Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default So, the Sterling Silver

On 2017-04-20 9:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I'm going to pout a bit. I don't have the carving set. But hey, I do
> have the cake server. Okay, I can cheer up a bit.

Most carving sets are useless. We were given a Gerber carving set when
as a wedding present. It was useless. My wife thought I should have a
nice stag handled carving set and was upset that I was not excited when
I was gifted with one. It turned out to be useless. I like to use my
Henckels carving knife and fork. For some reason, she doesn't think that
set is appropriate.

Heaven forbid my wife kicks the bucket before I do. There three or four
incomplete silverware sets that will go on the market. She has inherited
silverware from her grandmother, from an aunt and a sort of aunt.

> Those silverware chests on legs were really pretty pieces of furniture.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/21/2017 11:58 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-04-20 9:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I'm going to pout a bit. I don't have the carving set. But hey, I do
>> have the cake server. Okay, I can cheer up a bit.

> Most carving sets are useless. We were given a Gerber carving set when
> as a wedding present. It was useless. My wife thought I should have a
> nice stag handled carving set and was upset that I was not excited when
> I was gifted with one. It turned out to be useless. I like to use my
> Henckels carving knife and fork. For some reason, she doesn't think that
> set is appropriate.

I think those carving sets belong to an era where the meat was carved
*at the table*. Is that where you carve, say, a roast? I carve (for
example) standing rib roast on a cutting board in the kitchen, not at
the table.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/21/2017 12:19 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/21/2017 11:58 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2017-04-20 9:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm going to pout a bit. I don't have the carving set. But hey, I do
>>> have the cake server. Okay, I can cheer up a bit.

>> Most carving sets are useless. We were given a Gerber carving set when
>> as a wedding present. It was useless. My wife thought I should have a
>> nice stag handled carving set and was upset that I was not excited when
>> I was gifted with one. It turned out to be useless. I like to use my
>> Henckels carving knife and fork. For some reason, she doesn't think that
>> set is appropriate.
>>

> I think those carving sets belong to an era where the meat was carved
> *at the table*. Is that where you carve, say, a roast? I carve (for
> example) standing rib roast on a cutting board in the kitchen, not at
> the table.

And why would YOU even bother to cook a standing rib roast? You eat 3-4
ounces of meat and a few brussel sprouts. (based on past posts and pics)

overkill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/21/2017 1:46 PM, Gary wrote:
> On 4/21/2017 12:19 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Most carving sets are useless. We were given a Gerber carving set when
>>> as a wedding present. It was useless. My wife thought I should have a
>>> nice stag handled carving set and was upset that I was not excited when
>>> I was gifted with one. It turned out to be useless. I like to use my
>>> Henckels carving knife and fork. For some reason, she doesn't think that
>>> set is appropriate.
>>>

>> I think those carving sets belong to an era where the meat was carved
>> *at the table*. Is that where you carve, say, a roast? I carve (for
>> example) standing rib roast on a cutting board in the kitchen, not at
>> the table.

> And why would YOU even bother to cook a standing rib roast? You eat 3-4
> ounces of meat and a few brussel sprouts. (based on past posts and pics)
>
> overkill.

Because I happen to *love* standing rib roast? Doesn't matter how much
I eat in one sitting. It's delicious. I cook it no more than medium
rare, lean towards rare. Reheats easily. Freezes easily and when
reheated is still not overcooked. Oh, and the bones make excellent beef
stock.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-21 12:19 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/21/2017 11:58 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2017-04-20 9:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm going to pout a bit. I don't have the carving set. But hey, I do
>>> have the cake server. Okay, I can cheer up a bit.

>> Most carving sets are useless. We were given a Gerber carving set when
>> as a wedding present. It was useless. My wife thought I should have a
>> nice stag handled carving set and was upset that I was not excited when
>> I was gifted with one. It turned out to be useless. I like to use my
>> Henckels carving knife and fork. For some reason, she doesn't think that
>> set is appropriate.
>>

> I think those carving sets belong to an era where the meat was carved
> *at the table*. Is that where you carve, say, a roast? I carve (for
> example) standing rib roast on a cutting board in the kitchen, not at
> the table.

We generally carve at the table. My Henckles carving knife does a much
better job of carving. IMO a fancy stag handle does not make it more
suitable for company.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/21/2017 4:34 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> I think those carving sets belong to an era where the meat was carved
>> *at the table*. Is that where you carve, say, a roast? I carve (for
>> example) standing rib roast on a cutting board in the kitchen, not at
>> the table.

> We generally carve at the table. My Henckles carving knife does a much
> better job of carving. IMO a fancy stag handle does not make it more
> suitable for company.

You see carving at the table on TV where day stands at the head and
makes it a big event.

I find it much easier to do in the kitchen where I have a cutting board
at the ready and a warm plate to put the meat on. This is especially
tru where it is best to cut off a large piece and then cut it to smaller
portions.

Years ago the was the "Beef & Beer" pub we went to at times. They had a
big steamship round and the carver wore his whites and the tall hat and
carved the meat for your sandwich. Nice show and really good beef too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-21 4:43 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 4/21/2017 4:34 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> We generally carve at the table. My Henckles carving knife does a much
>> better job of carving. IMO a fancy stag handle does not make it more
>> suitable for company.
>>

> You see carving at the table on TV where day stands at the head and
> makes it a big event.

It was never a big event in my family, or in my wife's. It was just the
way it was done. However, if we have a lot of people over I prefer to do
it in the kitchen. Aside from making things run more smoothly, I get to
eat relatively undisturbed. If you do it at the table you are just
starting to get yours at long last and it may be time to start serving
seconds.