Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default If a recipe calls for . . .

Cardamom pods, crushed, is that cardamom seeds or something else?
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chi...d=synd_msnfood
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-11-05, U.S Janet B > wrote:
> Cardamom pods, crushed, is that cardamom seeds or something else?
> http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chi...d=synd_msnfood

Cardamom pods are little green (or black) shells that contain half doz
or so cardamom seeds. You can buy the "pods" (cheaper) and de-pod the
seeds, yourself, or you can jes buy the decorticated (pod removed)
seeds. They are usually sold both ways. I buy decorticated card
seeds at my local health food store. Costs less the $1.50/oz.

Example:
http://www.vannsspices.com/spices/cardamom-decorticated

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 5, 2016 at 2:58:44 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> Cardamom pods, crushed, is that cardamom seeds or something else?
> http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chi...d=synd_msnfood

I'd consider removing the pods when the sauce is finished, provided
you can identify them. It can be a little intense to bite into on
during dinner.

They don't have to be crushed to smithereens; just enough to let
the sauce in and the flavor out.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5 Nov 2016 19:13:54 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2016-11-05, U.S Janet B > wrote:
>> Cardamom pods, crushed, is that cardamom seeds or something else?
>> http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chi...d=synd_msnfood

>Cardamom pods are little green (or black) shells that contain half doz
>or so cardamom seeds. You can buy the "pods" (cheaper) and de-pod the
>seeds, yourself, or you can jes buy the decorticated (pod removed)
>seeds. They are usually sold both ways. I buy decorticated card
>seeds at my local health food store. Costs less the $1.50/oz.
>
>Example:
>http://www.vannsspices.com/spices/cardamom-decorticated
>
>nb

O.k., I have the seeds here at home. The recipe calls for cardamom
pods, crushed. I thought that the pods themselves were pretty
tasteless.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-11-05, U.S Janet B > wrote:

> O.k., I have the seeds here at home. The recipe calls for cardamom
> pods, crushed. I thought that the pods themselves were pretty
> tasteless.

They are.

The person who wrote that recipe is clueless.

The seeds are tough! I usta mash 'em ina Thai granite M/P, but now
use a whirly-bird coffee grinder. I gotta admit, the M/P does a
better job, but requires more effort.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/5/2016 12:58 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> Cardamom pods, crushed, is that cardamom seeds or something else?
> http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chi...d=synd_msnfood
> Janet US

As I wrote on the other group, Janet, my understanding is that it is the
seeds from the number of pods in the recipe that are crushed. I think
that the pods are way too woody to break down, even with prolonged cooking.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-11-05 2:58 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> Cardamom pods, crushed, is that cardamom seeds or something else?
> http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chi...d=synd_msnfood

It can't be much clearer. It says Cardamon pods... crushed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Nov 2016 12:37:31 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, November 5, 2016 at 2:58:44 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> Cardamom pods, crushed, is that cardamom seeds or something else?
>> http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chi...d=synd_msnfood

>I'd consider removing the pods when the sauce is finished, provided
>you can identify them. It can be a little intense to bite into on
>during dinner.
>
>They don't have to be crushed to smithereens; just enough to let
>the sauce in and the flavor out.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I'll have to go looking for them. I haven't ever seen pods for sale.
I'm assuming the pods are indicated for sublety of flavor rather than
the seeds. Thanks for your help.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Nov 2016 14:17:07 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 11/5/2016 12:58 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> Cardamom pods, crushed, is that cardamom seeds or something else?
>> http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chi...d=synd_msnfood
>> Janet US
>>

>As I wrote on the other group, Janet, my understanding is that it is the
>seeds from the number of pods in the recipe that are crushed. I think
>that the pods are way too woody to break down, even with prolonged cooking.
>Graham

Yes, that was where I got confused as well.
Apparently the pods themselves are available. I've never seen them.
Perhaps I will give my food co-op a try and see if they have them.
They carry some wide-ranging stuff.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Nov 2016 12:58:38 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

> Cardamom pods, crushed, is that cardamom seeds or something else?
> http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chi...d=synd_msnfood
> Janet US

The seeds are inside the pods. Throw the shell part away. The
reality is - I'd substitute an appropriate amount of ground cardamom
(because that's what I have), and add it with the other ground spices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Nov 2016 15:45:53 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Nov 2016 12:58:38 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>
>> Cardamom pods, crushed, is that cardamom seeds or something else?
>> http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chi...d=synd_msnfood
>> Janet US

>The seeds are inside the pods. Throw the shell part away. The
>reality is - I'd substitute an appropriate amount of ground cardamom
>(because that's what I have), and add it with the other ground spices.

Well, I'm thinking it is a fou-fou instruction. You know, one that
allows you to raise your pinkie finger when drinking tea.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 5, 2016 at 7:43:14 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Nov 2016 15:45:53 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 05 Nov 2016 12:58:38 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Cardamom pods, crushed, is that cardamom seeds or something else?
> >> http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chi...d=synd_msnfood
> >> Janet US

> >The seeds are inside the pods. Throw the shell part away. The
> >reality is - I'd substitute an appropriate amount of ground cardamom
> >(because that's what I have), and add it with the other ground spices.

> Well, I'm thinking it is a fou-fou instruction. You know, one that
> allows you to raise your pinkie finger when drinking tea.
> Janet US

No, that's really how they do it in India. Sometimes the pods are
used, sometimes the seeds are used. It all depends on the effect
that the cook is trying to achieve.

Cardamom is notorious for losing its essential oils after grinding.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 5, 2016 at 2:58:44 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> Cardamom pods, crushed, is that cardamom seeds or something else?
> http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chi...d=synd_msnfood
> Janet US

What you want is green cardamom pods. Just don't eat them if you find them on your plate.

Black cardamom pods have a very different flavor and the white bleached pods are useless. For this recipe do not use seeds. In addition, do not steam the rice. Make it in the normal way.

Others who say that cardomom pods have little flavor don't know what they're talking about.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Nov 2016 03:58:56 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, November 5, 2016 at 7:43:14 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 05 Nov 2016 15:45:53 -0700, sf > wrote:

>> >The seeds are inside the pods. Throw the shell part away. The
>> >reality is - I'd substitute an appropriate amount of ground cardamom
>> >(because that's what I have), and add it with the other ground spices.

>> Well, I'm thinking it is a fou-fou instruction. You know, one that
>> allows you to raise your pinkie finger when drinking tea.
>> Janet US

>No, that's really how they do it in India. Sometimes the pods are
>used, sometimes the seeds are used. It all depends on the effect
>that the cook is trying to achieve.
>
>Cardamom is notorious for losing its essential oils after grinding.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

If I can find the pods I will give it a try.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Nov 2016 06:50:03 -0800 (PST), Helpful person
> wrote:

>On Saturday, November 5, 2016 at 2:58:44 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> Cardamom pods, crushed, is that cardamom seeds or something else?
>> http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chi...d=synd_msnfood
>> Janet US

>What you want is green cardamom pods. Just don't eat them if you find them on your plate.
>
>Black cardamom pods have a very different flavor and the white bleached pods are useless. For this recipe do not use seeds. In addition, do not steam the rice. Make it in the normal way.
>
>Others who say that cardomom pods have little flavor don't know what they're talking about.
>
>http://www.richardfisher.com

thanks. I appreciate your knowledge. I was one of those who thought
the pods had no taste.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Nov 2016 17:43:07 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Nov 2016 15:45:53 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 05 Nov 2016 12:58:38 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Cardamom pods, crushed, is that cardamom seeds or something else?
> >> http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chi...d=synd_msnfood
> >> Janet US

> >The seeds are inside the pods. Throw the shell part away. The
> >reality is - I'd substitute an appropriate amount of ground cardamom
> >(because that's what I have), and add it with the other ground spices.

> Well, I'm thinking it is a fou-fou instruction. You know, one that
> allows you to raise your pinkie finger when drinking tea.

It would have made sense if they started off with cumin and coriander
seeds, but they call for ground. I assume the seeds are supposed to
stay whole, but like I said - I have ground cardamom.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. > wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Nov 2016 14:17:07 -0600, graham > wrote:
>
>> On 11/5/2016 12:58 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> Cardamom pods, crushed, is that cardamom seeds or something else?
>>> http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chi...d=synd_msnfood
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> As I wrote on the other group, Janet, my understanding is that it is the
>> seeds from the number of pods in the recipe that are crushed. I think
>> that the pods are way too woody to break down, even with prolonged cooking.
>> Graham

> Yes, that was where I got confused as well.
> Apparently the pods themselves are available. I've never seen them.
> Perhaps I will give my food co-op a try and see if they have them.
> They carry some wide-ranging stuff.
> Janet US

FWIW, I have seen jars of green cardamom pods at Target (the full sized
stores), surprisingly enough. I cook with them frequently, whole,not
crushed. Like bay leaf, pick them out or put off to the side when eating.
For Indian dishes, the green pods are the correct ones.

--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 6:16:15 AM UTC-5, Jinx the Minx wrote:

> FWIW, I have seen jars of green cardamom pods at Target (the full sized
> stores), surprisingly enough. I cook with them frequently, whole,not
> crushed. Like bay leaf, pick them out or put off to the side when eating.
> For Indian dishes, the green pods are the correct ones.
>
> --
> jinx the minx

That's true, they are not always crushed. I'm not sure that crushing makes any difference.

I find the best place to buy spices is at an Indian store. Strangely, they do always have the best varieties, but if it's good enough for the local Indian population it's good enough for me. And they're always cheaper and fresher.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Helpful person > wrote:
> On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 6:16:15 AM UTC-5, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>>
>> FWIW, I have seen jars of green cardamom pods at Target (the full sized
>> stores), surprisingly enough. I cook with them frequently, whole,not
>> crushed. Like bay leaf, pick them out or put off to the side when eating.
>> For Indian dishes, the green pods are the correct ones.
>>
>> --
>> jinx the minx

> That's true, they are not always crushed. I'm not sure that crushing makes any difference.
>
> I find the best place to buy spices is at an Indian store. Strangely,
> they do always have the best varieties, but if it's good enough for the
> local Indian population it's good enough for me. And they're always cheaper and fresher.
>
> http://www.richardfisher.com

My mother-in-law is Indian and I've never seen her crush the pods. Not to
say that it isn't done, but I've never seen it.

--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 06:16:12 -0500, jinx the minx >
wrote:

>U.S. Janet B. > wrote:

>>> As I wrote on the other group, Janet, my understanding is that it is the
>>> seeds from the number of pods in the recipe that are crushed. I think
>>> that the pods are way too woody to break down, even with prolonged cooking.
>>> Graham

>> Yes, that was where I got confused as well.
>> Apparently the pods themselves are available. I've never seen them.
>> Perhaps I will give my food co-op a try and see if they have them.
>> They carry some wide-ranging stuff.
>> Janet US
>>

>FWIW, I have seen jars of green cardamom pods at Target (the full sized
>stores), surprisingly enough. I cook with them frequently, whole,not
>crushed. Like bay leaf, pick them out or put off to the side when eating.
>For Indian dishes, the green pods are the correct ones.

good to know. Thanks.
Janet US