Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner - 2-24-2016

I have lots of beans and husband who is under the weather (could be
pollen, could be a cold - either way, you don't feel good), so lentil
soup is on the menu. I just rummaged around and tried to use up odds
& ends. It's half a bag of brown lentils, vegetable stock + water,
diced up what was left of an onion and added some leftover (canned)
diced tomatoes that were hanging out in the refrigerator, found a
partial bag of frozen multi colored sweet pepper strips to use,
crumbled up some hot Italian sausage and added some seasonings.

Diced zucchini would be good in this, but I didn't have any.

It's so delicious - I can't stop eating it!

What are you cooking tonight?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> I have lots of beans and husband who is under the weather (could be
> pollen, could be a cold - either way, you don't feel good), so lentil
> soup is on the menu. I just rummaged around and tried to use up odds
> & ends. It's half a bag of brown lentils, vegetable stock + water,
> diced up what was left of an onion and added some leftover (canned)
> diced tomatoes that were hanging out in the refrigerator, found a
> partial bag of frozen multi colored sweet pepper strips to use,
> crumbled up some hot Italian sausage and added some seasonings.
>
> Diced zucchini would be good in this, but I didn't have any.
>
> It's so delicious - I can't stop eating it!
>
> What are you cooking tonight?

I have never dried zucchini! Do you buy it dried? What else do you use it
in??

Oh dinner ... sorry Thick pork chops with chips (fries) canned baked
beans and eggs. (his choice)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 08:52:43 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I have lots of beans and husband who is under the weather (could be
>> pollen, could be a cold - either way, you don't feel good), so lentil
>> soup is on the menu. I just rummaged around and tried to use up odds
>> & ends. It's half a bag of brown lentils, vegetable stock + water,
>> diced up what was left of an onion and added some leftover (canned)
>> diced tomatoes that were hanging out in the refrigerator, found a
>> partial bag of frozen multi colored sweet pepper strips to use,
>> crumbled up some hot Italian sausage and added some seasonings.
>>
>> Diced zucchini would be good in this, but I didn't have any.
>>
>> It's so delicious - I can't stop eating it!
>>
>> What are you cooking tonight?

>I have never dried zucchini! Do you buy it dried?

I also wonder if she dices her dried zucchini

--
Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 08:52:43 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"sf" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> I have lots of beans and husband who is under the weather (could be
>>> pollen, could be a cold - either way, you don't feel good), so lentil
>>> soup is on the menu. I just rummaged around and tried to use up odds
>>> & ends. It's half a bag of brown lentils, vegetable stock + water,
>>> diced up what was left of an onion and added some leftover (canned)
>>> diced tomatoes that were hanging out in the refrigerator, found a
>>> partial bag of frozen multi colored sweet pepper strips to use,
>>> crumbled up some hot Italian sausage and added some seasonings.
>>>
>>> Diced zucchini would be good in this, but I didn't have any.
>>>
>>> It's so delicious - I can't stop eating it!
>>>
>>> What are you cooking tonight?

>>I have never dried zucchini! Do you buy it dried?

> I also wonder if she dices her dried zucchini

Dunno, she might if they were thick. Actually that would be good to know.
I might dry some if there is a good use for them. I stir fry fresh ones
with mushrooms for myself. They are a favourite If you made those, what
flavouring would you use on them. I tend to use a mix of my own with
dried - garlic, onion and salt. I like zucchini because they are quite
bland and take up flavours well.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 09:57:09 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 08:52:43 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>>I have never dried zucchini! Do you buy it dried?

>> I also wonder if she dices her dried zucchini

>Dunno, she might if they were thick. Actually that would be good to know.
>I might dry some if there is a good use for them. I stir fry fresh ones
>with mushrooms for myself. They are a favourite If you made those, what
>flavouring would you use on them. I tend to use a mix of my own with
>dried - garlic, onion and salt.

Yes, garlic definitely and a bit of soy sauce and lots of chili, which
I know you don't like.

>I like zucchini because they are quite
>bland and take up flavours well.

Yes, they're great in stir fries, like a blank canvas for the flavours
that you add.

--
Bruce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 09:57:09 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> I also wonder if she dices her dried zucchini

>>Dunno, she might if they were thick. Actually that would be good to know.
>>I might dry some if there is a good use for them. I stir fry fresh ones
>>with mushrooms for myself. They are a favourite If you made those,
>>what
>>flavouring would you use on them. I tend to use a mix of my own with
>>dried - garlic, onion and salt.

> Yes, garlic definitely and a bit of soy sauce and lots of chili, which
> I know you don't like.
>
>>I like zucchini because they are quite
>>bland and take up flavours well.

> Yes, they're great in stir fries, like a blank canvas for the flavours
> that you add.

Hmm soy sauce! I do like that, good idea

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 8:04:12 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> I have lots of beans and husband who is under the weather (could be
> pollen, could be a cold - either way, you don't feel good), so lentil
> soup is on the menu. I just rummaged around and tried to use up odds
> & ends. It's half a bag of brown lentils, vegetable stock + water,
> diced up what was left of an onion and added some leftover (canned)
> diced tomatoes that were hanging out in the refrigerator, found a
> partial bag of frozen multi colored sweet pepper strips to use,
> crumbled up some hot Italian sausage and added some seasonings.
>
> Diced zucchini would be good in this, but I didn't have any.
>
> It's so delicious - I can't stop eating it!
>
> What are you cooking tonight?

Leftover lentil soup with a little kielbasa sliced up into it.

After snowblowing, I didn't feel like cooking.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
>I have lots of beans and husband who is under the weather (could be
> pollen, could be a cold - either way, you don't feel good), so lentil
> soup is on the menu. I just rummaged around and tried to use up odds
> & ends. It's half a bag of brown lentils, vegetable stock + water,
> diced up what was left of an onion and added some leftover (canned)
> diced tomatoes that were hanging out in the refrigerator, found a
> partial bag of frozen multi colored sweet pepper strips to use,
> crumbled up some hot Italian sausage and added some seasonings.
>
> Diced zucchini would be good in this, but I didn't have any.
>
> It's so delicious - I can't stop eating it!
>
> What are you cooking tonight?

Not for dinner but bedtime snack. Big pot of chicken noodle soup. I used
little Mexican bowties. They are the perfect size.

Must try a different store tomorrow. Only meat I bought at Winco were some
cheap hot dogs and sliced turkey. This is a larger store than the one I've
been shopping at but the stock isn't necessarily the same. They did have the
good ground beef but only in patties and I didn't want those.

Will see what they have at Haggen tomorrow. Can go there on the way to
Costco. I got my kickback check for Costco and I have a free item that I
got from QFC to donate to the food bank. It's not food but an item that
they will take and we don't need it. Am hoping to get some good produce.
Got some really good lettuce and celery at Costco but otherwise it has been
pretty slim pickins no matter where I go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> I have lots of beans and husband who is under the weather (could be
>> pollen, could be a cold - either way, you don't feel good), so lentil
>> soup is on the menu. I just rummaged around and tried to use up odds
>> & ends. It's half a bag of brown lentils, vegetable stock + water,
>> diced up what was left of an onion and added some leftover (canned)
>> diced tomatoes that were hanging out in the refrigerator, found a
>> partial bag of frozen multi colored sweet pepper strips to use,
>> crumbled up some hot Italian sausage and added some seasonings.
>>
>> Diced zucchini would be good in this, but I didn't have any.
>>
>> It's so delicious - I can't stop eating it!
>>
>> What are you cooking tonight?

> I have never dried zucchini! Do you buy it dried? What else do you use
> it
> in??

I have never bought it by itself, dried. Some years ago I did buy a soup
mix that had it in there. Was very handy for the winter. Just add some
broth or vegetable juice and soon there is soup!

> Oh dinner ... sorry Thick pork chops with chips (fries) canned baked
> beans and eggs. (his choice)
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 08:52:43 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"sf" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> I have lots of beans and husband who is under the weather (could be
>>> pollen, could be a cold - either way, you don't feel good), so lentil
>>> soup is on the menu. I just rummaged around and tried to use up odds
>>> & ends. It's half a bag of brown lentils, vegetable stock + water,
>>> diced up what was left of an onion and added some leftover (canned)
>>> diced tomatoes that were hanging out in the refrigerator, found a
>>> partial bag of frozen multi colored sweet pepper strips to use,
>>> crumbled up some hot Italian sausage and added some seasonings.
>>>
>>> Diced zucchini would be good in this, but I didn't have any.
>>>
>>> It's so delicious - I can't stop eating it!
>>>
>>> What are you cooking tonight?

>>I have never dried zucchini! Do you buy it dried?

> I also wonder if she dices her dried zucchini

Now it makes sense. I thought I missed something. She said "diced" and not
"dried".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 08:52:43 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>>I have never dried zucchini! Do you buy it dried?

>> I also wonder if she dices her dried zucchini

> Dunno, she might if they were thick. Actually that would be good to know.
> I might dry some if there is a good use for them. I stir fry fresh ones
> with mushrooms for myself. They are a favourite If you made those,
> what
> flavouring would you use on them. I tend to use a mix of my own with
> dried - garlic, onion and salt. I like zucchini because they are quite
> bland and take up flavours well.

I'm kind of neutral on it except for the stewed stuff at the Hibernia Diner
in NJ. Waitress seriously tried to talk me out of it. Said it was an
acquired taste. I loved it but only ever had it twice. Both times it shot
my blood sugar through the roof. It did taste sweet. Tried many times to
recreate it at home to no avail.

Otherwise, I know it is low in calories and such so I just add it to things
like meatloaf, soup or a mix of veggies. It's okay. I don't dislike it but
I wouldn't go out of my way for it either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 09:57:09 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> I also wonder if she dices her dried zucchini

>>Dunno, she might if they were thick. Actually that would be good to know.
>>I might dry some if there is a good use for them. I stir fry fresh ones
>>with mushrooms for myself. They are a favourite If you made those,
>>what
>>flavouring would you use on them. I tend to use a mix of my own with
>>dried - garlic, onion and salt.

> Yes, garlic definitely and a bit of soy sauce and lots of chili, which
> I know you don't like.
>
>>I like zucchini because they are quite
>>bland and take up flavours well.

> Yes, they're great in stir fries, like a blank canvas for the flavours
> that you add.

A restaurant here does a stir fry with those, yellow summer squash, red
onion, bell pepper, baby carrots and a ton of black pepper. I like it but I
think it's the black pepper that is attracting me to it. Love the stuff!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > I have lots of beans and husband who is under the weather (could be
> > pollen, could be a cold - either way, you don't feel good), so lentil
> > soup is on the menu. I just rummaged around and tried to use up odds
> > & ends. It's half a bag of brown lentils, vegetable stock + water,
> > diced up what was left of an onion and added some leftover (canned)
> > diced tomatoes that were hanging out in the refrigerator, found a
> > partial bag of frozen multi colored sweet pepper strips to use,
> > crumbled up some hot Italian sausage and added some seasonings.
> >
> > Diced zucchini would be good in this, but I didn't have any.
> >
> > It's so delicious - I can't stop eating it!
> >
> > What are you cooking tonight?

> I have never dried zucchini! Do you buy it dried? What else do you use it
> in??

Hi Oph. Just to let you know...sf said "Diced zucchini" not dried.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > I have lots of beans and husband who is under the weather (could be
>> > pollen, could be a cold - either way, you don't feel good), so lentil
>> > soup is on the menu. I just rummaged around and tried to use up odds
>> > & ends. It's half a bag of brown lentils, vegetable stock + water,
>> > diced up what was left of an onion and added some leftover (canned)
>> > diced tomatoes that were hanging out in the refrigerator, found a
>> > partial bag of frozen multi colored sweet pepper strips to use,
>> > crumbled up some hot Italian sausage and added some seasonings.
>> >
>> > Diced zucchini would be good in this, but I didn't have any.
>> >
>> > It's so delicious - I can't stop eating it!
>> >
>> > What are you cooking tonight?

>> I have never dried zucchini! Do you buy it dried? What else do you use
>> it
>> in??

> Hi Oph. Just to let you know...sf said "Diced zucchini" not dried.

Oh! Did I misread?? Thanks

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/25/2016 3:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> I have lots of beans and husband who is under the weather (could be
>> pollen, could be a cold - either way, you don't feel good), so lentil
>> soup is on the menu. I just rummaged around and tried to use up odds
>> & ends. It's half a bag of brown lentils, vegetable stock + water,
>> diced up what was left of an onion and added some leftover (canned)
>> diced tomatoes that were hanging out in the refrigerator, found a
>> partial bag of frozen multi colored sweet pepper strips to use,
>> crumbled up some hot Italian sausage and added some seasonings.
>>
>> Diced zucchini would be good in this, but I didn't have any.
>>
>> It's so delicious - I can't stop eating it!
>>
>> What are you cooking tonight?

> I have never dried zucchini! Do you buy it dried? What else do you use it
> in??

She didn't say "dried", she said "diced".

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2016 8:04 PM, sf wrote:
> I have lots of beans and husband who is under the weather (could be
> pollen, could be a cold - either way, you don't feel good), so lentil
> soup is on the menu. I just rummaged around and tried to use up odds
> & ends. It's half a bag of brown lentils, vegetable stock + water,
> diced up what was left of an onion and added some leftover (canned)
> diced tomatoes that were hanging out in the refrigerator, found a
> partial bag of frozen multi colored sweet pepper strips to use,
> crumbled up some hot Italian sausage and added some seasonings.
>
> Diced zucchini would be good in this, but I didn't have any.
>
> It's so delicious - I can't stop eating it!
>
> What are you cooking tonight?

I had a couple of soft boiled eggs with butter, S&P and a slice of
buttered toast.

I do love lentil soup. I generally add chopped spinach to mine.

Amazing how many people thought you said "dried zucchini". LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > I have lots of beans and husband who is under the weather (could be
> > pollen, could be a cold - either way, you don't feel good), so lentil
> > soup is on the menu. I just rummaged around and tried to use up odds
> > & ends. It's half a bag of brown lentils, vegetable stock + water,
> > diced up what was left of an onion and added some leftover (canned)
> > diced tomatoes that were hanging out in the refrigerator, found a
> > partial bag of frozen multi colored sweet pepper strips to use,
> > crumbled up some hot Italian sausage and added some seasonings.
> >
> > Diced zucchini would be good in this, but I didn't have any.
> >
> > It's so delicious - I can't stop eating it!
> >
> > What are you cooking tonight?

> I have never dried zucchini! Do you buy it dried? What else do you use it
> in??

That's diced zucchini, which is fresh, not dried.

> Oh dinner ... sorry Thick pork chops with chips (fries) canned baked
> beans and eggs. (his choice)

Sounds delicious... except for the egg. I tried topping off my
ratatouille on cornmeal waffle with a runny yolk egg and ended up not
liking it.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 20:04:20 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 08:52:43 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

> >"sf" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> I have lots of beans and husband who is under the weather (could be
> >> pollen, could be a cold - either way, you don't feel good), so lentil
> >> soup is on the menu. I just rummaged around and tried to use up odds
> >> & ends. It's half a bag of brown lentils, vegetable stock + water,
> >> diced up what was left of an onion and added some leftover (canned)
> >> diced tomatoes that were hanging out in the refrigerator, found a
> >> partial bag of frozen multi colored sweet pepper strips to use,
> >> crumbled up some hot Italian sausage and added some seasonings.
> >>
> >> Diced zucchini would be good in this, but I didn't have any.
> >>
> >> It's so delicious - I can't stop eating it!
> >>
> >> What are you cooking tonight?

> >I have never dried zucchini! Do you buy it dried?

> I also wonder if she dices her dried zucchini

Not understanding what I said that made both of you come up with the
word dried when it wasn't there.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 11:12:27 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> I do love lentil soup. I generally add chopped spinach to mine.

Didn't have any in the freezer and didn't want to go out just buy
that. I'm going to the store today and will buy it (maybe fresh,
maybe frozen) to use in the multi-bean soup that I started on the
stove yesterday and transferred into the crockpot for overnight (and
the rest of today).

> Amazing how many people thought you said "dried zucchini". LOL

SMH

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 11:50:42 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 11:12:27 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
> > I do love lentil soup. I generally add chopped spinach to mine.

> Didn't have any in the freezer and didn't want to go out just buy
> that. I'm going to the store today and will buy it (maybe fresh,
> maybe frozen) to use in the multi-bean soup that I started on the
> stove yesterday and transferred into the crockpot for overnight (and
> the rest of today).

I usually have frozen, chopped kale on hand, and I often add some
to lentil soup.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 08:52:43 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > I have lots of beans and husband who is under the weather (could be
>> > pollen, could be a cold - either way, you don't feel good), so lentil
>> > soup is on the menu. I just rummaged around and tried to use up odds
>> > & ends. It's half a bag of brown lentils, vegetable stock + water,
>> > diced up what was left of an onion and added some leftover (canned)
>> > diced tomatoes that were hanging out in the refrigerator, found a
>> > partial bag of frozen multi colored sweet pepper strips to use,
>> > crumbled up some hot Italian sausage and added some seasonings.
>> >
>> > Diced zucchini would be good in this, but I didn't have any.
>> >
>> > It's so delicious - I can't stop eating it!
>> >
>> > What are you cooking tonight?

>> I have never dried zucchini! Do you buy it dried? What else do you use
>> it
>> in??

> That's diced zucchini, which is fresh, not dried.

Yes, sorry I misread but Gary put me right!

>> Oh dinner ... sorry Thick pork chops with chips (fries) canned baked
>> beans and eggs. (his choice)

> Sounds delicious... except for the egg. I tried topping off my
> ratatouille on cornmeal waffle with a runny yolk egg and ended up not
> liking it.

He loved it I had diced chicken stir fried with zucchini and mushrooms.
It was Good)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 20:04:20 +1100, Bruce > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 08:52:43 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"sf" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> >I have never dried zucchini! Do you buy it dried?

>> I also wonder if she dices her dried zucchini

> Not understanding what I said that made both of you come up with the
> word dried when it wasn't there.

Yep Actually I think he was teasing me

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 08:31:49 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 20:04:20 +1100, Bruce > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 08:52:43 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"sf" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> >I have never dried zucchini! Do you buy it dried?

>> I also wonder if she dices her dried zucchini

>Not understanding what I said that made both of you come up with the
>word dried when it wasn't there.

I understood.

--
Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 17:51:26 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 20:04:20 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

>>> .. .

>>> I also wonder if she dices her dried zucchini

>> Not understanding what I said that made both of you come up with the
>> word dried when it wasn't there.

>Yep Actually I think he was teasing me

Yes, but then I dropped it because it wasn't that funny

--
Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 17:51:26 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"sf" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Not understanding what I said that made both of you come up with the
>>> word dried when it wasn't there.

>>Yep Actually I think he was teasing me

> Yes, but then I dropped it because it wasn't that funny

Well it made me grin when it was pointed out to me that I had misread)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/