Old 25-07-2016, 04:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I did it. I grew a potato

http://tinypic.com/r/2qxbwgy/9

I'm sure there are more down there but this one was peeking
out. I'll wait a bit until they're larger, not much larger,
I hope. Then I'll dig around.

nancy

Old 25-07-2016, 04:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 10:20:45 AM UTC-5, Nancy Young wrote:
http://tinypic.com/r/2qxbwgy/9

I'm sure there are more down there but this one was peeking
out. I'll wait a bit until they're larger, not much larger,
I hope. Then I'll dig around.

nancy

YUM!! Wash and cook IMMEDIATELY before anymore of the sugars get converted to starch!!

I had a big ole sweet potato my upstairs neighbor grew in our front yard garden a few years back and it was DELISH!! Nuked it and put butter and brown sugar on it! YUM!!

John Kuthe...
Old 25-07-2016, 05:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/25/2016 11:57 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 10:20:45 AM UTC-5, Nancy Young wrote:
http://tinypic.com/r/2qxbwgy/9

I'm sure there are more down there but this one was peeking
out. I'll wait a bit until they're larger, not much larger,
I hope. Then I'll dig around.

YUM!! Wash and cook IMMEDIATELY before anymore of the sugars
get converted to starch!!

Heh. Maybe I should nuke it real quick.

I had a big ole sweet potato my upstairs neighbor grew in our
front yard garden a few years back and it was DELISH!! Nuked
it and put butter and brown sugar on it! YUM!!

Awesome. The only sweet potatoes I eat are the red ones with
the white flesh. Could be fun to grow them.

nancy

Old 25-07-2016, 05:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-07-25 11:20 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
http://tinypic.com/r/2qxbwgy/9

I'm sure there are more down there but this one was peeking
out. I'll wait a bit until they're larger, not much larger,
I hope. Then I'll dig around.

Do yourself a favour and dig them up while they are small.... new
potatoes. They are much tastier than big potatoes.

Old 25-07-2016, 05:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-07-25 11:20 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
http://tinypic.com/r/2qxbwgy/9

I'm sure there are more down there but this one was peeking
out. I'll wait a bit until they're larger, not much larger,
I hope. Then I'll dig around.

Do yourself a favour and dig them up while they are small.... new
potatoes. They are much tastier than big potatoes.

My father would have dug up all of them by now. They were rarely much
bigger than a walnut.

Old 25-07-2016, 05:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-07-25 12:06 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
On 7/25/2016 11:57 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 10:20:45 AM UTC-5, Nancy Young wrote:
http://tinypic.com/r/2qxbwgy/9

I'm sure there are more down there but this one was peeking
out. I'll wait a bit until they're larger, not much larger,
I hope. Then I'll dig around.

YUM!! Wash and cook IMMEDIATELY before anymore of the sugars
get converted to starch!!

Heh. Maybe I should nuke it real quick.

I had a big ole sweet potato my upstairs neighbor grew in our
front yard garden a few years back and it was DELISH!! Nuked
it and put butter and brown sugar on it! YUM!!

Awesome. The only sweet potatoes I eat are the red ones with
the white flesh. Could be fun to grow them.

They are easy enough to grow. When your old potatoes start sprouting
eyes just cut them into pieces, each with a few eyes. Cover them with
about 3" of soil. When the sprouts are about a foot high, use a hoe to
form a mound around the sprout. To harvest, stick a pitch fork into the
ground a couple feet away from the plant and pry up and repeat closer to
it so that you will loosen the soil and pop out the spuds without
spearing them. Wash the dirt off and let them dry before putting them
in storage.

Old 25-07-2016, 05:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-07-25 11:20 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
http://tinypic.com/r/2qxbwgy/9

I'm sure there are more down there but this one was peeking
out. I'll wait a bit until they're larger, not much larger,
I hope. Then I'll dig around.

Do yourself a favour and dig them up while they are small.... new
potatoes. They are much tastier than big potatoes.

My father would have dug up all of them by now. They were rarely much
bigger than a walnut.

That is when they are best. Small new potatoes straight from the garden
are a real treat.

Old 25-07-2016, 05:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-07-25 11:20 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
http://tinypic.com/r/2qxbwgy/9

I'm sure there are more down there but this one was peeking
out. I'll wait a bit until they're larger, not much larger,
I hope. Then I'll dig around.

Do yourself a favour and dig them up while they are small.... new
potatoes. They are much tastier than big potatoes.

That is my goal. I want small potatoes, not even midsize.

This one was delicious ... and fun to watch in the microwave,
jumping beans got nothing on a tiny potato. Even when cut
in half it still hopped around in there.

nancy

Old 25-07-2016, 05:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-07-25 11:20 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
http://tinypic.com/r/2qxbwgy/9

I'm sure there are more down there but this one was peeking
out. I'll wait a bit until they're larger, not much larger,
I hope. Then I'll dig around.

Do yourself a favour and dig them up while they are small.... new
potatoes. They are much tastier than big potatoes.

That is my goal. I want small potatoes, not even midsize.

This one was delicious ... and fun to watch in the microwave,
jumping beans got nothing on a tiny potato. Even when cut
in half it still hopped around in there.

nancy

I think most eat them with the skin on but my father patiently scraped
every tiny tater.
Graham
Old 25-07-2016, 05:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-07-25 11:20 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
http://tinypic.com/r/2qxbwgy/9

I'm sure there are more down there but this one was peeking
out. I'll wait a bit until they're larger, not much larger,
I hope. Then I'll dig around.

Do yourself a favour and dig them up while they are small.... new
potatoes. They are much tastier than big potatoes.

All the term "new potatoes" means is that they are fresh out of the ground with more of the sugars NOT yet converted to starch. And you NEVER get them in most standard grocery stores, because the potatoes they sell have been sitting around for weeks since being harvested.

John Kuthe...

Old 25-07-2016, 05:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-07-25 11:20 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
http://tinypic.com/r/2qxbwgy/9

I'm sure there are more down there but this one was peeking
out. I'll wait a bit until they're larger, not much larger,
I hope. Then I'll dig around.

Do yourself a favour and dig them up while they are small.... new
potatoes. They are much tastier than big potatoes.

That is my goal. I want small potatoes, not even midsize.

This one was delicious ... and fun to watch in the microwave,
jumping beans got nothing on a tiny potato. Even when cut
in half it still hopped around in there.

Nothing like a dinner than appears to be alive.
Last night we were sitting down to eat on the patio when the dog sniffed
something out. We assumed that it was a chipmunk that he was looking
for, but then my wife spotted the snake. She freaked at first because
she thought it was a rattlesnake... not by the colouring but because it
had a huge flattish looking head. She could nto really see it well
because it was in among the flowers in the garden. When it came out onto
the patio I saw that it was just a fair sized garter snake with a toad
half way down it's mouth. The dog grabbed the snake and shook it,
freeing the toad. The little guy there stunned for a moment and then
hopped away.

Old 25-07-2016, 05:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-07-25 11:20 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
http://tinypic.com/r/2qxbwgy/9

I'm sure there are more down there but this one was peeking
out. I'll wait a bit until they're larger, not much larger,
I hope. Then I'll dig around.

Do yourself a favour and dig them up while they are small.... new
potatoes. They are much tastier than big potatoes.

My father would have dug up all of them by now. They were rarely much
bigger than a walnut.

That is when they are best. Small new potatoes straight from the garden
are a real treat.

Yep! More of the sugars not yet converted to starch!

John Kuthe...
Old 25-07-2016, 05:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-07-25 11:20 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
http://tinypic.com/r/2qxbwgy/9

I'm sure there are more down there but this one was peeking
out. I'll wait a bit until they're larger, not much larger,
I hope. Then I'll dig around.

Do yourself a favour and dig them up while they are small.... new
potatoes. They are much tastier than big potatoes.

That is my goal. I want small potatoes, not even midsize.

This one was delicious ... and fun to watch in the microwave,
jumping beans got nothing on a tiny potato. Even when cut
in half it still hopped around in there.

nancy

I think most eat them with the skin on but my father patiently scraped
every tiny tater.

That is a good idea if the skins are green because it is a sign of
solanine, which is toxic. You would have to eat a lot of it to get sick.

Old 25-07-2016, 05:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

http://tinypic.com/r/2qxbwgy/9

I'm sure there are more down there but this one was peeking
out. I'll wait a bit until they're larger, not much larger,
I hope. Then I'll dig around.

Nancy, some wag altered the tag with a rude word, better check it :-|

--
Best
Greg
Old 25-07-2016, 06:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-07-25 11:20 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
http://tinypic.com/r/2qxbwgy/9

[...]

Awww, screwed the snake out of it's meal! *******!!

John Kuthe...