Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tamales all gone

Bummer. My daughter sent us a gift pack of tamales. She said they
were close to what she and her family got when they lived in New
Mexico for awhile. Her husband (Colorado native) was pleased with
them.
https://tucsontamale.com/store/gift-packages/

They were darn good. I'm thinking about ordering another set for us.
Lots of filling, lots of taste. I didn't care so much for the sweet
pumpkin. The vegetarian ones were good. Loved the pork and chicken
and anything with green chili's. I can't decide But I can order two
of the smaller packs for the same price as the larger $96 one and
avoid the sweet pumpkin. decisions . . .
I'm afraid to order the 'hot' ones - - they may be beyond my comfort
zone.
I only know these tamales were far different and better than what I
get at local Mexican places

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 12:06:24 PM UTC-5, Janet B wrote:

> Bummer. My daughter sent us a gift pack of tamales. She said they
> were close to what she and her family got when they lived in New
> Mexico for awhile. Her husband (Colorado native) was pleased with
> them.
> https://tucsontamale.com/store/gift-packages/
>
> They were darn good. I'm thinking about ordering another set for us.
> Lots of filling, lots of taste.
>
> Janet US

Last Fall I made some homemade beef tamales after watching
the ATK (or was it Cook Country?)episode. A bit labor
intensive but darn tasty. The only mistake I made was
a bit too much salt as I used regular table salt instead
of Kosher salt.

I went to the local Mexican market and bought my corn
husks. The clerk was very helpful in which brand to
use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2016-04-19 17:06:24 +0000, Janet B said:

> Bummer. My daughter sent us a gift pack of tamales. She said they
> were close to what she and her family got when they lived in New
> Mexico for awhile. Her husband (Colorado native) was pleased with
> them.
> https://tucsontamale.com/store/gift-packages/
>
> They were darn good. I'm thinking about ordering another set for us.
> Lots of filling, lots of taste. I didn't care so much for the sweet
> pumpkin. The vegetarian ones were good. Loved the pork and chicken
> and anything with green chili's. I can't decide But I can order two
> of the smaller packs for the same price as the larger $96 one and
> avoid the sweet pumpkin. decisions . . .
> I'm afraid to order the 'hot' ones - - they may be beyond my comfort
> zone.
> I only know these tamales were far different and better than what I
> get at local Mexican places

Even without reading the post, the subject header says it all; it's a
very sad title...

Do they arrive in a cold pack or frozen, overnighted, or what?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/19/2016 2:08 PM, wrote:

(snippage)

> Last Fall I made some homemade beef tamales after watching
> the ATK (or was it Cook Country?)episode. A bit labor
> intensive but darn tasty. The only mistake I made was
> a bit too much salt as I used regular table salt instead
> of Kosher salt.
>
> I went to the local Mexican market and bought my corn
> husks. The clerk was very helpful in which brand to
> use.

I made beef tamales back in the 1990's. (I realize pork and chicken are
the most common of the meat tamales, but the roast was on sale. Heh.)
Oh, they were delicious! but very labor-intensive. Nice to be able to
say I've made homemade tamales. Not something I want to do again.

For me it was a two-day process. On a Friday night when I got home from
work, I started it. I simmered the meat on the stove-top, low and slow
in a deep pot. I do not remember what spices and herbs I added to the
water. I do know I let it cook down quite a bit, simmered the roast for
at least 6 hours. Then into the fridge it went for the night.

Very early the next morning I strained the fat off the top of what was
left of the now very spicy broth. It had congealed, which was a good
thing.

I shredded the meat. I mixed it with the spicy broth in a large mixing
bowl.

Meanwhile, I soaked the corn husks in cold water. (I still have a
package of dried corn husks in my pantry... when I made these tamales I
had NO idea how many I'd need.) Then I mixed the masa dough, using some
of the broth for the liquid. Then I went through the process of
spreading the masa on the soaked, pliable corn husks, adding some of the
meat mixture and rolling them. As I said, tedious.

I cooked them standing up in a deep pot with the remaining spicy broth
in the pan with them. I added a collapsible steamer basket so they
wouldn't "boil" in the broth.

As I said, they were delicious! But I really didn't need approximately
50 tamales. LOL

Here in South Carolina, the tamales I find are wrapped in banana leaves.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 1:49:13 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> I made beef tamales back in the 1990's. (I realize pork and chicken are
> the most common of the meat tamales, but the roast was on sale. Heh.)
> Oh, they were delicious! but very labor-intensive. Nice to be able to
> say I've made homemade tamales. Not something I want to do again.

These were made with 85/15 hamburger. The roast would probably
be fantastic but I followed their recipe.

> For me it was a two-day process. On a Friday night when I got home from
> work, I started it. I simmered the meat on the stove-top, low and slow
> in a deep pot. I do not remember what spices and herbs I added to the
> water. I do know I let it cook down quite a bit, simmered the roast for
> at least 6 hours. Then into the fridge it went for the night.
>
> Very early the next morning I strained the fat off the top of what was
> left of the now very spicy broth. It had congealed, which was a good
> thing.
>
> I shredded the meat. I mixed it with the spicy broth in a large mixing
> bowl.

Yes, this had several different spices; I'd have to look at
the recipe again to see which ones were used.

> Meanwhile, I soaked the corn husks in cold water. (I still have a
> package of dried corn husks in my pantry... when I made these tamales I
> had NO idea how many I'd need.) Then I mixed the masa dough, using some
> of the broth for the liquid. Then I went through the process of
> spreading the masa on the soaked, pliable corn husks, adding some of the
> meat mixture and rolling them. As I said, tedious.

The package of corn husks I bought had LOTS in it, more than enough
for me to make another batch.

> I cooked them standing up in a deep pot with the remaining spicy broth
> in the pan with them. I added a collapsible steamer basket so they
> wouldn't "boil" in the broth.

The ones I made were also made standing up and were tied in bundles
of six with kitchen twine. I used the remaining spice mixture and
water to make the broth. If I remember correctly I took the tamales
out when cooked and made a light slurry to slightly thicken the s
sauce.

> As I said, they were delicious! But I really didn't need approximately
> 50 tamales. LOL

Oh gosh, I think these made about 2 dozen or so tamales. Once
again I'd have to look at the recipe.

> Here in South Carolina, the tamales I find are wrapped in banana leaves.
>
> Jill

Banana leaves? That sounds strange but the wrappers aren't eaten
so I guess it wouldn't matter what they are cooked in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.usenet.kooks,uk.rec.driving

Default JANET IS BUMMED CUZ THE "Tamales all gone"

On 4/19/2016 10:06 AM, Janet B wrote:

> Bummer. My daughter sent us a gift pack of tamales. She said they
> were close to what she and her family got when they lived in New
> Mexico for awhile. Her husband (Colorado native) was pleased with
> them.
> http://lemonparty.org
>
> They were darn good. I'm thinking about ordering another set for us.
> Lots of filling, lots of taste. I didn't care so much for the sweet
> pumpkin. The vegetarian ones were good. Loved the pork and chicken
> and anything with green chili's. I can't decide But I can order two
> of the smaller packs for the same price as the larger $96 one and
> avoid the sweet pumpkin. decisions . . .
> I'm afraid to order the 'hot' ones - - they may be beyond my comfort
> zone.
> I only know these tamales were far different and better than what I
> get at local Mexican places
>
> Janet US

How about a nice chef salad?
Lose a few hundred pounds...............LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 2:37:54 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> Around here I guess they make do with what is available. I don't live
> in an area filled with cornfields. From what I've read banana leaves
> are used a lot in steaming as wraps. As you said, you don't eat the
> wrapper.
>
> Jill

When my brother was in the army in the late 60's he was
stationed in Thailand. Food from the street vendors was
served on banana leaves. He said it was perfect 'paper
plate.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 11:36:40 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>On 2016-04-19 17:06:24 +0000, Janet B said:
>
>> Bummer. My daughter sent us a gift pack of tamales. She said they
>> were close to what she and her family got when they lived in New
>> Mexico for awhile. Her husband (Colorado native) was pleased with
>> them.
>> https://tucsontamale.com/store/gift-packages/
>>
>> They were darn good. I'm thinking about ordering another set for us.
>> Lots of filling, lots of taste. I didn't care so much for the sweet
>> pumpkin. The vegetarian ones were good. Loved the pork and chicken
>> and anything with green chili's. I can't decide But I can order two
>> of the smaller packs for the same price as the larger $96 one and
>> avoid the sweet pumpkin. decisions . . .
>> I'm afraid to order the 'hot' ones - - they may be beyond my comfort
>> zone.
>> I only know these tamales were far different and better than what I
>> get at local Mexican places

>Even without reading the post, the subject header says it all; it's a
>very sad title...
>
>Do they arrive in a cold pack or frozen, overnighted, or what?

frozen, foam container. Their next ship date is 4/26, so an order is
not full of stuff that has been frozen for a year.
Janet US

That's a lot of tamales Janet Bostwick[_2_] General Cooking 4 22-11-2009 09:03 PM
Oaxacan Pumpkin Tamales (Tamales Miahuatecos) Judy Bolton Recipes (moderated) 0 29-04-2007 02:16 AM
Oaxacan Pumpkin Tamales (Tamales Miahuatecos) Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 11-11-2005 07:07 AM
Low Cal Tamales huck Mexican Cooking 3 18-01-2005 08:00 PM
Best Tamales Ernie Mexican Cooking 60 15-12-2004 03:38 PM