Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Marinated Mushrooms

Marinated Mushrooms

1 pound of small, whole mushrooms, stemmed
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup corn oil or olive oil
1 ¾ cup wine vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons prepared mustard (Dijon)
2 teaspoons salt
1+ teaspoon oregano dried oregano leaves
Prepare mushrooms, saute mince garlic and mushrooms in oil until
tender. Remove from heat. Add vinegar, sugar, prepared mustard,
salt and oregano leaves. Cover and chill 12 or more hours.

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Marinated Mushrooms
>
> 1 pound of small, whole mushrooms, stemmed
> 1 clove garlic, minced
> 1 cup corn oil or olive oil
> 1 ¾ cup wine vinegar
> 1/3 cup sugar
> 2 tablespoons prepared mustard (Dijon)
> 2 teaspoons salt
> 1+ teaspoon oregano dried oregano leaves
> Prepare mushrooms, saute mince garlic and mushrooms in oil until
> tender. Remove from heat. Add vinegar, sugar, prepared mustard,
> salt and oregano leaves. Cover and chill 12 or more hours.
>
> Janet US

Hey Janet, do you think this will work with King Oyster as well?
(Assumption there you were usng standard button types).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 May 2017 17:09:48 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> Marinated Mushrooms
>>
>> 1 pound of small, whole mushrooms, stemmed
>> 1 clove garlic, minced
>> 1 cup corn oil or olive oil
>> 1 ¾ cup wine vinegar
>> 1/3 cup sugar
>> 2 tablespoons prepared mustard (Dijon)
>> 2 teaspoons salt
>> 1+ teaspoon oregano dried oregano leaves
>> Prepare mushrooms, saute mince garlic and mushrooms in oil until
>> tender. Remove from heat. Add vinegar, sugar, prepared mustard,
>> salt and oregano leaves. Cover and chill 12 or more hours.
>>
>> Janet US

>Hey Janet, do you think this will work with King Oyster as well?
>(Assumption there you were usng standard button types).

you would have to decide. Obviously the intent is regular old white
button mushrooms -- standard fare. If you look around at jarred
commercial product you see they use this kind of mushroom. They are
sturdy and the cap is solid and evenly distributed. I wouldn't mess
with anything that has a fragile or uneven cap or anything that was
more expensive.
Your choice
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Mon, 08 May 2017 17:09:48 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >

> >> Marinated Mushrooms
> >>
> >> 1 pound of small, whole mushrooms, stemmed
> >> 1 clove garlic, minced
> >> 1 cup corn oil or olive oil
> >> 1 ¾ cup wine vinegar
> >> 1/3 cup sugar
> >> 2 tablespoons prepared mustard (Dijon)
> >> 2 teaspoons salt
> >> 1+ teaspoon oregano dried oregano leaves
> >> Prepare mushrooms, saute mince garlic and mushrooms in oil until
> >> tender. Remove from heat. Add vinegar, sugar, prepared mustard,
> >> salt and oregano leaves. Cover and chill 12 or more hours.
> >>
> >> Janet US

> > Hey Janet, do you think this will work with King Oyster as well?
> > (Assumption there you were usng standard button types).

> you would have to decide. Obviously the intent is regular old white
> button mushrooms -- standard fare. If you look around at jarred
> commercial product you see they use this kind of mushroom. They are
> sturdy and the cap is solid and evenly distributed. I wouldn't mess
> with anything that has a fragile or uneven cap or anything that was
> more expensive.
> Your choice
> Janet US

Ok. Prices vary around the country but here, King Oyster are the least
expensive. They run about 2.99lb if you know where to shop (seasonal
variations) but up to 4.99lb at other times. Key thing is they last a
really LONG time in the fridge when properly stored.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 May 2017 23:29:45 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Mon 08 May 2017 03:53:19p, cshenk told us...
>
>> U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> you would have to decide. Obviously the intent is regular old
>>> white button mushrooms -- standard fare. If you look around at
>>> jarred commercial product you see they use this kind of mushroom.
>>> They are sturdy and the cap is solid and evenly distributed. I
>>> wouldn't mess with anything that has a fragile or uneven cap or
>>> anything that was more expensive.
>>> Your choice
>>> Janet US

>> Ok. Prices vary around the country but here, King Oyster are the
>> least expensive. They run about 2.99lb if you know where to shop
>> (seasonal variations) but up to 4.99lb at other times. Key thing
>> is they last a really LONG time in the fridge when properly
>> stored.
>>

>Given the amount of vinegar in the recipe, the mushrooms are
>essentially pickled. Most types should hold quite well refrigerated.

I wasn't thinking spoilage but rather fragility of mushroom
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/8/2017 5:04 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> Marinated Mushrooms
>
> 1 pound of small, whole mushrooms, stemmed
> 1 clove garlic, minced
> 1 cup corn oil or olive oil
> 1 ¾ cup wine vinegar
> 1/3 cup sugar
> 2 tablespoons prepared mustard (Dijon)
> 2 teaspoons salt
> 1+ teaspoon oregano dried oregano leaves
> Prepare mushrooms, saute mince garlic and mushrooms in oil until
> tender. Remove from heat. Add vinegar, sugar, prepared mustard,
> salt and oregano leaves. Cover and chill 12 or more hours.
>
> Janet US

Thank you for the recipe. It sounds interesting and I might try it soon.
Have you actually made this and approve?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 May 2017 16:04:58 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>On 5/8/2017 5:04 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> Marinated Mushrooms
>>
>> 1 pound of small, whole mushrooms, stemmed
>> 1 clove garlic, minced
>> 1 cup corn oil or olive oil
>> 1 ¾ cup wine vinegar
>> 1/3 cup sugar
>> 2 tablespoons prepared mustard (Dijon)
>> 2 teaspoons salt
>> 1+ teaspoon oregano dried oregano leaves
>> Prepare mushrooms, saute mince garlic and mushrooms in oil until
>> tender. Remove from heat. Add vinegar, sugar, prepared mustard,
>> salt and oregano leaves. Cover and chill 12 or more hours.
>>
>> Janet US

>Thank you for the recipe. It sounds interesting and I might try it soon.
>Have you actually made this and approve?

I've made it many time and am going to make it again soon. I usually
can't wait until the mushrooms are totally cool. I can't remember how
much cheating can be done with more mushrooms but I am sure that I
did so. (My experience with marinades -- recalling the used pickle
thread -- is that one can weaken the product by expecting the marinade
to do too, too big of a job.)
Janet US