Old 07-03-2007, 05:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What is good brand of can beans

Luck's brand of canned beans has a lot of paste in them. (on top
especially)

Besides this, I consider them a little to salty.

Thanks

Barry

Old 07-03-2007, 05:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 7, 10:44 am, "Barry" wrote:
Luck's brand of canned beans has a lot of paste in them. (on top
especially)

Besides this, I consider them a little to salty.

Thanks

Barry

I assume you're talking about baked beans? I like Bush's original. I
don't need Duke's recipe, though, because I doctor them up myself.
LOL.

N.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 7, 11:55 am, "Nancy2" wrote:

I assume you're talking about baked beans? I like Bush's original. I
don't need Duke's recipe, though, because I doctor them up myself.
LOL.

N.

I like baked beans, just any kind. I like beans.. I figure they make
me strong.

I cooked a pot of Navy beans recently, blah.. tasted like boiled
beans.

Barry

I've had Bush's, I guess I'm thinking more like.. tastes like beans
you cook on the stove top.

Thanks

Old 07-03-2007, 06:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ireland's Ranch Style Beans. (regional to Texas & Oklahoma.. spicy
pintos or are they red beans?)

Ted

Old 07-03-2007, 06:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com,
"Barry" wrote:

Luck's brand of canned beans has a lot of paste in them. (on top
especially)

Besides this, I consider them a little to salty.

Thanks

Barry

Green? Baked? Lima? Yellow Wax?
If I'm buying canned baked beans, I buy B&M with molasses and brown
sugar and bacon. I prefer to buy Captain Ken's frozen baked beans;
may be a regional item, though.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - snow pics added 3-3-2007

Old 07-03-2007, 06:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 7, 12:44 pm, Melba's Jammin'
wrote:
In article .com,

"Barry" wrote:
Luck's brand of canned beans has a lot of paste in them. (on top
especially)

Besides this, I consider them a little to salty.

Thanks

Barry

Green? Baked? Lima? Yellow Wax?
If I'm buying canned baked beans, I buy B&M with molasses and brown
sugar and bacon. I prefer to buy Captain Ken's frozen baked beans;
may be a regional item, though.

I grew up on Heinz Vegetarian Baked Beans, with added ketchup and
molasses. Now I doctor mine with mustard, ginger, tomato paste and
molasses.

Tried making my own a couple of times. Burnt the first batch, and the
second was too dry. Decided I liked the canned onesG.

maxine in ri

Old 07-03-2007, 06:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 7, 10:44 am, "Barry" wrote:
Luck's brand of canned beans has a lot of paste in them. (on top
especially)

I keep Goya black beans and garbanzo beans in the pantry. Haven't
tried any of their red beans or pintos because I like to cook those
myself.

David

Old 07-03-2007, 07:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" wrote:

I grew up on Heinz Vegetarian Baked Beans.

Of all the canned those are my favorites too... and I can't explain
why I choose the vegetarian version (instead of pork and) and then
prepare them with tube steak. I've tried Campbell's version, blech!

Sheldon

Old 07-03-2007, 07:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com,
"maxine in ri" wrote:

Tried making my own a couple of times. Burnt the first batch, and the
second was too dry. Decided I liked the canned onesG.

maxine in ri

Mine were like little brown bullets. Sister Anne's recipe, SHE was the
baked bean queen in the family. Captain Ken's are great. :-)
Old 07-03-2007, 07:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I second the vote for Bush's beans (regular baked beans,
or vegetarian), and if you can find it the Heinz "Baked Beanz"
that are 50% less sugar and salt. Another choice is
Ranch Style Beans.

But often I just buy what's cheapest at Grocery Outlet.

Steve

Old 07-03-2007, 07:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote on 7 Mar 2007 10:14:33 -0800:

S "maxine in ri" wrote:
??
?? I grew up on Heinz Vegetarian Baked Beans.

S Of all the canned those are my favorites too... and I can't
S explain why I choose the vegetarian version (instead of pork
S and) and then prepare them with tube steak. I've tried
S Campbell's version, blech!

Nothing wrong with Camp's Vegetarian Beans either. A can is
helped by the addition of 1/2 tsp dry mustard.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Old 07-03-2007, 08:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Barry" wrote in message
oups.com...
Luck's brand of canned beans has a lot of paste in them. (on top
especially)

Besides this, I consider them a little to salty.

Thanks

Bush's. But it really depends what kind of beans. AND they are all going to
be salty. If you don't want salty, don't buy canned. You know how to cook
beans.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com,
"dtwright37" wrote:

On Mar 7, 10:44 am, "Barry" wrote:
Luck's brand of canned beans has a lot of paste in them. (on top
especially)

I keep Goya black beans and garbanzo beans in the pantry. Haven't
tried any of their red beans or pintos because I like to cook those
myself.

David

I recall one of the cooking magazines doing taste tests on garbanzos
recently and they said Goya tasted best by far. Our grocery does not
have these.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Emma wrote on Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:29:06 -0600:

?? On Mar 7, 10:44 am, "Barry" wrote:
?? Luck's brand of canned beans has a lot of paste in them.
?? (on top especially)
??
?? I keep Goya black beans and garbanzo beans in the pantry.
?? Haven't tried any of their red beans or pintos because I
?? like to cook those myself.
??

Goya is not a bad source for a lot of things! Their "extra
virgin" (damnfool name IMHO :-) olive oil is good and Consumer
Reports agrees.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 7, 11:02 am, "Barry" wrote:
On Mar 7, 11:55 am, "Nancy2" wrote:

I assume you're talking about baked beans? I like Bush's original. I
don't need Duke's recipe, though, because I doctor them up myself.
LOL.

N.

I like baked beans, just any kind. I like beans.. I figure they make
me strong.

I cooked a pot of Navy beans recently, blah.. tasted like boiled
beans.

Barry

I've had Bush's, I guess I'm thinking more like.. tastes like beans
you cook on the stove top.

Thanks

Well, you have to improve them so they taste more like home-made. I
add ketchup, yellow mustard, a little sweet pickle relish, some finely
diced onion, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce, AFTER draining out
most of the juice in the can. Then I let it heat at a low temperature
either on top the stove or in the oven for an hour or more.

For homemade from scratch, I use the Better Homes & Gardens recipe,
which I can't access at the moment.

N.