Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default [OT] new Cell phones & batteries

looking to buy my first Smart cell phone
[currently i just own a simple cell phone, no www]

i don't plan on using it that much,
and i see a few have replaceable batteries,
and was wondering if that would come in handy,
5 years from now if/when the battery dies

how long do these smart phones batteries last?
i assume they die eventually

thanks
marc
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04/08/2017 12:41 PM, wrote:
> looking to buy my first Smart cell phone
> [currently i just own a simple cell phone, no www]
>
> i don't plan on using it that much,
> and i see a few have replaceable batteries,
> and was wondering if that would come in handy,
> 5 years from now if/when the battery dies
>
> how long do these smart phones batteries last?
> i assume they die eventually
>
> thanks
> marc

I am not sure about the battery life, and don't know about getting
spares, but at a get-together I was at the other night, one of the
people had a great big recharging station for his phone.

I asked him what the point is in that, didn't that need to be plugged in
an recharged as well.

He responded that it was a much bigger battery, probably 5-10 times more
capacity than a typical cell phone battery.

It also had some solar panels on it, and thus if it could be kept in the
sunlight, it would not even need to be plugged in at all.

In terms of size, it was a bit bigger than a phone, but it was about the
same size as a Kindle (mine is about 7" by 4" or 17.5cm by 10cm), so i
guess it is not really "great big," just a bit larger than a cell phone.

--
My Yonkoma:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brian0...57680223526176

The E-mail associated with the account is a "spamcatcher" account that I
got to every couple of months to empty out, and anything sent to it will
not be seen for probably several months, if it is seen at all.
Brian Christiansen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 9:41:17 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> looking to buy my first Smart cell phone
> [currently i just own a simple cell phone, no www]
>
> i don't plan on using it that much,
> and i see a few have replaceable batteries,
> and was wondering if that would come in handy,
> 5 years from now if/when the battery dies
>
> how long do these smart phones batteries last?
> i assume they die eventually
>
> thanks
> marc

If you use it every day, the battery should last 2 years. By that time you might notice that it's not lasting as long. If you don't use it very much and don't charge it every day, it should last longer. If you're like me and tend to discharge the battery fully almost every day, it should last about 18 months or 500 full charge cycles. After that they tend to not take a full charge. When this happens, the battery will charge and discharge faster i..e., the capacity will shrink.

If you aren't going to use it much everyday, I recommend that you keep the battery topped up. Your battery will last considerably longer. All this refers to modern lithium ion batteries with modern charging system. The older batteries do not like to be treated this way. Welcome to the new world.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Sat 08 Apr 2017 06:32:56p, Nancy Young told us...

>> I just get a $100-$150 Samsung tracfone smart phone
>> and I'll use it until the battery dies and replace it.
>> I add minutes or data as I need it.
>>
>> https://www.hsn.com/products/samsung...b-tracfone-135
>> 0-minutes/8373394
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/ksbs4tn
>>
>> If you don't really intend to use it a lot, something like it
>> might suit you. In my (limited) experience, I worry less about
>> the battery dying than the OS version becoming out of date and
>> unsupported by apps.
>>

> David and I both resisted upgrading to smart phones until last Fall.
> We changed providers and decided to upgrade to an LG Spree for each
> of us. It certainly has enough capability for our meager needs and,
> so far, has worked flawlessly. The cost was only $39.95 each.

I really don't need much. I'll get the 16G next time. Does your
phone require a monthly fee? Curious.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

>Tracfone usually has a half-way decent smart phone for free when you
>just buy $20-$25 worth of buy airtime. Right now I have 2 free ZTE
>Paragons. When they offer a decent one I order 2 or 3 of them so I
>can have extra batteries to carry around (it's not like I have a car
>to plug in and recharge them). Total cost is about $7/month. Since I
>always need airtime, might as well get whatever free phone they're
>offering at the time even if you don't use it. I have 5 other smart
>phones of various makes/models that I've never even tuned on.
>
>I don't use/download a whole lot of apps, but I have never seen an app
>that requires an Android OS version above 4.4.2 (but I'm sure they
>exist).

All your smarts are in your phones! LOL

>ObFood: Liverwurst, Horsey Sauce(tm), and Giuliano's pickles on
>Chicken 'n Biscuit crackers.

I like good liverwurst but on pumpernickel with grainy mustard and
sliced onions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Apr 2017 23:36:10 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 02:14:05 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> David and I both resisted upgrading to smart phones until last Fall.
>> We changed providers and decided to upgrade to an LG Spree for each
>> of us. It certainly has enough capability for our meager needs and,
>> so far, has worked flawlessly. The cost was only $39.95 each.

>Tracfone usually has a half-way decent smart phone for free when you
>just buy $20-$25 worth of buy airtime. Right now I have 2 free ZTE
>Paragons. When they offer a decent one I order 2 or 3 of them so I
>can have extra batteries to carry around (it's not like I have a car
>to plug in and recharge them). Total cost is about $7/month. Since I
>always need airtime, might as well get whatever free phone they're
>offering at the time even if you don't use it. I have 5 other smart
>phones of various makes/models that I've never even tuned on.
>
>I don't use/download a whole lot of apps, but I have never seen an app
>that requires an Android OS version above 4.4.2 (but I'm sure they
>exist).
>
>ObFood: Liverwurst, Horsey Sauce(tm), and Giuliano's pickles on
>Chicken 'n Biscuit crackers.
>
>-sw

Once or twice a year, QVC runs a special for Tracfone. (I'm sure if
you watch the Tracfone site it is available there) For $99, I get a
brand new Samsung, one year of service, 1300 minutes of phone, data
and text each, call anywhere in U.S. and Mexico (that much I know of).
I need only buy more service minutes at the end of the year. My
unused minutes never expire but continue to roll forward. Since I am
mostly on wifi I don't use many minutes. At the end of the year, I
can buy another year's worth of minutes for $99 or I can purchase
lesser amounts. (or get a brand new phone and 1300 minutes for $99)
Time service and minutes amount is up to you. They have an excellent
web site, good customer service, you can update your minutes
automatically or from your phone. I hand off my old phone to my
husband and simply switch name on it via web site. I have all the
services and gizmos my friends and relatives do. $99 per year. It's
a no brainer to me.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/9/2017 7:15 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Apr 2017 23:36:10 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 02:14:05 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> David and I both resisted upgrading to smart phones until last Fall.
>>> We changed providers and decided to upgrade to an LG Spree for each
>>> of us. It certainly has enough capability for our meager needs and,
>>> so far, has worked flawlessly. The cost was only $39.95 each.

>> Tracfone usually has a half-way decent smart phone for free when you
>> just buy $20-$25 worth of buy airtime. Right now I have 2 free ZTE
>> Paragons. When they offer a decent one I order 2 or 3 of them so I
>> can have extra batteries to carry around (it's not like I have a car
>> to plug in and recharge them). Total cost is about $7/month. Since I
>> always need airtime, might as well get whatever free phone they're
>> offering at the time even if you don't use it. I have 5 other smart
>> phones of various makes/models that I've never even tuned on.
>>
>> I don't use/download a whole lot of apps, but I have never seen an app
>> that requires an Android OS version above 4.4.2 (but I'm sure they
>> exist).
>>
>> ObFood: Liverwurst, Horsey Sauce(tm), and Giuliano's pickles on
>> Chicken 'n Biscuit crackers.
>>
>> -sw

> Once or twice a year, QVC runs a special for Tracfone. (I'm sure if
> you watch the Tracfone site it is available there) For $99, I get a
> brand new Samsung, one year of service, 1300 minutes of phone, data
> and text each, call anywhere in U.S. and Mexico (that much I know of).
> I need only buy more service minutes at the end of the year. My
> unused minutes never expire but continue to roll forward. Since I am
> mostly on wifi I don't use many minutes. At the end of the year, I
> can buy another year's worth of minutes for $99 or I can purchase
> lesser amounts. (or get a brand new phone and 1300 minutes for $99)
> Time service and minutes amount is up to you. They have an excellent
> web site, good customer service, you can update your minutes
> automatically or from your phone. I hand off my old phone to my
> husband and simply switch name on it via web site. I have all the
> services and gizmos my friends and relatives do. $99 per year. It's
> a no brainer to me.
> Janet US

minutes of data? Minutes of text?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/9/2017 10:43 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

>> Un-replaceable batteries can be replaced but will cost about $60 at a
>> service center. Yes, after about 18 to 24 months you will see some
>> difference depending on use.
>>
>> I bought an LG phone because the battery could be replaced. After not
>> quite 2 years I went back to Samsung because the LG had other issues.
>> My wife's Samsung gets light use and any battery deterioration is not
>> noticeable after 3 years.
>>
>> IMO, it is not a big consideration and a Samsung S7 or new S8 is the way
>> to go.
>>

> What happens when you need to pull out the battery to do a real reset,
> if the batteries are not replaceable?

http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/support/skp/faq/401927
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/9/2017 12:36 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

> I don't use/download a whole lot of apps, but I have never seen an app
> that requires an Android OS version above 4.4.2 (but I'm sure they
> exist).

I started running into that with my wifi tablet so I know it's something
to consider.

I imagine most apps don't require anywhere near a recent version.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/9/2017 10:15 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> Once or twice a year, QVC runs a special for Tracfone. (I'm sure if
> you watch the Tracfone site it is available there) For $99, I get a
> brand new Samsung, one year of service, 1300 minutes of phone, data
> and text each, call anywhere in U.S. and Mexico (that much I know of).
> I need only buy more service minutes at the end of the year. My
> unused minutes never expire but continue to roll forward. Since I am
> mostly on wifi I don't use many minutes. At the end of the year, I
> can buy another year's worth of minutes for $99 or I can purchase
> lesser amounts.

It's triple minutes like mine, I'm sure.

Next time I'll get one with more storage but I get everything I
need on this phone. I know other people have more requirements that
means they'd want a better phone.

> (or get a brand new phone and 1300 minutes for $99)
> Time service and minutes amount is up to you. They have an excellent
> web site, good customer service, you can update your minutes
> automatically or from your phone. I hand off my old phone to my
> husband and simply switch name on it via web site. I have all the
> services and gizmos my friends and relatives do. $99 per year. It's
> a no brainer to me.

Ditto. I bought extra data because I expected to use that a lot on
vacation and other stuff I've been dealing with but I didn't really
need it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/9/2017 8:01 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 4/9/2017 10:43 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
>

>>> Un-replaceable batteries can be replaced but will cost about $60 at a
>>> service center. Yes, after about 18 to 24 months you will see some
>>> difference depending on use.
>>>
>>> I bought an LG phone because the battery could be replaced. After not
>>> quite 2 years I went back to Samsung because the LG had other issues.
>>> My wife's Samsung gets light use and any battery deterioration is not
>>> noticeable after 3 years.
>>>
>>> IMO, it is not a big consideration and a Samsung S7 or new S8 is the way
>>> to go.
>>>

>> What happens when you need to pull out the battery to do a real reset,
>> if the batteries are not replaceable?

> http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/support/skp/faq/401927

"Factory data reset allows users to delete all data stored in the mobile
device."

er, no thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 07:40:57 -0700, Taxed and Spent
> wrote:

>On 4/9/2017 7:15 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 8 Apr 2017 23:36:10 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> Tracfone usually has a half-way decent smart phone for free when you
>>> just buy $20-$25 worth of buy airtime. Right now I have 2 free ZTE
>>> Paragons. When they offer a decent one I order 2 or 3 of them so I
>>> can have extra batteries to carry around (it's not like I have a car
>>> to plug in and recharge them). Total cost is about $7/month. Since I
>>> always need airtime, might as well get whatever free phone they're
>>> offering at the time even if you don't use it. I have 5 other smart
>>> phones of various makes/models that I've never even tuned on.
>>>
>>> I don't use/download a whole lot of apps, but I have never seen an app
>>> that requires an Android OS version above 4.4.2 (but I'm sure they
>>> exist).
>>>
>>> ObFood: Liverwurst, Horsey Sauce(tm), and Giuliano's pickles on
>>> Chicken 'n Biscuit crackers.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Once or twice a year, QVC runs a special for Tracfone. (I'm sure if
>> you watch the Tracfone site it is available there) For $99, I get a
>> brand new Samsung, one year of service, 1300 minutes of phone, data
>> and text each, call anywhere in U.S. and Mexico (that much I know of).
>> I need only buy more service minutes at the end of the year. My
>> unused minutes never expire but continue to roll forward. Since I am
>> mostly on wifi I don't use many minutes. At the end of the year, I
>> can buy another year's worth of minutes for $99 or I can purchase
>> lesser amounts. (or get a brand new phone and 1300 minutes for $99)
>> Time service and minutes amount is up to you. They have an excellent
>> web site, good customer service, you can update your minutes
>> automatically or from your phone. I hand off my old phone to my
>> husband and simply switch name on it via web site. I have all the
>> services and gizmos my friends and relatives do. $99 per year. It's
>> a no brainer to me.
>> Janet US
>>

>minutes of data? Minutes of text?

Minutes used to transmit phone calls, texts and data each. What is
your question?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 11:12:03 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 4/9/2017 10:15 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> Once or twice a year, QVC runs a special for Tracfone. (I'm sure if
>> you watch the Tracfone site it is available there) For $99, I get a
>> brand new Samsung, one year of service, 1300 minutes of phone, data
>> and text each, call anywhere in U.S. and Mexico (that much I know of).
>> I need only buy more service minutes at the end of the year. My
>> unused minutes never expire but continue to roll forward. Since I am
>> mostly on wifi I don't use many minutes. At the end of the year, I
>> can buy another year's worth of minutes for $99 or I can purchase
>> lesser amounts.

>It's triple minutes like mine, I'm sure.
>
>Next time I'll get one with more storage but I get everything I
>need on this phone. I know other people have more requirements that
>means they'd want a better phone.
>
> > (or get a brand new phone and 1300 minutes for $99)
>> Time service and minutes amount is up to you. They have an excellent
>> web site, good customer service, you can update your minutes
>> automatically or from your phone. I hand off my old phone to my
>> husband and simply switch name on it via web site. I have all the
>> services and gizmos my friends and relatives do. $99 per year. It's
>> a no brainer to me.

>Ditto. I bought extra data because I expected to use that a lot on
>vacation and other stuff I've been dealing with but I didn't really
>need it.
>
>nancy

yes, I forgot. Every time I purchase minutes under this plan, I get
triple minutes. i.e., order 120 minutes, get 360 minutes for the same
prices as 120.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/9/2017 8:27 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 07:40:57 -0700, Taxed and Spent
> > wrote:
>
>> On 4/9/2017 7:15 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> Once or twice a year, QVC runs a special for Tracfone. (I'm sure if
>>> you watch the Tracfone site it is available there) For $99, I get a
>>> brand new Samsung, one year of service, 1300 minutes of phone, data
>>> and text each, call anywhere in U.S. and Mexico (that much I know of).
>>> I need only buy more service minutes at the end of the year. My
>>> unused minutes never expire but continue to roll forward. Since I am
>>> mostly on wifi I don't use many minutes. At the end of the year, I
>>> can buy another year's worth of minutes for $99 or I can purchase
>>> lesser amounts. (or get a brand new phone and 1300 minutes for $99)
>>> Time service and minutes amount is up to you. They have an excellent
>>> web site, good customer service, you can update your minutes
>>> automatically or from your phone. I hand off my old phone to my
>>> husband and simply switch name on it via web site. I have all the
>>> services and gizmos my friends and relatives do. $99 per year. It's
>>> a no brainer to me.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> minutes of data? Minutes of text?

> Minutes used to transmit phone calls, texts and data each. What is
> your question?
> Janet US

I have never seen a plan which speaks of minutes of texts or data, so I
have no idea how to compare the two. Do they say how many texts equal a
minute, how many minutes per GB?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-09, Nancy Young > wrote:

> the battery dying than the OS version becoming out of date and
> unsupported by apps.

I usta have a Tracfone, an LG cheapo. I later dumped my Tracfone
acct, but since the LG is wiki capable, I can still use it fer some
things (timer (mostly), calendar, browser, etc) on my home wiki
capable LAN.

I noticed an OS "update" alert, yesterday. I jes ignored it. If I
want an update, I'll ask for it! I also still receive amber alerts,
emegency weather alerts, etc, via my wiki (I'm assuming). I do NOT
see these alerts on my desktop comuter. So, yes, they (who's they
???) still have access to my allegedly defunt cell phone. Go figure.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 2:41:17 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> looking to buy my first Smart cell phone
> [currently i just own a simple cell phone, no www]
>
> i don't plan on using it that much,
> and i see a few have replaceable batteries,
> and was wondering if that would come in handy,
> 5 years from now if/when the battery dies
>
> how long do these smart phones batteries last?
> i assume they die eventually
>
> thanks
> marc

No such thing as a "smart phone" only stupidly expensive tracking devices disguised as telephones!!

And they have "bars of charge" just like MY LEAF!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/9/2017 9:00 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 10:43:54 AM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:

>>> Un-replaceable batteries can be replaced but will cost about $60 at a
>>> service center. Yes, after about 18 to 24 months you will see some
>>> difference depending on use.
>>>
>>> I bought an LG phone because the battery could be replaced. After not
>>> quite 2 years I went back to Samsung because the LG had other issues.
>>> My wife's Samsung gets light use and any battery deterioration is not
>>> noticeable after 3 years.
>>>
>>> IMO, it is not a big consideration and a Samsung S7 or new S8 is the way
>>> to go.
>>>

>> What happens when you need to pull out the battery to do a real reset,
>> if the batteries are not replaceable?

> Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
> I've had an iPhone for three years and it has never needed a "real reset".
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I know people with Iphones and Ipads that did.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 6:00:50 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 10:43:54 AM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:

> > > Un-replaceable batteries can be replaced but will cost about $60 at a
> > > service center. Yes, after about 18 to 24 months you will see some
> > > difference depending on use.
> > >
> > > I bought an LG phone because the battery could be replaced. After not
> > > quite 2 years I went back to Samsung because the LG had other issues.
> > > My wife's Samsung gets light use and any battery deterioration is not
> > > noticeable after 3 years.
> > >
> > > IMO, it is not a big consideration and a Samsung S7 or new S8 is the way
> > > to go.
> > >

> > What happens when you need to pull out the battery to do a real reset,
> > if the batteries are not replaceable?

> Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
> I've had an iPhone for three years and it has never needed a "real reset"..
>
> Cindy Hamilton

He probably means a hard boot. You might need to do this if your device locks up and becomes unresponsive. I think you hold the on button and the volume up buttons for a few seconds on an iOS device. This does not remove any programs or change settings.

You should do a factory reset to return a device to it's like new state if you transfer your device to another user. On an Android device that option is called a "factory reset" and it's a fairly simple procedure. On a Chromebook, it's called a "Powerwash." Doing a factory reset on a Windows machine is a little "involved."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 11:10:13 AM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 4/9/2017 9:00 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> What happens when you need to pull out the battery to do a real reset,
> >> if the batteries are not replaceable?

> > Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
> > I've had an iPhone for three years and it has never needed a "real reset".
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> I know people with Iphones and Ipads that did.

They are ALL expensive little SPY DEVICES!!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/9/2017 1:01 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> I didn't even know they had cell-phones with non-replaceable
> batteries. That would definitely would be a drawback for me since I
> carry around extra charged batteries.

When I used phones with replaceable batteries, that's what I did - now I
carry an external battery and short cord.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 12:57:09 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 6:00:50 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > What happens when you need to pull out the battery to do a real reset,
> > > if the batteries are not replaceable?

> > Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
> > I've had an iPhone for three years and it has never needed a "real reset".
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> He probably means a hard boot. You might need to do this if your device locks up and becomes unresponsive. I think you hold the on button and the volume up buttons for a few seconds on an iOS device. This does not remove any programs or change settings.
>
> You should do a factory reset to return a device to it's like new state if you transfer your device to another user. On an Android device that option is called a "factory reset" and it's a fairly simple procedure. On a Chromebook, it's called a "Powerwash." Doing a factory reset on a Windows machine is a little "involved."

We generally bandsaw the hard disk in half before sending a computer to
the recyclers.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 12:58:23 PM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 11:10:13 AM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:

> > > Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
> > > I've had an iPhone for three years and it has never needed a "real reset".
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton
> > >

> > I know people with Iphones and Ipads that did.

> They are ALL expensive little SPY DEVICES!!

Fine. We know that, and accept it. Time for a pill, John. Too
many words in all caps, too many exclamation points.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/9/2017 1:42 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> They are ALL expensive little SPY DEVICES!!

> Fine. We know that, and accept it. Time for a pill, John. Too
> many words in all caps, too many exclamation points.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Not so bad though. The NSA is making a movie of my life based on
information from my phone. Ninety minutes of a dull screen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 7:41:24 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 12:57:09 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> > > Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
> > > I've had an iPhone for three years and it has never needed a "real reset".
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > He probably means a hard boot. You might need to do this if your device locks up and becomes unresponsive. I think you hold the on button and the volume up buttons for a few seconds on an iOS device. This does not remove any programs or change settings.
> >
> > You should do a factory reset to return a device to it's like new state if you transfer your device to another user. On an Android device that option is called a "factory reset" and it's a fairly simple procedure. On a Chromebook, it's called a "Powerwash." Doing a factory reset on a Windows machine is a little "involved."

> We generally bandsaw the hard disk in half before sending a computer to
> the recyclers.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Hopefully, you remember to remove the hard drive first. I just remove the drive and dismantle it. I have a bunch of rare earth magnets on my refrigerator. They're fun! I can't say if sawing a drive in half is going to work on a SSD.

On a Chromebook, doing a powerwash should be OK for most people, since the drives are encrypted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 6:58:23 AM UTC-10, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 11:10:13 AM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:

> > > Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
> > > I've had an iPhone for three years and it has never needed a "real reset".
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton
> > >

> > I know people with Iphones and Ipads that did.

> They are ALL expensive little SPY DEVICES!!
>
> John Kuthe...

You got that right. At least they're not DEATH MACHINES that will kill 40,000 people and maim many more in the US yearly. My understanding is that you have 2 of these AWFUL DEVICES. GET RID OF THEM IMMEDIATELY!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 14:54:50 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 4/9/2017 1:42 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>

>>> They are ALL expensive little SPY DEVICES!!

>> Fine. We know that, and accept it. Time for a pill, John. Too
>> many words in all caps, too many exclamation points.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>Not so bad though. The NSA is making a movie of my life based on
>information from my phone. Ninety minutes of a dull screen.

I hope you demanded money for the rights to show the movie in china?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 4:43:54 AM UTC-10, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 4/8/2017 2:17 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > On 4/8/2017 3:41 PM, wrote:
> >> looking to buy my first Smart cell phone
> >> [currently i just own a simple cell phone, no www]
> >>
> >> i don't plan on using it that much,
> >> and i see a few have replaceable batteries,
> >> and was wondering if that would come in handy,
> >> 5 years from now if/when the battery dies
> >>
> >> how long do these smart phones batteries last?
> >> i assume they die eventually
> >>
> >> thanks
> >> marc
> >>

> > Un-replaceable batteries can be replaced but will cost about $60 at a
> > service center. Yes, after about 18 to 24 months you will see some
> > difference depending on use.
> >
> > I bought an LG phone because the battery could be replaced. After not
> > quite 2 years I went back to Samsung because the LG had other issues.
> > My wife's Samsung gets light use and any battery deterioration is not
> > noticeable after 3 years.
> >
> > IMO, it is not a big consideration and a Samsung S7 or new S8 is the way
> > to go.
> >

> What happens when you need to pull out the battery to do a real reset,
> if the batteries are not replaceable?

Most of the new premium phones do not have replaceable batteries. My guess is that having a removable door would make for a thicker phone. Thinness is trending. The batteries in these thin phones are used as a stiffening element by attaching the thin battery to the frame/board with tape. An electronic technician can still replace the battery. Removing the battery from the phone is a little scary. You have to pry it loose.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
> On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 10:43:54 AM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:

>>> Un-replaceable batteries can be replaced but will cost about $60 at a
>>> service center. Yes, after about 18 to 24 months you will see some
>>> difference depending on use.
>>>
>>> I bought an LG phone because the battery could be replaced. After not
>>> quite 2 years I went back to Samsung because the LG had other issues.
>>> My wife's Samsung gets light use and any battery deterioration is not
>>> noticeable after 3 years.
>>>
>>> IMO, it is not a big consideration and a Samsung S7 or new S8 is the way
>>> to go.
>>>

>> What happens when you need to pull out the battery to do a real reset,
>> if the batteries are not replaceable?

> Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
> I've had an iPhone for three years and it has never needed a "real reset".
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I sometimes just power off/on to resolve issue, like the dam thing hates to
look for a cell tower in remote area, after it looses reception for a bit.
Really smart.

Greg