Christopher Green

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:25:35 GMT, (Phred)
wrote:

>G'day Bob,
>
>I was curious about your comment "many people have a closed mind about
>dates". Is this some American thing? Can't say I've noticed it here
>(but perhaps I'm too much the recluse .
>
>Is there a reason for it? (I can only jump to geopolitical "reasons",
>such as they grow the things in California.

Maybe something to do with the limited selection and quality of dates
in much of the country? If all you can get is nasty dried-out or
rehydrated supermarket dates, it would probably turn you off to them.

California has a long tradition of date farming (well, long for
California, anyway) and, more recently, large Middle Eastern minority
communities that demand high-quality dates. Thus the quality and
variety of dates available here took my in-laws completely by surprise
when they moved west.

These Date Bars are sort of a filled shortbread. They make up fine
with supermarket dates. But use good dates like Medjool or "Shields
Brunette" and they turn into something quite wonderfully better.

Filling:
3 c. cut-up dates
1/4 c. sugar (even if you have super-sweet dates, use a little sugar
to help the filling set up)
1-1/2 c. water
Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened (about 10
minutes), and set aside to cool.

Preheat oven to 400F.

Dough:
3/4 c. butter (or shortening, if you must)
1 c. brown sugar (or date sugar, if you're lucky enough to have some)
1-3/4 c. all-purpose flour (I prefer unbleached), sifted with:
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1-1/2 c. rolled oats (not instant; quick oats are OK if that's what
you have)
Cream butter and sugar; mix in flour/soda/salt and then oats. The
dough will be crumbly. Grease a 9x13 inch pan and press half the dough
into the pan. Cover with filling, then crumble remaining dough over
the filling; you can pat it lightly to arrange it.

Bake until lightly browned, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cut and remove
from pan when cool enough to handle.

--
Chris Green