Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cabbage Cores, Ugly Tomatoes, and Trash Fish: Coming Soon to a Restaurant Near You

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/cons...t-near-n725386
I see no issue with paying regular top price for "waste food " at the
restaurant of your choice. If you normally would pay $X for a fish
dinner, what difference does it make if the fish is ugly. The same
amount of time, resources and skill went into preparing it.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 11:26:58 AM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> http://www.nbcnews.com/business/cons...t-near-n725386
> I see no issue with paying regular top price for "waste food " at the
> restaurant of your choice. If you normally would pay $X for a fish
> dinner, what difference does it make if the fish is ugly. The same
> amount of time, resources and skill went into preparing it.
> Janet US

They're already selling Basa in many restaurants, and in many carts in the UK selling fish and chips. Little do the patrons realize that it's a Vietnamese catfish from the fish farms in the Mekong delta. You want a garbage fish this is a prime example.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 12:48:42 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 11:26:58 AM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > http://www.nbcnews.com/business/cons...t-near-n725386
> > I see no issue with paying regular top price for "waste food " at the
> > restaurant of your choice. If you normally would pay $X for a fish
> > dinner, what difference does it make if the fish is ugly. The same
> > amount of time, resources and skill went into preparing it.
> > Janet US

> They're already selling Basa in many restaurants, and in many carts in the UK selling fish and chips. Little do the patrons realize that it's a Vietnamese catfish from the fish farms in the Mekong delta. You want a garbage fish this is a prime example.

What the heck is so wrong with utilizing fish that is eminently sustainable? Sounds brilliant to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 7:09:45 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 12:48:42 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> > On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 11:26:58 AM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > > http://www.nbcnews.com/business/cons...t-near-n725386
> > > I see no issue with paying regular top price for "waste food " at the
> > > restaurant of your choice. If you normally would pay $X for a fish
> > > dinner, what difference does it make if the fish is ugly. The same
> > > amount of time, resources and skill went into preparing it.
> > > Janet US

> > They're already selling Basa in many restaurants, and in many carts in the UK selling fish and chips. Little do the patrons realize that it's a Vietnamese catfish from the fish farms in the Mekong delta. You want a garbage fish this is a prime example.

> What the heck is so wrong with utilizing fish that is eminently sustainable? Sounds brilliant to me.

Water quality in the Mekong delta. Pretty polluted.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 03:30:22 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 7:09:45 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>> >

>> > They're already selling Basa in many restaurants, and in many carts in the UK selling fish and chips. Little do the patrons realize that it's a Vietnamese catfish from the fish farms in the Mekong delta. You want a garbage fish this is a prime example.

>> What the heck is so wrong with utilizing fish that is eminently sustainable? Sounds brilliant to me.

>Water quality in the Mekong delta. Pretty polluted.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

There are other (ugly) fish in the sea. The point was that wonderful
food can be made from not-so-attractive edibles and parts that we
would normally think of being throw away.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 7:09:45 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> > >

> > > They're already selling Basa in many restaurants, and in many carts in the UK selling fish and chips. Little do the patrons realize that it's a Vietnamese catfish from the fish farms in the Mekong delta. You want a garbage fish this is a prime example.

> > What the heck is so wrong with utilizing fish that is eminently sustainable? Sounds brilliant to me.

> Water quality in the Mekong delta. Pretty polluted.

Yup, the fish's diet consists mainly of raw human sewage...peeps living along and *on* the Mekong don't have flush toilets, their "effluent" goes straight into the river...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B. wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 03:30:22 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> > wrote:

> >> What the heck is so wrong with utilizing fish that is eminently sustainable? Sounds brilliant to me.

> >Water quality in the Mekong delta. Pretty polluted.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> There are other (ugly) fish in the sea. The point was that wonderful
> food can be made from not-so-attractive edibles and parts that we
> would normally think of being throw away.

Think "monkfish"...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 06:49:16 -0700 (PDT), "The Greatest!"
> wrote:

>Janet B. wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 03:30:22 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

>> > wrote:

>> >Water quality in the Mekong delta. Pretty polluted.
>> >
>> >Cindy Hamilton

>> There are other (ugly) fish in the sea. The point was that wonderful
>> food can be made from not-so-attractive edibles and parts that we
>> would normally think of being throw away.

>Think "monkfish"...

why are we thinking only of fish?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 06:49:16 -0700 (PDT), "The Greatest!"
> wrote:

>Janet B. wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 03:30:22 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

>> > wrote:

>> >Water quality in the Mekong delta. Pretty polluted.
>> >
>> >Cindy Hamilton

>> There are other (ugly) fish in the sea. The point was that wonderful
>> food can be made from not-so-attractive edibles and parts that we
>> would normally think of being throw away.

>Think "monkfish"...

The monk fish is a good looker compared to the Wolf Eel fish. The
Chinese call it the Old Man fish because it is so bad tempered and a
hazard to the careless diver. I once came round a rock here and
found a wolf eel there that was pretty much my size. Very good
eating though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_eel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 06:49:16 -0700 (PDT), "The Greatest!"
> > wrote:
>
> >Janet B. wrote:
> >
> >> On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 03:30:22 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> >> There are other (ugly) fish in the sea. The point was that wonderful
> >> food can be made from not-so-attractive edibles and parts that we
> >> would normally think of being throw away.

> >Think "monkfish"...

> why are we thinking only of fish?

I am in a giddy "piscine" mood I guess...

;-P

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 12:30:29 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 7:09:45 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> > >

> > > They're already selling Basa in many restaurants, and in many carts in the UK selling fish and chips. Little do the patrons realize that it's a Vietnamese catfish from the fish farms in the Mekong delta. You want a garbage fish this is a prime example.

> > What the heck is so wrong with utilizing fish that is eminently sustainable? Sounds brilliant to me.

> Water quality in the Mekong delta. Pretty polluted.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I wouldn't want to go swimming in most US rivers either. The only thing I know is that it doesn't have that bottom-feeding, scummy, taste that catfish has. Catfish meat is great stuff except for the taste. The second only thing that I know is that it hasn't killed me yet. That's good eats in my book..

In the new world we're going to need fish species that are prolifically sustainable to give some help to species that we're harvesting way too fast. If we're not going to stop eating fish, this is a good alternative. It's also a very easy fish to process. As far as meat goes, it's the closest thing we got to a shmoo in the real world.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message news:83538062-6d0a-48e9-acbb-

I wouldn't want to go swimming in most US rivers either. The only thing I
know is that it doesn't have that bottom-feeding, scummy, taste that catfish
has. Catfish meat is great stuff except for the taste. The second only thing
that I know is that it hasn't killed me yet. That's good eats in my book.
=======

A catfish is what put me off a lot of river fish. we used to fish for them
just about every night in the Sacramento River using clams for bait, caught
a fairly large one one evening and when it was cut open to clean, it was the
worst smelling thing I had ever smelled up to that point, absolutely
nauseating smell that I hope never to smell again. No more catfish for me,
and many other fish types too. DH is a fisherman so he eats all of his
catches, not me.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 8:49:47 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi10yahoo.com> wrote in message news:83538062-6d0a-48e9-acbb-
>
> I wouldn't want to go swimming in most US rivers either. The only thing I
> know is that it doesn't have that bottom-feeding, scummy, taste that catfish
> has. Catfish meat is great stuff except for the taste. The second only thing
> that I know is that it hasn't killed me yet. That's good eats in my book.
> =======
>
> A catfish is what put me off a lot of river fish. we used to fish for them
> just about every night in the Sacramento River using clams for bait, caught
> a fairly large one one evening and when it was cut open to clean, it was the
> worst smelling thing I had ever smelled up to that point, absolutely
> nauseating smell that I hope never to smell again. No more catfish for me,
> and many other fish types too. DH is a fisherman so he eats all of his
> catches, not me.
>
> Cheri

Catfish is very easy to filet - once you skin 'em. They're really beautiful pieces of meat too. It cooks up great. The taste made me gag though. My guess is that some (lucky) people are not able to taste that flavor component.. Tilapia has that taste too. My understanding is that tilapia raised in salt water will taste fine. Well, lets start doing that then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 10:37:23 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 12:30:29 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> > What the heck is so wrong with utilizing fish that is eminently sustainable? Sounds brilliant to me.

>> Water quality in the Mekong delta. Pretty polluted.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>I wouldn't want to go swimming in most US rivers either. The only thing I know is that it doesn't have that bottom-feeding, scummy, taste that catfish has. Catfish meat is great stuff except for the taste. The second only thing that I know is that it hasn't killed me yet. That's good eats in my book.
>
>In the new world we're going to need fish species that are prolifically sustainable to give some help to species that we're harvesting way too fast. If we're not going to stop eating fish, this is a good alternative. It's also a very easy fish to process. As far as meat goes, it's the closest thing we got to a shmoo in the real world.

IMO any fish that comes from sluggish waters tastes bad. I love
farmed catfish.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 9:14:01 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 10:37:23 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi10yahoo.com>
> wrote:

> >> Water quality in the Mekong delta. Pretty polluted.
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton

> >I wouldn't want to go swimming in most US rivers either. The only thing I know is that it doesn't have that bottom-feeding, scummy, taste that catfish has. Catfish meat is great stuff except for the taste. The second only thing that I know is that it hasn't killed me yet. That's good eats in my book.
> >
> >In the new world we're going to need fish species that are prolifically sustainable to give some help to species that we're harvesting way too fast.. If we're not going to stop eating fish, this is a good alternative. It's also a very easy fish to process. As far as meat goes, it's the closest thing we got to a shmoo in the real world.

> IMO any fish that comes from sluggish waters tastes bad. I love
> farmed catfish.
> Janet US

I can't disagree with that.

http://www.thefishsite.com/fishnews/...eloped-at-umt/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/14/2017 3:05 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>> A catfish is what put me off a lot of river fish. we used to fish for them
>> just about every night in the Sacramento River using clams for bait, caught
>> a fairly large one one evening and when it was cut open to clean, it was the
>> worst smelling thing I had ever smelled up to that point, absolutely
>> nauseating smell that I hope never to smell again. No more catfish for me,
>> and many other fish types too. DH is a fisherman so he eats all of his
>> catches, not me.
>>
>> Cheri

> Catfish is very easy to filet - once you skin 'em. They're really beautiful pieces of meat too. It cooks up great. The taste made me gag though. My guess is that some (lucky) people are not able to taste that flavor component. Tilapia has that taste too. My understanding is that tilapia raised in salt water will taste fine. Well, lets start doing that then.

I've had farmed catfish and it was OK. Not my first choice, but if
served, I'll eat it. Tilapia eats crap too so I avoid it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 03:30:22 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Water quality in the Mekong delta. Pretty polluted.

Pollution in the Mississippi delta is worse than in the Mekong's and
Ganges (Sunderbans delta). So why pay the premium for muddy-tasting
American catfish when imported basa tastes better for half the price?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 4:19:48 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 03:30:22 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > Water quality in the Mekong delta. Pretty polluted.

> Pollution in the Mississippi delta is worse than in the Mekong's and
> Ganges (Sunderbans delta). So why pay the premium for muddy-tasting
> American catfish when imported basa tastes better for half the price?
>
> -sw

I don't eat any freshwater fish. They all, always, taste like mud
to me.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> I've had farmed catfish and it was OK. Not my first choice, but if
> served, I'll eat it. Tilapia eats crap too so I avoid it.

I don't eat Tilapia either, I leave it to those who like it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

> I don't eat any freshwater fish. They all, always, taste like mud
> to me.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

That's where I'm at, bad tasting to me.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 10:13:56 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/14/2017 3:05 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
> >> A catfish is what put me off a lot of river fish. we used to fish for them
> >> just about every night in the Sacramento River using clams for bait, caught
> >> a fairly large one one evening and when it was cut open to clean, it was the
> >> worst smelling thing I had ever smelled up to that point, absolutely
> >> nauseating smell that I hope never to smell again. No more catfish for me,
> >> and many other fish types too. DH is a fisherman so he eats all of his
> >> catches, not me.
> >>
> >> Cheri

> > Catfish is very easy to filet - once you skin 'em. They're really beautiful pieces of meat too. It cooks up great. The taste made me gag though. My guess is that some (lucky) people are not able to taste that flavor component. Tilapia has that taste too. My understanding is that tilapia raised in salt water will taste fine. Well, lets start doing that then.
> >

> I've had farmed catfish and it was OK. Not my first choice, but if
> served, I'll eat it. Tilapia eats crap too so I avoid it.

The fish most people here was eating with was mahimahi. Those days are long gone. Soon there will be no ahi. That's the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-03-14 4:43 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 4:19:48 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 03:30:22 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>>> Water quality in the Mekong delta. Pretty polluted.

>> Pollution in the Mississippi delta is worse than in the Mekong's and
>> Ganges (Sunderbans delta). So why pay the premium for muddy-tasting
>> American catfish when imported basa tastes better for half the price?
>>
>> -sw

> I don't eat any freshwater fish. They all, always, taste like mud
> to me.

The perch out of Lake Erie is delicious. I find trout from warm water
tastes muddy, but cold water fish is good. I am not a fan of catfish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 13:43:38 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 4:19:48 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 03:30:22 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> > Water quality in the Mekong delta. Pretty polluted.

>> Pollution in the Mississippi delta is worse than in the Mekong's and
>> Ganges (Sunderbans delta). So why pay the premium for muddy-tasting
>> American catfish when imported basa tastes better for half the price?
>>
>> -sw

>I don't eat any freshwater fish. They all, always, taste like mud
>to me.

When's the last time you had freshwater fish?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 13:52:54 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
>
>> I don't eat any freshwater fish. They all, always, taste like mud
>> to me.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>That's where I'm at, bad tasting to me.

We get it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-03-14 2:43 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 4:19:48 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 03:30:22 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>>> Water quality in the Mekong delta. Pretty polluted.

>> Pollution in the Mississippi delta is worse than in the Mekong's and
>> Ganges (Sunderbans delta). So why pay the premium for muddy-tasting
>> American catfish when imported basa tastes better for half the price?
>>
>> -sw

> I don't eat any freshwater fish. They all, always, taste like mud
> to me.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I've had cuisses de grenouilles that left a muddy taste in my mouth for
a couple of days but others that really did seem like chicken!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 4:19:48 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 03:30:22 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>>> Water quality in the Mekong delta. Pretty polluted.

>> Pollution in the Mississippi delta is worse than in the Mekong's and
>> Ganges (Sunderbans delta). So why pay the premium for muddy-tasting
>> American catfish when imported basa tastes better for half the price?
>>
>> -sw

> I don't eat any freshwater fish. They all, always, taste like mud
> to me.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Even walleye? I refuse to eat catfish or tilapia because they taste muddy
to me, but I've never found that to be true for walleye.

--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 6:11:57 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 13:43:38 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> Pollution in the Mississippi delta is worse than in the Mekong's and
> >> Ganges (Sunderbans delta). So why pay the premium for muddy-tasting
> >> American catfish when imported basa tastes better for half the price?
> >>
> >> -sw

> >I don't eat any freshwater fish. They all, always, taste like mud
> >to me.

> When's the last time you had freshwater fish?

Can't recall. I live in Michigan. There's abundant freshwater fish
from warm(ish) and cold waters.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 1:34:57 AM UTC-4, Jinx the Minx wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> >> Pollution in the Mississippi delta is worse than in the Mekong's and
> >> Ganges (Sunderbans delta). So why pay the premium for muddy-tasting
> >> American catfish when imported basa tastes better for half the price?
> >>
> >> -sw

> > I don't eat any freshwater fish. They all, always, taste like mud
> > to me.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Even walleye? I refuse to eat catfish or tilapia because they taste muddy
> to me, but I've never found that to be true for walleye.

I don't know if I've ever had walleye. I've had lake perch, whitefish,
smelt, trout, maybe some others. I've enjoyed some freshwater fish
hot-smoked, which pretty much obliterates the flavor.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-03-15 6:30 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 1:34:57 AM UTC-4, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

>>> I don't eat any freshwater fish. They all, always, taste like mud
>>> to me.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Even walleye? I refuse to eat catfish or tilapia because they taste muddy
>> to me, but I've never found that to be true for walleye.

> I don't know if I've ever had walleye. I've had lake perch, whitefish,
> smelt, trout, maybe some others. I've enjoyed some freshwater fish
> hot-smoked, which pretty much obliterates the flavor.

FWIW, around here, walleye is pronounced pickerel. It is quite good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-03-15, jinx the minx > wrote:

> I refuse to eat catfish or tilapia because they taste muddy
> to me.....

I see this sentiment, often. Perhaps that is the reason most catfish
are breaded and deep fried.

I've tasted this "muddy" flavor, in non-breaded/fried catfish, but
never when I deep fry my catfish. I don't know if it's the seasoning
in the breading or jes the cooking method, but I'll wolf down
breaded/fried catfish, any time.

Nothing I've tried helps talapia. Basically, talapia is jes a crappy
fish. 8|

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-03-15 10:36 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-03-15, jinx the minx > wrote:
>
>> I refuse to eat catfish or tilapia because they taste muddy
>> to me.....

> I see this sentiment, often. Perhaps that is the reason most catfish
> are breaded and deep fried.
>
> I've tasted this "muddy" flavor, in non-breaded/fried catfish, but
> never when I deep fry my catfish. I don't know if it's the seasoning
> in the breading or jes the cooking method, but I'll wolf down
> breaded/fried catfish, any time.
>
> Nothing I've tried helps talapia. Basically, talapia is jes a crappy
> fish. 8|

Last summer we went to a Mexican restaurant and I wanted to go for the
healthier option of the fish dish. I had reservations about the fish
being talapia. I went ahead and ordered it. I can't say that it was
disappointing because it was talapia, and it was just as bad as I feared
it would be.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 01:38:36 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 13:43:38 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Pollution in the Mississippi delta is worse than in the Mekong's and
>>> Ganges (Sunderbans delta). So why pay the premium for muddy-tasting
>>> American catfish when imported basa tastes better for half the price?

>> I don't eat any freshwater fish. They all, always, taste like mud
>> to me.

>American catfish is the only fish that tastes muddy to me. Trout and
>steelhead, basa, and tilapia not at all. Can't think of any other
>freshwater fish (or crustacean) I eat, except a goldfish on a dare.
>
>-sw

I grew up in Wisconsin. I've had muddy tasting fresh water fish and
fish that didn't taste muddy. I now live out in the mountain west.
I've had muddy, fishy tasting fish from mountain lakes and some that
didn't taste that way. My go-to safe choices for tasty fish are farm
raised catfish.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 6:11:57 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 13:43:38 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> > >I don't eat any freshwater fish. They all, always, taste like mud
> > >to me.

> > When's the last time you had freshwater fish?

> Can't recall. I live in Michigan. There's abundant freshwater fish
> from warm(ish) and cold waters.

Have you ever attended a "fish boil"? It's a Wisconsin (Door County) thang, maybe you've encountered them in Michigan.

As for catfish, I remember muddy catfish from my childhood, catfish was a staple along the Mississippi and it's tributaries. Now, catfish is farm - raised, and thus has a "cleaner" taste. But a lot of this farmed catfish is now I understand from Asia, sooooo...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-03-15 1:19 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 01:38:36 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:

>>> I don't eat any freshwater fish. They all, always, taste like mud
>>> to me.

>> American catfish is the only fish that tastes muddy to me. Trout and
>> steelhead, basa, and tilapia not at all. Can't think of any other
>> freshwater fish (or crustacean) I eat, except a goldfish on a dare.
>>
>> -sw

> I grew up in Wisconsin. I've had muddy tasting fresh water fish and
> fish that didn't taste muddy. I now live out in the mountain west.
> I've had muddy, fishy tasting fish from mountain lakes and some that
> didn't taste that way. My go-to safe choices for tasty fish are farm
> raised catfish.

He get rainbow trout or steelhead a couple times a month. It never
tastes muddy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-03-15, Dave Smith > wrote:

> He get rainbow trout or steelhead a couple times a month. It never
> tastes muddy.

You've obviously never had hatchery-raised rainbow trout. They taste
muddy. Even hatchery-raised trout put into a high mountain stream
will taste muddy fer a couple weeks. Then they begin to clean up.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-03-15 2:31 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-03-15, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> He get rainbow trout or steelhead a couple times a month. It never
>> tastes muddy.

> You've obviously never had hatchery-raised rainbow trout. They taste
> muddy. Even hatchery-raised trout put into a high mountain stream
> will taste muddy fer a couple weeks. Then they begin to clean up.

What is obvious about that? The rainbow and steelhead that he get is
delicious and not at all muddy tasting. I remember many years ago there
used to be small whole rainbow trout from Idaho. That stuff tended to be
muddy tasting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 1:31:49 PM UTC-4, The Greatest! wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 6:11:57 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> > > On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 13:43:38 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> > > When's the last time you had freshwater fish?

> > Can't recall. I live in Michigan. There's abundant freshwater fish
> > from warm(ish) and cold waters.

> Have you ever attended a "fish boil"? It's a Wisconsin (Door County) thang, maybe you've encountered them in Michigan.

Nope. I'm a city girl, from the land of the Coney Dog. Nowadays, I prefer
my fish barely cooked (if at all). That's another reason for me to shy
away from freshwater fish: they have a lot more parasites that can harm me..

> As for catfish, I remember muddy catfish from my childhood, catfish was a staple along the Mississippi and it's tributaries. Now, catfish is farm - raised, and thus has a "cleaner" taste. But a lot of this farmed catfish is now I understand from Asia, sooooo...

Must be like tasting cilantro. If you're a mud-taster, no freshwater
fish will be good. The last catfish I had was in Thibodeaux, LA, in
1989, in a restaurant. I had a head cold, and it still tasted like
I was eating mud.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 03:24:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 6:11:57 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 13:43:38 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >I don't eat any freshwater fish. They all, always, taste like mud
>> >to me.

>> When's the last time you had freshwater fish?

>Can't recall. I live in Michigan. There's abundant freshwater fish
>from warm(ish) and cold waters.

The only muddy fish I've ever had, was self caught from still water.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 13:37:51 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-03-15 1:19 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 01:38:36 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> American catfish is the only fish that tastes muddy to me. Trout and
>>> steelhead, basa, and tilapia not at all. Can't think of any other
>>> freshwater fish (or crustacean) I eat, except a goldfish on a dare.
>>>

>> I grew up in Wisconsin. I've had muddy tasting fresh water fish and
>> fish that didn't taste muddy. I now live out in the mountain west.
>> I've had muddy, fishy tasting fish from mountain lakes and some that
>> didn't taste that way. My go-to safe choices for tasty fish are farm
>> raised catfish.

>He get rainbow trout or steelhead a couple times a month. It never
>tastes muddy.

I once caught a few catfish from the creek that runs through our
property. They tasted very clean. I guess because it's running water.
These days, I leave those fish in peace.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 10:13:56 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/14/2017 3:05 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
> >> A catfish is what put me off a lot of river fish. we used to fish for them
> >> just about every night in the Sacramento River using clams for bait, caught
> >> a fairly large one one evening and when it was cut open to clean, it was the
> >> worst smelling thing I had ever smelled up to that point, absolutely
> >> nauseating smell that I hope never to smell again. No more catfish for me,
> >> and many other fish types too. DH is a fisherman so he eats all of his
> >> catches, not me.
> >>
> >> Cheri

> > Catfish is very easy to filet - once you skin 'em. They're really beautiful pieces of meat too. It cooks up great. The taste made me gag though. My guess is that some (lucky) people are not able to taste that flavor component. Tilapia has that taste too. My understanding is that tilapia raised in salt water will taste fine. Well, lets start doing that then.
> >

> I've had farmed catfish and it was OK. Not my first choice, but if
> served, I'll eat it. Tilapia eats crap too so I avoid it.

We actually hate tilapia in Hawaii but the times they are a changin.

http://www.feedingmyohana.com/blog/t...or-switch-fish