Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary Gary is offline

Default Boiled cider & sweet potatoes

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 11/30/2015 8:02 AM, Gary wrote:
>

> > I reduced mine down by about 89% and it was way too far. Started with
> > 64oz and ended up with about 5-6oz. I didn't watch it closely at the
> > end and it went from not thick to too thick very quickly. Big mistake
> > too. Very hot, it was already very thick (like King syrup) and I knew
> > it would thicken way more once cooled.
> >

> I wonder if you put it in either water or more cider you could thin it out?

Yes. I was bringing it up to room temp from refridgerated yesterday
and it quickly turned into taffy even before it warmed up to room
temp. I can add water and thin it down. I'll try this once I buy some
vanilla extract.

Sf gave a link to a recipe, and I was right about the vanilla but also
should add some nutmeg, cloves, etc. I'll try this before I feed the
ants in the woods.
http://www.theyummylife.com/Apple_Cider_Syrup