Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Leftover Mac & Cheese bitter

Alright, so here's an opportunity to give me some crap

OK. So the other day I made some Mac & Cheese, came out nice but I was
a bit heavy with pepper... but still nice. Was refrigerated. This
morning I reheat it... and it is really quite unmistakably bitter.
Looks and smells fine.

The only real difference with this particular M&C was more pepper than
usual. Can pepper make food taste bitter after some time?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 3:32:18 PM UTC-7, Jeßus wrote:
> Alright, so here's an opportunity to give me some crap
>
> OK. So the other day I made some Mac & Cheese, came out nice but I was
> a bit heavy with pepper... but still nice. Was refrigerated. This
> morning I reheat it... and it is really quite unmistakably bitter.
> Looks and smells fine.
>
> The only real difference with this particular M&C was more pepper than
> usual. Can pepper make food taste bitter after some time?

what cheese(s) did you use? Depend...some cheeses can take on a bitter taste after being cooked and cooled.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 May 2016 15:53:42 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 3:32:18 PM UTC-7, Jeßus wrote:
>> Alright, so here's an opportunity to give me some crap
>>
>> OK. So the other day I made some Mac & Cheese, came out nice but I was
>> a bit heavy with pepper... but still nice. Was refrigerated. This
>> morning I reheat it... and it is really quite unmistakably bitter.
>> Looks and smells fine.
>>
>> The only real difference with this particular M&C was more pepper than
>> usual. Can pepper make food taste bitter after some time?

>what cheese(s) did you use? Depend...some cheeses can take on a bitter taste after being cooked and cooled.

Colby cheese Mags, never thought about the cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/23/2016 4:32 PM, Je�us wrote:
> Can pepper make food taste bitter after some time?

Can you LEAVE this group FOREVER!

GO AWAY!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-05-23, Jeßus > wrote:

> Can pepper make food taste bitter after some time?

If it's cheapo preground sprmkt pepper.

Try using white pepper or red pepper (like on pizzas) fer the original
bake. Grind fresh black pepper on the M&C after it's been heated. I
like lotsa salt, too. Not good fer ya', I know, but tastes great!

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/23/2016 5:34 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2016-05-23, Jeßus > wrote:
>

>> Can pepper make food taste bitter after some time?

> If it's cheapo preground sprmkt pepper.
>
> Try using white pepper or red pepper (like on pizzas) fer the original
> bake. Grind fresh black pepper on the M&C after it's been heated. I
> like lotsa salt, too. Not good fer ya', I know, but tastes great!
>
> nb

My vote is for quality green peppercorns.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23 May 2016 23:34:13 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2016-05-23, Jeßus > wrote:
>> Can pepper make food taste bitter after some time?

>If it's cheapo preground sprmkt pepper.

Noted. I used whole mixed coloured peppercorns which I ground in a
mortar and pestle as I made the M&C.

>Try using white pepper or red pepper (like on pizzas) fer the original
>bake. Grind fresh black pepper on the M&C after it's been heated. I
>like lotsa salt, too. Not good fer ya', I know, but tastes great!

It does indeed!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/23/2016 5:44 PM, Je�us wrote:
> I want to be ground in a mortar and pestle

Well...we'd need to start with small chunks of you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/23/2016 6:32 PM, Je�us wrote:
> Alright, so here's an opportunity to give me some crap
>
> OK. So the other day I made some Mac & Cheese, came out nice but I was
> a bit heavy with pepper... but still nice. Was refrigerated. This
> morning I reheat it... and it is really quite unmistakably bitter.
> Looks and smells fine.
>
> The only real difference with this particular M&C was more pepper than
> usual. Can pepper make food taste bitter after some time?

I've never had that happen, but I think pepper is one of the seasonings
that can become stronger when allowed to sit and disperse into all of
the other ingredients? I'm not sure but if you find out what it was
please let us know?

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/23/2016 7:18 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Mon, 23 May 2016 15:53:42 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
>
>> On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 3:32:18 PM UTC-7, Jeßus wrote:
>>> Alright, so here's an opportunity to give me some crap
>>>
>>> OK. So the other day I made some Mac & Cheese, came out nice but I was
>>> a bit heavy with pepper... but still nice. Was refrigerated. This
>>> morning I reheat it... and it is really quite unmistakably bitter.
>>> Looks and smells fine.
>>>
>>> The only real difference with this particular M&C was more pepper than
>>> usual. Can pepper make food taste bitter after some time?

>> what cheese(s) did you use? Depend...some cheeses can take on a bitter taste after being cooked and cooled.

> Colby cheese Mags, never thought about the cheese.

That's the only cheese I use for M&C.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 May 2016 19:54:44 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 5/23/2016 6:32 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> Alright, so here's an opportunity to give me some crap
>>
>> OK. So the other day I made some Mac & Cheese, came out nice but I was
>> a bit heavy with pepper... but still nice. Was refrigerated. This
>> morning I reheat it... and it is really quite unmistakably bitter.
>> Looks and smells fine.
>>
>> The only real difference with this particular M&C was more pepper than
>> usual. Can pepper make food taste bitter after some time?
>>

>I've never had that happen, but I think pepper is one of the seasonings
>that can become stronger when allowed to sit and disperse into all of
>the other ingredients? I'm not sure but if you find out what it was
>please let us know?

Will do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/23/2016 6:19 PM, Je�us wrote:
>> find out what it was
>> >please let us know?

> Will do.

Suckup...suckup...suckup...

You lonely old rabbit-killer!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 May 2016 20:16:05 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 5/23/2016 7:18 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 May 2016 15:53:42 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>> > wrote:

>>> what cheese(s) did you use? Depend...some cheeses can take on a bitter taste after being cooked and cooled.

>> Colby cheese Mags, never thought about the cheese.
>>

>That's the only cheese I use for M&C.

Hmm, well that discounts the cheese then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 May 2016 08:32:03 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>Alright, so here's an opportunity to give me some crap
>
>OK. So the other day I made some Mac & Cheese, came out nice but I was
>a bit heavy with pepper... but still nice. Was refrigerated. This
>morning I reheat it... and it is really quite unmistakably bitter.
>Looks and smells fine.
>
>The only real difference with this particular M&C was more pepper than
>usual. Can pepper make food taste bitter after some time?

sounds like sour milk to me.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 May 2016 16:20:52 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

>On Tue, 24 May 2016 08:32:03 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>Alright, so here's an opportunity to give me some crap
>>
>>OK. So the other day I made some Mac & Cheese, came out nice but I was
>>a bit heavy with pepper... but still nice. Was refrigerated. This
>>morning I reheat it... and it is really quite unmistakably bitter.
>>Looks and smells fine.
>>
>>The only real difference with this particular M&C was more pepper than
>>usual. Can pepper make food taste bitter after some time?

>sounds like sour milk to me.

That's a possibility I suppose, it certainly wasn't sour to begin with
but maybe it was close to being on the turn? Even so, I've never quite
encountered bitterness like that from sour milk before. The bitterness
was really quite strong. I swallowed a teaspoon full of it at the time
of my OP, I guess it wasn't botulism because I still feel perfectly ok

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I call it blinky milk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 7:20:19 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> On 5/23/2016 4:32 PM, Je�us wrote:
> > Can pepper make food taste bitter after some time?

> Can you LEAVE this group FOREVER!
>
> GO AWAY!

RUDE ^^
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 2:29:43 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:

> >> Can you LEAVE this group FOREVER!
> >>
> >> GO AWAY!

> > RUDE ^^
> >

> How nice of you to pop up from 2016 to add your two cents.
>
> Jill

Just goes to show that what you put on the internet stays there.. FOREVER. Make sure it reflects how you want to be known.