skategoat25

Default 1981 Sterling cabernet sauvignon tasting notes?

Can someone help me out with a review or tasting notes on this wine?

I have a half a case that I'm planning to donate to a school auction and
would like to be able to accurately describe it. Also, what could I state
as a realistic value?

Thanks,

Henry

Mark Lipton

skategoat25 wrote:

> Can someone help me out with a review or tasting notes on this wine?

Alas, my subscription to CGCW lapsed during that period, but I can offer you
some general observations:

1. 1981 was a hot year that produced some good wines, but not ones that in
general were destined for long life.

2. Sterling was sold to Coca-Cola in 1978, and the quality of its wines
plunged shortly thereafter until (and after) its sale to Seagram's in 1983.

3. If it isn't the "Diamond Mountain" bottling, it is Sterling's lesser
bottling, intended more for near-term consumption.

Taken together, these factors indicate to me that, unless you have impeccable
storage conditions (and quite possibly not even then), this wine is probably
well over the hill. That doesn't make it undrinkable, but it's unlikely to
provide a lot of pleasure today. However, you should probably open a bottle
and check for yourself. Surprises do happen, after all, but I wouldn't bet
on it in this case.

> I have a half a case that I'm planning to donate to a school auction and
> would like to be able to accurately describe it. Also, what could I state
> as a realistic value?

A Michigan store is selling it for $78 per bottle. Is that a realistic
price? Not to me, it ain't. As the original selling price was probably
$14-15 per bottle, choose a number in between as its estimated value.

HTH
Mark Lipton

Tom S

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> 3. If it isn't the "Diamond Mountain" bottling, it is Sterling's lesser
> bottling, intended more for near-term consumption.

Hi, Mark -

Are you sure Sterling bottled a Cabernet designated Diamond Mountain in
those days? IIRC, it was either regular bottling or Sterling Reserve back
then. Some of the reserves were pretty stunning, and at 23 years they might
still be holding up.

Tom S

Mark Lipton

Tom S wrote:

> Are you sure Sterling bottled a Cabernet designated Diamond Mountain in
> those days? IIRC, it was either regular bottling or Sterling Reserve back
> then. Some of the reserves were pretty stunning, and at 23 years they might
> still be holding up.

Tom,
In 1982 they bottled a "Diamond Mountain," so while I am not
postitive, I think it highly likely that they did as well in 1981. As I
said, my records from that period are scant.

Mark Lipton
RobertsonChai

>Tom,
> In 1982 they bottled a "Diamond Mountain," so while I am not
>postitive, I think it highly likely that they did as well in 1981. As I
> said, my records from that period are scant.
>
>Mark Lipton

I worked for Sterling during that period. I think Mark Lipton may be right.

1982 was the transition of Sterling's corporate ownership from Coca-Cola to
Seagram.

One of the first acts of Seagram on the transfer was to promote Sterling's
individual vineyards (including the recently-purchased, legendary Winery Lake
Vineyard in Carneros). This took a lot away from the "regular blends".

Diamond Mountain was, as I recall, another Seagram invention, because Diamond
Mountain was originally, under Coke, to be the flagship "estate" vineyard.

It was torn out of a volcanic tufa hillside, in the most environmentally
abusive forest clear-cut of all time, in 1977. Twin D-77s yanked out 100 acres
of old-growth trees with a strong chain betweeen them. You didn't want to be
there, at the brush pile at the bottom of the hill!

You can still glimpse Diamond Mtn. Vineyard off Kortum Canyon Road in
Calistoga, and stare agape at the hubris of it all.

There was never a separate "cut" for Diamond Mtn., as I remember, at this time.

If this wine is of provenance 1981 "Estate" Cabernet, it is probably comprised
of Diamond Mtn., Peterson Ranch (also above Diamond Mtn.), Rutherford, Three
Palms, Calistoga and other ranches of the period.

Sterling Reserve was at that time (since when I worked with founding winemaker
Ric Forman and his successors), a selection of the best lots of all ranches,
regardless of pedigree. There WAS no pedigree, 'cept for Winery Lake, Martha's
Vineyard and Robert Young in Sonoma County, in all of the North Coast in the
1970s.

The essence of Sterling reserve was not simply the vineyard sourcing---it was
the technique of ageing the wines and following a strict Bordelais method in
racking and fining (a method I may add which, though copied from the Medoc, was
nevertheless adopted later by Phleps for Insignia, and later Opus One and
Dominus). Hell, under Ric Forman (pre-1979), we racked by candlelight!

Still, this does not answer the question of the longevity of this wine.

I will venture to say that the 1981 Napa Valley Cabernet has outlived the
Reserve.

I have examples of both in my cellar and could post a reply this weekend, when
I return from this trip to Paso Robles.

Why? I don't think the Reserve, which was manipulated several times (quarterly
rackings) in the cellar, was meant to be for longevity, no matter what the
Seagrams PR people said.

Sterling Reserve 1981 was an exquisite, soft-tannin fruit bomb, compared to the
more austere Napa Valley bottling.

Those who are still equating quality to longevity (for California at least),
need to re-examine their premises and their prejudices.

---Bob

HK

The bottle is a Sterling Reserve and I know for certain that it was
impeccably stored. Not wanting to give away a bottle of bad wine, I
opened one this past weekend. All I have to say is it was
outstanding. I guess I'm donating 5 bottles now instead of 6.

Thanks for the comments.
Tom S

"HK" > wrote in message
om...
> The bottle is a Sterling Reserve and I know for certain that it was
> impeccably stored. Not wanting to give away a bottle of bad wine, I
> opened one this past weekend. All I have to say is it was
> outstanding.

Are you Bordeauxphiles listening? See? California Cabernets _are_ capable
of aging gracefully! :^)

Tom S

Ge2933

Hey, I drank the 1981 Sterling Cabernet last July (2003). It was quite nice.
Purple with tinge of brown; slightly cloudy. Nose of cabernet and wood. Soft,
silky in the mouth; medium-bodied; little tannin remains; low acidity. Easily
recognizable as an aged cabernet. I liked it.>Can someone help me out with a
review or tasting notes on this wine?

Cabernet Sauvignon Retta Wine 0 02-07-2010 02:10 AM
TN Sterling Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 1975 cwdjrxyz Wine 2 17-04-2006 04:46 PM
90% Merlot & 10% Cabernet Sauvignon PATRICK.JOUVENEL Winemaking 0 05-04-2005 05:20 PM
90% Merlot & 10% Cabernet Sauvignon PATRICK.JOUVENEL Wine 0 05-04-2005 05:17 PM
Vintage Beer Tasting (no tasting notes, tho') [email protected] Beer 0 04-11-2004 07:21 PM