Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Got a favourite fruit?

I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 19:06:16 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?

Mango.

--
Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 21, 2016 at 5:06:26 PM UTC-7, Jill McQuown wrote:
> I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?
>
> Jill

Wild strawberries with wild raspberries a close second.
====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:
>Jill McQuown wrote:
>>
>> I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?

>Wild strawberries with wild raspberries a close second.

Melons, biguns!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?
>
> Jill

Nope. Not big into fruit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 21, 2016 at 6:06:26 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:
> I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?
>
> Jill

Undoubtedly mangoes, I eat one a day as dessert from breakfast!

Next: cherries of course!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 21, 2016 at 6:44:05 PM UTC-6, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Roy wrote:
> >Jill McQuown wrote:
> >>
> >> I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?

> >Wild strawberries with wild raspberries a close second.

> Melons, biguns!

Oh ShelDUM, you are so sexist!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2016 7:26 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Sunday, February 21, 2016 at 5:06:26 PM UTC-7, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?
>>
>> Jill

> Wild strawberries with wild raspberries a close second.
> ====

I like berries, too. There's a farm not far from where I live where you
can go pick strawberries (in season, of course). I used to pick wild
raspberries and blackberries when I lived in the Northern part of the
US. Watch out for those thorns, though! Blueberries are good, too.
Mmmmm, blueberry muffins.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2016 7:43 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Roy wrote:
>> Jill McQuown wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?

>> Wild strawberries with wild raspberries a close second.

> Melons, biguns!

That's your obvious answer. I never have been a fan of any type of
melons. I don't like watermelon, cantaloupe or honeydew.

Oranges are okay if you can get the bitter white pith off when you peel
them.

I use canned mandarin oranges in a marinade for grilled pork. Sometimes
I eat them as a snack.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 20:40:06 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/21/2016 7:43 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Roy wrote:

>>> Wild strawberries with wild raspberries a close second.

>> Melons, biguns!
>>

>That's your obvious answer. I never have been a fan of any type of
>melons. I don't like watermelon, cantaloupe or honeydew.
>
>Oranges are okay if you can get the bitter white pith off when you peel
>them.
>
>I use canned mandarin oranges in a marinade for grilled pork.

You had me confused, McBiddy, but apparently a mandarin orange is what
I'd simply call a mandarin.

>Sometimes I eat them as a snack.

Living on the edge.

--
Bruce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?

Jill
=

Grapes, cold grapes.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-02-21 7:06 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?

It's hard to pick a favourite. There are those that I like but can't
eat, those that I like but have trouble getting nice and fresh and ripe
and those I like but which are outrageously expensive. I eat a banana
just about every day. I also eat a lot of strawberries. I love oranges
but they disagreed with my digestive system for so many years that I
tend to avoid them. I really really like mangoes but they are very
expensive here and they are usually far from ripe and never ripen
properly. Frankly, I am better off buying frozen mango. It is usually
sort of being ripe but it is much cheaper and there is so much less waste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?
>
>Jill

I like berries the least and I love watermelon and grapes.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2016 9:26 PM, Janet B wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 19:06:16 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?
>>
>> Jill

> I like berries the least and I love watermelon and grapes.
> Janet US

I have never really been a fan of grapes. I've lived where I could just
walk out and pick them but for some reason never really cared for them.
<shrug> Thanks for the reply, though!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2016 6:06 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?
>
> Jill

Pineapple and strawberries (at peak ripeness)

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2016 9:44 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 19:06:16 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?

> Gregory Morrow.
>
> -sw

LOL. I was expecting Sheldon to mention Bryan but he didn't.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 19:06:16 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?

> Gregory Morrow.

*snort*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-02-21 9:39 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/21/2016 9:26 PM, Janet B wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 19:06:16 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I like berries the least and I love watermelon and grapes.
>> Janet US
>>

> I have never really been a fan of grapes. I've lived where I could just
> walk out and pick them but for some reason never really cared for them.
> <shrug> Thanks for the reply, though!

When I was a kid the usual variety of grapes we had were Concord, and I
never cared for them. With that tough skin and the texture of the
flesh it was like biting into eyeballs. Now we get table grapes yer
round and I love them. A few grapes make a great snack.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2016 7:06 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?
>
> Jill

In order"
Cherries
Watermelon
Oranges
Everything else. I like most all fruits but it is hard to find really
good ripe fruit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2016 8:40 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> Oranges are okay if you can get the bitter white pith off when you peel
> them.

You have to get the best ones in season. I've been ordering from the
Orange Shop and they are far better than what you find in the
supermarket. Peeling them you get your hands soaked with the sweet juice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 21, 2016 at 8:51:56 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 2/21/2016 9:44 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 19:06:16 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> >> I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?

> > Gregory Morrow.
> >
> > -sw
> >

> LOL. I was expecting Sheldon to mention Bryan but he didn't.
>
> Jill

Yeah, ShelDUM kinda dropped the ball on that one.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, jmcquown
> wrote:

> I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?

Oranges and peaches.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2016 11:25 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >, jmcquown
> > wrote:
>
>> I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?

> Oranges and peaches.
>
> leo

Watermelon, I think. Although, I still drool at the thought of a nice,
ripe, loquat, even though I haven't had one in decades.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 21, 2016 at 10:15:34 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/21/2016 8:40 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
> > Oranges are okay if you can get the bitter white pith off when you peel
> > them.
> >

> You have to get the best ones in season. I've been ordering from the
> Orange Shop and they are far better than what you find in the
> supermarket. Peeling them you get your hands soaked with the sweet juice.

I do that when I eat my mango. I slice down either side of the flat seed and peel the skin off the seed portion and eat with my hands! Sweet mango juice all over my hands! :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?

No favorite.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?

That's a tough call to pick just one. I guess I'll have to go with
raspberries, always been a favourite and we've been eating tons of
them for the past couple of months. They are tapering off now but the
blackberries have been ripening in the past few weeks.

My least favourite fruits all happen to post to RFC.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 11:24:17 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 19:06:16 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?

>Mango.

I know mangoes are nice, but having unlimited access to them as a kid
kinda ruined them for me. Same for barramundi.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 16:26:14 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 11:24:17 +1100, Bruce > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 19:06:16 -0500, jmcquown >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?

>>Mango.

>I know mangoes are nice, but having unlimited access to them as a kid
>kinda ruined them for me. Same for barramundi.

They're very expensive individually, but sometimes they sell a tray of
20 for $24 or so.

--
Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 16:25:01 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 19:06:16 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?

>That's a tough call to pick just one. I guess I'll have to go with
>raspberries, always been a favourite and we've been eating tons of
>them for the past couple of months. They are tapering off now but the
>blackberries have been ripening in the past few weeks.

I grew really nice raspberries in south tas. The type with slightly
furry skin if that makes sense. Then, one winter, it was so wet for so
long that the roots must have rotted and the plants all died.

--
Bruce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 17:43:56 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 16:25:01 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 19:06:16 -0500, jmcquown >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?

>>That's a tough call to pick just one. I guess I'll have to go with
>>raspberries, always been a favourite and we've been eating tons of
>>them for the past couple of months. They are tapering off now but the
>>blackberries have been ripening in the past few weeks.

>I grew really nice raspberries in south tas. The type with slightly
>furry skin if that makes sense. Then, one winter, it was so wet for so
>long that the roots must have rotted and the plants all died.

That's a shame, maybe not the best spot to put them. My best friend
has gone semi-commercial with raspberries so I don't bother growing
them myself. I want to get some Loganberry vines this year and really
need to get more serious about blueberries, which is also a big
favourite of mine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
> I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?
>
> Jill
> =
>
> Grapes, cold grapes.

+ 1 Now I have to buy some and it's All Your Fault ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 17:43:56 +1100, Bruce > wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 16:25:01 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>That's a tough call to pick just one. I guess I'll have to go with
>>>raspberries, always been a favourite and we've been eating tons of
>>>them for the past couple of months. They are tapering off now but the
>>>blackberries have been ripening in the past few weeks.

>>I grew really nice raspberries in south tas. The type with slightly
>>furry skin if that makes sense. Then, one winter, it was so wet for so
>>long that the roots must have rotted and the plants all died.

> That's a shame, maybe not the best spot to put them. My best friend
> has gone semi-commercial with raspberries so I don't bother growing
> them myself. I want to get some Loganberry vines this year and really
> need to get more serious about blueberries, which is also a big
> favourite of mine.

I grow loganberries. They are popular in this house

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 16:25:01 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 19:06:16 -0500, jmcquown >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?

>>That's a tough call to pick just one. I guess I'll have to go with
>>raspberries, always been a favourite and we've been eating tons of
>>them for the past couple of months. They are tapering off now but the
>>blackberries have been ripening in the past few weeks.

> I grew really nice raspberries in south tas. The type with slightly
> furry skin if that makes sense. Then, one winter, it was so wet for so
> long that the roots must have rotted and the plants all died.

My dad used to grow raspberries. He started with just a plant or two and
soon they took over his yard. They're darned hard to get rid of too! For
years, in season, I took home more than I knew what to do with. I was
having to find creative ways to use them. No one in the family liked jam.
At least not raspberry jam and really we didn't eat enough of any jam to
bother with making it. I was kind of glad when he finally managed to get
rid of all the plants. I don't really dislike the things but I don't want
to have to eat them every day. And that's what I was doing because I didn't
have a lot of money in those days so free food was good food for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 21, 2016 at 7:06:26 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?
>
> Jill

Cherries, although the fruit I eat most frequently is raisins,
followed by apples.

All my life, "red" has been my favorite flavor.

That said, I've been craving pineapple upside-down cake. I don't
want to make one and have the temptation staring at me, and I
can't find a bakery or restaurant hereabouts that has it.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 01:55:47 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 16:25:01 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>That's a tough call to pick just one. I guess I'll have to go with
>>>raspberries, always been a favourite and we've been eating tons of
>>>them for the past couple of months. They are tapering off now but the
>>>blackberries have been ripening in the past few weeks.

>> I grew really nice raspberries in south tas. The type with slightly
>> furry skin if that makes sense. Then, one winter, it was so wet for so
>> long that the roots must have rotted and the plants all died.

>My dad used to grow raspberries. He started with just a plant or two and
>soon they took over his yard. They're darned hard to get rid of too! For
>years, in season, I took home more than I knew what to do with. I was
>having to find creative ways to use them. No one in the family liked jam.
>At least not raspberry jam and really we didn't eat enough of any jam to
>bother with making it. I was kind of glad when he finally managed to get
>rid of all the plants. I don't really dislike the things but I don't want
>to have to eat them every day. And that's what I was doing because I didn't
>have a lot of money in those days so free food was good food for me.

Yes, they were always popping up in the lawn, a metre or more away
from their parents. I just kept mowing them down when I'd mow the
grass. It felt like a shame, but I didn't want to replace the lawn
with a raspberry plantation.

--
Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 20:22:08 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/21/2016 7:26 PM, Roy wrote:
>> On Sunday, February 21, 2016 at 5:06:26 PM UTC-7, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>> I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Wild strawberries with wild raspberries a close second.
>> ====
>>

>I like berries, too. There's a farm not far from where I live where you
>can go pick strawberries (in season, of course). I used to pick wild
>raspberries and blackberries when I lived in the Northern part of the
>US. Watch out for those thorns, though! Blueberries are good, too.
>Mmmmm, blueberry muffins.
>
>Jill

Mango - always loved it and confess I now buy bags of frozen mango so
I can handily have it at breakfast time. My grandmother grew some
Loganberries - never seen them since but loved them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-02-21 11:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/21/2016 7:06 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?
>>
>> Jill

> In order"
> Cherries
> Watermelon
> Oranges
> Everything else. I like most all fruits but it is hard to find really
> good ripe fruit.

That's one of the nice things about living in a fruit belt. I can get
farm fresh fruits in season from my neighbours; sweet cherries, sour
cherries, raspberries, strawberries, back currants, peaches, pears,
apples, apricots, plums. Any time I get the urge to relocate I think
about how I would miss those things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote in message ...

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
> I'd have to say pineapple. How about you?
>
> Jill
> =
>
> Grapes, cold grapes.

+ 1 Now I have to buy some and it's All Your Fault ;-)

Fortunately I am in wine country, so all kinds are available in season, but I
only eat grapes a couple of times a year and I love all varieties.

Cheri

Favourite Tea jsjohnsmith Tea 26 24-01-2014 09:49 AM
my favourite bbq Peek Oil Barbecue 0 27-05-2008 10:13 PM
Frozen Fruit versus fresh fruit [email protected] Baking 2 03-02-2005 09:38 PM
favourite White Fruit Wine Tepe Winemaking 2 23-07-2004 12:41 AM