Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Canadian treats that I loved and grew up on . . .

North Dakota is "muy circa de Canada". Minot, where I was born, is
about 100 miles from the Canadian border. Now you have to have a
passport to cross the border. Not the border INTO Canada, but the
border to get back into the United States.

We used to go to Lake Metigoshe and cross into Canada on the lake. We
could buy candy and sweets at a teeny little store. Best was
MacIntosh Toffee. It came in a flat red cardboard box and it was a
slab of real toffee - not breakable (unless it was cold) you had to
bite it off. It was really hard on your teeth - removed fillings.
Eating it took patience. We also bought Humbugs. They were a hard
brown peppermint dusted with castor sugar. I think they may have had
horehound in them. They were wonderful on a sore throat.

When my dad would go fishing in Canada or cross the border for work
(he was a Law Enforcement Officer) he would bring bak great big cans
of Empress jams and preserves. Raspberry was my favorite, but
Strawberry was his. Once we got blueberry, but mostly it was
strawberry preserves with whole strawberries in the jam. He made bread
almost every weekend that he was home. Always white bread, his
mother's recipe. Still warm and sliced an inch thick with real butter
it was heaven with that jam!

After I was married and could go to Winnipeg, we would bring back a
dozen or so fat round unsliced loaves of "City Rye Bread" - some with
caraway, some without. It was dark brown, slightly sweet and chewy
with a wonderful shiny crust. I think it was something about the
water. They used to sell it at the airport.

Canadian cheddar cheese - extra extra sharp in big wedges. And Keen's
dry English Mustard and huge sweet Australian raisins . . .

Canada - Our Good Neighbor to the North. Responsible for my diabetes,
cholesterol level and dental problems. Gotta love 'em!
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 12:53*am, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
> North Dakota is "muy circa de Canada". *Minot, where I was born, is
> about 100 miles from the Canadian border. *Now you have to have a
> passport to cross the border. *Not the border INTO Canada, but the
> border to get back into the United States.
>
> We used to go to Lake Metigoshe and cross into Canada on the lake. *We
> could buy candy and sweets at a teeny little store. *Best was
> MacIntosh Toffee. It came in a flat red cardboard box and it was a
> slab of real toffee - not breakable (unless it was cold) you had to
> bite it off. *It was really hard on your teeth - removed fillings.
> Eating it took patience. *We also bought Humbugs. *They were a hard
> brown peppermint dusted with castor sugar. *I think they may have had
> horehound in them. *They were wonderful on a sore throat.
>
> When my dad would go fishing in Canada or cross the border for work
> (he was a Law Enforcement Officer) he would bring bak great big cans
> of Empress jams and preserves. *Raspberry was my favorite, but
> Strawberry was his. Once we got blueberry, but mostly it was
> strawberry preserves with whole strawberries in the jam. He made bread
> almost every weekend that he was home. *Always white bread, his
> mother's recipe. Still warm and sliced an inch thick with real butter
> it was heaven with that jam!
>
> After I was married and could go to Winnipeg, we would bring back a
> dozen or so fat round unsliced loaves of "City Rye Bread" - some with
> caraway, some without. *It was dark brown, slightly sweet and chewy
> with a wonderful shiny crust. I think it was something about the
> water. *They used to sell it at the airport.
>
> Canadian cheddar cheese - extra extra sharp in big wedges. *And Keen's
> dry English Mustard and huge sweet *Australian raisins . . .
>
> Canada - Our Good Neighbor to the North. *Responsible for my diabetes,
> cholesterol level and dental problems. *Gotta love 'em!
> Lynn in Fargo

Amazing, I hadn't realised that one couldn't get MacIntosh Toffee or
humbugs in the States. Did you ever try the 'black balls" (3 for a
penny when I was a kid) that variety stores used to sell. Black outer
coating with a hard white interior.

"After I was married and could go to Winnipeg" Is this some even
stranger border control thing that I have not heard about? Something
like not going to Cuba?

John Kane Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 9:39*am, John Kane > wrote:
> On Jun 4, 12:53*am, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
>

> > North Dakota is "muy circa de Canada". *Minot, where I was born, is
> > about 100 miles from the Canadian border. *Now you have to have a
> > passport to cross the border. *Not the border INTO Canada, but the
> > border to get back into the United States.

> > We used to go to Lake Metigoshe and cross into Canada on the lake. *We
> > could buy candy and sweets at a teeny little store. *Best was
> > MacIntosh Toffee. It came in a flat red cardboard box and it was a
> > slab of real toffee - not breakable (unless it was cold) you had to
> > bite it off. *It was really hard on your teeth - removed fillings.
> > Eating it took patience. *We also bought Humbugs. *They were a hard
> > brown peppermint dusted with castor sugar. *I think they may have had
> > horehound in them. *They were wonderful on a sore throat.

> > When my dad would go fishing in Canada or cross the border for work
> > (he was a Law Enforcement Officer) he would bring bak great big cans
> > of Empress jams and preserves. *Raspberry was my favorite, but
> > Strawberry was his. Once we got blueberry, but mostly it was
> > strawberry preserves with whole strawberries in the jam. He made bread
> > almost every weekend that he was home. *Always white bread, his
> > mother's recipe. Still warm and sliced an inch thick with real butter
> > it was heaven with that jam!

> > After I was married and could go to Winnipeg, we would bring back a
> > dozen or so fat round unsliced loaves of "City Rye Bread" - some with
> > caraway, some without. *It was dark brown, slightly sweet and chewy
> > with a wonderful shiny crust. I think it was something about the
> > water. *They used to sell it at the airport.

> > Canadian cheddar cheese - extra extra sharp in big wedges. *And Keen's
> > dry English Mustard and huge sweet *Australian raisins . . .

> > Canada - Our Good Neighbor to the North. *Responsible for my diabetes,
> > cholesterol level and dental problems. *Gotta love 'em!
> > Lynn in Fargo

> Amazing, I hadn't realised that one couldn't get MacIntosh Toffee or
> humbugs in the States. Did you ever try the 'black balls" (3 for a
> penny when I was a kid) that variety stores used to sell. *Black outer
> coating with a hard white interior.
>
> "After I was married and could go to Winnipeg" *Is this some even
> stranger border control thing that I have not heard about? *Something
> like not going to Cuba?
>
> John Kane Kingston ON Canada

No, my family always went to Brandon, Manitoba where we had shirt tail
cousins. Went to Winnipeg with my husband years ago - been back once
for a day at the Folk Festival up and back in the same day - not even
a trip into the city! Got friends in Toronto, been there once, loved
it! Great town for foodies and jazz.
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> North Dakota is "muy circa de Canada". Minot, where I was born, is
> about 100 miles from the Canadian border. Now you have to have a
> passport to cross the border. Not the border INTO Canada, but the
> border to get back into the United States.
>
> We used to go to Lake Metigoshe and cross into Canada on the lake. We
> could buy candy and sweets at a teeny little store. Best was
> MacIntosh Toffee. It came in a flat red cardboard box and it was a
> slab of real toffee - not breakable (unless it was cold) you had to
> bite it off. It was really hard on your teeth - removed fillings.
> Eating it took patience. We also bought Humbugs. They were a hard
> brown peppermint dusted with castor sugar. I think they may have had
> horehound in them. They were wonderful on a sore throat.

I think that a lot of dentists made a lot of money of MacIntosh Toffee.
It is good stuff. A bar of that stuff would last me all day. I have not
touched it in years.

> When my dad would go fishing in Canada or cross the border for work
> (he was a Law Enforcement Officer) he would bring bak great big cans
> of Empress jams and preserves. Raspberry was my favorite, but
> Strawberry was his. Once we got blueberry, but mostly it was
> strawberry preserves with whole strawberries in the jam. He made bread
> almost every weekend that he was home. Always white bread, his
> mother's recipe. Still warm and sliced an inch thick with real butter
> it was heaven with that jam!

My mother used to make bread too. About once a week she would bake a
dozen or more loaves. We would come home from school and snack on bread
fresh from the oven with butter and her home made jams.

> Canadian cheddar cheese - extra extra sharp in big wedges. And Keen's
> dry English Mustard and huge sweet Australian raisins . . .

I had some American friends who lived hear for a while and they always
raved about our cheddar cheese. Whenever they came back to visit they
always took back lots of cheddar. They also stocked up on Red River
cereal.

> Canada - Our Good Neighbor to the North. Responsible for my diabetes,
> cholesterol level and dental problems. Gotta love 'em!

One of our sweet treats that I am surprised never seems to have caught
on in the US is butter tarts. And then there is Nanaimo bars. Like
butter tarts,one is not enough and two is one too many.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 12:54*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:

> One of our sweet treats that I am surprised never seems to have caught
> on in the US is butter tarts. *And then there is Nanaimo bars. Like
> butter tarts,one is not enough and two is one too many.

I remember looking for a butter tart recipe in the Joy of Cooking and
being rather surprised that there wasn't one.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote in news:39bdec4c-ea6d-4bd6-adbf-
on Jun Thu 2009 am

> On Jun 4, 9:39*am, John Kane > wrote:
>> On Jun 4, 12:53*am, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
>>

>> > North Dakota is "muy circa de Canada". *Minot, where I was born, is
>> > about 100 miles from the Canadian border. *Now you have to have a
>> > passport to cross the border. *Not the border INTO Canada, but the
>> > border to get back into the United States.

>> > We used to go to Lake Metigoshe and cross into Canada on the lake. *W

>> > could buy candy and sweets at a teeny little store. *Best was
>> > MacIntosh Toffee. It came in a flat red cardboard box and it was a
>> > slab of real toffee - not breakable (unless it was cold) you had to
>> > bite it off. *It was really hard on your teeth - removed fillings.
>> > Eating it took patience. *We also bought Humbugs. *They were a hard
>> > brown peppermint dusted with castor sugar. *I think they may have had
>> > horehound in them. *They were wonderful on a sore throat.

>> > When my dad would go fishing in Canada or cross the border for work
>> > (he was a Law Enforcement Officer) he would bring bak great big cans
>> > of Empress jams and preserves. *Raspberry was my favorite, but
>> > Strawberry was his. Once we got blueberry, but mostly it was
>> > strawberry preserves with whole strawberries in the jam. He made bread
>> > almost every weekend that he was home. *Always white bread, his
>> > mother's recipe. Still warm and sliced an inch thick with real butter
>> > it was heaven with that jam!

>> > After I was married and could go to Winnipeg, we would bring back a
>> > dozen or so fat round unsliced loaves of "City Rye Bread" - some with
>> > caraway, some without. *It was dark brown, slightly sweet and chewy
>> > with a wonderful shiny crust. I think it was something about the
>> > water. *They used to sell it at the airport.

>> > Canadian cheddar cheese - extra extra sharp in big wedges. *And Keen'

>> > dry English Mustard and huge sweet *Australian raisins . . .

>> > Canada - Our Good Neighbor to the North. *Responsible for my diabetes

> ,
>> > cholesterol level and dental problems. *Gotta love 'em!
>> > Lynn in Fargo

>> Amazing, I hadn't realised that one couldn't get MacIntosh Toffee or
>> humbugs in the States. Did you ever try the 'black balls" (3 for a
>> penny when I was a kid) that variety stores used to sell. *Black outer
>> coating with a hard white interior.
>>
>> "After I was married and could go to Winnipeg" *Is this some even
>> stranger border control thing that I have not heard about? *Something
>> like not going to Cuba?
>>
>> John Kane Kingston ON Canada

> No, my family always went to Brandon, Manitoba where we had shirt tail
> cousins. Went to Winnipeg with my husband years ago - been back once
> for a day at the Folk Festival up and back in the same day - not even
> a trip into the city! Got friends in Toronto, been there once, loved
> it! Great town for foodies and jazz.
> Lynn in Fargo

Come up to Winterpeg in the fall for folkarama...many ethnic pavillions...lots of good food.

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 10:24:36 -0700 (PDT), John Kane
> wrote:

>On Jun 4, 12:54*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> One of our sweet treats that I am surprised never seems to have caught
>> on in the US is butter tarts. *And then there is Nanaimo bars. Like
>> butter tarts,one is not enough and two is one too many.

>I remember looking for a butter tart recipe in the Joy of Cooking and
>being rather surprised that there wasn't one.
>
>John Kane Kingston ON Canada

Hey John, you're in Ontario so I'm sure you've had this. My mother in
law who is French puts oatmeal in hers. Calls it Greo' Pie (sp?),
basically oatmeal pie.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Butter Tart Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Canadian Pie/tart

3 Eggs
3/4 c Brown sugar -- packed
3/4 c Corn syrup
3 tb Butter -- melted
4 ts Flour -- all purpose
1 1/2 ts Vanilla
1/4 ts -salt
2 1/4 c Currants or raisins
1 Pie shell, 9", unbaked

In bowl, beat eggs lightly. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup, butter,
flour, vanilla and salt until blended. Stir in currants or raisins.
Pour in pie shell. Bake in 400F for 5 minutes. Remove heat to 250F.
Bake for about 30 minutes longer or till centre is just firm to the
touch, covering edges of pastry with foil if browning too much. Let
cool completely before cutting. MAKES:10 Serving

This version of butter tarts (a Canadian speciality) is easier to
prepare than the traditional individual tarts. It is very rich and
best served in small pieces.

Source: Canadian Living Magazine

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 3821 Calories; 291g Fat (66.6%
calories from fat); 23g Protein; 305g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 1381mg Cholesterol; 3360mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2
Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 56 1/2 Fat; 19 1/2 Other
Carbohydrates.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 17:25:06 GMT, hahabogus >
wrote:

>Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote in news:39bdec4c-ea6d-4bd6-adbf-
on Jun Thu 2009 am

>> ,
>>>
>>> Amazing, I hadn't realised that one couldn't get MacIntosh Toffee or
>>> humbugs in the States. Did you ever try the 'black balls" (3 for a
>>> penny when I was a kid) that variety stores used to sell. *Black outer
>>> coating with a hard white interior.
>>>
>>> "After I was married and could go to Winnipeg" *Is this some even
>>> stranger border control thing that I have not heard about? *Something
>>> like not going to Cuba?
>>>
>>> John Kane Kingston ON Canada

>> No, my family always went to Brandon, Manitoba where we had shirt tail
>> cousins. Went to Winnipeg with my husband years ago - been back once
>> for a day at the Folk Festival up and back in the same day - not even
>> a trip into the city! Got friends in Toronto, been there once, loved
>> it! Great town for foodies and jazz.
>> Lynn in Fargo
>>

>Come up to Winterpeg in the fall for folkarama...many ethnic pavillions...lots of good food.

Allan, you are here???

Yes Folkarama is huge, then there's Festival du Voyageur.
http://www.winnipegkiosk.ca/winnipeg-events/index.php
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 10:39*am, John Kane > wrote:
> On Jun 4, 12:53*am, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
>

> > North Dakota is "muy circa de Canada". *Minot, where I was born, is
> > about 100 miles from the Canadian border. *Now you have to have a
> > passport to cross the border. *Not the border INTO Canada, but the
> > border to get back into the United States.

> > We used to go to Lake Metigoshe and cross into Canada on the lake. *We
> > could buy candy and sweets at a teeny little store. *Best was
> > MacIntosh Toffee. It came in a flat red cardboard box and it was a
> > slab of real toffee - not breakable (unless it was cold) you had to
> > bite it off. *It was really hard on your teeth - removed fillings.
> > Eating it took patience. *We also bought Humbugs. *They were a hard
> > brown peppermint dusted with castor sugar. *I think they may have had
> > horehound in them. *They were wonderful on a sore throat.

> > When my dad would go fishing in Canada or cross the border for work
> > (he was a Law Enforcement Officer) he would bring bak great big cans
> > of Empress jams and preserves. *Raspberry was my favorite, but
> > Strawberry was his. Once we got blueberry, but mostly it was
> > strawberry preserves with whole strawberries in the jam. He made bread
> > almost every weekend that he was home. *Always white bread, his
> > mother's recipe. Still warm and sliced an inch thick with real butter
> > it was heaven with that jam!

> > After I was married and could go to Winnipeg, we would bring back a
> > dozen or so fat round unsliced loaves of "City Rye Bread" - some with
> > caraway, some without. *It was dark brown, slightly sweet and chewy
> > with a wonderful shiny crust. I think it was something about the
> > water. *They used to sell it at the airport.

> > Canadian cheddar cheese - extra extra sharp in big wedges. *And Keen's
> > dry English Mustard and huge sweet *Australian raisins . . .

> > Canada - Our Good Neighbor to the North. *Responsible for my diabetes,
> > cholesterol level and dental problems. *Gotta love 'em!
> > Lynn in Fargo

> Amazing, I hadn't realised that one couldn't get MacIntosh Toffee or
> humbugs in the States. Did you ever try the 'black balls" (3 for a
> penny when I was a kid) that variety stores used to sell. *Black outer
> coating with a hard white interior.
>
> "After I was married and could go to Winnipeg" *Is this some even
> stranger border control thing that I have not heard about? *Something
> like not going to Cuba?
>
> John Kane Kingston ON Canada- Hide quoted text -

I love MacIntosh and always get some when over the border. Some
restaurants had it in ice cream topping form, too. I'd like to get a
hold of that!

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote:

> Canada - Our Good Neighbor to the North. Responsible for my diabetes,
> cholesterol level and dental problems. Gotta love 'em!
> Lynn in Fargo

The Red Rose brand tea they sell in Canada is far superior to the same
brand they sell here in the US. The Canadian brand is much stronger.
It's the only tea that I will consider putting milk in. Without milk it
jangles my teeth.

I am a huge fan of butter tarts. The plain ones not the wannabee pecan
pie ones. I also love a bag of Tim Bits from Tim Horton's but I
understand they have franchises in the US now.

The very first bison burger I ever had was at a truck stop on the way to
Banff. It was wonderful! They make awesome dry wines from berries in
Newfoundland, too, and while we are talking about wine, let's not forget
the Ice Wine from the Niagara area.

Toronto has an excellent China Town and we've eaten there several times
while visiting. Vancouver's China Town has the best dim sum in the
West---bar none!

The sourdough bread in Whitehorse is legendary as are the pancakes they
make up there with sourdough starter.

There is lots of good food in Canada, but the brown gravy on the French
fries is not my idea of cuisine or even acceptable food.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 07:39:21 -0700 (PDT), John Kane
> wrote:

>On Jun 4, 12:53*am, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
>> North Dakota is "muy circa de Canada". *Minot, where I was born, is
>> about 100 miles from the Canadian border. *Now you have to have a
>> passport to cross the border. *Not the border INTO Canada, but the
>> border to get back into the United States.
>>
>> We used to go to Lake Metigoshe and cross into Canada on the lake. *We
>> could buy candy and sweets at a teeny little store. *Best was
>> MacIntosh Toffee. It came in a flat red cardboard box and it was a
>> slab of real toffee - not breakable (unless it was cold) you had to
>> bite it off. *It was really hard on your teeth - removed fillings.
>> Eating it took patience. *We also bought Humbugs. *They were a hard
>> brown peppermint dusted with castor sugar. *I think they may have had
>> horehound in them. *They were wonderful on a sore throat.
>>
>> When my dad would go fishing in Canada or cross the border for work
>> (he was a Law Enforcement Officer) he would bring bak great big cans
>> of Empress jams and preserves. *Raspberry was my favorite, but
>> Strawberry was his. Once we got blueberry, but mostly it was
>> strawberry preserves with whole strawberries in the jam. He made bread
>> almost every weekend that he was home. *Always white bread, his
>> mother's recipe. Still warm and sliced an inch thick with real butter
>> it was heaven with that jam!
>>
>> After I was married and could go to Winnipeg, we would bring back a
>> dozen or so fat round unsliced loaves of "City Rye Bread" - some with
>> caraway, some without. *It was dark brown, slightly sweet and chewy
>> with a wonderful shiny crust. I think it was something about the
>> water. *They used to sell it at the airport.
>>
>> Canadian cheddar cheese - extra extra sharp in big wedges. *And Keen's
>> dry English Mustard and huge sweet *Australian raisins . . .
>>
>> Canada - Our Good Neighbor to the North. *Responsible for my diabetes,
>> cholesterol level and dental problems. *Gotta love 'em!
>> Lynn in Fargo

>Amazing, I hadn't realised that one couldn't get MacIntosh Toffee or
>humbugs in the States. Did you ever try the 'black balls" (3 for a
>penny when I was a kid) that variety stores used to sell. Black outer
>coating with a hard white interior.

(snip)

Gobstoppers?

I have a weakness for Rowntrees Fruit Pastilles, but I can only get
them by mail-order or in some specialty import shops.

Businesses won't ship in the summer months, either, because of heat
damage. All my supplier had last January were the tubes of all black
currant -which I happen to love, so I got twenty tubes.

Other favorites: Black Magic chocolates.....

"Violet Crumble"!! (Time for a new thread?)

;-)
--
mad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> One of our sweet treats that I am surprised never seems to have caught
> on in the US is butter tarts. And then there is Nanaimo bars. Like
> butter tarts,one is not enough and two is one too many.

You've got a butter tart fan right here! I like Nanaimo bars, too, but
butter tarts better.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 13:03:36 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Lynn from Fargo wrote:
>
>> Canada - Our Good Neighbor to the North. Responsible for my diabetes,
>> cholesterol level and dental problems. Gotta love 'em!
>> Lynn in Fargo

>The Red Rose brand tea they sell in Canada is far superior to the same
>brand they sell here in the US. The Canadian brand is much stronger.
>It's the only tea that I will consider putting milk in. Without milk it
>jangles my teeth.
>
>I am a huge fan of butter tarts. The plain ones not the wannabee pecan
>pie ones. I also love a bag of Tim Bits from Tim Horton's but I
>understand they have franchises in the US now.
>
>The very first bison burger I ever had was at a truck stop on the way to
>Banff. It was wonderful! They make awesome dry wines from berries in
>Newfoundland, too, and while we are talking about wine, let's not forget
>the Ice Wine from the Niagara area.
>
>Toronto has an excellent China Town and we've eaten there several times
>while visiting. Vancouver's China Town has the best dim sum in the
>West---bar none!
>
>The sourdough bread in Whitehorse is legendary as are the pancakes they
>make up there with sourdough starter.
>
>There is lots of good food in Canada, but the brown gravy on the French
>fries is not my idea of cuisine or even acceptable food.

That's ok, you don't have to eat it...we like it..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 13:29:01 -0600, Puester >

>> Butter Tart Pie
>>
>> 3 Eggs
>> 3/4 c Brown sugar -- packed
>> 3/4 c Corn syrup
>> 3 tb Butter -- melted
>> 4 ts Flour -- all purpose
>> 1 1/2 ts Vanilla
>> 1/4 ts -salt
>> 2 1/4 c Currants or raisins
>> 1 Pie shell, 9", unbaked
>>

>> This version of butter tarts (a Canadian speciality) is easier to
>> prepare than the traditional individual tarts. It is very rich and
>> best served in small pieces.
>>
>> Source: Canadian Living Magazine
>>

>That sounds very,very similar to pecan pie with raisins
>instead of the nuts.
>If you like raisins (I don't), I'm sure it's a winner.
>
>gloria p

Kath's mother also makes it with oatmeal, man that's a sweet
pie....thens there's the ice cream for the top

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

> North Dakota is "muy circa de Canada". *Minot, where I was born, is
> about 100 miles from the Canadian border. *Now you have to have a
> passport to cross the border. *Not the border INTO Canada, but the
> border to get back into the United States.

I'm from Buffalo/Niagra Falls so I grew up bicycle distance from the
border.

> Canadian cheddar cheese - extra extra sharp in big wedges.

Black Diamond brand Extra Sharp cheddar in 5 pound wheels.
I recently asked and the grocery stocker hadn't seen a wheel
in years.

Pea bacon. Better than the stuff we call Canadian bacon. I
have not tried carrying preserved meat across the border in
recent memory.

Beer. Before the days of micro-breweries theirs was better.
Now, microbreweries beat their majors.

Whiskey. Same comment until small brand bourbons like
Makers Mark took off a decade ago.

Tea in bags. I had to find a place that costum imported and
sold loose leaf tea before I found better.

On the other hand - the coffee at Tim Hortons just does not
compete with the coffee at Dunkin Donuts per experience a
couple of weeks ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I didn't grow up on it, but Crown Royal Special Reserve
is the best whiskey I've ever tasted. Everything else
is harsh by comparison. Many whiskey drinkers seem to
think that whiskey should be harsh and that CRSR is too
bland, but I don't think it's bland at all. I think
it's perfect, for a whiskey.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote on Thu, 04 Jun 2009 13:03:36 -0500:

> There is lots of good food in Canada, but the brown gravy on
> the French fries is not my idea of cuisine or even acceptable food.

In days gone by, I had moderately frequent occasions to visit Canada and
I was always instructed to bring back British things like Branstone
pickle and British pickled onions that were available there for
reasonable prices.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria replied:

>> Butter Tart Pie
>>
>> 3 Eggs
>> 3/4 c Brown sugar -- packed
>> 3/4 c Corn syrup
>> 3 tb Butter -- melted
>> 4 ts Flour -- all purpose
>> 1 1/2 ts Vanilla
>> 1/4 ts salt
>> 2 1/4 c Currants or raisins
>> 1 Pie shell, 9", unbaked
>>
>> This version of butter tarts (a Canadian speciality) is easier to
>> prepare than the traditional individual tarts. It is very rich and
>> best served in small pieces. Source: Canadian Living Magazine

> That sounds very,very similar to pecan pie with raisins instead of the
> nuts.
> If you like raisins (I don't), I'm sure it's a winner.

How do you feel about dates? _Sunday Suppers at Lucques_ has a recipe for a
date butter tart which sounds pretty good to me, although not very closely
related to the recipe quoted above.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 18:33:42 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Gloria replied:
>
>>> Butter Tart Pie
>>>
>>> 3 Eggs
>>> 3/4 c Brown sugar -- packed
>>> 3/4 c Corn syrup
>>> 3 tb Butter -- melted
>>> 4 ts Flour -- all purpose
>>> 1 1/2 ts Vanilla
>>> 1/4 ts salt
>>> 2 1/4 c Currants or raisins
>>> 1 Pie shell, 9", unbaked
>>>
>>> This version of butter tarts (a Canadian speciality) is easier to
>>> prepare than the traditional individual tarts. It is very rich and
>>> best served in small pieces. Source: Canadian Living Magazine

>> That sounds very,very similar to pecan pie with raisins instead of the
>> nuts.
>> If you like raisins (I don't), I'm sure it's a winner.

>How do you feel about dates? _Sunday Suppers at Lucques_ has a recipe for a
>date butter tart which sounds pretty good to me, although not very closely
>related to the recipe quoted above.
>
>Bob

I have one something like this in the database where I got this above
Bob, if I can find it I'll post it for you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 21:01:34 -0500, wrote:

>On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 18:33:42 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:
>
>>Gloria replied:

>>> That sounds very,very similar to pecan pie with raisins instead of the
>>> nuts.
>>> If you like raisins (I don't), I'm sure it's a winner.

>>How do you feel about dates? _Sunday Suppers at Lucques_ has a recipe for a
>>date butter tart which sounds pretty good to me, although not very closely
>>related to the recipe quoted above.
>>
>>Bob

>I have one something like this in the database where I got this above
>Bob, if I can find it I'll post it for you.

See if this twirls the taste buds

* Exported from MasterCook *

Prune Tart with Armagnac Ice Cream

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Canadian Desserts
Ice cream Pie/tart

-----THE FILLING-----
1/2 c Prunes -- pitted
2 tb Armagnac
1 c Seedless Lexia raisins
1 c Water
1/4 c Brown sugar
1 t Orange rind
1 tb Lemon juice
2 tb Orange juice
3 tb Butter

-----THE ALMOND CREAM-----
1/3 c Unsalted butter
1/2 c Almonds -- ground
1/2 c Icing sugar
2 Eggs
1 tb Rum
2 tb Pastry flour

-----THE PASTRY-----
1 Chilled unbaked 9" pastry
-shell prepared previously
-in a French tart pan.
4 Prunes -- pitted and sliced
-for garnish

Soak prunes in Armagnac overnight. Puree coarsely in a processor or
blender. Set aside.

Combine raisins, water, brown sugar and orange peel in a stainless
steel saucepan. Cover; bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for
10 min or until raisins are soft. With a slotted spoon remove raisins;
set aside. Add lemon and orange juices to pan and uncovered cook
down to a syrup, about 3 tb. Remove from heat and whisk in butter,
prune puree and the soaked raisins.

For the almond creme, in a separate bowl cream butter until fluffy.
Beat in ground almonds and icing sugar. Whip in eggs, one at a time,
beating hard after each addition. Stir in rum and flour. Spread
prune filling on bottom of the tart shell, smoothing the top. Cover
evenly with the almond cream and garnish with slices of pitted
prunes. Bake in preheated 375 deg oven for 30 min or until a skewer
inserted onto the centre comes out clean. Let cool and serve with a
scoop of Armagnac ice cream.

From the L'Ordre de Bon Temps menu in Northern Bounty, A Celebration
of Canadian Cuisine 1995

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 600 Calories; 48g Fat (70.9%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 39g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
167mg Cholesterol; 375mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean
Meat; 1 1/2 Fruit; 9 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

> North Dakota is "muy circa de Canada". Minot, where I was born, is
> about 100 miles from the Canadian border. Now you have to have a
> passport to cross the border. Not the border INTO Canada, but the
> border to get back into the United States.
>
> We used to go to Lake Metigoshe and cross into Canada on the lake. We
> could buy candy and sweets at a teeny little store. Best was
> MacIntosh Toffee. It came in a flat red cardboard box and it was a
> slab of real toffee - not breakable (unless it was cold) you had to
> bite it off. It was really hard on your teeth - removed fillings.
> Eating it took patience. We also bought Humbugs. They were a hard
> brown peppermint dusted with castor sugar. I think they may have had
> horehound in them. They were wonderful on a sore throat.
>
> When my dad would go fishing in Canada or cross the border for work
> (he was a Law Enforcement Officer) he would bring bak great big cans
> of Empress jams and preserves. Raspberry was my favorite, but
> Strawberry was his. Once we got blueberry, but mostly it was
> strawberry preserves with whole strawberries in the jam. He made bread
> almost every weekend that he was home. Always white bread, his
> mother's recipe. Still warm and sliced an inch thick with real butter
> it was heaven with that jam!
>
> After I was married and could go to Winnipeg, we would bring back a
> dozen or so fat round unsliced loaves of "City Rye Bread" - some with
> caraway, some without. It was dark brown, slightly sweet and chewy
> with a wonderful shiny crust. I think it was something about the
> water. They used to sell it at the airport.
>
> Canadian cheddar cheese - extra extra sharp in big wedges. And Keen's
> dry English Mustard and huge sweet Australian raisins . . .
>
> Canada - Our Good Neighbor to the North. Responsible for my diabetes,
> cholesterol level and dental problems. Gotta love 'em!
> Lynn in Fargo

Some of our favorite Canadian "foods":

If you're ever in Vancouver's Chinatown, you can also find the
world-famous Lizard-on-a-Stick. This is a dried reptile perched on a
popsicle stick. We don't have a clue what they're used for. On a tamer
scale, De Dutch on Robson St. has wonderful plate-sized pancakes with
assorted fillings/toppings.

Then on Vancouver Island you can get Nanaimo Bars. These are similar to
the US Hello Dolly bars, but they're made with a custard filling instead
of sweetened condensed milk.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kane wrote:
> On Jun 4, 12:54 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> One of our sweet treats that I am surprised never seems to have caught
>> on in the US is butter tarts. And then there is Nanaimo bars. Like
>> butter tarts,one is not enough and two is one too many.

> I remember looking for a butter tart recipe in the Joy of Cooking and
> being rather surprised that there wasn't one.

I tried Nanaimo bars a few years ago and disliked them. I would probably
love butter tarts, but haven't ever tried one.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 10:59:48 -0700, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

>John Kane wrote:
>> On Jun 4, 12:54 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
>>
>>> One of our sweet treats that I am surprised never seems to have caught
>>> on in the US is butter tarts. And then there is Nanaimo bars. Like
>>> butter tarts,one is not enough and two is one too many.

>> I remember looking for a butter tart recipe in the Joy of Cooking and
>> being rather surprised that there wasn't one.

>I tried Nanaimo bars a few years ago and disliked them. I would probably
>love butter tarts, but haven't ever tried one.
>
>Serene

I'll post a few you might like