Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default That's a lot of tamales

Maybe the rescue mission in your area could use donations of rice and pinto
beans. Any little bit helps. I'm going to Cash and Carry today to pick up
a couple hundred pounds of each to drop off.

NAMPA -- It's become an annual tradition - tamale making for holiday
dinners.

The Boise Rescue Mission and 75 volunteers rolled up their shirt sleeves at
Skyview High School Saturday to make 5,000 tamales.

The popular Mexican treat has become a holiday tradition at Thanksgiving and
Christmas meals.

"The Hispanic population is so large at our events in Nampa that we give
them the choice between a traditional Thanksgiving turkey meal or a
traditional Hispanic tamale meal," said Meagan Ellis, who helped make
tamales. "So they can have tamales, beans and rice or turkey, mashed
potatoes and gravy."

The Boise Rescue Mission still needs donations of Mexican rice and pinto
beans to help with the holiday meals.

Donations can be accepted at any Boise Rescue Mission facility.

More tamales will be made next weekend for the Rescue Mission's Boise
locations.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
m:

> Maybe the rescue mission in your area could use donations of rice and
> pinto beans. Any little bit helps. I'm going to Cash and Carry today
> to pick up a couple hundred pounds of each to drop off.
>
> NAMPA -- It's become an annual tradition - tamale making for holiday
> dinners.
>
> The Boise Rescue Mission and 75 volunteers rolled up their shirt
> sleeves at Skyview High School Saturday to make 5,000 tamales.
>
> The popular Mexican treat has become a holiday tradition at
> Thanksgiving and Christmas meals.
>
> "The Hispanic population is so large at our events in Nampa that we
> give them the choice between a traditional Thanksgiving turkey meal or
> a traditional Hispanic tamale meal," said Meagan Ellis, who helped
> make tamales. "So they can have tamales, beans and rice or turkey,
> mashed potatoes and gravy."
>
> The Boise Rescue Mission still needs donations of Mexican rice and
> pinto beans to help with the holiday meals.
>
> Donations can be accepted at any Boise Rescue Mission facility.
>
> More tamales will be made next weekend for the Rescue Mission's Boise
> locations.

Janet,

Anything worthwhile is always a good cause.

Janet,

Good for you!!!

Yes, that's a good cause!

I have my charities in Philadelphia.

Funny though, I can't picture you picking up a couple hundred pounds of
anything... without my help. <VBG>

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
> m:
>
>> Maybe the rescue mission in your area could use donations of rice and
>> pinto beans. Any little bit helps. I'm going to Cash and Carry today
>> to pick up a couple hundred pounds of each to drop off.
>>
>> NAMPA -- It's become an annual tradition - tamale making for holiday
>> dinners.
>>
>> The Boise Rescue Mission and 75 volunteers rolled up their shirt
>> sleeves at Skyview High School Saturday to make 5,000 tamales.
>>
>> The popular Mexican treat has become a holiday tradition at
>> Thanksgiving and Christmas meals.
>>
>> "The Hispanic population is so large at our events in Nampa that we
>> give them the choice between a traditional Thanksgiving turkey meal or
>> a traditional Hispanic tamale meal," said Meagan Ellis, who helped
>> make tamales. "So they can have tamales, beans and rice or turkey,
>> mashed potatoes and gravy."
>>
>> The Boise Rescue Mission still needs donations of Mexican rice and
>> pinto beans to help with the holiday meals.
>>
>> Donations can be accepted at any Boise Rescue Mission facility.
>>
>> More tamales will be made next weekend for the Rescue Mission's Boise
>> locations.

> Anything worthwhile is always a good cause.
>

> Janet,
>
> Good for you!!!
>
> Yes, that's a good cause!
>
> I have my charities in Philadelphia.
>
> Funny though, I can't picture you picking up a couple hundred pounds of
> anything... without my help. <VBG>
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Well, come on over. With your help my husband will be a lot happier hefting
those 50 pound bags into the truck. I may have to wait until tomorrow. We
don't have a cover over the pick up bed and we are getting snow/rain today.

I don't know why, but the Thanksgiving turkey donation never really got to
me although I would send my $ donation to help out. Talking about making a
specific food for someone's traditional holiday made it more personal. And
maybe all those people making tamales got to the cook in me.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

mmmmmm tamales. See, I'd go *there* for thanksgiving.

Of course, you can't make just "one" tamale, you sort of have to make
a bunch of them at a time. 5,000 is a pretty good "bunch".

-J
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 22, 9:13*am, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
> Maybe the rescue mission in your area could use donations of rice and pinto
> beans. *Any little bit helps. *I'm going to Cash and Carry today to pick up
> a couple hundred pounds of each to drop off.
>
> NAMPA -- It's become an annual tradition - tamale making for holiday
> dinners.
>
> The Boise Rescue Mission and 75 volunteers rolled up their shirt sleeves at
> Skyview High School Saturday to make 5,000 tamales.
>
> The popular Mexican treat has become a holiday tradition at Thanksgiving and
> Christmas meals.
>
> "The Hispanic population is so large at our events in Nampa that we give
> them the choice between a traditional Thanksgiving turkey meal or a
> traditional Hispanic tamale meal," said Meagan Ellis, who helped make
> tamales. "So they can have tamales, beans and rice or turkey, mashed
> potatoes and gravy."
>
> The Boise Rescue Mission still needs donations of Mexican rice and pinto
> beans to help with the holiday meals.
>
> Donations can be accepted at any Boise Rescue Mission facility.
>
> More tamales will be made next weekend for the Rescue Mission's Boise
> locations.

There is a HUGE Hispanic population here where I live, and I don't see
any of them needing a handout. Tell the ones in Boise to come here
and work at the Tyson plant, they'll be giving us crackers handouts in
no time. Heh...

Oaxacan Pumpkin Tamales (Tamales Miahuatecos) Judy Bolton Recipes (moderated) 0 29-04-2007 02:16 AM
Hot tamales! Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 57 10-02-2006 03:36 AM
Oaxacan Pumpkin Tamales (Tamales Miahuatecos) Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 11-11-2005 06:07 AM
Low Cal Tamales huck Mexican Cooking 3 18-01-2005 07:00 PM
Best Tamales Ernie Mexican Cooking 60 15-12-2004 02:38 PM