Brandon

Default Question - Making Wine for a Kit - BK White Zinfandel

Everything has been progressing well, I think. I'm only on day 8 of my wine
kit and have a few questions.

The primary fermentation has been very steady, even after racking the wine,
which the kit instructions stated to do when the wine reached an SP of
1.010, which was today. The wine is still fermenting and should continue
until the SP reaches about .996 or less, at which point I'm instructed to
stabilize the wine and use the F-Pack.

One thing I've been noticing is that the wine is becoming more cloudy, more
so then it was when I started and there was not much sediment when I racked
it, virtually none. Is this normal? I'm also concerned about a little foam
(nice white foam) on top of the wine, which appeared about the fourth day of
fermentation. I think this started when I began stirring the wine, which
was done from day 2 to 4, gentle stirring, nothing too serious, but each
time I expose the wine to air it seems to worsen..a little more foam. The
foam is about 1/2 inch high. I've been very meticulous about cleaning
everything that has come into contact with the wine in any way, but I've
read a few posts describing bacteria, although most all of them were
referring to wine that had sat around awhile. Should I worry, or could this
be CO2 or is it too early to tell?

Day Specific Gravity Temp
1 1.080 76 F
2 Didn't Check 72 F
3 1.060 76 F
4 1.050 74 F
5 1.040 72 F
6 1.030 74 F
7 1.020 74 F
8 1.010 74 F (Racked)

Brandon

Ray

Sounds like everything is proceeding fine. The foam is just CO2 which is
released by the fermentation process. There will be some foaming when it
just sits there and a lot if you stir it. The wine is super saturated with
CO2. Any disturbance and it releases a bunch.

The cloudiness is probably just suspended yeast and other particles. The
wine is super saturated with CO2 which can come out of solution in contact
with particles. The CO2 then carries the particle toward the surface where
the tiny bubble pops, releasing the particle to float back down toward the
bottom. It is even circulating the betonite you probably added. When
fermentation ends, all these particles will start finally settling to the
bottom and the wine will clear in a few days to a few months. For kit wines
it is usually clear in a week or so. Once fermentation ends (the airlock
stops) let it set for 2 weeks before racking.

Ray

"Brandon" > wrote in message
> Everything has been progressing well, I think. I'm only on day 8 of my

wine
> kit and have a few questions.
>
> The primary fermentation has been very steady, even after racking the

wine,
> which the kit instructions stated to do when the wine reached an SP of
> 1.010, which was today. The wine is still fermenting and should continue
> until the SP reaches about .996 or less, at which point I'm instructed to
> stabilize the wine and use the F-Pack.
>
> One thing I've been noticing is that the wine is becoming more cloudy,

more
> so then it was when I started and there was not much sediment when I

racked
> it, virtually none. Is this normal? I'm also concerned about a little

foam
> (nice white foam) on top of the wine, which appeared about the fourth day

of
> fermentation. I think this started when I began stirring the wine, which
> was done from day 2 to 4, gentle stirring, nothing too serious, but each
> time I expose the wine to air it seems to worsen..a little more foam. The
> foam is about 1/2 inch high. I've been very meticulous about cleaning
> everything that has come into contact with the wine in any way, but I've
> read a few posts describing bacteria, although most all of them were
> referring to wine that had sat around awhile. Should I worry, or could

this
> be CO2 or is it too early to tell?
>
> Day Specific Gravity Temp
> 1 1.080 76 F
> 2 Didn't Check 72 F
> 3 1.060 76 F
> 4 1.050 74 F
> 5 1.040 72 F
> 6 1.030 74 F
> 7 1.020 74 F
> 8 1.010 74 F (Racked)
>
> Brandon

Tom

Brandon,

Things are progressing nicely, now comes the hard part. Follow this
exactly.. Place your carboy in a nice cool location away from light and
start a second kit.

In about a month rack the first one wine off the lees that settled into
another carboy. Go ahead and add the Sorbate, sulphite and F-Pack that
came with your kit. Top with like wine or water, check your air lock and
forget it for another 3 months. Start 3rd kit.

Rack original kit one more time. Should be clear by now, if not check you
levels and put it away. Don't tinker.....Check in another 30 days

Time is a wines best friend from this point on.... You can bottle or age
longer if you like. Get a few kits going and in different stages but manage
the same. Don't rush it. These wine in 30 days instructions are based on
our increasing impatient society. I call it the FedEx effect (I need it
now!!!) You wouldn't buy a wine that was made just 30 days ago so why do
that to your own creations?

Welcome to the hobby!

Tom
"Brandon" > wrote in message
> Everything has been progressing well, I think. I'm only on day 8 of my

wine
> kit and have a few questions.
>
> The primary fermentation has been very steady, even after racking the

wine,
> which the kit instructions stated to do when the wine reached an SP of
> 1.010, which was today. The wine is still fermenting and should continue
> until the SP reaches about .996 or less, at which point I'm instructed to
> stabilize the wine and use the F-Pack.
>
> One thing I've been noticing is that the wine is becoming more cloudy,

more
> so then it was when I started and there was not much sediment when I

racked
> it, virtually none. Is this normal? I'm also concerned about a little

foam
> (nice white foam) on top of the wine, which appeared about the fourth day

of
> fermentation. I think this started when I began stirring the wine, which
> was done from day 2 to 4, gentle stirring, nothing too serious, but each
> time I expose the wine to air it seems to worsen..a little more foam. The
> foam is about 1/2 inch high. I've been very meticulous about cleaning
> everything that has come into contact with the wine in any way, but I've
> read a few posts describing bacteria, although most all of them were
> referring to wine that had sat around awhile. Should I worry, or could

this
> be CO2 or is it too early to tell?
>
> Day Specific Gravity Temp
> 1 1.080 76 F
> 2 Didn't Check 72 F
> 3 1.060 76 F
> 4 1.050 74 F
> 5 1.040 72 F
> 6 1.030 74 F
> 7 1.020 74 F
> 8 1.010 74 F (Racked)
>
> Brandon

Alfonse

Hi,
It's definitely better to age wine as long as possible. What I did a few
years ago when I was completely out of wine :-( (I moved and never got
around to it), was to make one 6 week kit and bottled it according to the
instructions for immediate consumption. The rest of my wine was allowed to
bulk age for 1 year prior to drinking it. That way you have an OK wine to
drink now and better wines to drink when that first batch is gone. I've got
a banana wine that is only 3 months old and the waiting part is definitely
hard as I have never made it before and I am anxious to see how it tastes!

Al

"Tom" > wrote in message
> [...]

> racked
> > it, virtually none. Is this normal? I'm also concerned about a little

> foam
> > (nice white foam) on top of the wine, which appeared about the fourth

day
> of
> > fermentation. I think this started when I began stirring the wine,

which
> > was done from day 2 to 4, gentle stirring, nothing too serious, but each
> > time I expose the wine to air it seems to worsen..a little more foam.

The
> > foam is about 1/2 inch high. I've been very meticulous about cleaning
> > everything that has come into contact with the wine in any way, but I've
> > read a few posts describing bacteria, although most all of them were
> > referring to wine that had sat around awhile. Should I worry, or could

Brandon

Thanks all - I feel better now :-)

Ray

I have 550 bottles going back as much as 5 years and 100+ gal's bulk aging
going back as much as 3 years. Even with an inventory that large it is hard
to wait on each new batch. This is a tough hobby!

Just remember, age is a plus up to a certain point. Most wines do have an
optimal window of maturity beyond which they decline. For some that may be
18 months. For others it may be 18 years. No rule works universally and
that includes aging wines. Drink them when they are good. Don't wait for
them to go bad.

Ray

"Alfonse" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]

little
> > foam
> > > (nice white foam) on top of the wine, which appeared about the fourth

> day
> > of
> > > fermentation. I think this started when I began stirring the wine,

> which
> > > was done from day 2 to 4, gentle stirring, nothing too serious, but

each
> > > time I expose the wine to air it seems to worsen..a little more foam.

> The
> > > foam is about 1/2 inch high. I've been very meticulous about cleaning
> > > everything that has come into contact with the wine in any way, but

I've
> > > read a few posts describing bacteria, although most all of them were
> > > referring to wine that had sat around awhile. Should I worry, or

Alfonse

550 bottles? Ok, I'm jealous..... but I hope to catch up some day!
Al

"Ray" > wrote in message
. com...
> [...]

> > > came with your kit. Top with like wine or water, check your air lock

> and
> > > forget it for another 3 months. Start 3rd kit.
> > >
> > > Rack original kit one more time. Should be clear by now, if not check

> you
> > > levels and put it away. Don't tinker.....Check in another 30 days
> > >
> > > Time is a wines best friend from this point on.... You can bottle or

> age
> > > longer if you like. Get a few kits going and in different stages but

> > manage
> > > the same. Don't rush it. These wine in 30 days instructions are

based
> on
> > > our increasing impatient society. I call it the FedEx effect (I need

> it
> > > now!!!) You wouldn't buy a wine that was made just 30 days ago so why

Ray

The question perhaps should be: Are you trying to catch up? or am I
falling behind!

Ray

.. .