Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default When the recipe calls for 'vegetable oil'

What do you use?

I have grapeseed, canola, olive, sesame on hand, but always hesitate
- do you have some kind of guideline as to what you'll use? What about
in baked goods?

This is almost as bad as 'shortening' - I hate that. Spell it out,
cookbook writers. (I don't own Crisco or lard and never will -- am I
doomed in the kitchen?)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 14, 7:35*pm, wrote:
> What do you use?
>
> I have grapeseed, canola, olive, sesame on hand, but always hesitate
> - do you have some kind of guideline as to what you'll use? What about
> in baked goods?
>
> This is almost as bad as 'shortening' - I hate that. *Spell it out,
> cookbook writers. *(I don't own Crisco or lard and never will -- am I
> doomed in the kitchen?)

Depends on what it is. For most savory cooking, I use olive oil. For
baking, I used vegetable oil or veg shortening (unless it calls for
butter of course).

Crisco is not all bad. Some baking recipes call for it because it
makes a softer cookie, etc, etc than just butter alone. Don't rule it
out, just buy in small quantities.

Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
wrote:

> What do you use?

Canola oil. Or olive oil, although I don't bake with olive oil. Olive
oil is in my sprtizer and in my bottle with the e-z pour spout thingy in
it.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 14, 6:52*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> wrote:
> > What do you use?

> > I have grapeseed, canola, olive, sesame on hand, but always hesitate
> > - do you have some kind of guideline as to what you'll use? What about
> > in baked goods?

> > This is almost as bad as 'shortening' - I hate that. *Spell it out,
> > cookbook writers. *(I don't own Crisco or lard and never will -- am I
> > doomed in the kitchen?)

> Given the choices you have on hand you should use canola oil.

I pretty much stopped using anything except real butter or evoo. I
don't deep fry. If I HAD to deep fry something (or pan fry chicken in
1 inch of oil etc) I would buy peanut or canola. I do use sesame oil
as seasoning and I have used walnut oil. I'd like to try pistascio
(sp!) and avocado oil. I might buy truffle oil or another flavored
oil (garlic or chili flavored oil).
Lynn in Fargo
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> What do you use?
>
> I have grapeseed, canola, olive, sesame on hand, but always hesitate
> - do you have some kind of guideline as to what you'll use? What about
> in baked goods?
>
> This is almost as bad as 'shortening' - I hate that. Spell it out,
> cookbook writers. (I don't own Crisco or lard and never will -- am I
> doomed in the kitchen?)

Vegetable oil is neutrally flavored as a rule. In some dishes, I can
taste canola and find it fishy. But, as a rule, I use canola - and if
I'm worried that the flavor will come through, crisco vegetable oil or
extra virgin olive oil.

--
Yours,
Dan S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 14, 7:22*pm, Dan S.
> wrote:
> > What do you use?

> > I have grapeseed, canola, olive, sesame on hand, but always hesitate
> > - do you have some kind of guideline as to what you'll use? What about
> > in baked goods?

> > This is almost as bad as 'shortening' - I hate that. *Spell it out,
> > cookbook writers. *(I don't own Crisco or lard and never will -- am I
> > doomed in the kitchen?)

> Vegetable oil is neutrally flavored as a rule. *In some dishes, I can
> taste canola and find it fishy. *But, as a rule, I use canola - and if
> I'm worried that the flavor will come through, crisco vegetable oil or
> extra virgin olive oil.
>
> --
> Yours,
> Dan S.
> Befuddlin' teh hope since 2009

Years ago I helped settle a family of Russian emigrants from the
Ukraine. We stocked their kitchen with basics before they came as we
knew their food stamps would be pretty meager. We got them in nice
big bottle of "vegetable oil" - the store brand. They couldn't use it
(they tried, bless 'em) but they went to the store (speaking almost no
English) and somehow communicated that they wanted sunflower oil - who
knew? There's a HUGE sunflower oil refinery less than 100 miles from
Fargo . . .
Lynn in Fargo
PS: in less than 8 months the dad had a good job at a company that
makes medium sized tractors. He had been an engineer in Russia.
They put him to work, he worked on his English and within the second
year they were sending him to the Ukraine to consult with the folks
marketing the tractors!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 14, 6:58*pm, Kris > wrote:
> On Apr 14, 7:35*pm, wrote:
>
> > What do you use?

> > I have grapeseed, canola, olive, sesame on hand, but always hesitate
> > - do you have some kind of guideline as to what you'll use? What about
> > in baked goods?

> > This is almost as bad as 'shortening' - I hate that. *Spell it out,
> > cookbook writers. *(I don't own Crisco or lard and never will -- am I
> > doomed in the kitchen?)

> Depends on what it is. For most savory cooking, I use olive oil. For
> baking, I used vegetable oil or veg shortening (unless it calls for
> butter of course).

"Vegetable oil" means soya oil. Cheap and crappy. It's for people
who are very poor, or who have no sense of taste.

> Crisco is not all bad. Some baking recipes call for it because it
> makes a softer cookie, etc, etc than just butter alone. *Don't rule it
> out, just buy in small quantities.

CRISCO IS BAD. Are you a moron, or did you just arrive in 2009 in a
time machine?

> Kris

--Bryan http://www.TheBonobos.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 14, 6:52*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> wrote:
> > What do you use?

> > I have grapeseed, canola, olive, sesame on hand, but always hesitate
> > - do you have some kind of guideline as to what you'll use? What about
> > in baked goods?

> > This is almost as bad as 'shortening' - I hate that. *Spell it out,
> > cookbook writers. *(I don't own Crisco or lard and never will -- am I
> > doomed in the kitchen?)

> Given the choices you have on hand you should use canola oil.

Opinions differ. Some folks perceive canola as tasteless. Others
don't, and I'm among them. I find peanut more neutral. I think that
most people agree that pricey safflower oil is pretty tasteless.

So canola or peanut, depending on your taste.

--Bryan http://www.TheBonobos.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Apr 14, 6:58*pm, Kris > wrote:
>> On Apr 14, 7:35*pm, wrote:
>>
>>> What do you use?

>>> I have grapeseed, canola, olive, sesame on hand, but always hesitate
>>> - do you have some kind of guideline as to what you'll use? What about
>>> in baked goods?

>>> This is almost as bad as 'shortening' - I hate that. *Spell it out,
>>> cookbook writers. *(I don't own Crisco or lard and never will -- am I
>>> doomed in the kitchen?)

>> Depends on what it is. For most savory cooking, I use olive oil. For
>> baking, I used vegetable oil or veg shortening (unless it calls for
>> butter of course).

> "Vegetable oil" means soya oil. Cheap and crappy. It's for people
> who are very poor, or who have no sense of taste.

The Army used to use "vegetable oil." It was generally bearable in
everything from salads to chicken gravy. I might feel differently
since my tastes have evolved. I mainly switched for cholesterol
purposes. Soya is higher in trans-fats than canola.

>> Crisco is not all bad. Some baking recipes call for it because it
>> makes a softer cookie, etc, etc than just butter alone. *Don't rule it
>> out, just buy in small quantities.
>>

> CRISCO IS BAD. Are you a moron, or did you just arrive in 2009 in a
> time machine?
>
>> Kris

> --Bryan http://www.TheBonobos.com

--
Yours,
Dan S.
Befuddlin' teh hope since 2009

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 14, 7:22*pm, Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig >
wrote:
> On Apr 14, 6:52*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> > wrote:
> > > What do you use?

> > > I have grapeseed, canola, olive, sesame on hand, but always hesitate
> > > - do you have some kind of guideline as to what you'll use? What about
> > > in baked goods?

> > > This is almost as bad as 'shortening' - I hate that. *Spell it out,
> > > cookbook writers. *(I don't own Crisco or lard and never will -- am I
> > > doomed in the kitchen?)

> > Given the choices you have on hand you should use canola oil.

> I pretty much stopped using anything except real butter or evoo. *I
> don't deep fry. *If I HAD to deep fry something (or pan fry chicken in
> 1 inch of oil etc) I would buy peanut *or canola. *I do use sesame oil
> as seasoning and I have used walnut oil. *I'd like to try pistascio
> (sp!) and avocado oil. *I might *buy truffle oil or another flavored
> oil (garlic or chili flavored oil).

I'm exactly with you, except I do fry a lot, so I buy peanut oil by
the gallon. Olive, peanut and canola are all very healthy fats.
Butter, not so much, but what it lacks in healthfulness, it makes up
in deliciousness. The only truly good sub for "shortening" is non-
hydrogenated lard. Palm oil does not taste as good as lard. Butter
has too much moisture for some applications.

> Lynn in Fargo

--Bryan http://www.TheBonobos.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 14, 7:34*pm, Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig >
wrote:
> On Apr 14, 7:22*pm, Dan S.
>

> > wrote:
> > > What do you use?

> > > I have grapeseed, canola, olive, sesame on hand, but always hesitate
> > > - do you have some kind of guideline as to what you'll use? What about
> > > in baked goods?

> > > This is almost as bad as 'shortening' - I hate that. *Spell it out,
> > > cookbook writers. *(I don't own Crisco or lard and never will -- am I
> > > doomed in the kitchen?)

> > Vegetable oil is neutrally flavored as a rule. *In some dishes, I can
> > taste canola and find it fishy. *But, as a rule, I use canola - and if
> > I'm worried that the flavor will come through, crisco vegetable oil or
> > extra virgin olive oil.

> > --
> > Yours,
> > Dan S.
> > Befuddlin' teh hope since 2009

> Years ago I helped settle a family of Russian emigrants from the
> Ukraine. *We stocked their kitchen with basics before they came as we
> knew their food stamps would be pretty meager. *We got them in nice
> big bottle of "vegetable oil" - the store brand.

That was nice of you. A church group? Community group?

> They couldn't use it
> (they tried, bless 'em) but they went to the store (speaking almost no
> English) and somehow communicated that they wanted sunflower oil - who
> knew? *There's a HUGE sunflower oil refinery less than 100 miles from
> Fargo . . .

I'd say. Sunflowers are big business in ND. They grow rapeseed
(canola) there too, right?
I like sunflower seeds a lot, in fact I love them salted in the
shell. The oil isn't my favorite, and it is too high in Omega 6 to be
particularly healthy in quantity, and it's not great for frying.
> Lynn in Fargo
> PS: *in less than 8 months the dad had a good job at a company that
> makes medium sized tractors. *He had been an engineer in Russia.
> They *put him to work, he worked on his English and within the second
> year they were sending him to the Ukraine to consult with the folks
> marketing the tractors!

A good immigration success story. I remember Taylor Momsen in those
Shake 'n Bake commericials. The "... and I helped" ones. Well, you
"helped" that Ukrainian family. Amazing that that funny looking kid
who also starred in the Grinch movie is now one of the prettiest girls
on TV (Gossip Girl).

--Bryan http://www.TheBonobos.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dan S. > wrote:

> [...]

Whatever I can find in my kitchen. We often have something labeled
"vegetable oil". If not, canola oil. I just checked, and we have two
gallon containers of safflower oil. Where'd that come from? I like to
use the cheap jug of olive oil from Costco, if I think the flavor fits
in.

So tell us how to spell it, then. "Crisco" is a brand name, used in the
US. For this newsgroup, which is international, I would think that
"shortening" would be more generic.

> >> Depends on what it is. For most savory cooking, I use olive oil. For
> >> baking, I used vegetable oil or veg shortening (unless it calls for
> >> butter of course).

> > "Vegetable oil" means soya oil.

That might be, although you can find "soybean oil" for sale also. Most
vegetable oil I have seen, says it might contain[list of oils, usually
including soybean oil].

> The Army used to use "vegetable oil." It was generally bearable in
> everything from salads to chicken gravy. I might feel differently
> since my tastes have evolved. I mainly switched for cholesterol
> purposes. Soya is higher in trans-fats than canola.

I simply can't keep up with what is considered "healthier" this week.
Canola oil is lower in saturated fat, and thus higher in polyunsaturated
and monosaturated fat. I don't believe that any vegetable oil actually
has trans fat unless it has been hydrogenated. Fats of animal origin
may naturally have small amounts of trans fat.

http://www.nutristrategy.com/fatsoils.htm

> >> Crisco is not all bad. Some baking recipes call for it because it
> >> makes a softer cookie, etc, etc than just butter alone. *Don't rule it
> >> out, just buy in small quantities.
> >>

> > CRISCO IS BAD. Are you a moron, or did you just arrive in 2009 in a
> > time machine?

All fat is 100% fat. Most dietary advice I've read says that if you
need to reduce fat, then you need to reduce fat. Focussing on
substituting different kinds of fat takes you away from your goal of
reducing fat. It's true that reducing trans fat and saturated fat looks
like a good idea, but someone who eats a limited amount of those fats
isn't going to drop dead tomorrow, and in fact may have a much more
healthy diet than somebody who buys peanut oil by the gallon. It's just
not that simple.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

"[Don't] assume that someone is "broken" just because they behave in ways
you don't like or don't understand." --Miche

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> In article >,
> Dan S. > wrote:

> Whatever I can find in my kitchen. We often have something labeled
> "vegetable oil". If not, canola oil. I just checked, and we have two
> gallon containers of safflower oil. Where'd that come from? I like to
> use the cheap jug of olive oil from Costco, if I think the flavor fits
> in.

> So tell us how to spell it, then. "Crisco" is a brand name, used in the
> US. For this newsgroup, which is international, I would think that
> "shortening" would be more generic.

>>> "Vegetable oil" means soya oil.

> That might be, although you can find "soybean oil" for sale also. Most
> vegetable oil I have seen, says it might contain[list of oils, usually
> including soybean oil].
>
>> The Army used to use "vegetable oil." It was generally bearable in
>> everything from salads to chicken gravy. I might feel differently
>> since my tastes have evolved. I mainly switched for cholesterol
>> purposes. Soya is higher in trans-fats than canola.

> I simply can't keep up with what is considered "healthier" this week.
> Canola oil is lower in saturated fat, and thus higher in polyunsaturated
> and monosaturated fat. I don't believe that any vegetable oil actually
> has trans fat unless it has been hydrogenated. Fats of animal origin
> may naturally have small amounts of trans fat.

I can't keep up either. It's supposed to have less bad stuff than soya
oil or corn oil, or palm oil or grapeseed oil. Not sure about peanut
oil.

--
Yours,
Dan S.
Befuddlin' teh hope since 2009

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> I need to find some of the most-interesting things to make. It
> only occurred to me tonight that I could have made a lard pie
> crust for my Easter pie.

Some people are really down on lard, but I'm not sure it's that bad. I
posted this earlier:

http://www.nutristrategy.com/fatsoils.htm

In comparing lard with vegetable shortening, I just can't see much of a
difference. Unless you eat an awful lot of pie, I don't think it will
have an appreciable impact on your total fat. Two cautions: the site
doesn't show any numbers for trans fat, and it doesn't specify whether
the lard is hydrogenated or not. On the other hand, US labeling laws
require that saturated fat and trans fat be shown on the label, so you
should be able to compare at the store, if you buy your lard at the
store.

On the other hand, butter fat does have quite different numbers than
lard/shortening. Just from the site, I would say that lard is healthier
than butter.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

"[Don't] assume that someone is "broken" just because they behave in ways
you don't like or don't understand." --Miche
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> What do you use?
>
> I have grapeseed, canola, olive, sesame on hand, but always hesitate
> - do you have some kind of guideline as to what you'll use? What about
> in baked goods?
>
> This is almost as bad as 'shortening' - I hate that. Spell it out,
> cookbook writers. (I don't own Crisco or lard and never will -- am I
> doomed in the kitchen?)

I agree with Mark Thorson on this. If it's unspecified it should be a very
neutral oil such as canola, not something with a strong taste. Of course it
depends on the recipe, as well.

And no, you're not doomed I don't recall there being such a variety of
oils when I was growing up but perhaps it was merely our household. There
was corn oil (Wesson) or "vegetable oil" (Crisco brand, the bottled stuff).
Rarely, if ever, did you hear about canola, sunflower, safflower, etc. So
yes, I can understand the confusion especially if you're reading an old
recipe. I have several old recipes that call for "salad oil"... well,
that's clear as mud isn't it? LOL

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Becca wrote:
>>
>> Since I fell of the LC wagon, I've had so much fun. :-) It
>> is Mr. Bill's fault, for posting that Louisiana Butter Pecan Coffee
>> Cake recipe. I thought I was misbehaving when I made fruit salad. lol
>>

>> Becca

> There is misbehaving, and then there is MISBEHAVING!
>
> I need to find some of the most-interesting things to make. It only
> occurred to me tonight that I could have made a lard pie crust for my
> Easter pie.

Sorry you didn't think of that. It has been so long since I used lard,
I doubt I would have remembered it, either. My mother seasoned her
cast iron skillets with lard and she used lard when she cooked
pancakes. It works for heating tortillas, since it has a low smoke point.

On Wikipedia, I was reading about Crisco, they say it has been used for
a sexual lubricant. I guess I didn't get out much. lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisco

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote in message
> On Wikipedia, I was reading about Crisco, they say it has been used for a
> sexual lubricant. I guess I didn't get out much. lol
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisco
>

> Becca

wanna go grocery shopping? hehehe.
--
C.D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> On Wikipedia, I was reading about Crisco, they say it has been used for
> a sexual lubricant. I guess I didn't get out much. lol
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisco
>

> Becca

When I was in the Netherlands, Crisco could only be found in the sex
shops. It wasn't available in the food markets.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Becca wrote:
>
>> On Wikipedia, I was reading about Crisco, they say it has been used
>> for a sexual lubricant. I guess I didn't get out much. lol
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisco
>>

>> Becca

> When I was in the Netherlands, Crisco could only be found in the sex
> shops. It wasn't available in the food markets.

Hey wait a minute... Grandma always used Crisco. Now I am getting
visuals that have to stop. lol

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> What do you use?

it depends on the recipe;

Whether Baking, frying , making mayo, or refried beans, or biscuits, or stir
frying or making aioli I use a different fat for each purpose.

If you're too restrictive then YES you're DOOMED.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Becca wrote:
>
>> On Wikipedia, I was reading about Crisco, they say it has been used for a
>> sexual lubricant. I guess I didn't get out much. lol
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisco
>>

>> Becca

> When I was in the Netherlands, Crisco could only be found in the sex
> shops. It wasn't available in the food markets.

Did the rubber sheet come attached?

:-)

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Goomba wrote:
>> Becca wrote:
>>
>>> On Wikipedia, I was reading about Crisco, they say it has been used for a
>>> sexual lubricant. I guess I didn't get out much. lol
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisco
>>>

>>> Becca

>> When I was in the Netherlands, Crisco could only be found in the sex shops.
>> It wasn't available in the food markets.

> Hey wait a minute... Grandma always used Crisco. Now I am getting visuals
> that have to stop. lol
>

> Becca

I want to know what they put in their pies now.

--
Yours,
Dan S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan S." wrote:

> > Goomba wrote:
> > Hey wait a minute... Grandma always used Crisco. Now I am getting visuals
> > that have to stop. lol

> I want to know what they put in their pies now.

I don't want you playing with that Sheldon kid anymore.
He's a bad influence.
Posted to rec.food.cooking