Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Keurig problem

Yesterday morning I went into my office to find the Keurig with all the indicator leds flashing. The water in the reservoir was down to one quarter full - less then it should have been. Unplugging the unit did not stop the flashing. The unit was reset by pushing the auto-stop and medium and large cup buttons. The reservoir was refilled and the water level dropped down to about half full when the unit was turned on. The K-cup left in the machine was deformed due to exposure to high temperature.

My guess is that the temperature regulator for the hot water tank failed which caused the tank to boil dry and blow steam out of the water injector needle port. The thermo-fuse was opened once the water tank boiled out. It's a scary kind of failure.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

It is scary.m LEDs flashing even when unplugged? Magic! ;-))
I hope my machine behaves itself...I got it half price from one of GMA's
"Steals and deals" days.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

Yesterday morning I went into my office to find the Keurig with all the
indicator leds flashing. The water in the reservoir was down to one quarter
full - less then it should have been. Unplugging the unit did not stop the
flashing. The unit was reset by pushing the auto-stop and medium and large
cup buttons. The reservoir was refilled and the water level dropped down to
about half full when the unit was turned on. The K-cup left in the machine
was deformed due to exposure to high temperature.

My guess is that the temperature regulator for the hot water tank failed
which caused the tank to boil dry and blow steam out of the water injector
needle port. The thermo-fuse was opened once the water tank boiled out. It's
a scary kind of failure.

---

There was a big recall a year or two ago. Might this unit be one of those?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Use a french press.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 9:35:28 AM UTC-10, Nancy2 wrote:
> It is scary.m LEDs flashing even when unplugged? Magic! ;-))
> I hope my machine behaves itself...I got it half price from one of GMA's
> "Steals and deals" days.
>
> N.

It flashes when it's plugged in. The major problem with Keurigs is the water pump/metering system. It's inconsistent and the pump makes some alarming noises. This is a different problem, caused by a faulty temperature regulation system.

I just felt the need to document the problem just in case I come to the office and it's on fire! I've had the office flooded twice in the last few months - it looks like I'm due for a fire.

OTOH, I bought 80 K-cups from Sam's Club and it was not so good. I was working on finishing it off when my office got flooded. The office had hot air blown through the walls and fan fans going to keep the air moving. I didn't think to remove the K-cups during the time the office was heated to over 100 degrees for almost 4 days. It still tastes bad but now it has a nasty edge to it. The best you could say is that it tastes a bit better than instant. Next time I'm getting my k-cups from Costco.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 9:43:42 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsiyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> Yesterday morning I went into my office to find the Keurig with all the
> indicator leds flashing. The water in the reservoir was down to one quarter
> full - less then it should have been. Unplugging the unit did not stop the
> flashing. The unit was reset by pushing the auto-stop and medium and large
> cup buttons. The reservoir was refilled and the water level dropped down to
> about half full when the unit was turned on. The K-cup left in the machine
> was deformed due to exposure to high temperature.
>
> My guess is that the temperature regulator for the hot water tank failed
> which caused the tank to boil dry and blow steam out of the water injector
> needle port. The thermo-fuse was opened once the water tank boiled out. It's
> a scary kind of failure.
>
> ---
>
> There was a big recall a year or two ago. Might this unit be one of those?

I'll check that out - thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 10:12:19 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> Use a french press.

Wise guy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2016 4:38 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 10:12:19 AM UTC-10, wrote:
>> Use a french press.

> Wise guy!

You could buy a small electric kettle, a coffee funnel, and a pack of
filters.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 12:04:05 PM UTC-10, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 7/22/2016 4:38 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 10:12:19 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> >> Use a french press.

> > Wise guy!
> >

> You could buy a small electric kettle, a coffee funnel, and a pack of
> filters.

This is in an office. I'll ask people if they want a cup of coffee. If they say "yes" I want to give it to them in a couple of minutes with little fuss and then be done with it. If I ran a coffee shop, things would be a lot different, but alas...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2016 6:54 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 12:04:05 PM UTC-10, S Viemeister wrote:
>>>

>>> Wise guy!
>>>

>> You could buy a small electric kettle, a coffee funnel, and a pack of
>> filters.

> This is in an office. I'll ask people if they want a cup of coffee. If they say "yes" I want to give it to them in a couple of minutes with little fuss and then be done with it. If I ran a coffee shop, things would be a lot different, but alas...

That is one place a Keurig makes some sense. If you drink 3 or 4 cups
as soon as you get up, it is a poor choice.

If I visit a supplier or customer and I'm offered coffee I usually
decline. I can't stand burnt coffee sitting for hours so I don't take a
chance. If there was a Keurig, I'd accept.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 3:20:22 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/22/2016 6:54 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> You could buy a small electric kettle, a coffee funnel, and a pack of
> >> filters.

> > This is in an office. I'll ask people if they want a cup of coffee. If they say "yes" I want to give it to them in a couple of minutes with little fuss and then be done with it. If I ran a coffee shop, things would be a lot different, but alas...
> >

> That is one place a Keurig makes some sense. If you drink 3 or 4 cups
> as soon as you get up, it is a poor choice.
>
> If I visit a supplier or customer and I'm offered coffee I usually
> decline. I can't stand burnt coffee sitting for hours so I don't take a
> chance. If there was a Keurig, I'd accept.

I've been in offices where the coffee has been sitting for a couple of hours. Hoo boy - I can taste it in my mouth right now!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-07-22 6:54 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 12:04:05 PM UTC-10, S Viemeister wrote:

>> You could buy a small electric kettle, a coffee funnel, and a pack
>> of filters.

> This is in an office. I'll ask people if they want a cup of coffee.
> If they say "yes" I want to give it to them in a couple of minutes
> with little fuss and then be done with it. If I ran a coffee shop,
> things would be a lot different, but alas...

My wife belongs to a walking group that usually goes out for coffee
after the walk. One of the places they go has a couple Keurig machines
and dozens of varieties of coffees. Problem is...Keurig coffee generally
sucks.

Niece had a Nespresso machine and that thing made really good coffee.
The downside is that the machines are expensive and the pucks are
expensive and hard to find. I would have to drive 15 miles to the
nearest store here that sells them, or i can order then online. That is
too much hassle for coffee. Then there is the cost of them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 3:49:03 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-07-22 6:54 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 12:04:05 PM UTC-10, S Viemeister wrote:

> >> You could buy a small electric kettle, a coffee funnel, and a pack
> >> of filters.

> > This is in an office. I'll ask people if they want a cup of coffee.
> > If they say "yes" I want to give it to them in a couple of minutes
> > with little fuss and then be done with it. If I ran a coffee shop,
> > things would be a lot different, but alas...
> >

> My wife belongs to a walking group that usually goes out for coffee
> after the walk. One of the places they go has a couple Keurig machines
> and dozens of varieties of coffees. Problem is...Keurig coffee generally
> sucks.
>
> Niece had a Nespresso machine and that thing made really good coffee.
> The downside is that the machines are expensive and the pucks are
> expensive and hard to find. I would have to drive 15 miles to the
> nearest store here that sells them, or i can order then online. That is
> too much hassle for coffee. Then there is the cost of them.

The box I am trying to use up certainly does suck but I've had a few boxes from Costco and Amazon that were pretty darn good. It's a wonderful thing to be able to get a good cup of coffee easily and quickly. Once you find a great box, the brewed coffee is going to be pretty much the same. Having a dependable brew is also a very good thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

S Viemeister wrote:

> You could buy a small electric kettle, a coffee funnel, and a pack of
> filters.

That's about what I do, but I let the coffee steep in the hot water for
3+ minutes ere I goes into the filter. Perfect control, which is one
reason why I gave up on the Keurig.