Posted to rec.food.cooking
Travis McGee Travis McGee is offline

Default Ice cream machine question

On 7/3/2016 12:19 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message
>> On 7/2/2016 4:44 PM, wrote:
>>> I got a 1-quart Donvier (non-electric) for $5 at a yard sale (last
>>> year?), made chocolate raspberry truffle ice cream with it recently,
>>> and it worked beautifully.
>>>
>>> But I have to wonder - why DOES anyone with a freezer need to use an
>>> ice cream machine to make it? Does it have to do with the texture? If
>>> so, what?
>>>
>>> Seems to me one could just take a plastic container, put in the
>>> cooked mixture, stick it in the freezer and take it out to stir for a
>>> few seconds every hour. Yes, that WOULD mean hanging around the house
>>> for about four hours or so, but other than that, I don't know what
>>> the problem is. (With the Donvier, it took maybe only half an hour of
>>> occasional stirring before I transferred the ice cream to a plastic
>>> box and put it in the freezer for three hours, according to the
>>> Williams-Sonoma recipe. Of course, I was free to leave the house once
>>> I did that.)
>>>

>> When I was a child, my mother made ice cream in metal ice-cube trays
>> (minus the metal dividers) - she did just what you suggest, removing
>> the tray periodically to stir the mixture around around. The shallow
>> trays froze fairly quickly, so it didn't take all that long.

> You can also get one of those balls for making small amounts. Or... Make
> vegan stuff with frozen bananas as the base. Slice, freeze, put through
> the food processor and eat. Can stir in bits of things. Can even make
> banana fruit leather and roll into cones.

I used to have a recipe, since lost, for chocolate truffles. The
instructions said to melt the ingredients together, then put them into
the freezer in a metal bowl. Turn on a TV show, and stir the container
at every commercial break, until the concoction is stiff enough to hold
it's shape. Spread on a cookie sheet in a layer about 1" thick, and put
back into the freezer for maybe another hour. Cut into 1" cubes, and
roll in unsweetened cocoa powder. Keep in the freezer.

I can't recall the exact proportions, but the ingredients were (I
believe) German's semi-sweet baking chocolate, heavy cream, and
unsweetened butter, in roughly equal proportions. It needed to be kept
in the freezer after finishing because it would melt at room temperature.

It was wonderful stuff, but I left the recipe with my ex when I got
divorced. In any event, the preparation sounds a lot like what is being
discussed here for ice cream without using an ice cream machine.