MJ

Default oatmeal cookies?

I'm looking for a good oatmeal cookie recipe with raisins..i would like it
to be one that stays soft even after a couple of days..does anyone have a
good one?
Thanks
MJ

Bob

MJ wrote:

> I'm looking for a good oatmeal cookie recipe with raisins..i would like it
> to be one that stays soft even after a couple of days..does anyone have a
> good one?

This is the recipe from the Mrs. Fields cookie book. The cookies hold up
quite well; I think the large amount of sugar helps to keep them moist. One
substitution I recommend is using chopped dates instead of raisins. Sadly,
many people have a closed mind about dates: If you just put the cookies out
and let people eat them, you can expect raves about how great they are, and
how there's SOMETHING which makes them really special. But if you put the
cookies out and say, "Try these oatmeal-date cookies," they'll turn their
noses up at them. Go figure.

2 1/2 cups Flour
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 cup Oatmeal
1 teaspoon Baking soda
1/2 cup White sugar
1 cup Dark brown sugar
1 cup Butter
2 Eggs
2 tablespoons Honey
2 teaspoons Vanilla
1 1/2 cups Raisins

Preheat oven to 300F. Mix together flour, salt, oatmeal, and baking soda.
Set aside. In the bowl of a mixer, mix the sugars together. Cream together
the sugars and the butter. Add eggs, honey, and vanilla; mix very well.
Add dry ingredients and raisins, mix just until combined.

Drop onto cookie sheet and bake 18-22 minutes. Let cool on pan for about 5
minutes before removing.

Bob

Phred

G'day Bob,

I was curious about your comment "many people have a closed mind about
dates". Is this some American thing? Can't say I've noticed it here
(but perhaps I'm too much the recluse .

Is there a reason for it? (I can only jump to geopolitical "reasons",
such as they grow the things in California.

In article >,
"Bob" > wrote:
[Snipped cookie recipe.]

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Phred

G'day Bob,

I was curious about your comment "many people have a closed mind about
dates". Is this some American thing? Can't say I've noticed it here
(but perhaps I'm too much the recluse .

Is there a reason for it? (I can only jump to geopolitical "reasons",
such as they grow the things in California.

In article >,
"Bob" > wrote:
[Snipped cookie recipe.]

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Bob

Phred wrote:

> I was curious about your comment "many people have a closed mind about
> dates". Is this some American thing? Can't say I've noticed it here
> (but perhaps I'm too much the recluse .
>
> Is there a reason for it? (I can only jump to geopolitical "reasons",
> such as they grow the things in California.

I don't know if it takes place elsewhere. I know it *doesn't* take place in
the Middle East, where dates are favored, but it definitely takes place
here. I can only guess that the reason for it is that people here are more
familiar with raisins and they don't want to try other things.

Bob

Christopher Green

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:25:35 GMT, (Phred)
wrote:

>G'day Bob,
>
>I was curious about your comment "many people have a closed mind about
>dates". Is this some American thing? Can't say I've noticed it here
>(but perhaps I'm too much the recluse .
>
>Is there a reason for it? (I can only jump to geopolitical "reasons",
>such as they grow the things in California.

Maybe something to do with the limited selection and quality of dates
in much of the country? If all you can get is nasty dried-out or
rehydrated supermarket dates, it would probably turn you off to them.

California has a long tradition of date farming (well, long for
California, anyway) and, more recently, large Middle Eastern minority
communities that demand high-quality dates. Thus the quality and
variety of dates available here took my in-laws completely by surprise
when they moved west.

These Date Bars are sort of a filled shortbread. They make up fine
with supermarket dates. But use good dates like Medjool or "Shields
Brunette" and they turn into something quite wonderfully better.

Filling:
3 c. cut-up dates
1/4 c. sugar (even if you have super-sweet dates, use a little sugar
to help the filling set up)
1-1/2 c. water
Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened (about 10
minutes), and set aside to cool.

Preheat oven to 400F.

Dough:
3/4 c. butter (or shortening, if you must)
1 c. brown sugar (or date sugar, if you're lucky enough to have some)
1-3/4 c. all-purpose flour (I prefer unbleached), sifted with:
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1-1/2 c. rolled oats (not instant; quick oats are OK if that's what
you have)
Cream butter and sugar; mix in flour/soda/salt and then oats. The
dough will be crumbly. Grease a 9x13 inch pan and press half the dough
into the pan. Cover with filling, then crumble remaining dough over
the filling; you can pat it lightly to arrange it.

Bake until lightly browned, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cut and remove
from pan when cool enough to handle.

--
Chris Green
Christopher Green

wrote:

>G'day Bob,
>
>I was curious about your comment "many people have a closed mind about
>dates". Is this some American thing? Can't say I've noticed it here
>(but perhaps I'm too much the recluse .
>
>Is there a reason for it? (I can only jump to geopolitical "reasons",
>such as they grow the things in California.

Maybe something to do with the limited selection and quality of dates
in much of the country? If all you can get is nasty dried-out or
rehydrated supermarket dates, it would probably turn you off to them.

California has a long tradition of date farming (well, long for
California, anyway) and, more recently, large Middle Eastern minority
communities that demand high-quality dates. Thus the quality and
variety of dates available here took my in-laws completely by surprise
when they moved west.

These Date Bars are sort of a filled shortbread. They make up fine
with supermarket dates. But use good dates like Medjool or "Shields
Brunette" and they turn into something quite wonderfully better.

Filling:
3 c. cut-up dates
1/4 c. sugar (even if you have super-sweet dates, use a little sugar
to help the filling set up)
1-1/2 c. water
Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened (about 10
minutes), and set aside to cool.

Preheat oven to 400F.

Dough:
3/4 c. butter (or shortening, if you must)
1 c. brown sugar (or date sugar, if you're lucky enough to have some)
1-3/4 c. all-purpose flour (I prefer unbleached), sifted with:
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1-1/2 c. rolled oats (not instant; quick oats are OK if that's what
you have)
Cream butter and sugar; mix in flour/soda/salt and then oats. The
dough will be crumbly. Grease a 9x13 inch pan and press half the dough
into the pan. Cover with filling, then crumble remaining dough over
the filling; you can pat it lightly to arrange it.

Bake until lightly browned, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cut and remove
from pan when cool enough to handle.

--
Chris Green

REC: Oatmeal Cookies #4 Mike Muth General Cooking 0 10-10-2012 03:52 PM
Oatmeal Cookies gregz General Cooking 0 09-06-2012 03:36 AM
Oatmeal cookies notbob General Cooking 3 11-11-2009 12:18 AM
Oatmeal cookies Dave Smith General Cooking 13 03-09-2006 08:02 AM
Oatmeal Cookies palelight General Cooking 1 03-02-2004 09:47 PM