Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grahams seafood lasagne

Grahams Seafood Lasagne
250g raw prawns
250g scallops
500g lemon sole fillets
2 shallots
30g butter
60ml white wine
15ml vegetable oil
250g fresh or dried lasagne noodles
90g Gruyere cheese
Salt, pepper

For the Sauce
small onion
500 ml milk
1 Bay leaf
6 peppercorns
500g plum tomatoes
175 g mushrooms
30g butter
30g plain flour
150ml double cream
6-8 sprigs fresh basil and parsley
1.25ml crushed chillies, more to taste

Prepare the seafood, shell shrimp if need be. Rinse scallops with
cold water, drain and pat them dry with paper towels. Cut very large
scallops in half. Cut the sole fillets into several pieces.

Peel the shallots and separate into sections if necessary. Slice
horizontally towards the root, leaving the slices attached at the
root. Slice vertically, again leaving the root end uncut, then cut
across the shallot to make fine dice.
Heat the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the chopped shallots and
sauté stirring, until soft but not brown, 1-2 minutes. Add the prawns
and scallops and season with salt and pepper.
Cook over medium heat until the prawns turn pink and the scallops
become opaque, 2-3 minutes. Add the white wine and bring just to
boil.
Remove the pan from the heat. With a slotted spoon lift out the prawns
and scallops and reserve them Set the cooking liquid aside.
Making the sauce
Peel and quarter the onion. In a saucepan, combine the onion, bay
leaf, milk and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, then cover and keep in a
warm place, 10 minutes. Meanwhile, peel, deseed, and chop the
tomatoes. Wipe the mushroom caps with damp paper towel and trim the
stalks even with the caps. Set the mushrooms stalk-side down on the
chopping board and slice them. Add the sliced mushrooms to the
reserved prawn and scallop cooking liquid and simmer 2 minutes. Set
aside.
Melt the butter in another saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the
flour and cook until foaming, 30-60 seconds. Take the pan from the
heat; let cool slightly, then strain in the milk. Whisk to mix.
Return to the heat and cook, whisking constantly until the sauce boils
and thickens, 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and simmer
about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

Pour the double cream into the white sauce and then whisk vigorously
to mix. Strip the parsley and basil leaves from the stalks and
coarsely chop. Stir the herbs into the sauce with the crushed
chillies, salt and pepper. Set the sauce aside.
Peel and chop the tomatoes (or use canned chopped).

Fill a shallow saucepan with water, bring to a boil and add the oil
and 15ml salt. Add noodles one by one and simmer until just tender
3-5 mins for fresh 8-10 for dried.

Heat the oven to 180/350 degrees. Butter the baking dish. Ladle one
quarter of the sauce over the bottom of the prepared dish and arrange
half of the prawns and scallops on top.

Cover the sauce and prawn mix with a layer of noodles. Put the fish
pieces in one layer on top of the lasagne. Coat the fish with one
third of the remaining sauce and cover with lasagne noodles.
Add the rest of the prawns and scallops followed by half of the
remaining sauce, then cover with the remaining lasagne noodles. Ladle
the remaining sauce evenly over the top. Sprinkle with gruyere.

Bake lasagne in the oven until bubbling and golden brown on top, 30-45
minutes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/12/2016 7:13 AM, wrote:
> [...]
> Peel and chop the tomatoes (or use canned chopped).
>
> Fill a shallow saucepan with water, bring to a boil and add the oil
> and 15ml salt. Add noodles one by one and simmer until just tender
> 3-5 mins for fresh 8-10 for dried.
>
> Heat the oven to 180/350 degrees. Butter the baking dish. Ladle one
> quarter of the sauce over the bottom of the prepared dish and arrange
> half of the prawns and scallops on top.
>
> Cover the sauce and prawn mix with a layer of noodles. Put the fish
> pieces in one layer on top of the lasagne. Coat the fish with one
> third of the remaining sauce and cover with lasagne noodles.
> Add the rest of the prawns and scallops followed by half of the
> remaining sauce, then cover with the remaining lasagne noodles. Ladle
> the remaining sauce evenly over the top. Sprinkle with gruyere.
>
> Bake lasagne in the oven until bubbling and golden brown on top, 30-45

Many thanks for all that trouble, L!
Instead of going to all the trouble of skinning tomatoes, use a large
can. Also, make double the amount of sauce, there is never enough:-)

Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-12-12, graham > wrote:
> On 12/12/2016 7:13 AM, wrote:

>> 250g raw prawns
>> 250g scallops
>> 500g lemon sole fillets

>> 90g Gruyere cheese

OMG! Fish and cheese ....together!!

Throw it out.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12 Dec 2016 14:53:59 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2016-12-12, graham > wrote:
>> On 12/12/2016 7:13 AM, wrote:

>>> 250g raw prawns
>>> 250g scallops
>>> 500g lemon sole fillets

>>> 90g Gruyere cheese

>OMG! Fish and cheese ....together!!
>
>Throw it out.
>
>nb

Well make sure it lands on my plate

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On 12 Dec 2016 14:53:59 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>>OMG! Fish and cheese ....together!!
>>
>>Throw it out.
>>
>>nb

> Well make sure it lands on my plate

With the overspill on mine.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/12/2016 7:53 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2016-12-12, graham > wrote:
>> On 12/12/2016 7:13 AM, wrote:

>>> 250g raw prawns
>>> 250g scallops
>>> 500g lemon sole fillets

>>> 90g Gruyere cheese

> OMG! Fish and cheese ....together!!
>
> Throw it out.
>
> nb

Don't knock it until you've tried it!!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/12/2016 12:46 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> OMG! Fish and cheese ....together!!
>>>
>>> Throw it out.
>>>
>>> nb
>>>

>> Don't knock it until you've tried it!!!!!

> (snippage)
>
> You know who this is referring to, right? Someone here has claimed for
> years seafood and cheese are TIAD. Fact of the matter is he does not
> really like seafood so the point is moot.
>
> Jill

He's not the only one. A few of my wife's Italian side of the family
would not eat it either. But they will drink red wine with seafood.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/12/2016 7:44 AM, graham wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Heat the oven to 180/350 degrees. Butter the baking dish. Ladle one
>> quarter of the sauce over the bottom of the prepared dish and arrange
>> half of the prawns and scallops on top.
>>
>> Cover the sauce and prawn mix with a layer of noodles. Put the fish
>> pieces in one layer on top of the lasagne. Coat the fish with one
>> third of the remaining sauce and cover with lasagne noodles.
>> Add the rest of the prawns and scallops followed by half of the
>> remaining sauce, then cover with the remaining lasagne noodles. Ladle
>> the remaining sauce evenly over the top. Sprinkle with gruyere.
>>
>> Bake lasagne in the oven until bubbling and golden brown on top, 30-45
>> minutes.
>>

> Many thanks for all that trouble, L!
> Instead of going to all the trouble of skinning tomatoes, use a large
> can. Also, make double the amount of sauce, there is never enough:-)

Oh, and I use instant, "no need to pre-cook" lasagne sheets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...
> Subject: Grahams seafood lasagne

Thankyou Lucretia and Graham.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message ...

[...]

============

Thanks)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/12/2016 7:13 AM, wrote:
> [...]
> Peel and chop the tomatoes (or use canned chopped).
>
> Fill a shallow saucepan with water, bring to a boil and add the oil
> and 15ml salt. Add noodles one by one and simmer until just tender
> 3-5 mins for fresh 8-10 for dried.
>
> Heat the oven to 180/350 degrees. Butter the baking dish. Ladle one
> quarter of the sauce over the bottom of the prepared dish and arrange
> half of the prawns and scallops on top.
>
> Cover the sauce and prawn mix with a layer of noodles. Put the fish
> pieces in one layer on top of the lasagne. Coat the fish with one
> third of the remaining sauce and cover with lasagne noodles.
> Add the rest of the prawns and scallops followed by half of the
> remaining sauce, then cover with the remaining lasagne noodles. Ladle
> the remaining sauce evenly over the top. Sprinkle with gruyere.
>
> Bake lasagne in the oven until bubbling and golden brown on top, 30-45

BTW: This is an Anne Willan recipe from her "Look & Cook" book on fish
dishes. Long out of print.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-12-12, graham > wrote:

> Long out of print.

Much like most of our fisheries.

nb --who no longer eats ANY seafood.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12 Dec 2016 17:14:35 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2016-12-12, graham > wrote:
>
>> Long out of print.

>Much like most of our fisheries.
>
>nb --who no longer eats ANY seafood.

You'll miss out, should have had some of the lobster I had at a
Saturday night party, to die for!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 10:13:46 -0400, wrote:

> [...]
>Peel and chop the tomatoes (or use canned chopped).
>
>Fill a shallow saucepan with water, bring to a boil and add the oil
>and 15ml salt. Add noodles one by one and simmer until just tender
>3-5 mins for fresh 8-10 for dried.
>
>Heat the oven to 180/350 degrees. Butter the baking dish. Ladle one
>quarter of the sauce over the bottom of the prepared dish and arrange
>half of the prawns and scallops on top.
>
>Cover the sauce and prawn mix with a layer of noodles. Put the fish
>pieces in one layer on top of the lasagne. Coat the fish with one
>third of the remaining sauce and cover with lasagne noodles.
>Add the rest of the prawns and scallops followed by half of the
>remaining sauce, then cover with the remaining lasagne noodles. Ladle
>the remaining sauce evenly over the top. Sprinkle with gruyere.
>
>Bake lasagne in the oven until bubbling and golden brown on top, 30-45

Thank you, L, for taking the time to do that. I was contemplating
doing it but am so glad you beat me to it
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 09:19:56 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>Thank you, L, for taking the time to do that. I was contemplating
>doing it but am so glad you beat me to it
>Janet US

I am bored today, planned to get quite a bit done but it is snowing
heavily and I don't have to go out in it, so I am being good and
staying in - they messed up by not closing the schools then about ten
o'clock deciding to close them so the streets must be a nightmare of
parents trying to retrieve kids (we all know kids don't walk to school
today so when this happens they need drives lol)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 09:19:56 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>

>>Thank you, L, for taking the time to do that. I was contemplating
>>doing it but am so glad you beat me to it
>>Janet US

> I am bored today, planned to get quite a bit done but it is snowing
> heavily and I don't have to go out in it, so I am being good and
> staying in - they messed up by not closing the schools then about ten
> o'clock deciding to close them so the streets must be a nightmare of
> parents trying to retrieve kids (we all know kids don't walk to school
> today so when this happens they need drives lol)

I so much envy you the snow...but, I imagine if you have it often, it can be
a pain to be out and about. I am seeing myself in a nice cabin, cozy and
warm with an adult beverage, watching it fall.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 09:27:43 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 09:19:56 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Thank you, L, for taking the time to do that. I was contemplating
>>>doing it but am so glad you beat me to it
>>>Janet US

>> I am bored today, planned to get quite a bit done but it is snowing
>> heavily and I don't have to go out in it, so I am being good and
>> staying in - they messed up by not closing the schools then about ten
>> o'clock deciding to close them so the streets must be a nightmare of
>> parents trying to retrieve kids (we all know kids don't walk to school
>> today so when this happens they need drives lol)

>I so much envy you the snow...but, I imagine if you have it often, it can be
>a pain to be out and about. I am seeing myself in a nice cabin, cozy and
>warm with an adult beverage, watching it fall.
>
>Cheri

Well I'm in my condo but am definitely cozy and warm and it's a tad
early for an adult beverage, save that for later!! I had hoped it
would be quiet at the shops today and I could finish off what I had to
do, but I stayed home. Now I'm getting bored
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 09:19:56 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>

>>Thank you, L, for taking the time to do that. I was contemplating
>>doing it but am so glad you beat me to it
>>Janet US

> I am bored today, planned to get quite a bit done but it is snowing
> heavily and I don't have to go out in it, so I am being good and
> staying in - they messed up by not closing the schools then about ten
> o'clock deciding to close them so the streets must be a nightmare of
> parents trying to retrieve kids (we all know kids don't walk to school
> today so when this happens they need drives lol)

I so much envy you the snow...but, I imagine if you have it often, it can be
a pain to be out and about. I am seeing myself in a nice cabin, cozy and
warm with an adult beverage, watching it fall.

Cheri

==================

That bit is good, but ... the rest ....

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

This sounds really good, thanks for posting it, and thanks to graham for
sharing it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-12-13, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> Looks like a European recipe. Can't be made here because we don't have
> grams or mls.

Oh! ....so you are a teetotaler. I did not know that.

nb

Pride, Beyerskloof, Katnook, Grahams..... Bill S. Wine 0 14-10-2007 12:19 AM
Creamy Seafood Lasagne (2) Collection nicolane Recipes (moderated) 0 13-02-2006 01:17 AM
Whats a grahams cracker Sarah General Cooking 47 02-06-2005 10:32 PM
TN 75 Grahams John Taverner Wine 0 24-01-2004 11:52 AM
TN: Leoville LC-82, Grahams -70 Anders Tørneskog Wine 0 03-01-2004 03:46 PM