Old 12-07-2007, 02:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Marinated Mushrooms

I was going to buy some marinated button mushrooms while at the store
awhile ago. But they were outrageously expensive ($6.49 for a small
10 oz jar).

I would really like to try and marinate some fresh ones. . .I've tried
it a bit in the past, but the mushrooms always turned a gray/brownish
color, fairly quickly.

Does anyone know a process for marinating mushrooms, that works pretty
well for them?

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 12-07-2007, 06:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 11, 7:41 pm, Terry Pulliam Burd
wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 01:52:12 -0000, rummaged
among random neurons and opined:

I was going to buy some marinated button mushrooms while at the store
awhile ago. But they were outrageously expensive ($6.49 for a small
10 oz jar).

I would really like to try and marinate some fresh ones. . .I've tried
it a bit in the past, but the mushrooms always turned a gray/brownish
color, fairly quickly.

Does anyone know a process for marinating mushrooms, that works pretty
well for them?

This comes under the heading of "I'm Embarrassed to Admit It." I clean
button mushrooms and then marinate them overnight in blush Kraft
Zesty Italian Dressing. It's perfect. Mind you, the mushrooms are
going to turn brownish, just as they do when you saute them.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

Thanks so much for the tip! I don't feel like such a "lame" cook
now. As it turns out, I've been marinating them in Kraft Roasted Red
Pepper Italian Dressing. . . So we're nearly on the same page.

I'm also thinking of trying Steve's idea about simmering them for a
few minutes first! I was wondering if setting them in lemon juice
would impede the browning/graying of them a bit. Kind of like what
happens with apple slices?

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 12-07-2007, 04:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I was going to buy some marinated button mushrooms while at the store
awhile ago. But they were outrageously expensive ($6.49 for a small
10 oz jar).

I would really like to try and marinate some fresh ones. . .I've tried
it a bit in the past, but the mushrooms always turned a gray/brownish
color, fairly quickly.

Does anyone know a process for marinating mushrooms, that works pretty
well for them?

Simmer them for 4-5 minutes, then let them dry in a colander on
the counter for a few hours. Add Italian dressing of choice (I
use Girards Italian - just a bit, and some habenero balsamic
vinegar and refrigerate for 24-48 hours.

Well, you get the basic idea. This is what I did on Saturday
(and I ate them tonight). This s my normal method for making
them. The simmering is important - don't just use
fresh/unblanched mushrooms.

They do get dark, though. I suspect you could add a chemical or
two to keep them lighter - which is probably what the
manufacturers do. But why?

-sw

I'd like to try this -- why does the simmering make a difference?
changes the texture?

...fred

Old 12-07-2007, 05:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 12, 7:11 am, Steve Wertz wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 05:05:07 -0000, wrote:
I'm also thinking of trying Steve's idea about simmering them for a
few minutes first! I was wondering if setting them in lemon juice
would impede the browning/graying of them a bit. Kind of like what
happens with apple slices?

I do see at least one reference this on the web, so it would worth
a try.

-sw

Thanks. . .I'm going to try it then!

Myrl

Old 12-07-2007, 09:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 12, 1:07 pm, Steve Wertz wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 08:26:52 -0700, kuvasz guy wrote:
On Jul 12, 12:04 am, Steve Wertz wrote:

Simmer them for 4-5 minutes, then let them dry in a colander on
the counter for a few hours. Add Italian dressing of choice (I
use Girards Italian - just a bit, and some habenero balsamic
vinegar and refrigerate for 24-48 hours.

Well, you get the basic idea. This is what I did on Saturday
(and I ate them tonight). This is my normal method for making
them. The simmering is important - don't just use
fresh/unblanched mushrooms.

I'd like to try this -- why does the simmering make a difference?
changes the texture?

They soak up and distribute the marinade better than they would if
they were fresh. The texture is another important aspect.

No need to boil/simmer too long. I really prefer the these better
- they have a little bit of a bite to them rather than being
almost mushy.

-sw

thanks -- I'll give it a shot....

...fred

Old 13-07-2007, 01:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 11, 7:52 pm, wrote:
I was going to buy some marinated button mushrooms while at the store
awhile ago. But they were outrageously expensive ($6.49 for a small
10 oz jar).

I would really like to try and marinate some fresh ones. . .I've tried
it a bit in the past, but the mushrooms always turned a gray/brownish
color, fairly quickly.

Does anyone know a process for marinating mushrooms, that works pretty
well for them?

Myrl Jeffcoathttp://www.myrljeffcoat.com

My favorite marinated mushroom recipe, from allrecipes:

Simply Marinated Mushrooms

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup water
1 1/2 pounds fresh
mushrooms, stems removed
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground black
pepper
3 tablespoons dried parsley
1/8 teaspoon onion powder

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add mushrooms and simmer for
10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, thyme, salt, lemon
juice, garlic, pepper, parsley and onion powder. Add mushrooms and
toss until coated. Chill in marinade overnight, and reheat to serve.

They are outstanding! I try to have a batch in the fridge all the
time for snacking in front of the TV.

Lynne A

Old 13-07-2007, 09:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 12, 9:55 pm, Steve Wertz wrote:

This is too much spice IMO.

Cheap Balsamic vinegar instead of lemon juice, 3lbs of mushrooms,
half the water, and only 5 minutes simmering (plus 3 hours
drying/draining) would make these better, IMO.

They're still mushrooms.

Have you tried them? I did try cheap balsamic once, but it wasn't as
complimentary a flavor as I thought it would be. Half the water? It
doesn't cover 1 lb. as it is, they end up more steamed than boiled.
And yes, they do have a lot of spice, but served warm with bread for
dunking and they are heavenly. Even my mushroom hating friend
grudgingly admitted that they were "pretty good".

Lynne A

Old 14-07-2007, 04:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 09:06:56 -0500, Steve Wertz
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 20:13:47 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

I dunno, my instinct is to neither simmer them nor set them in lemon
juice. Lemon juice is going to shrink the mushrooms, as will simmering
them, which seems to me to impede the mushrooms' ability to absorb the
marinade. I have no personal experience with either, however, it just
makes sense to me.

Try blanching them once and see for yourself. I've done them both
ways and blanching is far superior, IMNSHO.

Deal - next time I make them, I'll give this a shot and report back.
In fact, I may do a blind study and divide the batch and do 'em both
ways, then see who likes which better.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines