Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking with White Zinfandel?

A neighbor gifted me with a box of white zinfandel wine before heading
back to his home up north. This isn't one of the wines I care to drink.
I figured perhaps I can use it in cooking. Before googling and coming
up with a ton of untried recipes I thought I'd ask here. Any suggestions?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2016 12:10 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> A neighbor gifted me with a box of white zinfandel wine before heading
> back to his home up north. This isn't one of the wines I care to drink.
> I figured perhaps I can use it in cooking. Before googling and coming
> up with a ton of untried recipes I thought I'd ask here. Any suggestions?
>
> Jill

Sheldon's birds?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/04/2016 12:10 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> A neighbor gifted me with a box of white zinfandel wine before heading
> back to his home up north. This isn't one of the wines I care to drink.
> I figured perhaps I can use it in cooking. Before googling and coming
> up with a ton of untried recipes I thought I'd ask here. Any suggestions?
>
> Jill

I've poached chicken breasts in white wine with a few sprigs of
tarragon. After removing the cooked chicken, I boiled down the liquid by
half and then thickened it with cream.

You can also use a few TBSPs on fish baked in foil or parchment.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 1:11:05 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> A neighbor gifted me with a box of white zinfandel wine before heading
> back to his home up north. This isn't one of the wines I care to drink.
> I figured perhaps I can use it in cooking. Before googling and coming
> up with a ton of untried recipes I thought I'd ask here. Any suggestions?
>
> Jill

They peel Zinfandel grapes before they make "white Zinfandel".

I discovered this years ago when I ordered a Zinfandel wine in a restaurant and it was RED! Did a little research...

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 2:11:05 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> A neighbor gifted me with a box of white zinfandel wine before heading
> back to his home up north. This isn't one of the wines I care to drink.
> I figured perhaps I can use it in cooking. Before googling and coming
> up with a ton of untried recipes I thought I'd ask here. Any suggestions?
>
> Jill

By "white zinfandel" do you meant that somewhat sweet, pink stuff?
My husband likes it when he make spaghetti sauce; he doesn't have
to add sugar to temper the tartness of the tomatoes.

I don't think I'd care for it in normal "white wine" recipes.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2016 2:27 PM, graham wrote:
> On 22/04/2016 12:10 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> A neighbor gifted me with a box of white zinfandel wine before heading
>> back to his home up north. This isn't one of the wines I care to drink.
>> I figured perhaps I can use it in cooking. Before googling and coming
>> up with a ton of untried recipes I thought I'd ask here. Any
>> suggestions?
>>
>> Jill

> I've poached chicken breasts in white wine with a few sprigs of
> tarragon. After removing the cooked chicken, I boiled down the liquid by
> half and then thickened it with cream.
>
> You can also use a few TBSPs on fish baked in foil or parchment.
> Graham

Thanks, Graham. This wine is classified as a blush wine, I suppose.
I've cooked many things over the years with different types of white
wines but never with this. I suppose I'll have to taste it to see how
sweet it is and react accordingly.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2016 12:35 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/22/2016 2:27 PM, graham wrote:
>> On 22/04/2016 12:10 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> A neighbor gifted me with a box of white zinfandel wine before heading
>>> back to his home up north. This isn't one of the wines I care to drink.
>>> I figured perhaps I can use it in cooking. Before googling and coming
>>> up with a ton of untried recipes I thought I'd ask here. Any
>>> suggestions?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I've poached chicken breasts in white wine with a few sprigs of
>> tarragon. After removing the cooked chicken, I boiled down the liquid by
>> half and then thickened it with cream.
>>
>> You can also use a few TBSPs on fish baked in foil or parchment.
>> Graham

> Thanks, Graham. This wine is classified as a blush wine, I suppose.
> I've cooked many things over the years with different types of white
> wines but never with this. I suppose I'll have to taste it to see how
> sweet it is and react accordingly.
>
> Jill

http://www.amazon.com/Frugal-Gourmet.../dp/0688058523

The Frugal Gourmet Cooks with Wine Hardcover €“ September, 1986
by Jeff Smith

398 Used from $0.01

"The Frugal Gourmet Cooks With Wine." Includes over 400 recipes and tips
on choosing, storing, and matching food with wine. Black-and-white
illustrations.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 2:11:05 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> A neighbor gifted me with a box of white zinfandel wine before heading
> back to his home up north. This isn't one of the wines I care to drink.
> I figured perhaps I can use it in cooking. Before googling and coming
> up with a ton of untried recipes I thought I'd ask here. Any suggestions?
>
> Jill

The challenge is that white Zinfandel is very sweet. Given this, I would expect it to go best with spicy or sour dishes. Having said this I'm not sure what the result would taste like without trying it.

It may be nice in a sweet sauce for duck or pork or for a desert.

I would not use it in dishes that traditionally use a dry wine.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2016 2:34 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 2:11:05 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> A neighbor gifted me with a box of white zinfandel wine before heading
>> back to his home up north. This isn't one of the wines I care to drink.
>> I figured perhaps I can use it in cooking. Before googling and coming
>> up with a ton of untried recipes I thought I'd ask here. Any suggestions?
>>
>> Jill

> By "white zinfandel" do you meant that somewhat sweet, pink stuff?
> My husband likes it when he make spaghetti sauce; he doesn't have
> to add sugar to temper the tartness of the tomatoes.
>
> I don't think I'd care for it in normal "white wine" recipes.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Yeah, it's pink. I suppose you could classify it as blush.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/04/2016 12:35 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/22/2016 2:27 PM, graham wrote:
>> On 22/04/2016 12:10 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> A neighbor gifted me with a box of white zinfandel wine before heading
>>> back to his home up north. This isn't one of the wines I care to drink.
>>> I figured perhaps I can use it in cooking. Before googling and coming
>>> up with a ton of untried recipes I thought I'd ask here. Any
>>> suggestions?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I've poached chicken breasts in white wine with a few sprigs of
>> tarragon. After removing the cooked chicken, I boiled down the liquid by
>> half and then thickened it with cream.
>>
>> You can also use a few TBSPs on fish baked in foil or parchment.
>> Graham

> Thanks, Graham. This wine is classified as a blush wine, I suppose.
> I've cooked many things over the years with different types of white
> wines but never with this. I suppose I'll have to taste it to see how
> sweet it is and react accordingly.
>
> Jill

If it's sweet, drink it with curry! :-)
Otherwise, flush the blush!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 3:13:32 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:

> Yeah, it's pink. I suppose you could classify it as blush.
>
> Jill

A very poor sweet blush.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 2:33:36 PM UTC-5, Helpful person wrote:
> On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 3:13:32 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> > >

> > Yeah, it's pink. I suppose you could classify it as blush.
> >
> > Jill

> A very poor sweet blush.
>
> http://www.richardfisher.com

Candy wine!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-04-22, jmcquown > wrote:

> Yeah, it's pink. I suppose you could classify it as blush.

The term "blush" is often applied to inexpensive pool wines.
Wines made by mixing whatever ya' got.

Real Zinfandel is a dark red wine with a high alcohol content. I've
seen Zins as high as 17% abv. It's a heavy red, like an Italian
Classico Chianti (which some believe is the true ancestor of zin).

White Zin is a mixture of pool wines, both red and white, so comes out
pink. It's usually bunk, so pays yer money (or not!) and takes yer
chances and enjoy a "created" (or "girls") wine.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 2:52:40 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> On 2016-04-22, jmcquown > wrote:
>
> > Yeah, it's pink. I suppose you could classify it as blush.

> The term "blush" is often applied to inexpensive pool wines.
> Wines made by mixing whatever ya' got.
>
> Real Zinfandel is a dark red wine with a high alcohol content. I've
> seen Zins as high as 17% abv. It's a heavy red, like an Italian
> Classico Chianti (which some believe is the true ancestor of zin).
>
> White Zin is a mixture of pool wines, both red and white, so comes out
> pink. It's usually bunk, so pays yer money (or not!) and takes yer
> chances and enjoy a "created" (or "girls") wine.
>
> nb

Yep! I LOVE Zinfandel wines too. Not so much that candy wine crap!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2016 2:51 PM, Helpful person wrote:

> It may be nice in a sweet sauce for duck or pork or for a desert.
>
> I would not use it in dishes that traditionally use a dry wine.
>
> http://www.richardfisher.com

Agree. I wonder how it would be for poaching pears.

Or add some fruit and berries and chill it to sip on a warm evening.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 12:11:05 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:
> A neighbor gifted me with a box of white zinfandel wine before heading
> back to his home up north. This isn't one of the wines I care to drink.
> I figured perhaps I can use it in cooking. Before googling and coming
> up with a ton of untried recipes I thought I'd ask here. Any suggestions?
>
> Jill

I would just put it on ice and invite my boozer friends and have a party. Most postings say its cheap crap so live it up and slurp it down. Problem solved.
====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/04/2016 1:33 PM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 3:13:32 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>>

>> Yeah, it's pink. I suppose you could classify it as blush.
>>
>> Jill

> A very poor sweet blush.
>
> http://www.richardfisher.com

A venal zin?
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 4:23:36 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 4/22/2016 2:51 PM, Helpful person wrote:
>
> > It may be nice in a sweet sauce for duck or pork or for a desert.
> >
> > I would not use it in dishes that traditionally use a dry wine.
> >
> > http://www.richardfisher.com
> >

> Agree. I wonder how it would be for poaching pears.
>
> Or add some fruit and berries and chill it to sip on a warm evening.

Probably not very good. As it's a poor ingredient its flavor needs to get lost amongst other stronger ingredients.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2016 4:25 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 12:11:05 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> A neighbor gifted me with a box of white zinfandel wine before heading
>> back to his home up north. This isn't one of the wines I care to drink.
>> I figured perhaps I can use it in cooking. Before googling and coming
>> up with a ton of untried recipes I thought I'd ask here. Any suggestions?
>>
>> Jill

> I would just put it on ice and invite my boozer friends and have a party. Most postings say its cheap crap so live it up and slurp it down. Problem solved.
> ====

I'd rather not, thank you.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 15:13:26 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/22/2016 2:34 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 2:11:05 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>> A neighbor gifted me with a box of white zinfandel wine before heading
>>> back to his home up north. This isn't one of the wines I care to drink.
>>> I figured perhaps I can use it in cooking. Before googling and coming
>>> up with a ton of untried recipes I thought I'd ask here. Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> By "white zinfandel" do you meant that somewhat sweet, pink stuff?
>> My husband likes it when he make spaghetti sauce; he doesn't have
>> to add sugar to temper the tartness of the tomatoes.
>>
>> I don't think I'd care for it in normal "white wine" recipes.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>Yeah, it's pink. I suppose you could classify it as blush.
>
>Jill

Your best bet is to find someone who actually likes it and re-gift it

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 16:23:33 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 4/22/2016 2:51 PM, Helpful person wrote:
>
>> It may be nice in a sweet sauce for duck or pork or for a desert.
>>
>> I would not use it in dishes that traditionally use a dry wine.
>>
>> http://www.richardfisher.com
>>

>Agree. I wonder how it would be for poaching pears.
>
>Or add some fruit and berries and chill it to sip on a warm evening.

I feel the pears need a good hearty red, insipid with a blush.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 14:32:45 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 22/04/2016 1:33 PM, Helpful person wrote:
>> On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 3:13:32 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>>>
>>> Yeah, it's pink. I suppose you could classify it as blush.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> A very poor sweet blush.
>>
>> http://www.richardfisher.com
>>

>A venal zin?
>Graham

Lol - good one!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2016 2:32 PM, graham wrote:
> On 22/04/2016 1:33 PM, Helpful person wrote:
>> On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 3:13:32 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>>>
>>> Yeah, it's pink. I suppose you could classify it as blush.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> A very poor sweet blush.
>>
>> http://www.richardfisher.com
>>

> A venal zin?
> Graham

+1!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/16 2:10 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> A neighbor gifted me with a box of white zinfandel wine before heading
> back to his home up north. This isn't one of the wines I care to drink.
> I figured perhaps I can use it in cooking....

You could make decent sangria with it...

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 14:10:56 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> A neighbor gifted me with a box of white zinfandel wine before heading
> back to his home up north. This isn't one of the wines I care to drink.
> I figured perhaps I can use it in cooking. Before googling and coming
> up with a ton of untried recipes I thought I'd ask here. Any suggestions?

IMO - it's too sweet to cook with unless it's some sort of a dessert.
Don't ask me for a recipe. Use it for sangria or wine spritzers.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 3:28:48 PM UTC-5, yeahright wrote:
> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>
> >A neighbor gifted me with a box of white zinfandel wine before heading back
> >to his home up north. This isn't one of the wines I care to drink. I
> >figured perhaps I can use it in cooking. Before googling and coming up
> >with a ton of untried recipes I thought I'd ask here. Any suggestions?

> >Jill

> White zin generally has sugar added. The wonderful dark skins of the zin
> grape have been stripped off and the wine sweetened. It's for wimps, and I
> would avoid cooking with it.
>
> To restate, it's crap.
>
> MartyB

Basically white zin is little girl's wine! Candy sweet!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2016 10:34 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> [...]
> heard the same thing at least 2,000 times by now."
>
> -sw
>
> "OK, so it's your planet so I guess you get to define what all teens on
> Planet Bove eat. We'll need to add this to the Planet Bove Wikipedia
> entry: "Teenagers on Planet Bove only eat chicken strips, fries, and
> baby carrots".
>
> -sw
>
> "Incredible. And you STILL don't shut up."
>
> -sw
>
> I thought you were here just to talk about cooking? You've only said
> that at least 25 times, yet 95% of the flack you get is about
> off-topic subjects.
>
> -sw
>
> Way to go, Julie! You beat her down into speechlessness.
>
> -sw
>

> "Why do you even bother posting if that's all you have to say? We've
> heard the same thing at least 2,000 times by now."
>
> -sw
>

> "Incredible. And you STILL don't shut up."
>
> -sw
>
> I thought you were here just to talk about cooking? You've only said
> that at least 25 times, yet 95% of the flack you get is about
> off-topic subjects.
>
> -sw
>
> Way to go, Julie! You beat her down into speechlessness.
>
> -sw
>
> I didn't think Julie was even capable of using the phone.
>
> -sw
>
> You seem to have a problem remembering things. Maybe you should have
> written down the once you realized you liked it.
>
> -sw
>
> Wow. She catches on quick when her mind isn't clouded by irrational
> spite.
>
> -sw
>
> Congratulations! Your post has been approved by Julie.
>
> [High Five]
>
> -sw
>
> Yeah, I see tuna and cheddar on pizza every time I visit Planet Bove.
>
> -sw
>
> You can't rent this stuff at Red Box.
>
> -sw
>
> You tell him Julie!
>
> <snort>
>
> -sw
>
> That wasn't your original argument. Your argument was that you
> couldn't remember where you got them. Then when somebody tells you
> how to solve that problem, you come up with a different argument to
> explain why the proposed solution won't work.
>
> Same 'ol song and dance.
>
> -sw
>
> <snip rest unread>
>
> -sw
>
> So WTF are you basing your unfounded theories on? Angela was about 3
> years old and you had left grade school decades earlier. What would
> have been your direct experience with the New York public school
> system in the early 2000's?
>
> -sw
>
> What I'm trying to say is that Julie is full of shit again. It's
> amazing how much time Julie spends describing her miserable fantasy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>A neighbor gifted me with a box of white zinfandel wine before heading back
>to his home up north. This isn't one of the wines I care to drink. I
>figured perhaps I can use it in cooking. Before googling and coming up
>with a ton of untried recipes I thought I'd ask here. Any suggestions?

It is not a wine suitable for cooking. You can possibly poach fruit in it.
Give it away to a homeless shelter.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> >A neighbor gifted me with a box of white zinfandel wine before heading back
> >to his home up north. This isn't one of the wines I care to drink. I
> >figured perhaps I can use it in cooking. Before googling and coming up
> >with a ton of untried recipes I thought I'd ask here. Any suggestions?
> >

> It is not a wine suitable for cooking. You can possibly poach fruit in it.
> Give it away to a homeless shelter.

Not true. Send it to me and I'll cook good things with it. What a
silly question.

Old saying is, "If it's not good enough to drink, don't cook with it."
Well, that's bs.
If it's good enough to drink then drink it and don't waste it on
cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/23/2016 10:36 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> A neighbor gifted me with a box of white zinfandel wine before heading back
>> to his home up north. This isn't one of the wines I care to drink. I
>> figured perhaps I can use it in cooking. Before googling and coming up
>> with a ton of untried recipes I thought I'd ask here. Any suggestions?
>>

> It is not a wine suitable for cooking. You can possibly poach fruit in it.
> Give it away to a homeless shelter.

I'm ready to guzzle!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 1:28:48 PM UTC-7, yeahright wrote:
> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>
> >A neighbor gifted me with a box of white zinfandel wine before heading back
> >to his home up north. This isn't one of the wines I care to drink. I
> >figured perhaps I can use it in cooking. Before googling and coming up
> >with a ton of untried recipes I thought I'd ask here. Any suggestions?

> >Jill

> White zin generally has sugar added. The wonderful dark skins of the zin
> grape have been stripped off and the wine sweetened. It's for wimps, and I
> would avoid cooking with it.
>
> To restate, it's crap.

No sugar can be added to California White Zin, and where else
does White Zin come from?

Sugar can only be added to sparkling wines in California, to produce
the secondary fermentation. Per the California Code of
Regulations:

§ 17010. Provisions Applicable to Wine Produced in California.
17 CA ADC § 17010BARCLAYS OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS
Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness
Title 17. Public Health
Division 1. State Department of Health Services
Chapter 5. Sanitation (Environmental)
Subchapter 2. Foods and Drugs
Group 2. Definitions and Standards
Article 14. Wine Standards and Prohibited Practices (Refs & Annos)
17 CCR § 17010
§ 17010. Provisions Applicable to Wine Produced in California.
The following provisions shall apply to wines produced in California:
(a) Sugar Use. No sugar, or material containing sugar, other than pure condensed grape must, and no water in excess of the minimum amount necessary to facilitate normal fermentation, may be used in the production or cellar treatment of any grape wine except:

Island Mists White Zinfandel/Whites in genearl Joel Sprague Winemaking 7 21-08-2005 01:34 AM
Question - Making Wine for a Kit - BK White Zinfandel Brandon Winemaking 7 29-04-2004 04:58 PM
Bitter white Zinfandel Michael Piacentini Winemaking 9 01-04-2004 07:04 PM
White Zinfandel BooBoo Winemaking 9 16-02-2004 03:27 AM
"White Zinfandel. what a waste E. Carl Speros Wine 2 13-12-2003 12:30 PM