened or whether he's been renovating somebody else's
>>> property.

>> Let me try and explain this to you. You must be very IGNORANT about real
>> estate deals in the United States:
>>
>> I am UNDER CONTRACT to BUY this house CASH, but an Occupancy Permit
>> Inspection failed with THREE PAGES of line items of Occupancy Permit
>> failures that I have to get remedied in order to complete the sale and
>> legally transfer this property to ME!
>>
>> Get it now, or are you just obtuse/STUPID?
>>
>> John Kuthe...
>>

> That YOU need to fix the occupancy permit failures (belonging to your
> landlord) in order to complete the sale is mind boggling. Who would do
> that?! YOU should have imposed those fixes on YOUR landlord in order to
> complete the sale. Or are you just obtuse/STUPID?

No lawyer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 21:24:08 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 9/19/2017 8:03 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> Maybe he suddenly got smart?

>> It's none of my business but he's been talking our ears off about how
>> he was buying this property from the evil Chinese. Now I wonder if it
>> actually happened or whether he's been renovating somebody else's
>> property.

>It was put off to October so some work could be done.

I really don't believe him, no one in their right mind does major
repairs on a house they're planning to buy, if anything
repairs/renovations are what the seller does, NOT the buyer... but
then again John has never been sane, not even at birth... probably
those huge forceps that yanked him out of the birth canal... he has
those big dents in his temples. Perhaps one day he'll post a photo of
the deed in his name, but I doubt he's buying any property, he's
pretty much pennyless, as pennuyless as his father has always been. I
don't believe John inherited more than burial expenses which of course
he can't pay a dime.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 7:03:10 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

>>> Maybe he suddenly got smart?

>> It's none of my business but he's been talking our ears off about how
>> he was buying this property from the evil Chinese. Now I wonder if it
>> actually happened or whether he's been renovating somebody else's
>> property.

> Let me try and explain this to you. You must be very IGNORANT about real estate deals in the United States:
>
> I am UNDER CONTRACT to BUY this house CASH, but an Occupancy Permit Inspection failed with THREE PAGES of line items of Occupancy Permit failures that I have to get remedied in order to complete the sale and legally transfer this property to ME!
>
> Get it now, or are you just obtuse/STUPID?
>
> John Kuthe...

I've never purchased a property in such disrepair that I couldn't move
in the next day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-20 7:43 PM, Alex wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:

>>> It's none of my business but he's been talking our ears off about how
>>> he was buying this property from the evil Chinese. Now I wonder if it
>>> actually happened or whether he's been renovating somebody else's
>>> property.

>> Let me try and explain this to you. You must be very IGNORANT about
>> real estate deals in the United States:
>>
>> I am UNDER CONTRACT to BUY this house CASH, but an Occupancy Permit
>> Inspection failed with THREE PAGES of line items of Occupancy Permit
>> failures that I have to get remedied in order to complete the sale and
>> legally transfer this property to ME!
>>
>> Get it now, or are you just obtuse/STUPID?
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> I've never purchased a property in such disrepair that I couldn't move
> in the next day.

What sane person would. In the real world it is generally up to the
seller to tend to repairs to make the property acceptable for sale. Most
offers of purchase have conditions of sale, such as tending to required
repairs. Kuthe knows better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2017 19:50, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-09-20 7:43 PM, Alex wrote:
>> John Kuthe wrote:

>>> Let me try and explain this to you. You must be very IGNORANT about
>>> real estate deals in the United States:
>>>
>>> I am UNDER CONTRACT to BUY this house CASH, but an Occupancy Permit
>>> Inspection failed with THREE PAGES of line items of Occupancy Permit
>>> failures that I have to get remedied in order to complete the sale
>>> and legally transfer this property to ME!
>>>
>>> Get it now, or are you just obtuse/STUPID?
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...

>> I've never purchased a property in such disrepair that I couldn't move
>> in the next day.

> What sane person would. In the real world it is generally up to the
> seller to tend to repairs to make the property acceptable for sale. Most
> offers of purchase have conditions of sale, such as tending to required
> repairs. KutheÂ* knows better.

Obviously he doesn't know better. When I was (briefly) considering
selling my house the real estate agent told me I'd have to repair the
wood rot (some of the exterior trim has issues). That would also have
involved repainting the house. Both major expenses and would have been
my responsibility as the SELLER.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Casa de Masa > wrote:
> On 9/20/2017 10:45 AM, jinx the minx wrote:
>> John Kuthe > wrote:

>>> Let me try and explain this to you. You must be very IGNORANT about real
>>> estate deals in the United States:
>>>
>>> I am UNDER CONTRACT to BUY this house CASH, but an Occupancy Permit
>>> Inspection failed with THREE PAGES of line items of Occupancy Permit
>>> failures that I have to get remedied in order to complete the sale and
>>> legally transfer this property to ME!
>>>
>>> Get it now, or are you just obtuse/STUPID?
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...
>>>

>> That YOU need to fix the occupancy permit failures (belonging to your
>> landlord) in order to complete the sale is mind boggling. Who would do
>> that?! YOU should have imposed those fixes on YOUR landlord in order to
>> complete the sale. Or are you just obtuse/STUPID?
>>

> No lawyer.

Blinded by his own mammon worshipping greed.

--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 3:17:12 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 19:05:26 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
> >Me and several of my International Student housemates went grocery shopping at an Indian food store, and I bought a big thing of Mango Ice Cream and YUM!!

> Aren't they your tenants?

Well, not legally yet. But yes.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 11:45:13 AM UTC-5, Jinx the Minx wrote:
> John Kuthe > wrote:

> >> It's none of my business but he's been talking our ears off about how
> >> he was buying this property from the evil Chinese. Now I wonder if it
> >> actually happened or whether he's been renovating somebody else's
> >> property.

> > Let me try and explain this to you. You must be very IGNORANT about real
> > estate deals in the United States:
> >
> > I am UNDER CONTRACT to BUY this house CASH, but an Occupancy Permit
> > Inspection failed with THREE PAGES of line items of Occupancy Permit
> > failures that I have to get remedied in order to complete the sale and
> > legally transfer this property to ME!
> >
> > Get it now, or are you just obtuse/STUPID?
> >
> > John Kuthe...
> >

> That YOU need to fix the occupancy permit failures (belonging to your
> landlord) in order to complete the sale is mind boggling. Who would do
> that?! YOU should have imposed those fixes on YOUR landlord in order to
> complete the sale. Or are you just obtuse/STUPID?
>
> --
> jinx the minx

Oh would that it were!

No no, my cheap Chinese landlord is never gonna put any money or love into this house. He and his Chinese partner in China just want out from under this property.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 6:43:33 PM UTC-5, Alex wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:

> >> It's none of my business but he's been talking our ears off about how
> >> he was buying this property from the evil Chinese. Now I wonder if it
> >> actually happened or whether he's been renovating somebody else's
> >> property.

> > Let me try and explain this to you. You must be very IGNORANT about real estate deals in the United States:
> >
> > I am UNDER CONTRACT to BUY this house CASH, but an Occupancy Permit Inspection failed with THREE PAGES of line items of Occupancy Permit failures that I have to get remedied in order to complete the sale and legally transfer this property to ME!
> >
> > Get it now, or are you just obtuse/STUPID?
> >
> > John Kuthe...

> I've never purchased a property in such disrepair that I couldn't move
> in the next day.

I and my housemates ARE living here now! And the new kitchen and new bath units rock!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2017 13:07, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Obviously he doesn't know better. When I was (briefly) considering
>> selling my house the real estate agent told me I'd have to repair the
>> wood rot (some of the exterior trim has issues). That would also have
>> involved repainting the house. Both major expenses and would have been
>> my responsibility as the SELLER.

> Don't we have a "sell as it is" thing here? Owner doesn't want to
> improve anything, just sell. And buyer knows about the required
> things to fix. They pay less and fix up themselves. Is this not
> true?
>
> If a seller just want's to unload a house, there should be no
> govt requirement to fix things first as long as the problems are
> stated out front and the buyer agrees to it (and the reduced
> price)

The difference, Gary, is if the buyer is trying to get a mortgage. John
Kuthe claims he's paying cash. (Still doesn't make sense he'd do all
these repairs and upgrades *before* he owns the house.)

Sure, you can buy and sell a house "as is". But if a buyer expects to
get a mortgage the lending bank expects they're at least buying a house
that passes inspection.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2017 13:07, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Obviously he doesn't know better. When I was (briefly) considering
>> selling my house the real estate agent told me I'd have to repair the
>> wood rot (some of the exterior trim has issues). That would also have
>> involved repainting the house. Both major expenses and would have been
>> my responsibility as the SELLER.

> Don't we have a "sell as it is" thing here? Owner doesn't want to
> improve anything, just sell. And buyer knows about the required
> things to fix. They pay less and fix up themselves. Is this not
> true?

I have no clue what Kuthe agreed to but it sure sounds like he's wasting
money to improve a property he doesn't own.

> If a seller just want's to unload a house, there should be no
> govt requirement to fix things first as long as the problems are
> stated out front and the buyer agrees to it (and the reduced
> price)

If he's going to be renting the house to "roomates" sure, he should have
to meet code requirements. He shouldn't be the one paying for them
before he actually owns the property. That was my point.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Obviously he doesn't know better. When I was (briefly) considering
> selling my house the real estate agent told me I'd have to repair the
> wood rot (some of the exterior trim has issues). That would also have
> involved repainting the house. Both major expenses and would have been
> my responsibility as the SELLER.

Don't we have a "sell as it is" thing here? Owner doesn't want to
improve anything, just sell. And buyer knows about the required
things to fix. They pay less and fix up themselves. Is this not
true?

If a seller just want's to unload a house, there should be no
govt requirement to fix things first as long as the problems are
stated out front and the buyer agrees to it (and the reduced
price)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 13:07:01 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Obviously he doesn't know better. When I was (briefly) considering
>> selling my house the real estate agent told me I'd have to repair the
>> wood rot (some of the exterior trim has issues). That would also have
>> involved repainting the house. Both major expenses and would have been
>> my responsibility as the SELLER.

>Don't we have a "sell as it is" thing here? Owner doesn't want to
>improve anything, just sell. And buyer knows about the required
>things to fix. They pay less and fix up themselves. Is this not
>true?
>
>If a seller just want's to unload a house, there should be no
>govt requirement to fix things first as long as the problems are
>stated out front and the buyer agrees to it (and the reduced
>price)

Sometimes the buyer prefers to do it themselves, in which case here,
there will be an agreement to take whatever the cost off the price of
the house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 7:05:49 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:

> Don't we have a "sell as it is" thing here? Owner doesn't want to
> improve anything, just sell. And buyer knows about the required
> things to fix. They pay less and fix up themselves. Is this not
> true?
>
> If a seller just want's to unload a house, there should be no
> govt requirement to fix things first as long as the problems are
> stated out front and the buyer agrees to it (and the reduced
> price)

My guess is that 1) The property is being sold as a rental property and 2) a rental property has to meet additional standards before it can be sold.

Three pages of requirement to get up to code sounds pretty daunting to me. My guess is that some are minor, some are a little more costly to fix, and some are just flat out deal breakers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2017 1:01 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> And boy, you sure
> got reamed on this deal.

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

Hide the Ho Ho's!!!!!!!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 3:17:12 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 19:05:26 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Me and several of my International Student housemates went grocery shopping at an Indian food store, and I bought a big thing of Mango Ice Cream and YUM!!

>> Aren't they your tenants?

> Well, not legally yet. But yes.
>
> John Kuthe...

Keep telling yourself that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 11:45:13 AM UTC-5, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>> John Kuthe > wrote:

>>> Let me try and explain this to you. You must be very IGNORANT about real
>>> estate deals in the United States:
>>>
>>> I am UNDER CONTRACT to BUY this house CASH, but an Occupancy Permit
>>> Inspection failed with THREE PAGES of line items of Occupancy Permit
>>> failures that I have to get remedied in order to complete the sale and
>>> legally transfer this property to ME!
>>>
>>> Get it now, or are you just obtuse/STUPID?
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...
>>>

>> That YOU need to fix the occupancy permit failures (belonging to your
>> landlord) in order to complete the sale is mind boggling. Who would do
>> that?! YOU should have imposed those fixes on YOUR landlord in order to
>> complete the sale. Or are you just obtuse/STUPID?
>>
>> --
>> jinx the minx

> Oh would that it were!
>
> No no, my cheap Chinese landlord is never gonna put any money or love into this house. He and his Chinese partner in China just want out from under this property.
>
> John Kuthe...

They weren't motivated until they found a sucker. Run for the hills!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 6:43:33 PM UTC-5, Alex wrote:
>> John Kuthe wrote:

>>> Let me try and explain this to you. You must be very IGNORANT about real estate deals in the United States:
>>>
>>> I am UNDER CONTRACT to BUY this house CASH, but an Occupancy Permit Inspection failed with THREE PAGES of line items of Occupancy Permit failures that I have to get remedied in order to complete the sale and legally transfer this property to ME!
>>>
>>> Get it now, or are you just obtuse/STUPID?
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...

>> I've never purchased a property in such disrepair that I couldn't move
>> in the next day.

> I and my housemates ARE living here now! And the new kitchen and new bath units rock!
>
> John Kuthe...

You are renting. I specifically used the word "purchased" and that
hasn't occurred yet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Obviously he doesn't know better. When I was (briefly) considering
>> selling my house the real estate agent told me I'd have to repair the
>> wood rot (some of the exterior trim has issues). That would also have
>> involved repainting the house. Both major expenses and would have been
>> my responsibility as the SELLER.

> Don't we have a "sell as it is" thing here? Owner doesn't want to
> improve anything, just sell. And buyer knows about the required
> things to fix. They pay less and fix up themselves. Is this not
> true?
>
> If a seller just want's to unload a house, there should be no
> govt requirement to fix things first as long as the problems are
> stated out front and the buyer agrees to it (and the reduced
> price)

Evidently it's in such bad shape that they can't get an occupancy permit
for it. He and his roommates are just grandfathered in but he has
killer window blinds!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Code spec laws

Wayne Boatwright wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thu 21 Sep 2017 09:00:11a, jmcquown told us...
>
> > On 9/21/2017 14:34, wrote:

> >> Sometimes the buyer prefers to do it themselves, in which case
> >> here, there will be an agreement to take whatever the cost off
> >> the price of the house.
> >>

> > True. I wouldn't gut the kitchen and upgrade it with new
> > appliances, countertops, etc. Chances are my choices wouldn't be
> > what the buyer wants anyway. Still, John Kuthe makes it sound
> > like he's spending a lot of money to fix things because the house
> > is not up to code. That's just silly. IMHO.
> >
> > Jill
> >

> What's not silly is if the house has numerous or even one code
> violation. Inspectors will not sign off on a property that does not
> meet current code reuirements.
>
> Now the difference is whether these are all actual code violations,
> or if John is renovating in the sense that he is upgrading kitchens,
> baths just because of his preferences. Bringing a structure up to
> code seldom incoudes nothing more than structural aremeiation,
> upgrading or replacing electrical systems and plumbing systems.
>
> Who knows what the hell John is actually up to, and frankly, who
> cares.

Careful, laws differ on this between states. My house, built in 1960's
was code spec then and grandfathered for all but renovations. Several
renovations have been done so I am a mix and match of code specs here
but fully legal to sell as is. Outlets in bathroom and kitchen are new
codespecs because I had them installed fairly recently.

If a state requires all aspects of an older house meet the newest
standards, they will sell no older homes ever.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 00:40:07 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>What's not silly is if the house has numerous or even one code
>violation. Inspectors will not sign off on a property that does not
>meet current code reuirements.
>
>Now the difference is whether these are all actual code violations,
>or if John is renovating in the sense that he is upgrading kitchens,
>baths just because of his preferences. Bringing a structure up to
>code seldom incoudes nothing more than structural aremeiation,
>upgrading or replacing electrical systems and plumbing systems.
>
>Who knows what the hell John is actually up to, and frankly, who
>cares.

A certain Wayne Boatwright cares. That's why he wrote a lot about the
topic, right above here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 10:36:56 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > True. I wouldn't gut the kitchen and upgrade it with new
> > > appliances, countertops, etc. Chances are my choices wouldn't be
> > > what the buyer wants anyway. Still, John Kuthe makes it sound
> > > like he's spending a lot of money to fix things because the house
> > > is not up to code. That's just silly. IMHO.
> > >
> > > Jill
> > >

> > What's not silly is if the house has numerous or even one code
> > violation. Inspectors will not sign off on a property that does not
> > meet current code reuirements.
> >
> > Now the difference is whether these are all actual code violations,
> > or if John is renovating in the sense that he is upgrading kitchens,
> > baths just because of his preferences. Bringing a structure up to
> > code seldom incoudes nothing more than structural aremeiation,
> > upgrading or replacing electrical systems and plumbing systems.
> >
> > Who knows what the hell John is actually up to, and frankly, who
> > cares.

> Careful, laws differ on this between states. My house, built in 1960's
> was code spec then and grandfathered for all but renovations. Several
> renovations have been done so I am a mix and match of code specs here
> but fully legal to sell as is. Outlets in bathroom and kitchen are new
> codespecs because I had them installed fairly recently.
>
> If a state requires all aspects of an older house meet the newest
> standards, they will sell no older homes ever.

Rental properties are often held to a higher standard. For example,
even though current code requires smoke detectors, I'm free to do
without. If I wanted to rent it out, I'd have to have them, and
they might have to be hardwired and interconnected, rather than just
battery units stuck to the wall (which is what I have).

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Thu 21 Sep 2017 09:00:11a, jmcquown told us...
>
>> On 9/21/2017 14:34, wrote:

>>> Sometimes the buyer prefers to do it themselves, in which case
>>> here, there will be an agreement to take whatever the cost off
>>> the price of the house.
>>>

>> True. I wouldn't gut the kitchen and upgrade it with new
>> appliances, countertops, etc. Chances are my choices wouldn't be
>> what the buyer wants anyway. Still, John Kuthe makes it sound
>> like he's spending a lot of money to fix things because the house
>> is not up to code. That's just silly. IMHO.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> What's not silly is if the house has numerous or even one code
> violation. Inspectors will not sign off on a property that does not
> meet current code reuirements.

I can only comment based on what he's mentioned about this house. Like
replacing window blinds. And his wish to upgrade the garage with
built-in chargers for the electric cars he imagines all his renters will
own. Uh, what?!

> Now the difference is whether these are all actual code violations,
> or if John is renovating in the sense that he is upgrading kitchens,
> baths just because of his preferences. Bringing a structure up to
> code seldom incoudes nothing more than structural aremeiation,
> upgrading or replacing electrical systems and plumbing systems.

True. The thing is, what he's mentioned is structural and I don't think
he's the one who should be paying for it.

> Who knows what the hell John is actually up to, and frankly, who
> cares.

It makes for interesting speculation.

OB Food: I don't like mangos so I doubt I'd like mango ice cream. I do
like pineapple sherbet.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2017 11:09 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/21/2017 13:07, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> Obviously he doesn't know better.Â* When I was (briefly) considering
>>> selling my house the real estate agent told me I'd have to repair the
>>> wood rot (some of the exterior trim has issues).Â* That would also have
>>> involved repainting the house.Â* Both major expenses and would have been
>>> my responsibility as the SELLER.

>> Don't we have a "sell as it is" thing here? Owner doesn't want to
>> improve anything, just sell. And buyer knows about the required
>> things to fix. They pay less and fix up themselves. Is this not
>> true?
>>
>> If a seller just want's to unload a house, there should be no
>> govt requirement to fix things first as long as the problems are
>> stated out front and the buyer agrees to it (and the reduced
>> price)
>>

> The difference, Gary, is if the buyer is trying to get a mortgage.Â* John
> Kuthe claims he's paying cash.Â* (Still doesn't make sense he'd do all
> these repairs and upgrades *before* he owns the house.)
>
> Sure, you can buy and sell a house "as is".Â* But if a buyer expects to
> get a mortgage the lending bank expects they're at least buying a house
> that passes inspection.
>
> Jill

Mortgage is one factor, but in this case, he wants to have tenants and
probably needs a license or permit. Unless it is up to code, he could
probably buy the place "as is" but would have to kick out the roommies
he has.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> On 9/21/2017 11:09 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> >> Don't we have a "sell as it is" thing here? Owner doesn't want to
> >> improve anything, just sell. And buyer knows about the required
> >> things to fix. They pay less and fix up themselves. Is this not
> >> true?
> >>
> >> If a seller just want's to unload a house, there should be no
> >> govt requirement to fix things first as long as the problems are
> >> stated out front and the buyer agrees to it (and the reduced
> >> price)
> >>

> > The difference, Gary, is if the buyer is trying to get a mortgage.* John
> > Kuthe claims he's paying cash.* (Still doesn't make sense he'd do all
> > these repairs and upgrades *before* he owns the house.)
> >
> > Sure, you can buy and sell a house "as is".* But if a buyer expects to
> > get a mortgage the lending bank expects they're at least buying a house
> > that passes inspection.
> >
> > Jill

> Mortgage is one factor, but in this case, he wants to have tenants and
> probably needs a license or permit. Unless it is up to code, he could
> probably buy the place "as is" but would have to kick out the roommies
> he has.

So why does the owner, who lets it to tenants. not required a
license/permit and why has the same permit/licence authority not made
the current owner do the upgrade it's now demanding from John (who
doesn't own it).

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-22 7:29 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/21/2017 8:40 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> It makes for interesting speculation.
>
> OB Food: I don't like mangos so I doubt I'd like mango ice cream.Â* I do
> like pineapple sherbet.

My wife loves peaches and dislikes mangoes. I always expected that she
should like mangoes because of their many similarities to peaches. That
is what seems to be the problem for her. She bites into it expecting
peach and gets something different.