Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ice cream machine question

I got a 1-quart Donvier (non-electric) for $5 at a yard sale (last year?), made chocolate raspberry truffle ice cream with it recently, and it worked beautifully.

But I have to wonder - why DOES anyone with a freezer need to use an ice cream machine to make it? Does it have to do with the texture? If so, what?

Seems to me one could just take a plastic container, put in the cooked mixture, stick it in the freezer and take it out to stir for a few seconds every hour. Yes, that WOULD mean hanging around the house for about four hours or so, but other than that, I don't know what the problem is. (With the Donvier, it took maybe only half an hour of occasional stirring before I transferred the ice cream to a plastic box and put it in the freezer for three hours, according to the Williams-Sonoma recipe. Of course, I was free to leave the house once I did that.)

I'm trying the peppermint stick recipe from The Joy of Cooking right now, but that has a higher percentage of milk, so I'm guessing it won't be that great - but at least it has no eggs and didn't require any cooking. (I DID have to stick the Donvier, with the mixture, back in the freezer after some stirring - the mixture wasn't nearly as thick as with the other recipe. I left it there for three hours, took it out and it was still somewhat liquid in the middle, so I stirred it again every 15 minutes or so, three times, and only then emptied the Donvier into the plastic box to put back in the freezer.)

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Saturday, July 2, 2016 at 1:45:04 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> I got a 1-quart Donvier (non-electric) for $5 at a yard sale (last year?), made chocolate raspberry truffle ice cream with it recently, and it worked beautifully.
>
> But I have to wonder - why DOES anyone with a freezer need to use an ice cream machine to make it? Does it have to do with the texture? If so, what?
>
> Seems to me one could just take a plastic container, put in the cooked mixture, stick it in the freezer and take it out to stir for a few seconds every hour. Yes, that WOULD mean hanging around the house for about four hours or so, but other than that, I don't know what the problem is. (With the Donvier, it took maybe only half an hour of occasional stirring before I transferred the ice cream to a plastic box and put it in the freezer for three hours, according to the Williams-Sonoma recipe. Of course, I was free to leave the house once I did that.)
>
> I'm trying the peppermint stick recipe from The Joy of Cooking right now, but that has a higher percentage of milk, so I'm guessing it won't be that great - but at least it has no eggs and didn't require any cooking. (I DID have to stick the Donvier, with the mixture, back in the freezer after some stirring - the mixture wasn't nearly as thick as with the other recipe. I left it there for three hours, took it out and it was still somewhat liquid in the middle, so I stirred it again every 15 minutes or so, three times, and only then emptied the Donvier into the plastic box to put back in the freezer.)
>

> Lenona.

I've never gotten the creamy texture just stirring often while freezing in the freezer. Only an ice cream maker can get that velvety texture. IMHO.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/2/2016 4:44 PM, wrote:
> I got a 1-quart Donvier (non-electric) for $5 at a yard sale (last year?), made chocolate raspberry truffle ice cream with it recently, and it worked beautifully.
>
> But I have to wonder - why DOES anyone with a freezer need to use an ice cream machine to make it? Does it have to do with the texture? If so, what?
>
> Seems to me one could just take a plastic container, put in the cooked mixture, stick it in the freezer and take it out to stir for a few seconds every hour. Yes, that WOULD mean hanging around the house for about four hours or so, but other than that, I don't know what the problem is. (With the Donvier, it took maybe only half an hour of occasional stirring before I transferred the ice cream to a plastic box and put it in the freezer for three hours, according to the Williams-Sonoma recipe. Of course, I was free to leave the house once I did that.)
>
> I'm trying the peppermint stick recipe from The Joy of Cooking right now, but that has a higher percentage of milk, so I'm guessing it won't be that great - but at least it has no eggs and didn't require any cooking. (I DID have to stick the Donvier, with the mixture, back in the freezer after some stirring - the mixture wasn't nearly as thick as with the other recipe. I left it there for three hours, took it out and it was still somewhat liquid in the middle, so I stirred it again every 15 minutes or so, three times, and only then emptied the Donvier into the plastic box to put back in the freezer.)
>

> Lenona.

That has been done. You will get a dense, harder ice cream. You need
some air mixed in to give it a good texture. The rate that it freezes
makes a difference too. The constant mixing is what makes a difference.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, July 2, 2016 at 1:45:04 PM UTC-7, wrote:
>> I got a 1-quart Donvier (non-electric) for $5 at a yard sale (last
>> year?), made chocolate raspberry truffle ice cream with it recently, and
>> it worked beautifully.
>>
>> But I have to wonder - why DOES anyone with a freezer need to use an ice
>> cream machine to make it? Does it have to do with the texture? If so,
>> what?
>>
>> Seems to me one could just take a plastic container, put in the cooked
>> mixture, stick it in the freezer and take it out to stir for a few
>> seconds every hour. Yes, that WOULD mean hanging around the house for
>> about four hours or so, but other than that, I don't know what the
>> problem is. (With the Donvier, it took maybe only half an hour of
>> occasional stirring before I transferred the ice cream to a plastic box
>> and put it in the freezer for three hours, according to the
>> Williams-Sonoma recipe. Of course, I was free to leave the house once I
>> did that.)
>>
>> I'm trying the peppermint stick recipe from The Joy of Cooking right now,
>> but that has a higher percentage of milk, so I'm guessing it won't be
>> that great - but at least it has no eggs and didn't require any cooking.
>> (I DID have to stick the Donvier, with the mixture, back in the freezer
>> after some stirring - the mixture wasn't nearly as thick as with the
>> other recipe. I left it there for three hours, took it out and it was
>> still somewhat liquid in the middle, so I stirred it again every 15
>> minutes or so, three times, and only then emptied the Donvier into the
>> plastic box to put back in the freezer.)
>>

>> Lenona.

> I've never gotten the creamy texture just stirring often while freezing in
> the freezer. Only an ice cream maker can get that velvety texture. IMHO.

Yes, the same for me.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
I got a 1-quart Donvier (non-electric) for $5 at a yard sale (last year?),
made chocolate raspberry truffle ice cream with it recently, and it worked
beautifully.

But I have to wonder - why DOES anyone with a freezer need to use an ice
cream machine to make it? Does it have to do with the texture? If so, what?

Seems to me one could just take a plastic container, put in the cooked
mixture, stick it in the freezer and take it out to stir for a few seconds
every hour. Yes, that WOULD mean hanging around the house for about four
hours or so, but other than that, I don't know what the problem is. (With
the Donvier, it took maybe only half an hour of occasional stirring before I
transferred the ice cream to a plastic box and put it in the freezer for
three hours, according to the Williams-Sonoma recipe. Of course, I was free
to leave the house once I did that.)

I'm trying the peppermint stick recipe from The Joy of Cooking right now,
but that has a higher percentage of milk, so I'm guessing it won't be that
great - but at least it has no eggs and didn't require any cooking. (I DID
have to stick the Donvier, with the mixture, back in the freezer after some
stirring - the mixture wasn't nearly as thick as with the other recipe. I
left it there for three hours, took it out and it was still somewhat liquid
in the middle, so I stirred it again every 15 minutes or so, three times,
and only then emptied the Donvier into the plastic box to put back in the
freezer.)

Lenona.

---

You'd need to do more stirring than that.

When I was a kid, I made lemon sherbet for guests. I no longer have the
recipe. I thought that it used sweetened condensed milk, but maybe not. I do
remember that it used the lemon zest as well as the juice. And it was poured
into ice cube trays which at the time were metal ones. Had to take the
frozen cubes out of the freezer 2 or 3 times and put through the blender. We
had no food processor.

This recipe is the same concept although most likely not the same exact
recipe.

http://www.food.com/recipe/lemon-ice...m-maker-240173

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 7/2/2016 4:44 PM, wrote:
>> I got a 1-quart Donvier (non-electric) for $5 at a yard sale (last
>> year?), made chocolate raspberry truffle ice cream with it recently, and
>> it worked beautifully.
>>
>> But I have to wonder - why DOES anyone with a freezer need to use an ice
>> cream machine to make it? Does it have to do with the texture? If so,
>> what?
>>
>> Seems to me one could just take a plastic container, put in the cooked
>> mixture, stick it in the freezer and take it out to stir for a few
>> seconds every hour. Yes, that WOULD mean hanging around the house for
>> about four hours or so, but other than that, I don't know what the
>> problem is. (With the Donvier, it took maybe only half an hour of
>> occasional stirring before I transferred the ice cream to a plastic box
>> and put it in the freezer for three hours, according to the
>> Williams-Sonoma recipe. Of course, I was free to leave the house once I
>> did that.)
>>

> When I was a child, my mother made ice cream in metal ice-cube trays
> (minus the metal dividers) - she did just what you suggest, removing the
> tray periodically to stir the mixture around around. The shallow trays
> froze fairly quickly, so it didn't take all that long.

You can also get one of those balls for making small amounts. Or... Make
vegan stuff with frozen bananas as the base. Slice, freeze, put through the
food processor and eat. Can stir in bits of things. Can even make banana
fruit leather and roll into cones.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/3/2016 12:19 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message
>> On 7/2/2016 4:44 PM, wrote:
>>> I got a 1-quart Donvier (non-electric) for $5 at a yard sale (last
>>> year?), made chocolate raspberry truffle ice cream with it recently,
>>> and it worked beautifully.
>>>
>>> But I have to wonder - why DOES anyone with a freezer need to use an
>>> ice cream machine to make it? Does it have to do with the texture? If
>>> so, what?
>>>
>>> Seems to me one could just take a plastic container, put in the
>>> cooked mixture, stick it in the freezer and take it out to stir for a
>>> few seconds every hour. Yes, that WOULD mean hanging around the house
>>> for about four hours or so, but other than that, I don't know what
>>> the problem is. (With the Donvier, it took maybe only half an hour of
>>> occasional stirring before I transferred the ice cream to a plastic
>>> box and put it in the freezer for three hours, according to the
>>> Williams-Sonoma recipe. Of course, I was free to leave the house once
>>> I did that.)
>>>

>> When I was a child, my mother made ice cream in metal ice-cube trays
>> (minus the metal dividers) - she did just what you suggest, removing
>> the tray periodically to stir the mixture around around. The shallow
>> trays froze fairly quickly, so it didn't take all that long.

> You can also get one of those balls for making small amounts. Or... Make
> vegan stuff with frozen bananas as the base. Slice, freeze, put through
> the food processor and eat. Can stir in bits of things. Can even make
> banana fruit leather and roll into cones.

I used to have a recipe, since lost, for chocolate truffles. The
instructions said to melt the ingredients together, then put them into
the freezer in a metal bowl. Turn on a TV show, and stir the container
at every commercial break, until the concoction is stiff enough to hold
it's shape. Spread on a cookie sheet in a layer about 1" thick, and put
back into the freezer for maybe another hour. Cut into 1" cubes, and
roll in unsweetened cocoa powder. Keep in the freezer.

I can't recall the exact proportions, but the ingredients were (I
believe) German's semi-sweet baking chocolate, heavy cream, and
unsweetened butter, in roughly equal proportions. It needed to be kept
in the freezer after finishing because it would melt at room temperature.

It was wonderful stuff, but I left the recipe with my ex when I got
divorced. In any event, the preparation sounds a lot like what is being
discussed here for ice cream without using an ice cream machine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Travis, really, butter in truffles? Are you sure about that? I have
not ever made truffles with butter.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 2, 2016 at 10:45:04 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> I got a 1-quart Donvier (non-electric) for $5 at a yard sale (last year?), made chocolate raspberry truffle ice cream with it recently, and it worked beautifully.
>
> But I have to wonder - why DOES anyone with a freezer need to use an ice cream machine to make it? Does it have to do with the texture? If so, what?
>
> Seems to me one could just take a plastic container, put in the cooked mixture, stick it in the freezer and take it out to stir for a few seconds every hour. Yes, that WOULD mean hanging around the house for about four hours or so, but other than that, I don't know what the problem is. (With the Donvier, it took maybe only half an hour of occasional stirring before I transferred the ice cream to a plastic box and put it in the freezer for three hours, according to the Williams-Sonoma recipe. Of course, I was free to leave the house once I did that.)
>
> I'm trying the peppermint stick recipe from The Joy of Cooking right now, but that has a higher percentage of milk, so I'm guessing it won't be that great - but at least it has no eggs and didn't require any cooking. (I DID have to stick the Donvier, with the mixture, back in the freezer after some stirring - the mixture wasn't nearly as thick as with the other recipe. I left it there for three hours, took it out and it was still somewhat liquid in the middle, so I stirred it again every 15 minutes or so, three times, and only then emptied the Donvier into the plastic box to put back in the freezer.)
>

> Lenona.

My idea is to freeze a block of canned milk and syrup, shave it finely in a shave ice machine, and stir that up and freeze it. I'm going to have to try that one of these days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> Travis, really, butter in truffles? Are you sure about that? I have
> not ever made truffles with butter.
>
> N.

I have.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/9442/ch...e=recipe%20hub

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 2, 2016 at 3:52:41 PM UTC-5, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Saturday, July 2, 2016 at 1:45:04 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> > I got a 1-quart Donvier (non-electric) for $5 at a yard sale (last year?), made chocolate raspberry truffle ice cream with it recently, and it worked beautifully.
> >
> > But I have to wonder - why DOES anyone with a freezer need to use an ice cream machine to make it? Does it have to do with the texture? If so, what?
> >
> > Seems to me one could just take a plastic container, put in the cooked mixture, stick it in the freezer and take it out to stir for a few seconds every hour. Yes, that WOULD mean hanging around the house for about four hours or so, but other than that, I don't know what the problem is. (With the Donvier, it took maybe only half an hour of occasional stirring before I transferred the ice cream to a plastic box and put it in the freezer for three hours, according to the Williams-Sonoma recipe. Of course, I was free to leave the house once I did that.)
> >
> > I'm trying the peppermint stick recipe from The Joy of Cooking right now, but that has a higher percentage of milk, so I'm guessing it won't be that great - but at least it has no eggs and didn't require any cooking. (I DID have to stick the Donvier, with the mixture, back in the freezer after some stirring - the mixture wasn't nearly as thick as with the other recipe. I left it there for three hours, took it out and it was still somewhat liquid in the middle, so I stirred it again every 15 minutes or so, three times, and only then emptied the Donvier into the plastic box to put back in the freezer.)
> >

> > Lenona.

> I've never gotten the creamy texture just stirring often while freezing in the freezer. Only an ice cream maker can get that velvety texture. IMHO..

Yeah, working it as the crystals form is best. Never allow the crystals to coalesce! Keep it smooth!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 2, 2016 at 4:45:04 PM UTC-4, wrote:

> I'm trying the peppermint stick recipe from The Joy of Cooking right now, but that has a higher percentage of milk, so I'm guessing it won't be that great - but at least it has no eggs and didn't require any cooking. (I DID have to stick the Donvier, with the mixture, back in the freezer after some stirring - the mixture wasn't nearly as thick as with the other recipe. I left it there for three hours, took it out and it was still somewhat liquid in the middle, so I stirred it again every 15 minutes or so, three times, and only then emptied the Donvier into the plastic box to put back in the freezer.)

As it turned out, I was right about the high milk percentage changing the texture; it was almost like sherbet! Not what I want in peppermint stick i.c.., even with chocolate sauce.

(BTW, a p.t. frappe with a little chocolate sauce is great.)

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 12:37:46 PM UTC-4, wrote:

> (BTW, a p.t. frappe with a little chocolate sauce is great.)

Whoops - I meant p.s., for peppermint stick, of course!

Also, unless you're making a slightly unusual flavor like that, there's no way it's ever going to be cheaper, per volume, than just BUYING a half-gallon of vanilla or chocolate ice cream. Cream almost never goes on sale, as opposed to milk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 2, 2016 at 4:45:04 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> I got a 1-quart Donvier (non-electric) for $5 at a yard sale (last year?), made chocolate raspberry truffle ice cream with it recently, and it worked beautifully.
>
> But I have to wonder - why DOES anyone with a freezer need to use an ice cream machine to make it? Does it have to do with the texture? If so, what?
>
> Seems to me one could just take a plastic container, put in the cooked mixture, stick it in the freezer and take it out to stir for a few seconds every hour. Yes, that WOULD mean hanging around the house for about four hours or so, but other than that, I don't know what the problem is. (With the Donvier, it took maybe only half an hour of occasional stirring before I transferred the ice cream to a plastic box and put it in the freezer for three hours, according to the Williams-Sonoma recipe. Of course, I was free to leave the house once I did that.)
>
> I'm trying the peppermint stick recipe from The Joy of Cooking right now, but that has a higher percentage of milk, so I'm guessing it won't be that great - but at least it has no eggs and didn't require any cooking. (I DID have to stick the Donvier, with the mixture, back in the freezer after some stirring - the mixture wasn't nearly as thick as with the other recipe. I left it there for three hours, took it out and it was still somewhat liquid in the middle, so I stirred it again every 15 minutes or so, three times, and only then emptied the Donvier into the plastic box to put back in the freezer.)
>

> Lenona.

That is the way to make a granita which is a bit like a sorbet but with ice crystals instead of smooth. Make a fruit juice/sugar solution and place it in a shallow dish in the freezer. Once it starts to freeze stir it to break up the ice that is forming. Do this every 20 minutes. The whole process takes several hours.

Check out recipes on the internet. This makes a wonderful frozen desert.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

When my mom was a kid and it hailed they'd collect the hail that ran off the roof and use it to make ice cream. It didn't matter if the hail was dirty since it didn't come into contact with the ice cream. I asked her if it hailed more back then and she said she thought it did.Hail and tornados go together.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 8, 2016 at 9:32:27 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> When my mom was a kid and it hailed they'd collect the hail that ran off the roof and use it to make ice cream. It didn't matter if the hail was dirty since it didn't come into contact with the ice cream. I asked her if it hailed more back then and she said she thought it did.Hail and tornados go together.

Free ice! :-(

Hail and tornadoes! Some of Mother Nature's most powerful landscape rearrangers!! :-)

John Kuthe...