Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner 8/10/2016

Braised lamb shanks. I salted & peppered the shanks and browned them in
a very little corn oil. Sprinkled with dried rosemary. Deglazed the
pan with a splash of dry red wine, then added a little water, minced
onion and garlic. Covered and brought to a simmer. It will take a
couple of hours to cook until fork tender. I've got green vegetables
galore; I can't decide between brussels sprouts, zucchini, broccoli or
spinach. I haven't decided whether or not I want some sort of starch
with it. Maybe some egg noodles. Not essential.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/10/2016 6:34 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 18:09:42 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Braised lamb shanks. I salted & peppered the shanks and browned them in
>> a very little corn oil. Sprinkled with dried rosemary. Deglazed the
>> pan with a splash of dry red wine, then added a little water, minced
>> onion and garlic. Covered and brought to a simmer. It will take a
>> couple of hours to cook until fork tender. I've got green vegetables
>> galore; I can't decide between brussels sprouts, zucchini, broccoli or
>> spinach. I haven't decided whether or not I want some sort of starch
>> with it. Maybe some egg noodles. Not essential.

> I guess I'll do a ribeye steak, sauteed squash, and some sort of
> buttered noodle sounds good.
>
> -sw

I completely forgot I have some Fordhook lima beans. That will be my
green veggie. The option for egg noodles is still open. I'm not very
hungry so I'll probably skip it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Braised lamb shanks. I salted & peppered the shanks and browned them in
>a very little corn oil. Sprinkled with dried rosemary. Deglazed the
>pan with a splash of dry red wine, then added a little water, minced
>onion and garlic. Covered and brought to a simmer. It will take a
>couple of hours to cook until fork tender. I've got green vegetables
>galore; I can't decide between brussels sprouts, zucchini, broccoli or
>spinach. I haven't decided whether or not I want some sort of starch
>with it. Maybe some egg noodles. Not essential.

A scotch fillet tonight, with garlic, mushrooms, spinach, kale and
chard.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Braised lamb shanks. I salted & peppered the shanks and browned them in a
> very little corn oil. Sprinkled with dried rosemary. Deglazed the pan
> with a splash of dry red wine, then added a little water, minced onion and
> garlic. Covered and brought to a simmer. It will take a couple of hours
> to cook until fork tender. I've got green vegetables galore; I can't
> decide between brussels sprouts, zucchini, broccoli or spinach. I haven't
> decided whether or not I want some sort of starch with it. Maybe some egg
> noodles. Not essential.

I haven't cooked yet but it will be hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes
with plenty of onions in the gravy. Haricot Verts on the side.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 6:41:11 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > Braised lamb shanks. I salted & peppered the shanks and browned them in a
> > very little corn oil. Sprinkled with dried rosemary. Deglazed the pan
> > with a splash of dry red wine, then added a little water, minced onion and
> > garlic. Covered and brought to a simmer. It will take a couple of hours
> > to cook until fork tender. I've got green vegetables galore; I can't
> > decide between brussels sprouts, zucchini, broccoli or spinach. I haven't
> > decided whether or not I want some sort of starch with it. Maybe some egg
> > noodles. Not essential.

> I haven't cooked yet but it will be hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes
> with plenty of onions in the gravy. Haricot Verts on the side.

I still don't know why you keep calling green beans "Haricot Verts"...all that means is green beans in FRENCH.
However, if it makes you happy then continue doing so.
====

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Braised lamb shanks. I salted & peppered the shanks and browned them in
> a very little corn oil. Sprinkled with dried rosemary. Deglazed the
> pan with a splash of dry red wine, then added a little water, minced
> onion and garlic. Covered and brought to a simmer. It will take a
> couple of hours to cook until fork tender. I've got green vegetables
> galore; I can't decide between brussels sprouts, zucchini, broccoli or
> spinach. I haven't decided whether or not I want some sort of starch
> with it. Maybe some egg noodles. Not essential.

Sounds delicious.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 6:41:11 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> > Braised lamb shanks. I salted & peppered the shanks and browned them
>> > in a
>> > very little corn oil. Sprinkled with dried rosemary. Deglazed the pan
>> > with a splash of dry red wine, then added a little water, minced onion
>> > and
>> > garlic. Covered and brought to a simmer. It will take a couple of
>> > hours
>> > to cook until fork tender. I've got green vegetables galore; I can't
>> > decide between brussels sprouts, zucchini, broccoli or spinach. I
>> > haven't
>> > decided whether or not I want some sort of starch with it. Maybe some
>> > egg
>> > noodles. Not essential.

>> I haven't cooked yet but it will be hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes
>> with plenty of onions in the gravy. Haricot Verts on the side.

> I still don't know why you keep calling green beans "Haricot Verts"...all
> that means is green beans in FRENCH.
> However, if it makes you happy then continue doing so.
> ====

Because that's what these were. That's a variety of thin, tender green
beans. Oh and... I'll call you an idiot! How's that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
T...
> In article >,
> says...

>> > I haven't cooked yet but it will be hamburger gravy over mashed
>> > potatoes
>> > with plenty of onions in the gravy. Haricot Verts on the side.

>> I still don't know why you keep calling green beans "Haricot Verts"...all
>> that means is green beans in FRENCH.
>> However, if it makes you happy then continue doing so.
>> ====

> "Haricots verts, French for "green beans" is a variety of green beans
> that is longer, thinner, crisper, and more tender than "standard" green
> beans."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_bean

Thank you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 6:09:48 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> Braised lamb shanks. I salted & peppered the shanks and browned them in
> a very little corn oil. Sprinkled with dried rosemary. Deglazed the
> pan with a splash of dry red wine, then added a little water, minced
> onion and garlic. Covered and brought to a simmer. It will take a
> couple of hours to cook until fork tender. I've got green vegetables
> galore; I can't decide between brussels sprouts, zucchini, broccoli or
> spinach. I haven't decided whether or not I want some sort of starch
> with it. Maybe some egg noodles. Not essential.
>
> Jill

Grilled chicken breast and grilled zucchini for me. After cooking,
I sprinkled some lemon-pepper seasoning (Penzey's) on the chicken.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Grilled chicken breast and grilled zucchini for me. After cooking,
> I sprinkled some lemon-pepper seasoning (Penzey's) on the chicken.

I love chicken with lemon-pepper but some brands aren't that good. Never
tried the Penzey's. I like to add it before cooking (baked)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Grilled chicken breast and grilled zucchini for me. After cooking,
>> I sprinkled some lemon-pepper seasoning (Penzey's) on the chicken.

>I love chicken with lemon-pepper but some brands aren't that good. Never
>tried the Penzey's. I like to add it before cooking (baked)

Best to season before cooking and again after cooking.
Penzeys lemon pepper is much better than any others.
I placed an order to Penzeys a few days ago and it
should arrive later today. Some spices are good regardless
where purchased but no one beats Penzeys salt-free blends. Most
other's blends contain salt, a lot of salt. I don't buy Penzeys lemon
pepper because it contains salt... their salt free version is called
Sunny Spain Seasoning. I'd much rather freshly ground pepper and a
squeeze of fresh lemon... to me lemon pepper blends are like using
bottled lemon juice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> >Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >>
> >> Grilled chicken breast and grilled zucchini for me. After cooking,
> >> I sprinkled some lemon-pepper seasoning (Penzey's) on the chicken.

> >I love chicken with lemon-pepper but some brands aren't that good. Never
> >tried the Penzey's. I like to add it before cooking (baked)

> Penzeys lemon pepper is much better than any others.

No argument there...I've never tried it.

> I'd much rather freshly ground pepper and a
> squeeze of fresh lemon...

I call BS there, my friend. No way you've used pepper and squeeze of
fresh lemon and say that it's good. I've done that and it's not good at
all. The secret is to use plenty of lemon zest, not just the juice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 10:59:13 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
> >
> > Gary wrote:

> > >I love chicken with lemon-pepper but some brands aren't that good. Never
> > >tried the Penzey's. I like to add it before cooking (baked)

For grilling, though, I prefer to add it after. The high, dry heat of the
grill can scorch the pepper.

> > Penzeys lemon pepper is much better than any others.

> No argument there...I've never tried it.
>
> > I'd much rather freshly ground pepper and a
> > squeeze of fresh lemon...

> I call BS there, my friend. No way you've used pepper and squeeze of
> fresh lemon and say that it's good. I've done that and it's not good at
> all. The secret is to use plenty of lemon zest, not just the juice.

And the lemon-pepper seasoning has other stuff, too, like garlic
powder.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy blathers:

> On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 6:41:11 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> > "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > > Braised lamb shanks. I salted & peppered the shanks and browned them in a
> > > very little corn oil. Sprinkled with dried rosemary. Deglazed the pan
> > > with a splash of dry red wine, then added a little water, minced onion and
> > > garlic. Covered and brought to a simmer. It will take a couple of hours
> > > to cook until fork tender. I've got green vegetables galore; I can't
> > > decide between brussels sprouts, zucchini, broccoli or spinach. I haven't
> > > decided whether or not I want some sort of starch with it. Maybe some egg
> > > noodles. Not essential.

> > I haven't cooked yet but it will be hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes
> > with plenty of onions in the gravy. Haricot Verts on the side.

> I still don't know why you keep calling green beans "Haricot Verts"...all that means is green beans in FRENCH.
> However, if it makes you happy then continue doing so.

You are a hectoring uncouth parvenu...

-
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 10:59:35 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:

>> >I love chicken with lemon-pepper but some brands aren't that good. Never
>> >tried the Penzey's. I like to add it before cooking (baked)

>> Penzeys lemon pepper is much better than any others.

>No argument there...I've never tried it.
>
>> I'd much rather freshly ground pepper and a
>> squeeze of fresh lemon...

>I call BS there, my friend. No way you've used pepper and squeeze of
>fresh lemon and say that it's good. I've done that and it's not good at
>all. The secret is to use plenty of lemon zest, not just the juice.

You don't do any *real* cooking... if a server brought me fresh
grilled fish covered with lemon zest I'd say to bill it to Gary, and
hope he chokes on it. Gary has cooking confused with baking, and
obviously he does neither. However I do like a curl of lemon zest in
my espresso, and in my double J&B-rocks. Citrus zest curls are also
excellent in compote
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 10:51:14 -0700 (PDT), "The Greatest!"
> wrote:

>Roy blathers:

>> > I haven't cooked yet but it will be hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes
>> > with plenty of onions in the gravy. Haricot Verts on the side.

>> I still don't know why you keep calling green beans "Haricot Verts"...all that means is green beans in FRENCH.
>> However, if it makes you happy then continue doing so.

>You are a hectoring uncouth parvenu...

Us N'East parvenu rubes say pole or bush beans. Decided not to grow
any this year, too labor intensive harvesting, stringing, and pinching
off the stem ends... frozen are fine and no work at all plus I freeze
mine anyway... also cost the least of all frozen veggies... nust be
all those zoftig/buxom illegal senoritas that I love, don't want
stringbeans. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/11/2016 2:11 AM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 18:09:42 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Braised lamb shanks. I salted & peppered the shanks and browned them in
>> a very little corn oil. Sprinkled with dried rosemary. Deglazed the
>> pan with a splash of dry red wine, then added a little water, minced
>> onion and garlic. Covered and brought to a simmer. It will take a
>> couple of hours to cook until fork tender. I've got green vegetables
>> galore; I can't decide between brussels sprouts, zucchini, broccoli or
>> spinach. I haven't decided whether or not I want some sort of starch
>> with it. Maybe some egg noodles. Not essential.
>>

> Sounds delicious.

It was, thanks! I neglected to say I lightly sauteed the onion and
garlic in the oil before deglazing the pan and continuing on with the
braise. Quite tasty.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 10:51:14 -0700 (PDT), "The Greatest!"
> > wrote:
>
> >Roy blathers:

> >> I still don't know why you keep calling green beans "Haricot Verts"...all that means is green beans in FRENCH.
> >> However, if it makes you happy then continue doing so.

> >You are a hectoring uncouth parvenu...

> Us N'East parvenu rubes say pole or bush beans. Decided not to grow
> any this year, too labor intensive harvesting, stringing, and pinching
> off the stem ends... frozen are fine and no work at all plus I freeze
> mine anyway... also cost the least of all frozen veggies... nust be
> all those zoftig/buxom illegal senoritas that I love, don't want
> stringbeans. LOL

Yeah, string beans are tedious, stringing and pinching them is something I no longer am willing to do. Frozen are fine, and always cheap and abundant, I just picked up a coupla bags at Aldi's for like 69 cents each. As for "haricots", Trader Joe's sells a frozen two - pound bag for $1.99, a superb value for a great product (IIRC they may even be imported from France), no way fresh could be better; most of the haricots verts I've seen in groceries are long past their prime, rotting actually.

I'm a heavy user of frozen veg, they are high - quality, cheap, and versatile. Clarence Birdseye is one of my "hero" inventors/innovators, frozen foods - veg especially - are a real godsend. Another fave thing are the 99 cent bags of frozen Brussels sprouts sold by TJ's, they are always spot - on perfect, never sour - ish.

Growing up, pole beans, especially the "Kentucky Wonder" variety, were a staple, but they sure were a lot of work.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Greatest!" wrote:

> I'm a heavy user of frozen veg, they are high - quality, cheap, and versatile.

I'm with you there. Frozen seem to be the best deals lately.. fresh is
way overpriced here.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 10:03:49 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> "The Greatest!" wrote:
> >
> > I'm a heavy user of frozen veg, they are high - quality, cheap, and versatile.

> I'm with you there. Frozen seem to be the best deals lately.. fresh is
> way overpriced here.
>
> G.

There are a few dishes for which I prefer fresh; in them frozen beans
seem watery. Salad nicoise is one of them.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/12/2016 10:04 AM, Gary wrote:
> "The Greatest!" wrote:
>>
>> I'm a heavy user of frozen veg, they are high - quality, cheap, and versatile.

> I'm with you there. Frozen seem to be the best deals lately.. fresh is
> way overpriced here.
>
> G.

I keep frozen vegetables in the freezer (part of my monthly stocking-up
trip to Publix, along with meats and fish). I do buy fresh vegetables
at the farm stand every week or so. In fact, I just got back from the
farm stand. I bought a lovely purple eggplant and some zucchini. Cost
me a whopping $5. (I'll be damned, the guy put it in a bag for me!)

I'm thinking I'll slice and fry the eggplant. Dredged first in an egg
wash, then dredged in a mix of cornmeal and seasoned flour. I haven't
had fried eggplant in a very long time.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-08-10 6:44 PM, Je�us wrote:

> A scotch fillet tonight, with garlic, mushrooms, spinach, kale and
> chard.

Different places have different names. I had to look up Scotch fillet
and saw that it is what we call a rib eye steak. We are having London
Broils, and I didn't know until I got involved with RFC that our London
Broil is completely different from what it is else. These are slices on
seasoned ground pork wrapped in flank steak.

https://tonymeetsmeat.wordpress.com/...anadian-style/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 12:44:02 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Roy" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> I haven't cooked yet but it will be hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes
> >> with plenty of onions in the gravy. Haricot Verts on the side.

> > I still don't know why you keep calling green beans "Haricot Verts"...all
> > that means is green beans in FRENCH.
> > However, if it makes you happy then continue doing so.
> > ====

> Because that's what these were. That's a variety of thin, tender green
> beans. Oh and... I'll call you an idiot! How's that?

Baloney...they are NOT a variety of anything. Geezus Khrist you are stubborn. As a grocery clerk I TURNED ENOUGH CANS AROUND SO AS TO SHOW THE "GREEN BEANS" side of cans labelled "HARICOTS VERT" in FRENCH. We have bi-lingual labeling here which I have always hated.
====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 1:08:21 PM UTC-4, Roy wrote:
> On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 12:44:02 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> > > I still don't know why you keep calling green beans "Haricot Verts"....all
> > > that means is green beans in FRENCH.
> > > However, if it makes you happy then continue doing so.
> > > ====

> > Because that's what these were. That's a variety of thin, tender green
> > beans. Oh and... I'll call you an idiot! How's that?

> Baloney...they are NOT a variety of anything. Geezus Khrist you are stubborn. As a grocery clerk I TURNED ENOUGH CANS AROUND SO AS TO SHOW THE "GREEN BEANS" side of cans labelled "HARICOTS VERT" in FRENCH. We have bi-lingual labeling here which I have always hated.
> ====

And here's an opportunity to learn something:

<http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/haricot%20vert>

<http://homecooking.about.com/od/cookingfaqs/f/faqharicotvert.htm>

<http://www.thedailymeal.com/green-beans-vs-haricots-verts-whats-difference>

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_bean>

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 12:33:03 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2016-08-10 6:44 PM, Je?us wrote:
>
>> A scotch fillet tonight, with garlic, mushrooms, spinach, kale and
>> chard.

>Different places have different names. I had to look up Scotch fillet
>and saw that it is what we call a rib eye steak.

The name differences between cuts of meat around the world does get
confusing at times.

>We are having London
>Broils, and I didn't know until I got involved with RFC that our London
>Broil is completely different from what it is else. These are slices on
>seasoned ground pork wrapped in flank steak.
>
>https://tonymeetsmeat.wordpress.com/...anadian-style/

Looks really nice, in Australia that would be called grilled rather
than broiled, which is a term I only seem to come across from USAians
and Canadians.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-08-12 3:35 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 1:08:21 PM UTC-4, Roy wrote:

>>> Because that's what these were. That's a variety of thin, tender green
>>> beans. Oh and... I'll call you an idiot! How's that?

>> Baloney...they are NOT a variety of anything. Geezus Khrist you are stubborn. As a grocery clerk I TURNED ENOUGH CANS AROUND SO AS TO SHOW THE "GREEN BEANS" side of cans labelled "HARICOTS VERT" in FRENCH. We have bi-lingual labeling here which I have always hated.
>> ====

> And here's an opportunity to learn something:
>
> <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/haricot%20vert>
>
> <http://homecooking.about.com/od/cookingfaqs/f/faqharicotvert.htm>
>
> <http://www.thedailymeal.com/green-beans-vs-haricots-verts-whats-difference>
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_bean>

It is interesting that most articles report that haricot verts are
longer, thinner, more tender and have a more complex flavour than
American green beans. The only time I every bought something labelled
as haricots verts in a store here they were vile. The were no longer
and thinner, and they had a very unpleasant taste. I remember having
haricots verts in a restaurant in Verdun,France. They were virtually
identical to North American green beans, both in dimension, colour and
taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-08-12 3:50 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 12:33:03 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2016-08-10 6:44 PM, Je?us wrote:
>>
>>> A scotch fillet tonight, with garlic, mushrooms, spinach, kale and
>>> chard.

>> Different places have different names. I had to look up Scotch fillet
>> and saw that it is what we call a rib eye steak.

> The name differences between cuts of meat around the world does get
> confusing at times.
>
>> We are having London
>> Broils, and I didn't know until I got involved with RFC that our London
>> Broil is completely different from what it is else. These are slices on
>> seasoned ground pork wrapped in flank steak.
>>
>> https://tonymeetsmeat.wordpress.com/...anadian-style/

> Looks really nice, in Australia that would be called grilled rather
> than broiled, which is a term I only seem to come across from USAians
> and Canadians.

My understanding is that grilling can be done with the blame or element
above or below, but when it is from above it is generally called broiling.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 06:53:32 -0700 (PDT), "The Greatest!"
> wrote:

>Sheldon wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 10:51:14 -0700 (PDT), "The Greatest!"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Roy blathers:

>> >You are a hectoring uncouth parvenu...

>> Us N'East parvenu rubes say pole or bush beans. Decided not to grow
>> any this year, too labor intensive harvesting, stringing, and pinching
>> off the stem ends... frozen are fine and no work at all plus I freeze
>> mine anyway... also cost the least of all frozen veggies... nust be
>> all those zoftig/buxom illegal senoritas that I love, don't want
>> stringbeans. LOL

>Yeah, string beans are tedious, stringing and pinching them is something I no longer am willing to do. Frozen are fine, and always cheap and abundant, I just picked up a coupla bags at Aldi's for like 69 cents each. As for "haricots", Trader Joe's sells a frozen two - pound bag for $1.99, a superb value for a great product (IIRC they may even be imported from France), no way fresh could be better; most of the haricots verts I've seen in groceries are long past their prime, rotting actually.
>
>I'm a heavy user of frozen veg, they are high - quality, cheap, and versatile. Clarence Birdseye is one of my "hero" inventors/innovators, frozen foods - veg especially - are a real godsend. Another fave thing are the 99 cent bags of frozen Brussels sprouts sold by TJ's, they are always spot - on perfect, never sour - ish.
>
>Growing up, pole beans, especially the "Kentucky Wonder" variety, were a staple, but they sure were a lot of work.

Even though I have a large vegetable garden I still buy a lot of
frozen; brussels, spinach, kale, broccoli, mixed veg, and green
beans... those are too labor intensive. Right now summer squash and
cukes are pouring in, and tomatoes are about to burst at the seams.
just yesterdsy I picked 4 quarts of cherry tomatoes, very sweet, like
candy.
This morning my Penzeys package arrived, Garlic Powder (granulated),
Dehy Bell Pepper (red & green). Fennel Seeds (whole), Pickling Spice,
Celery Salt, and my favorite, Adobo. A smallish order, only $55. But
they tossed in samples of some new products; Salsa Pico (excellent on
the 6 qt pot of stewed yellow squash from my garden I just cooked),
Dehy Minced Garlic (I will definitely use), Tuscan Sunset (smells
great), Aleppo Pepper (should be good on eggs), they are a good amount
for samples, 1/2 cup jars, invoice says they are worth $16.14. I buy
a lot of restaurant size containers of spices and herbs at BJs too,
can't tell the difference from Penzeys and they cost less, but Penzeys
still has the best salt-free blends, I think their Chili powder is
leagues ahead of all others, and contains no salt so can use as much
as I want. Other's blends contain a ton of salt, so even at lower
prices are no bargain, salt is heavy and cheap. Even Penzeys celery
salt is a bargain because it contains more ground celery seed than
salt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 16:00:39 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2016-08-12 3:50 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 12:33:03 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> Different places have different names. I had to look up Scotch fillet
>>> and saw that it is what we call a rib eye steak.

>> The name differences between cuts of meat around the world does get
>> confusing at times.
>>
>>> We are having London
>>> Broils, and I didn't know until I got involved with RFC that our London
>>> Broil is completely different from what it is else. These are slices on
>>> seasoned ground pork wrapped in flank steak.
>>>
>>> https://tonymeetsmeat.wordpress.com/...anadian-style/

>> Looks really nice, in Australia that would be called grilled rather
>> than broiled, which is a term I only seem to come across from USAians
>> and Canadians.
>>

>My understanding is that grilling can be done with the blame or element
>above or below, but when it is from above it is generally called broiling.

Yes, makes sense. Well, I often have broiled ham and cheese on toast
for breakfast in that case. I'd make some this morning if I didnt
forget to bake a loaf of bread yesterday... oh well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 1:08:21 PM UTC-4, Roy wrote:

> > > Because that's what these were. That's a variety of thin, tender green
> > > beans. Oh and... I'll call you an idiot! How's that?

> > Baloney...they are NOT a variety of anything. Geezus Khrist you are stubborn. As a grocery clerk I TURNED ENOUGH CANS AROUND SO AS TO SHOW THE "GREEN BEANS" side of cans labelled "HARICOTS VERT" in FRENCH. We have bi-lingual labeling here which I have always hated.
> > ====

> And here's an opportunity to learn something:
>
> <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/haricot%20vert>
>
> <http://homecooking.about.com/od/cookingfaqs/f/faqharicotvert.htm>
>
> <http://www.thedailymeal.com/green-beans-vs-haricots-verts-whats-difference>
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_bean>

I tried it too, but you can't teach Roy something new. He's been a
grocery clerk, you know.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/12/2016 4:46 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 12-Aug-2016, Jill wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> I'm thinking I'll slice and fry the eggplant. Dredged first in an egg
>> wash, then dredged in a mix of cornmeal and seasoned flour. I haven't
>> had fried eggplant in a very long time.

> Wish I had a nice, large green tomato to slice and treat that way.

Fried green tomatoes are quite tasty! They're way past the green stage
down here. The tomato processing plant is in full production.

> Tomorrow, I'm going to check the international grocer to see if they still
> have some nice green tomatoes. If they do, I make fried green tomatoes and
> a couple of pints of green tomato relish.

Good luck finding the green tomatoes. It's nice that you have an
international market that close by.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 3:41:23 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> In article >,
> says...

> > > Baloney...they are NOT a variety of anything. Geezus Khrist you are stubborn. As a grocery clerk I TURNED ENOUGH CANS AROUND SO AS TO SHOW THE "GREEN BEANS" side of cans labelled "HARICOTS VERT" in FRENCH. We have bi-lingual labeling here which I have always hated.
> > > ====

> > And here's an opportunity to learn something:
> >
> > <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/haricot%20vert>
> >
> > <http://homecooking.about.com/od/cookingfaqs/f/faqharicotvert.htm>
> >
> > <http://www.thedailymeal.com/green-beans-vs-haricots-verts-whats-difference>
> >
> > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_bean>

> I tried it too, but you can't teach Roy something new. He's been a
> grocery clerk, you know.

You have a smart mouth too...shit for brains. I have a farm, I have raised pole beans and string beans and green and yellow beans and lima beans and nearly every kind of bean that will grow in this climate. I like the long slim round pole beans that Julie likes to call HARICOT VERTS but in North America most people know them as green beans. She seems to think they're a different plant or species but all she is saying is BEANS GREEN in French although I doubt if she even knows more than ten other words of FRENCH. I excelled in French when I took it in school many long years ago.
If I were to learn a second language though, I'd prefer German or Spanish. Cree would be nice also.

I sincerely doubt that you could teach anyone as you have not displayed any smarts so far on this forum.
=====

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 3:41:23 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> > In article >,

says...

> > > And here's an opportunity to learn something:
> > >
> > > <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/haricot%20vert>
> > >
> > > <http://homecooking.about.com/od/cookingfaqs/f/faqharicotvert.htm>
> > >
> > > <http://www.thedailymeal.com/green-beans-vs-haricots-verts-whats-difference>
> > >
> > > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_bean>

> > I tried it too, but you can't teach Roy something new. He's been a
> > grocery clerk, you know.

> You have a smart mouth too...shit for brains. I have a farm, I have raised pole beans and string beans and green and yellow beans and lima beans and nearly every kind of bean that will grow in this climate. I like the long slim round pole beans that Julie likes to call HARICOT VERTS but in North America most people know them as green beans. She seems to think they're a different plant or species but all she is saying is BEANS GREEN in French although I doubt if she even

knows more than ten other words of FRENCH. I excelled in French when I took it in school many long years ago.
> If I were to learn a second language though, I'd prefer German or Spanish. Cree would be nice also.
>
> I sincerely doubt that you could teach anyone as you have not displayed any smarts so far on this forum.
> =====

Don't take it from me, just read the Wikipedia entry, French highschool
genius
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 12:33:03 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >On 2016-08-10 6:44 PM, Je?us wrote:
> >
> >> A scotch fillet tonight, with garlic, mushrooms, spinach, kale and
> >> chard.

> >Different places have different names. I had to look up Scotch fillet
> >and saw that it is what we call a rib eye steak.

> The name differences between cuts of meat around the world does get
> confusing at times.
>
> >We are having London
> >Broils, and I didn't know until I got involved with RFC that our London
> >Broil is completely different from what it is else. These are slices on
> >seasoned ground pork wrapped in flank steak.
> >
> >https://tonymeetsmeat.wordpress.com/...anadian-style/

> Looks really nice, in Australia that would be called grilled rather
> than broiled, which is a term I only seem to come across from USAians
> and Canadians.

to add to the confusion, London Broil is an American/Canadian term
that's unrecognised in London England (or anywhere else in Britain).

Here, meat cooked on the grill is called grilled, regardless of whether
the heat-source is over or under. "broil" is not in use.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 8:14:59 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 3:41:23 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> > > In article >,

says...

> > > I tried it too, but you can't teach Roy something new. He's been a
> > > grocery clerk, you know.

> > You have a smart mouth too...shit for brains. I have a farm, I have raised pole beans and string beans and green and yellow beans and lima beans and nearly every kind of bean that will grow in this climate. I like the long slim round pole beans that Julie likes to call HARICOT VERTS but in North America most people know them as green beans. She seems to think they're a different plant or species but all she is saying is BEANS GREEN in French although I doubt if she even

> knows more than ten other words of FRENCH. I excelled in French when I took it in school many long years ago.
> > If I were to learn a second language though, I'd prefer German or Spanish. Cree would be nice also.
> >
> > I sincerely doubt that you could teach anyone as you have not displayed any smarts so far on this forum.
> > =====

> Don't take it from me, just read the Wikipedia entry, French highschool
> genius

I think this is another "pot roast". I finally gave up on that one,
and I don't think there's any point trying to persuade Gary that
haricot vert are different from other green beans, even though they're
like half the diameter at the same length.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 07:43:24 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 10:03:49 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> "The Greatest!" wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm a heavy user of frozen veg, they are high - quality, cheap, and versatile.

>> I'm with you there. Frozen seem to be the best deals lately.. fresh is
>> way overpriced here.
>>
>> G.

>There are a few dishes for which I prefer fresh; in them frozen beans
>seem watery. Salad nicoise is one of them.

>Cindy Hamilton

I've never tried Salad Nicoise but it sounds interesting! Does your
recipe look similar to this?

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...-nicoise-15533

Whenever I see tuna I want to mix it with shredded cheddar cheese,
mayonaise, bell pepper, onions, relish and stuff it in a sandwich.

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 8:14:59 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> > In article >,

says...

says...

> > > You have a smart mouth too...shit for brains. I have a farm, I have raised pole beans and string beans and green and yellow beans and lima beans and nearly every kind of bean that will grow in this climate. I like the long slim round pole beans that Julie likes to call HARICOT VERTS but in North America most people know them as green beans. She seems to think they're a different plant or species but all she is saying is BEANS GREEN in French although I doubt if she

even
> > knows more than ten other words of FRENCH. I excelled in French when I took it in school many long years ago.
> > > If I were to learn a second language though, I'd prefer German or Spanish. Cree would be nice also.
> > >
> > > I sincerely doubt that you could teach anyone as you have not displayed any smarts so far on this forum.
> > > =====

> > Don't take it from me, just read the Wikipedia entry, French highschool
> > genius

> I think this is another "pot roast". I finally gave up on that one,
> and I don't think there's any point trying to persuade Gary that
> haricot vert are different from other green beans, even though they're
> like half the diameter at the same length.

Yes, he's pigheaded. It's Roy, by the way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:
> to add to the confusion, London Broil is an American/Canadian term
> that's unrecognised in London England (or anywhere else in Britain).

London broil is a specific cut of meat here in the USA. Don't know the
other name for it. I never buy it as it has almost no fat.

Interesting about the "Scotch fillet" too. Simply known as "boneless
ribeye" here. My favorite steak.

Also interesting is Australia's "chicken maryland" name. Known as leg
quarters here.

> Here, meat cooked on the grill is called grilled, regardless of whether
> the heat-source is over or under. "broil" is not in use.

Usain broil means cooked via top heat source.
This is my favorite way to cook fish fillets.
Fillet of fish skin down, topped with a smear of mayo
add minced onions and a squeeze of lemon juice.

Broil until the fish is done (opaque) and the onions brown a bit.

Good eats.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 7:14:16 AM UTC-4, BigC300 wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 07:43:24 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> I'm with you there. Frozen seem to be the best deals lately.. fresh is
> >> way overpriced here.
> >>
> >> G.

> >There are a few dishes for which I prefer fresh; in them frozen beans
> >seem watery. Salad nicoise is one of them.

> >Cindy Hamilton

> I've never tried Salad Nicoise but it sounds interesting! Does your
> recipe look similar to this?
>
> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...-nicoise-15533

Similar, although I use a much simpler vinaigrette, and capers rather
than anchovies.

Olive oil, white wine vinegar, a little Dijon mustard (for me, a
little goes a long way), salt and pepper, and maybe some of the
liquid from the jar of pickled capers. I find that a sharper
dressing (more vinegar) than the classic vinaigrette proportions
goes well with all of those other robust ingredients and flavors.

> Whenever I see tuna I want to mix it with shredded cheddar cheese,
> mayonaise, bell pepper, onions, relish and stuff it in a sandwich.

Mayo, onions, celery, chopped stuffed green olives for me. It's
cheating, but I often omit the tuna from salad Nicoise. The eggs
are enough protein for me.

Cindy Hamilton