Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Could not get to Farmer's Market

I took my friends to the Lake City one today. Apparently there is some thing
to where if you get food stamps, you get a $10 voucher to be used at the
Farmer's Market. I am not sure how often you get this. One of my friends
does get this. But... The closest place I could park was 2.5 blocks away and
that was just too far for me to walk. So I wasn't able to get there.

The only reason we went to this one was because it is held later in the day.
It's an hour's drive to the one friend's house and longer to get to the
other's place. And I'm not a morning person. Some of the others close by
afternoon and towards the closing time, there's not much left.

So... I have no clue what all they had except for peaches and cherries as
that is what my one friend got. They did say there was a sign on the
cherries stating this was the last week for them. The strawberries are
already long gone. The local ones anyway. Such an odd growing season this
year.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> I took my friends to the Lake City one today. Apparently there is some thing
> to where if you get food stamps, you get a $10 voucher to be used at the
> Farmer's Market. I am not sure how often you get this. One of my friends
> does get this. But... The closest place I could park was 2.5 blocks away and
> that was just too far for me to walk. So I wasn't able to get there.
>
> The only reason we went to this one was because it is held later in the day.
> It's an hour's drive to the one friend's house and longer to get to the
> other's place. And I'm not a morning person. Some of the others close by
> afternoon and towards the closing time, there's not much left.
>
> So... I have no clue what all they had except for peaches and cherries as
> that is what my one friend got. They did say there was a sign on the
> cherries stating this was the last week for them. The strawberries are
> already long gone. The local ones anyway. Such an odd growing season this
> year.

I got to our usual farmer's market near the end and everyone was out of
raspberries

it's okay, we've got more blueberries than we know what to do wtih

http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/stuff/fo..._145632967.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

> I got to our usual farmer's market near the end and everyone was out of
> raspberries
>
> it's okay, we've got more blueberries than we know what to do wtih
>
> http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/stuff/fo..._145632967.jpg

I don't see blueberries there, tert, only gladioli...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Greatest!" > wrote in message
> tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> I got to our usual farmer's market near the end and everyone was out of
>> raspberries
>>
>> it's okay, we've got more blueberries than we know what to do wtih
>>
>> http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/stuff/fo..._145632967.jpg

> I don't see blueberries there, tert, only gladioli...

My blueberries are still wee green buds

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Greatest! wrote:
> tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> I got to our usual farmer's market near the end and everyone was out of
>> raspberries
>>
>> it's okay, we've got more blueberries than we know what to do wtih
>>
>> http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/stuff/fo..._145632967.jpg

> I don't see blueberries there, tert, only gladioli...

HAR

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> I took my friends to the Lake City one today. Apparently there is some
>> thing
>> to where if you get food stamps, you get a $10 voucher to be used at the
>> Farmer's Market. I am not sure how often you get this. One of my friends
>> does get this. But... The closest place I could park was 2.5 blocks away
>> and
>> that was just too far for me to walk. So I wasn't able to get there.
>>
>> The only reason we went to this one was because it is held later in the
>> day.
>> It's an hour's drive to the one friend's house and longer to get to the
>> other's place. And I'm not a morning person. Some of the others close by
>> afternoon and towards the closing time, there's not much left.
>>
>> So... I have no clue what all they had except for peaches and cherries as
>> that is what my one friend got. They did say there was a sign on the
>> cherries stating this was the last week for them. The strawberries are
>> already long gone. The local ones anyway. Such an odd growing season this
>> year.

> I got to our usual farmer's market near the end and everyone was out of
> raspberries
>
> it's okay, we've got more blueberries than we know what to do wtih
>
> http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/stuff/fo..._145632967.jpg

There was a bumper crop of blueberries last year and I suspect the same this
year. They're everywhere! Coscto annoyed me last year because they started
putting a cup of blueberries at the top of their fruit bowls. I had to quit
buying them. Nobody in this house will eat them except perhaps for the
occasional blueberry muffin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2016 12:44 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "The Greatest!" > wrote in message
>> tert in seattle wrote:
>>
>>> I got to our usual farmer's market near the end and everyone was out of
>>> raspberries
>>>
>>> it's okay, we've got more blueberries than we know what to do wtih
>>>
>>> http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/stuff/fo..._145632967.jpg

>> I don't see blueberries there, tert, only gladioli...

> My blueberries are still wee green buds

I've just bought 20lbs. I might buy more if there's room in the freezer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 7/22/2016 12:44 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I don't see blueberries there, tert, only gladioli...

>> My blueberries are still wee green buds
>>

> I've just bought 20lbs. I might buy more if there's room in the freezer.

Flash git <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016, tert in seattle wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:
>> I took my friends to the Lake City one today. Apparently there is some thing
>> to where if you get food stamps, you get a $10 voucher to be used at the
>> Farmer's Market. I am not sure how often you get this. One of my friends
>> does get this. But... The closest place I could park was 2.5 blocks away and
>> that was just too far for me to walk. So I wasn't able to get there.
>>
>> The only reason we went to this one was because it is held later in the day.
>> It's an hour's drive to the one friend's house and longer to get to the
>> other's place. And I'm not a morning person. Some of the others close by
>> afternoon and towards the closing time, there's not much left.
>>
>> So... I have no clue what all they had except for peaches and cherries as
>> that is what my one friend got. They did say there was a sign on the
>> cherries stating this was the last week for them. The strawberries are
>> already long gone. The local ones anyway. Such an odd growing season this
>> year.

> I got to our usual farmer's market near the end and everyone was out of
> raspberries
>
> it's okay, we've got more blueberries than we know what to do wtih
>
> http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/stuff/fo..._145632967.jpg

Make blueberry PIEROGI. Toss them in a little butter after boiling.
Then when you eat them, top them with some sour cream that has sugar and
cinnamon in it.
SO FREAKIN YUMMY.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> On 7/22/2016 12:44 PM, Ophelia wrote:

http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/stuff/fo..._145632967.jpg

> >> I don't see blueberries there, tert, only gladioli...

> > My blueberries are still wee green buds
> >

> I've just bought 20lbs. I might buy more if there's room in the freezer.

Do you just freeze them as they come, or make pie, jam etc?

I love blueberries and eat them often, raw with yohurt. We also pick
the small wild native relative, billberries aka whinberries. We pick
those wild in later summer but it takes an awful lot of picking to have
enough for a pie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilberry

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2016 8:42 AM, Janet wrote:

> I love blueberries and eat them often, raw with yohurt. We also pick
> the small wild native relative, billberries aka whinberries.

I've always called those blaeberries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2016 6:42 AM, Janet wrote:
> In article >, says...

http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/stuff/fo..._145632967.jpg

>>> My blueberries are still wee green buds
>>>

>> I've just bought 20lbs. I might buy more if there's room in the freezer.

> Do you just freeze them as they come, or make pie, jam etc?

I freeze them as is and have done so for >25 years. I normally freeze 30
or 35lbs but I still have a fair number of pots from last year.
I half fill the kitchen sink with cold water into which tip the
blueberries. Swirl around a bit and remove any green ones or other
detritus then scoop them out by hand, check for stalks, and put them
into plastic pots.
I always put them on my B/F cereal. I've never bothered to make jam or
pies with them.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2016 2:45 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "graham" > wrote in message

>>> My blueberries are still wee green buds
>>>

>> I've just bought 20lbs. I might buy more if there's room in the freezer.

> Flash git <g>

I normally freeze 30-35lbs. So there!!!{:-)
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 7/22/2016 2:45 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I've just bought 20lbs. I might buy more if there's room in the freezer.

>> Flash git <g>
>>

> I normally freeze 30-35lbs. So there!!!{:-)

LOL I will get nothing like that many from my few small bushes

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

barbie gee wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jul 2016, tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I took my friends to the Lake City one today. Apparently there is some thing
>>> to where if you get food stamps, you get a $10 voucher to be used at the
>>> Farmer's Market. I am not sure how often you get this. One of my friends
>>> does get this. But... The closest place I could park was 2.5 blocks away and
>>> that was just too far for me to walk. So I wasn't able to get there.
>>>
>>> The only reason we went to this one was because it is held later in the day.
>>> It's an hour's drive to the one friend's house and longer to get to the
>>> other's place. And I'm not a morning person. Some of the others close by
>>> afternoon and towards the closing time, there's not much left.
>>>
>>> So... I have no clue what all they had except for peaches and cherries as
>>> that is what my one friend got. They did say there was a sign on the
>>> cherries stating this was the last week for them. The strawberries are
>>> already long gone. The local ones anyway. Such an odd growing season this
>>> year.

>> I got to our usual farmer's market near the end and everyone was out of
>> raspberries
>>
>> it's okay, we've got more blueberries than we know what to do wtih
>>
>> http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/stuff/fo..._145632967.jpg

> Make blueberry PIEROGI. Toss them in a little butter after boiling.
> Then when you eat them, top them with some sour cream that has sugar and
> cinnamon in it.
> SO FREAKIN YUMMY.

I'll have to go pick some more - this sounds great but we just finished
them off with a small batch of scones

http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/stuff/food/bbscones.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 21, 2016 at 4:06:32 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> I took my friends to the Lake City one today. Apparently there is some thing
> to where if you get food stamps, you get a $10 voucher to be used at the
> Farmer's Market. I am not sure how often you get this. One of my friends
> does get this. But... The closest place I could park was 2.5 blocks away and
> that was just too far for me to walk. So I wasn't able to get there.
>
> The only reason we went to this one was because it is held later in the day.
> It's an hour's drive to the one friend's house and longer to get to the
> other's place. And I'm not a morning person. Some of the others close by
> afternoon and towards the closing time, there's not much left.
>
> So... I have no clue what all they had except for peaches and cherries as
> that is what my one friend got. They did say there was a sign on the
> cherries stating this was the last week for them. The strawberries are
> already long gone. The local ones anyway. Such an odd growing season this
> year.

I sure got to the farmer's market. I had a kalua pig and lomi salmon wrapped in a crepe. The combo works - for me, anyway.

https://foodcomas.com/2012/06/28/lomi-lomi-salmon/