Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default For Nick: Habanero Mango-Ricotta Ice Cream

Every time you mention your Bhut Jolokia peppers the hair on my neck
stands on end. I was reading (again) about the dreaded Dorset Naga and I
came across this not exactly diabetic-friendly recipe:

Habanero Chili and Mango-Ricotta Ice Cream
from http://www.reallycoolseeds.co.uk (they sell Dorset Naga seeds if
you're interested)

140g sugar
1 Habanero, seeded
4 mangoes (800g total)
strained juice of 2 limes
250g ricotta cheese
6 Tablespoons Greek-style yogurt

Making ice cream with ricotta cheese saves all that messing about making
custard. You can use any chili, but the Habanero is the ultimate taste
experience. You may want to open the kitchen window while boiling the syrup.

1. Put the sugar in a small saucepan with 300ml water and the chili.
Bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar, then simmer briskly
for 5 minutes. Leave to cool then remove the chili.

2. Quarter the mangoes, peel and cut into chunks. Puree in a food
processor with the lime juice and cooled syrup.

3. In a large bowl, beat together the ricotta and yogurt until very
smooth. Mix in the mango puree, whisking well.

4. Freeze in an ice cream maker following manufacturer's instructions .

---

This isn't something I would try. I won't go hotter than few birds-eye
chiles crammed into a bottle of vodka then frozen for a week or so. :-)

If you do try it, let me know, I'm curious.

Vicki
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

percy > wrote:
> Every time you mention your Bhut Jolokia peppers the hair on my neck
> stands on end. I was reading (again) about the dreaded Dorset Naga and I
> came across this not exactly diabetic-friendly recipe:
>
> Habanero Chili and Mango-Ricotta Ice Cream
> from http://www.reallycoolseeds.co.uk (they sell Dorset Naga seeds if
> you're interested)
> [ . . . ]

Thanks, Vicki, I think Jun bought a hand ice cream maker some years ago,
but neither of us knows where it is.

The Bhut Jolokia is, indeed, a Naga. They originated in Indonesia and are
about ten times hotter than Thai chiles. We've got a couple of hundred
seeds from this years crop. Jun wants to plant an acre of them. ;-0

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 17:55:39 -0500, Barking Dog
> wrote:

>This actually sounds good! Could you substitute Splenda for the sugar
>and, how unfriendly would that be?

You'd have to add some of Vicky's vodka too... the sugar is essential
for a soft set, unless you use alcohol to get the same effect.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

percy wrote:
> Every time you mention your Bhut Jolokia peppers the hair on my neck
> stands on end. I was reading (again) about the dreaded Dorset Naga and I
> came across this not exactly diabetic-friendly recipe:
>
> Habanero Chili and Mango-Ricotta Ice Cream
> from http://www.reallycoolseeds.co.uk (they sell Dorset Naga seeds if
> you're interested)
>
> 140g sugar
> 1 Habanero, seeded
> 4 mangoes (800g total)
> strained juice of 2 limes
> 250g ricotta cheese
> 6 Tablespoons Greek-style yogurt
>
> Making ice cream with ricotta cheese saves all that messing about making
> custard. You can use any chili, but the Habanero is the ultimate taste
> experience. You may want to open the kitchen window while boiling the
> syrup.
>
> 1. Put the sugar in a small saucepan with 300ml water and the chili.
> Bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar, then simmer briskly
> for 5 minutes. Leave to cool then remove the chili.
>
> 2. Quarter the mangoes, peel and cut into chunks. Puree in a food
> processor with the lime juice and cooled syrup.
>
> 3. In a large bowl, beat together the ricotta and yogurt until very
> smooth. Mix in the mango puree, whisking well.
>
> 4. Freeze in an ice cream maker following manufacturer's instructions .
>
> ---
>
> This isn't something I would try. I won't go hotter than few birds-eye
> chiles crammed into a bottle of vodka then frozen for a week or so. :-)
>
> If you do try it, let me know, I'm curious.
>
> Vicki

This actually sounds good! Could you substitute Splenda for the sugar
and, how unfriendly would that be?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> Barking Dog > wrote:
>
> >This actually sounds good! Could you substitute Splenda for the sugar
> >and, how unfriendly would that be?

> You'd have to add some of Vicky's vodka too... the sugar is essential
> for a soft set, unless you use alcohol to get the same effect.

I'll drink to that! Thanks, Nicky. ;-)