Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tapioca pudding question (bulk tapioca)

I don't care much for pearl tapioca and buying the granular kind in those little boxes is pretty expensive, so when I found the latter in a two-pound bag at an Indian store (definitely cheaper per pound), I thought I had it made.

Trouble is, when I followed the Joy of Cooking recipe, while I cooked it for maybe 30 minutes, it just didn't thicken and congeal the way I'm used to.

Got any ideas?

I'm pretty sure this is the recipe I used:

https://books.google.com/books?id=C4...ing%22&f=false

3 Tbs. tapioca
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 or 2 beaten eggs (I only used one - maybe I should have used two?)
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla

You use a double boiler. The total time was supposed to be 12 minutes - but that was for quick-cooking tapioca, which, I assume, was not what I had. Again, I cooked it for maybe 30 minutes.

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 15:20:14 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>I don't care much for pearl tapioca and buying the granular kind in those little boxes is pretty expensive, so when I found the latter in a two-pound bag at an Indian store (definitely cheaper per pound), I thought I had it made.
>
>Trouble is, when I followed the Joy of Cooking recipe, while I cooked it for maybe 30 minutes, it just didn't thicken and congeal the way I'm used to.
>
>Got any ideas?
>
>I'm pretty sure this is the recipe I used:

https://books.google.com/books?id=C4...ing%22&f=false

>3 Tbs. tapioca
>1/2 cup sugar
>1/4 tsp. salt
>1 or 2 beaten eggs (I only used one - maybe I should have used two?)
>2 cups milk
>1/2 tsp. vanilla
>
>You use a double boiler. The total time was supposed to be 12 minutes - but that was for quick-cooking tapioca, which, I assume, was not what I had. Again, I cooked it for maybe 30 minutes.
>

>Lenona.

Yabbut, you're supposed to mix everything and let it sit and soak for
15-20 minutes before cooking.
That would be my first guess.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 16:42:01 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 15:20:14 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
>>I don't care much for pearl tapioca and buying the granular kind in those little boxes is pretty expensive, so when I found the latter in a two-pound bag at an Indian store (definitely cheaper per pound), I thought I had it made.
>>
>>Trouble is, when I followed the Joy of Cooking recipe, while I cooked it for maybe 30 minutes, it just didn't thicken and congeal the way I'm used to.
>>
>>Got any ideas?
>>
>>I'm pretty sure this is the recipe I used:

https://books.google.com/books?id=C4...ing%22&f=false

>>3 Tbs. tapioca
>>1/2 cup sugar
>>1/4 tsp. salt
>>1 or 2 beaten eggs (I only used one - maybe I should have used two?)
>>2 cups milk
>>1/2 tsp. vanilla
>>
>>You use a double boiler. The total time was supposed to be 12 minutes - but that was for quick-cooking tapioca, which, I assume, was not what I had. Again, I cooked it for maybe 30 minutes.
>>

>>Lenona.

>Yabbut, you're supposed to mix everything and let it sit and soak for
>15-20 minutes before cooking.
>That would be my first guess.
>Janet US

That and longer cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 15:20:14 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>I don't care much for pearl tapioca and buying the granular kind in those little boxes is pretty expensive, so when I found the latter in a two-pound bag at an Indian store (definitely cheaper per pound), I thought I had it made.
>
>Trouble is, when I followed the Joy of Cooking recipe, while I cooked it for maybe 30 minutes, it just didn't thicken and congeal the way I'm used to.
>
>Got any ideas?
>
>I'm pretty sure this is the recipe I used:

https://books.google.com/books?id=C4...ing%22&f=false

>3 Tbs. tapioca
>1/2 cup sugar
>1/4 tsp. salt
>1 or 2 beaten eggs (I only used one - maybe I should have used two?)
>2 cups milk
>1/2 tsp. vanilla
>
>You use a double boiler. The total time was supposed to be 12 minutes - but that was for quick-cooking tapioca, which, I assume, was not what I had. Again, I cooked it for maybe 30 minutes.
>

>Lenona.

Fish eyes and glue! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/10/2015 5:51 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 15:20:14 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
>> I don't care much for pearl tapioca and buying the granular kind in those little boxes is pretty expensive, so when I found the latter in a two-pound bag at an Indian store (definitely cheaper per pound), I thought I had it made.
>>
>> Trouble is, when I followed the Joy of Cooking recipe, while I cooked it for maybe 30 minutes, it just didn't thicken and congeal the way I'm used to.
>>
>> Got any ideas?
>>
>> I'm pretty sure this is the recipe I used:

https://books.google.com/books?id=C4...ing%22&f=false

>> 3 Tbs. tapioca
>> 1/2 cup sugar
>> 1/4 tsp. salt
>> 1 or 2 beaten eggs (I only used one - maybe I should have used two?)
>> 2 cups milk
>> 1/2 tsp. vanilla
>>
>> You use a double boiler. The total time was supposed to be 12 minutes - but that was for quick-cooking tapioca, which, I assume, was not what I had. Again, I cooked it for maybe 30 minutes.
>>

>> Lenona.

> Fish eyes and glue! ;-)
>
> John Kuthe...

It was called "frog spawn" when I was in elementary school, but I liked it.
Graham

--
If only the Geologists would let me alone, I could do very
well, but those dreadful hammers! I hear the clink of them

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-10-20 18:20, wrote:
> I don't care much for pearl tapioca and buying the granular kind in those little boxes is pretty expensive, so when I found the latter in a two-pound bag at an Indian store (definitely cheaper per pound), I thought I had it made.
>
> Trouble is, when I followed the Joy of Cooking recipe, while I cooked it for maybe 30 minutes, it just didn't thicken and congeal the way I'm used to.
>
> Got any ideas?
>
> I'm pretty sure this is the recipe I used:

https://books.google.com/books?id=C4...ing%22&f=false

> 3 Tbs. tapioca
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 1/4 tsp. salt
> 1 or 2 beaten eggs (I only used one - maybe I should have used two?)
> 2 cups milk
> 1/2 tsp. vanilla
>
> You use a double boiler. The total time was supposed to be 12 minutes - but that was for quick-cooking tapioca, which, I assume, was not what I had. Again, I cooked it for maybe 30 minutes.

To tell you the truth, it just isn't enough time to cook even the quick
cooking stuff in that amount of time.
I use the method in the recipe on the minute tapioca box. You mix the
tapioca, sugar milk and egg and let them sit for about 10 minutes, then
cook it on direct heat, stirring constantly.

FWIW, I have had a hard time finding regular pearl tapioca over the last
few years. There is an Asian store where I can get tapioca either in
huge pearls on in small ones. I buy the later and use the same method
and get great results.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 15:20:14 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>I don't care much for pearl tapioca and buying the granular kind in those little boxes is pretty expensive, so when I found the latter in a two-pound bag at an Indian store (definitely cheaper per pound), I thought I had it made.
>
>Trouble is, when I followed the Joy of Cooking recipe, while I cooked it for maybe 30 minutes, it just didn't thicken and congeal the way I'm used to.
>
>Got any ideas?
>
>I'm pretty sure this is the recipe I used:

https://books.google.com/books?id=C4...ing%22&f=false

>3 Tbs. tapioca
>1/2 cup sugar
>1/4 tsp. salt
>1 or 2 beaten eggs (I only used one - maybe I should have used two?)
>2 cups milk
>1/2 tsp. vanilla
>
>You use a double boiler. The total time was supposed to be 12 minutes - but that was for quick-cooking tapioca, which, I assume, was not what I had. Again, I cooked it for maybe 30 minutes.
>

>Lenona.

The tapioca at Indian markets ir likely sego palm starch, but it works
about the same... my recipes work well.

PEARL TAPIOCA PUDDING

1/2 C. pearl tapioca
2 C. milk
2 eggs
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 C. milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Soak tapioca overnight

Cook tapioca and the 2 C.
milk in top of double boiler
until tapioca becomes clear.

Mix eggs and sugar together and thin with
the 1/4 C. milk.

Cook till thick and add vanilla
---

Pearl Tapioca Pudding

1/2 cup tapioca
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 teas salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, separated
1/2 teas vanilla

Soak Tapioca in 2 cups room temp water overnight.
Drain water. In double boiler, heat milk until
just no longer cold. Add salt and tapioca. Continue
heating till small bubbles appear at side of pan.
Cover, turn heat to very low, and cook for one hour.
Make sure milk mixture does not simmer or boil.
Separate egg whites from yolks. Beat yolks and sugar
together till light yellow. Add a little of the hot
mixture to the egg yolks and blend. Then add yolk
mixture too the hot milk mixture, stirring constantly.
Place double boiler over medium heat and cook till
thick, about 15 minutes. Beat egg whites till stiff,
fold into the hot mixture, add vanilla. Serve warm or
chilled.
---

Reese Large Pearl Tapioca
Sago Pudding (Gula Melaka)

Gula Melaka is the name of the brown palm sugar
tapped from the coconut tree. It has a fragrance
so intensely delicious that it needs only the
addition of thick coconut cream to create a sauce
of unsurpassed richness. This is poured over a
simple pudding made from sago pearls.

Ingredients

210 grammes (7 oz) sago
10 cups water
210 grammes (7 oz) palm sugar
Half cup water
2 grated coconuts
Quarter tsp salt

Instructions to Cook

Wash one big jelly mould or eight small jelly moulds
and do not wipe dry. Wash the sago in a large basin
of water. Drain. Boil water in a large saucepan, add
sago a little a time, stirring after each addition to
ensure that the sago does not stick together in lumps.
After all the sago has been added, let the water come
to boil again and turn it to low heat stirring once or
twice to keep the grains apart. Turn off the fire when
the grains turn translucent. Pour the mixture into a
large sieve to drain off the water. Put mixture into a
large basin of cold water and stir with a spoon. Once
again, drain all the water through a sieve. Pour the
sago in the jelly moulds. Smooth down the top, cool
and store overnight in the fridge. Boil palm sugar
and water till sugar melts. Strain to remove grit.
Squeeze coconut through a piece of muslin for thick
milk. Store in the fridge. The pudding, sauce and coconut
milk should be very cold when you serve them. The pudding
can be removed from jelly mould by easing the sides off with
a knife. The two sauces should be offered separately and each
person pours a little of each over the pudding. Replace palm
sugar with molasses and fresh coconut milk with liquid processed
coconut milk in cans or packets. Serves 6 to 8 people.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 12:20:17 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> I don't care much for pearl tapioca and buying the granular kind in those little boxes is pretty expensive, so when I found the latter in a two-pound bag at an Indian store (definitely cheaper per pound), I thought I had it made.
>
> Trouble is, when I followed the Joy of Cooking recipe, while I cooked it for maybe 30 minutes, it just didn't thicken and congeal the way I'm used to.
>
> Got any ideas?
>
> I'm pretty sure this is the recipe I used:
>
> https://books.google.com/books?id=C4...ing%22&f=false
>
> 3 Tbs. tapioca
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 1/4 tsp. salt
> 1 or 2 beaten eggs (I only used one - maybe I should have used two?)
> 2 cups milk
> 1/2 tsp. vanilla
>
> You use a double boiler. The total time was supposed to be 12 minutes - but that was for quick-cooking tapioca, which, I assume, was not what I had. Again, I cooked it for maybe 30 minutes.
>

> Lenona.

I dumped half a cup of pearl tapioca, 3 cups milk, half a cup sugar, and salt in the rice cooker and put it in the warm setting and let it sit all day.. When I got home, I put it on the cook setting and stirred it for around 10 minutes while it thickened. At this point, some vanilla was added and it's Miller time. Serve warm or cold. Don't use that old recipe - it sucks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 00:58:04 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

> I dumped half a cup of pearl tapioca, 3 cups milk, half a cup sugar, and salt in the rice cooker and put it in the warm setting and let it sit all day. When I got home, I put it on the cook setting and stirred it for around 10 minutes while it thickened. At this point, some vanilla was added and it's Miller time. Serve warm or cold. Don't use that old recipe - it sucks!

Thank you. I pass on tapioca and pudding recipes that call for egg.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 6:42:51 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 00:58:04 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:
>

> > I dumped half a cup of pearl tapioca, 3 cups milk, half a cup sugar, and salt in the rice cooker and put it in the warm setting and let it sit all day. When I got home, I put it on the cook setting and stirred it for around 10 minutes while it thickened. At this point, some vanilla was added and it's Miller time. Serve warm or cold. Don't use that old recipe - it sucks!

> Thank you. I pass on tapioca and pudding recipes that call for egg.
>
> --
>
> sf

I guess you could call tapioca pudding with egg "American-style."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 09:51:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

> On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 6:42:51 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 00:58:04 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
> >

> > > I dumped half a cup of pearl tapioca, 3 cups milk, half a cup sugar, and salt in the rice cooker and put it in the warm setting and let it sit all day. When I got home, I put it on the cook setting and stirred it for around 10 minutes while it thickened. At this point, some vanilla was added and it's Miller time. Serve warm or cold. Don't use that old recipe - it sucks!

> > Thank you. I pass on tapioca and pudding recipes that call for egg.
> >
> > --
> >
> > sf

> I guess you could call tapioca pudding with egg "American-style."

Maybe you would, but I wouldn't!

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 6:42:06 PM UTC-4, Janet B wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 15:20:14 -0700 (PDT), lenona wrote:
>
> >I don't care much for pearl tapioca and buying the granular kind in those little boxes is pretty expensive, so when I found the latter in a two-pound bag at an Indian store (definitely cheaper per pound), I thought I had it made.
> >
> >Trouble is, when I followed the Joy of Cooking recipe, while I cooked it for maybe 30 minutes, it just didn't thicken and congeal the way I'm used to.
> >
> >Got any ideas?
> >
> >I'm pretty sure this is the recipe I used:
> >
> >https://books.google.com/books?id=C4...ing%22&f=false
> >
> >3 Tbs. tapioca
> >1/2 cup sugar
> >1/4 tsp. salt
> >1 or 2 beaten eggs (I only used one - maybe I should have used two?)
> >2 cups milk
> >1/2 tsp. vanilla
> >
> >You use a double boiler. The total time was supposed to be 12 minutes - but that was for quick-cooking tapioca, which, I assume, was not what I had.. Again, I cooked it for maybe 30 minutes.
> >

> >Lenona.

> Yabbut, you're supposed to mix everything and let it sit and soak for
> 15-20 minutes before cooking.
> That would be my first guess.
> Janet US

Just letting everyone know that I tried it again. I let the tapioca soak in the milk overnight (the kitchen was at 55 F or so) and cooked it in the morning, with egg. Worked reasonably well, with extra cooking time. Maybe sometime I'll try an eggless recipe.

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-12-07 1:58 PM, wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 6:42:06 PM UTC-4, Janet B wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 15:20:14 -0700 (PDT), lenona wrote:
>>
>>> I don't care much for pearl tapioca and buying the granular kind in those little boxes is pretty expensive, so when I found the latter in a two-pound bag at an Indian store (definitely cheaper per pound), I thought I had it made.
>>>
>>> Trouble is, when I followed the Joy of Cooking recipe, while I cooked it for maybe 30 minutes, it just didn't thicken and congeal the way I'm used to.
>>>
>>> Got any ideas?
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure this is the recipe I used:

https://books.google.com/books?id=C4...ing%22&f=false

>>> 3 Tbs. tapioca
>>> 1/2 cup sugar
>>> 1/4 tsp. salt
>>> 1 or 2 beaten eggs (I only used one - maybe I should have used two?)
>>> 2 cups milk
>>> 1/2 tsp. vanilla
>>>
>>> You use a double boiler. The total time was supposed to be 12 minutes - but that was for quick-cooking tapioca, which, I assume, was not what I had. Again, I cooked it for maybe 30 minutes.
>>>

>>> Lenona.

>> Yabbut, you're supposed to mix everything and let it sit and soak for
>> 15-20 minutes before cooking.
>> That would be my first guess.
>> Janet US

> Just letting everyone know that I tried it again. I let the tapioca soak in the milk overnight (the kitchen was at 55 F or so) and cooked it in the morning, with egg. Worked reasonably well, with extra cooking time. Maybe sometime I'll try an eggless recipe.

There are a number of different styles of tapioca, like minute, small
pearl, pearl and huge pearl, like the stuff used in bubble tea. The
minute tapioca is the easiest. You can mix up the tapioca, sugar, milk
and egg and let it sit for 10-20 minutes and then cook it. The small
pearls should soak for an hour or two before adding the rest of the
ingredients and cooking. Regular pearl tapioca should soak in water
overnight to soften it up. The huge pearls should be boiled in water
for a while.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 7, 2017 at 1:59:06 PM UTC-5, lenona wrote:

> Just letting everyone know that I tried it again. I let the tapioca soak in the milk overnight (the kitchen was at 55 F or so) and cooked it in the morning, with egg. Worked reasonably well, with extra cooking time. Maybe sometime I'll try an eggless recipe.

And I tried it again last night - but I doubled the recipe, so that came to over 6 cups. It took about 75 minutes - remember, I was using a double boiler. Yes, tapioca thickens as it cools, but I didn't want to take any chances. It chilled in the fridge, and this morning, it was still easy enough to pour, but overall, thick enough - unless you prefer the type you have to scoop!

While it was cooking (with a lid), I was stirring it every 10-15 minutes. I wonder if it would have been different had I stirred it every 20 minutes....

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 Dave Smith wrote:
>On 2019-12-18 lenona321 wrote:
>> On Thursday, December 7, 2017 lenona wrote:
>>
>>> Just letting everyone know that I tried it again. I let the tapioca
>>> soak in the milk overnight (the kitchen was at 55 F or so) and
>>> cooked it in the morning, with egg. Worked reasonably well, with
>>> extra cooking time. Maybe sometime I'll try an eggless recipe.

>> And I tried it again last night - but I doubled the recipe, so that
>> came to over 6 cups. It took about 75 minutes - remember, I was using
>> a double boiler. Yes, tapioca thickens as it cools, but I didn't want
>> to take any chances. It chilled in the fridge, and this morning, it
>> was still easy enough to pour, but overall, thick enough - unless you
>> prefer the type you have to scoop!
>>
>> While it was cooking (with a lid), I was stirring it every 10-15
>> minutes. I wonder if it would have been different had I stirred it
>> every 20 minutes...

>Lucky you to get pearl tapioca. It is hard to find around here. I
>usually end up cooking minit tapioca because it available. The Asian
>stores sell those huge balls used for bubble tea.

Pick, choose, and refuse:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pearl+tapioca&ref=nb_sb_noss