Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Boiled cider & sweet potatoes

When we visited King Arthur a few weeks ago they had pint bottles of
Boiled Cider. t is supposed to be a New England tradition, but I never
heard of it. The idea of it seemed appealing, so I bought a bottle.
Finally tried it out tonight.

I baked sweet potatoes to have with dinner and put some butter on them.
The cider can be used like a syrup so I put a little on to try. Added
a nice flavor to them On the sweet side, but not like syrup would be,
just a pleasant apple highlight.

This is the brand KA had.
http://www.woodscidermill.com/PRODUCTS/BoiledCider.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> When we visited King Arthur a few weeks ago they had pint bottles of
> Boiled Cider. t is supposed to be a New England tradition, but I never
> heard of it. The idea of it seemed appealing, so I bought a bottle.
> Finally tried it out tonight.
>
> I baked sweet potatoes to have with dinner and put some butter on them.
> The cider can be used like a syrup so I put a little on to try. Added
> a nice flavor to them On the sweet side, but not like syrup would be,
> just a pleasant apple highlight.
>
> This is the brand KA had.
> http://www.woodscidermill.com/PRODUCTS/BoiledCider.html

Thanks for that - sounds quite tasty!
Posted to rec.food.cooking,ba.food,alt.food.fast-food,alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> Never heard of it either.

She should call the cops. I've already publicly admitted it is me so
a conviction should be a piece of cake and then forging would stop.
So what's stopping her? I think she suffers from Bovism - she just
loves the attention and drama and screw the rest of the group.

-sw

Forget HOW to leave, woman-stalker?

Or are you so addicted to this you can NEVER live up to your promises?

You're a total head case, and now everyone sees it.

That's ****ing good stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> When we visited King Arthur a few weeks ago they had pint bottles of
> Boiled Cider. t is supposed to be a New England tradition, but I never
> heard of it. The idea of it seemed appealing, so I bought a bottle.
> Finally tried it out tonight.
>
> I baked sweet potatoes to have with dinner and put some butter on them.
> The cider can be used like a syrup so I put a little on to try. Added
> a nice flavor to them On the sweet side, but not like syrup would be,
> just a pleasant apple highlight.
>
> This is the brand KA had.
> http://www.woodscidermill.com/PRODUCTS/BoiledCider.html

Interesting Ed. I actually bought a 64oz bottle of apple juice about a
month ago with the idea of simmering it down to a syrup consistency.
This is basically what they did. I figured I could use it on
something. I don't know about pancakes, but certainly on my current
cranberry-apple cake.

I did notice on that page that they cook pressed apple juice down to
7:1. I'm surprised at that small ratio as maple syrup is about 40+:1.
Is that boiled cider you bought very thick at all?

Regardless, I've got my apple juice in a pot on simmer now. I'll
evaporate it down to something thicker like syrup and then give it a
taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 00:01:43 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > This is the brand KA had.
> > http://www.woodscidermill.com/PRODUCTS/BoiledCider.html

> Never heard of it either. Looks like an invention that arose from
> somebody itching to try out their maple syrup evaporators while
> waiting for the right week to tap the trees. Apples would have been
> handy...
>
> I would have thought apple juice reduced by 85% would be pretty sweet,
> though.

I'm trying it right now. I'll report back tomorrow with what I end up
with.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/27/2015 9:34 AM, Gary wrote:

>> This is the brand KA had.
>> http://www.woodscidermill.com/PRODUCTS/BoiledCider.html

> Interesting Ed. I actually bought a 64oz bottle of apple juice about a
> month ago with the idea of simmering it down to a syrup consistency.
> This is basically what they did. I figured I could use it on
> something. I don't know about pancakes, but certainly on my current
> cranberry-apple cake.
>
> I did notice on that page that they cook pressed apple juice down to
> 7:1. I'm surprised at that small ratio as maple syrup is about 40+:1.
> Is that boiled cider you bought very thick at all?
>
> Regardless, I've got my apple juice in a pot on simmer now. I'll
> evaporate it down to something thicker like syrup and then give it a
> taste.

I noticed the difference in ratio too. My guess is cider just has a
hifg percentages of solids to begin with,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 09:34:26 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> Interesting Ed. I actually bought a 64oz bottle of apple juice about a
> month ago with the idea of simmering it down to a syrup consistency.
> This is basically what they did. I figured I could use it on
> something. I don't know about pancakes, but certainly on my current
> cranberry-apple cake.
>
> I did notice on that page that they cook pressed apple juice down to
> 7:1. I'm surprised at that small ratio as maple syrup is about 40+:1.
> Is that boiled cider you bought very thick at all?
>
> Regardless, I've got my apple juice in a pot on simmer now. I'll
> evaporate it down to something thicker like syrup and then give it a
> taste.

I had a reduced apple something or other like that on waffles once,
but didn't like it. I need real maple syrup for that purpose. I also
think cranberry apple cake is sweet enough as it is, but YMMV.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I also
> think cranberry apple cake is sweet enough as it is, but YMMV.

It really is a stand alone dessert. Very moist. I keep it cold in the
fridge. I used to heat it up and butter. No longer. Then I used to eat
it cold with a smear of butter. No longer.

The cake is very good just sliced cold and eaten.

The old recipe called for a topping so that's why I'm making apple
syrup. I suspect I still will like the cake plain and cold. I can
always use the experimental apple syrup for something.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 12:33:55 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > I also
> > think cranberry apple cake is sweet enough as it is, but YMMV.

> It really is a stand alone dessert. Very moist. I keep it cold in the
> fridge. I used to heat it up and butter. No longer. Then I used to eat
> it cold with a smear of butter. No longer.

That sounds like hubby. He hasn't met a pastry that couldn't benefit
from more butter and he did it just this morning with a kringle from
Wisconsin (think bearclaw ingredients).

> The cake is very good just sliced cold and eaten.

I bet it is!

> The old recipe called for a topping so that's why I'm making apple
> syrup. I suspect I still will like the cake plain and cold.

Agree.

> I can always use the experimental apple syrup for something.

Let us know where you think the syrup works and I'll give it a try
too... but not as pancake/waffle syrup because I've already tried
that.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > > This is the brand KA had.
> > > http://www.woodscidermill.com/PRODUCTS/BoiledCider.html

> > I would have thought apple juice reduced by 85% would be pretty sweet,
> > though.

> I'm trying it right now. I'll report back tomorrow with what I end up
> with.

<reporting back 3 days later>

I reduced mine down by about 89% and it was way too far. Started with
64oz and ended up with about 5-6oz. I didn't watch it closely at the
end and it went from not thick to too thick very quickly. Big mistake
too. Very hot, it was already very thick (like King syrup) and I knew
it would thicken way more once cooled.

I tasted a spoonful (and it took forever to cool down enough to
taste). Not too sweet for some dessert-like topping but also not a
super apple flavor either. I can see how this might be good on
something like a sweet potato as Ed tried but not enough of
*something* to use as a dessert topping. For that, my first thought
was to add a bit of vanilla extract. Sadly, I had just used up the
last of my vanilla the day before making the cake so I didn't get to
try that.

Cold in the fridge, it's hard as a brick. I've got it out now and as
it slowly comes to room temp, it's now turned into a thick taffy. I'll
let it warm up completely then maybe play with it a bit more. Still
don't have vanilla though. I think that would be good.

Anyway, that's what I did. I'll probably end up throwing it out but
not in the trash. I'll freeze it hard again then toss the little brick
out into the woods nearby and let the ants have at it. I'm sure
they'll appreciate that food source so near winter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 08:02:18 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> >
> > Sqwertz wrote:

> > > I would have thought apple juice reduced by 85% would be pretty sweet,
> > > though.

> > I'm trying it right now. I'll report back tomorrow with what I end up
> > with.

> <reporting back 3 days later>
>
> I reduced mine down by about 89% and it was way too far. Started with
> 64oz and ended up with about 5-6oz. I didn't watch it closely at the
> end and it went from not thick to too thick very quickly. Big mistake
> too. Very hot, it was already very thick (like King syrup) and I knew
> it would thicken way more once cooled.
>
> I tasted a spoonful (and it took forever to cool down enough to
> taste). Not too sweet for some dessert-like topping but also not a
> super apple flavor either. I can see how this might be good on
> something like a sweet potato as Ed tried but not enough of
> *something* to use as a dessert topping. For that, my first thought
> was to add a bit of vanilla extract. Sadly, I had just used up the
> last of my vanilla the day before making the cake so I didn't get to
> try that.
>
> Cold in the fridge, it's hard as a brick. I've got it out now and as
> it slowly comes to room temp, it's now turned into a thick taffy. I'll
> let it warm up completely then maybe play with it a bit more. Still
> don't have vanilla though. I think that would be good.
>
> Anyway, that's what I did. I'll probably end up throwing it out but
> not in the trash. I'll freeze it hard again then toss the little brick
> out into the woods nearby and let the ants have at it. I'm sure
> they'll appreciate that food source so near winter.

I heard an advertisement for something on the car radio this weekend
that I only paid attention to when they said "cider glaze".
Unfortunately that was the end of the ad and I haven't heard it since.
I'd guess and say it was some kind of meat (probably pork), but who
knows.

As far as your cider brick goes... you can add water to thin it out.
My guess is this would be a good use for your crockpot if you don't
want to watch it. It wouldn't even matter if you didn't get it fully
thinned because you have another use for the brick in mind. Just thin
enough to a syrup consistency that you can experiment (if you wish)
and give the rest to the ants & other creatures.

BTW: There are actual recipes on the internet for making it from
scratch. http://www.theyummylife.com/Apple_Cider_Syrup

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/2015 8:02 AM, Gary wrote:

> I reduced mine down by about 89% and it was way too far. Started with
> 64oz and ended up with about 5-6oz. I didn't watch it closely at the
> end and it went from not thick to too thick very quickly. Big mistake
> too. Very hot, it was already very thick (like King syrup) and I knew
> it would thicken way more once cooled.

I wonder if you put it in either water or more cider you could thin it out?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 11/30/2015 8:02 AM, Gary wrote:
>

> > I reduced mine down by about 89% and it was way too far. Started with
> > 64oz and ended up with about 5-6oz. I didn't watch it closely at the
> > end and it went from not thick to too thick very quickly. Big mistake
> > too. Very hot, it was already very thick (like King syrup) and I knew
> > it would thicken way more once cooled.
> >

> I wonder if you put it in either water or more cider you could thin it out?

Yes. I was bringing it up to room temp from refridgerated yesterday
and it quickly turned into taffy even before it warmed up to room
temp. I can add water and thin it down. I'll try this once I buy some
vanilla extract.

Sf gave a link to a recipe, and I was right about the vanilla but also
should add some nutmeg, cloves, etc. I'll try this before I feed the
ants in the woods.
http://www.theyummylife.com/Apple_Cider_Syrup
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> On 11/30/2015 8:02 AM, Gary wrote:
>>

>> > I reduced mine down by about 89% and it was way too far. Started with
>> > 64oz and ended up with about 5-6oz. I didn't watch it closely at the
>> > end and it went from not thick to too thick very quickly. Big mistake
>> > too. Very hot, it was already very thick (like King syrup) and I knew
>> > it would thicken way more once cooled.
>> >

>> I wonder if you put it in either water or more cider you could thin it
>> out?

> Yes. I was bringing it up to room temp from refridgerated yesterday
> and it quickly turned into taffy even before it warmed up to room
> temp. I can add water and thin it down. I'll try this once I buy some
> vanilla extract.
>
> Sf gave a link to a recipe, and I was right about the vanilla but also
> should add some nutmeg, cloves, etc. I'll try this before I feed the
> ants in the woods.
> http://www.theyummylife.com/Apple_Cider_Syrup

If you get it as you want it, what will you use it for?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> > Sf gave a link to a recipe, and I was right about the vanilla but also
> > should add some nutmeg, cloves, etc. I'll try this before I feed the
> > ants in the woods.
> > http://www.theyummylife.com/Apple_Cider_Syrup

> If you get it as you want it, what will you use it for?

To start with, this was just a science project.
Theory: Maple syrup is so good, why not other fruit syrup?
So I decided to try the apple.

I've been making the apple-cranberry cake and I thought that might be
a good topping but this cake really doesn't even need any topping. But
since I'm going to make another tomorrow, I'll try adding some
vanilla, nutmeg, and cloves to what I have just to see if it works. As
I said, just apple juice reduced to a syrup isn't all that tasty...it
needs something.

It was just a fun project though. Even if it turns out good, I'll
probably never make it again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

>To start with, this was just a science project.
>Theory: Maple syrup is so good, why not other fruit syrup?

Maple syrup is not a fruit syrup, it's made from tree sap.

Boiled cider & sweet potatoes Groupkilla Barbecue 0 27-11-2015 06:53 AM
boiled potatoes in slow cooker? Dan Goodman General Cooking 43 21-09-2007 04:33 AM
sweet cider dgerxldffhkjs Winemaking 0 21-08-2007 02:53 PM
Portugal-Boiled Cod with Potatoes or Chickpeas AJ Recipes (moderated) 0 13-01-2007 02:58 AM
Cider-Glazed Sweet Potatoes with Cranberries Chef Tamara Recipes (moderated) 0 09-11-2006 04:44 AM