Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary Gary is offline

Default Boiled cider & sweet potatoes

Gary wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > > This is the brand KA had.
> > > http://www.woodscidermill.com/PRODUCTS/BoiledCider.html

> > I would have thought apple juice reduced by 85% would be pretty sweet,
> > though.

> I'm trying it right now. I'll report back tomorrow with what I end up
> with.

<reporting back 3 days later>

I reduced mine down by about 89% and it was way too far. Started with
64oz and ended up with about 5-6oz. I didn't watch it closely at the
end and it went from not thick to too thick very quickly. Big mistake
too. Very hot, it was already very thick (like King syrup) and I knew
it would thicken way more once cooled.

I tasted a spoonful (and it took forever to cool down enough to
taste). Not too sweet for some dessert-like topping but also not a
super apple flavor either. I can see how this might be good on
something like a sweet potato as Ed tried but not enough of
*something* to use as a dessert topping. For that, my first thought
was to add a bit of vanilla extract. Sadly, I had just used up the
last of my vanilla the day before making the cake so I didn't get to
try that.

Cold in the fridge, it's hard as a brick. I've got it out now and as
it slowly comes to room temp, it's now turned into a thick taffy. I'll
let it warm up completely then maybe play with it a bit more. Still
don't have vanilla though. I think that would be good.

Anyway, that's what I did. I'll probably end up throwing it out but
not in the trash. I'll freeze it hard again then toss the little brick
out into the woods nearby and let the ants have at it. I'm sure
they'll appreciate that food source so near winter.