Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Egg soldiers

Speaking of Chris Kimball, guess who is watching him? (Well, a little
bit) Me! A CK despiser from way back.

Yes, I've been watching back eps of America's Test Kitchen on Netflix.
Not all of 'em, but a few of interest. I was amazed to see the
episode on how to soft boil eggs. Damned if 1/2" water and a 6.5 min
cooking time don't work!! Even works up here at 8K ft elev, where
water boils at about 196 deg F (I added about 20 secs to cook time).
Gonna buy me a Rosle egg topper and a couple egg cups, too. Gotta
give this Limey "egg soldiers" silliness a shot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldiers_(food)

Cheerio, guv'nr
nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/10/2015 10:10 AM, notbob wrote:
> Speaking of Chris Kimball, guess who is watching him? (Well, a little
> bit) Me! A CK despiser from way back.
>
> Yes, I've been watching back eps of America's Test Kitchen on Netflix.
> Not all of 'em, but a few of interest. I was amazed to see the
> episode on how to soft boil eggs. Damned if 1/2" water and a 6.5 min
> cooking time don't work!! Even works up here at 8K ft elev, where
> water boils at about 196 deg F (I added about 20 secs to cook time).
> Gonna buy me a Rosle egg topper and a couple egg cups, too. Gotta
> give this Limey "egg soldiers" silliness a shot.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldiers_(food)
>
> Cheerio, guv'nr
> nb

We called them dips!
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5 Oct 2015 16:10:11 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>Speaking of Chris Kimball, guess who is watching him? (Well, a little
>bit) Me! A CK despiser from way back.
>
>Yes, I've been watching back eps of America's Test Kitchen on Netflix.
>Not all of 'em, but a few of interest. I was amazed to see the
>episode on how to soft boil eggs. Damned if 1/2" water and a 6.5 min
>cooking time don't work!! Even works up here at 8K ft elev, where
>water boils at about 196 deg F (I added about 20 secs to cook time).
>Gonna buy me a Rosle egg topper and a couple egg cups, too. Gotta
>give this Limey "egg soldiers" silliness a shot.

Use to have soldiers a lot as a kid, I still do occasionally.
The best part is when you get heaps of yolk on a soldier, yum

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldiers_(food)

This link might work:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldiers_%28food%29
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/5/2015 11:10 AM, notbob wrote:
> Speaking of Chris Kimball, guess who is watching him? (Well, a little
> bit) Me! A CK despiser from way back.
>
> Yes, I've been watching back eps of America's Test Kitchen on Netflix.
> Not all of 'em, but a few of interest. I was amazed to see the
> episode on how to soft boil eggs. Damned if 1/2" water and a 6.5 min
> cooking time don't work!! Even works up here at 8K ft elev, where
> water boils at about 196 deg F (I added about 20 secs to cook time).
> Gonna buy me a Rosle egg topper and a couple egg cups, too. Gotta
> give this Limey "egg soldiers" silliness a shot.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldiers_(food)
>
> Cheerio, guv'nr
> nb

Oh, the irony - VBG!!! I happen to like the bow-tie guy, but I
appreciate the 'staff' more! As always, YMMV! The two magazines aren't
so shabby either, unlike many others :>

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 Oct 2015 18:16:15 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

>On 10/5/2015 11:10 AM, notbob wrote:
>> Speaking of Chris Kimball, guess who is watching him? (Well, a little
>> bit) Me! A CK despiser from way back.
>>
>> Yes, I've been watching back eps of America's Test Kitchen on Netflix.
>> Not all of 'em, but a few of interest. I was amazed to see the
>> episode on how to soft boil eggs. Damned if 1/2" water and a 6.5 min
>> cooking time don't work!! Even works up here at 8K ft elev, where
>> water boils at about 196 deg F (I added about 20 secs to cook time).
>> Gonna buy me a Rosle egg topper and a couple egg cups, too. Gotta
>> give this Limey "egg soldiers" silliness a shot.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldiers_(food)
>>
>> Cheerio, guv'nr
>> nb
>>

>Oh, the irony - VBG!!! I happen to like the bow-tie guy, but I
>appreciate the 'staff' more! As always, YMMV! The two magazines aren't
>so shabby either, unlike many others :>
>
>Sky

I just got the cookbook of all the recipes, all seasons, including
this season. Good stuff!
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Egg soldiers, Ping Janet US

On 10/5/2015 6:57 PM, Janet B wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Oct 2015 18:16:15 -0500, Sky >
> wrote:
>
>> On 10/5/2015 11:10 AM, notbob wrote:
>>> Speaking of Chris Kimball, guess who is watching him? (Well, a little
>>> bit) Me! A CK despiser from way back.
>>>
>>> Yes, I've been watching back eps of America's Test Kitchen on Netflix.
>>> Not all of 'em, but a few of interest. I was amazed to see the
>>> episode on how to soft boil eggs. Damned if 1/2" water and a 6.5 min
>>> cooking time don't work!! Even works up here at 8K ft elev, where
>>> water boils at about 196 deg F (I added about 20 secs to cook time).
>>> Gonna buy me a Rosle egg topper and a couple egg cups, too. Gotta
>>> give this Limey "egg soldiers" silliness a shot.
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldiers_(food)
>>>
>>> Cheerio, guv'nr
>>> nb
>>>

>> Oh, the irony - VBG!!! I happen to like the bow-tie guy, but I
>> appreciate the 'staff' more! As always, YMMV! The two magazines aren't
>> so shabby either, unlike many others :>
>>
>> Sky

> I just got the cookbook of all the recipes, all seasons, including
> this season. Good stuff!
> Janet US

Would you recommend the book as a holiday (Christmas) gift? My folks
like recipes and cookbooks, etc., so I wonder . . . ? TIA

Sky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-10-05, Sky > wrote:

> I happen to like the bow-tie guy.....

I forgot about the bow-tie thing. Usta be a woman on ba.food (bay
area food, as in SFBA) that always referred to him as "pompous bow-tie
man". That seemed apropos back when I didn't like him.

Chris graduated as a journalism major and wanted to start a publishing
empire. I think he chose food cuz it had the greatest potential to
realize his dreams.

I no longer give a rat's ass, one way or the other.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 5:10:05 PM UTC-7, Sky wrote:
> On 10/5/2015 6:57 PM, Janet B wrote:
> > On Mon, 05 Oct 2015 18:16:15 -0500, Sky >
> > wrote:

> >> Oh, the irony - VBG!!! I happen to like the bow-tie guy, but I
> >> appreciate the 'staff' more! As always, YMMV! The two magazines aren't
> >> so shabby either, unlike many others :>
> >>
> >> Sky

> > I just got the cookbook of all the recipes, all seasons, including
> > this season. Good stuff!
> > Janet US

> Would you recommend the book as a holiday (Christmas) gift? My folks
> like recipes and cookbooks, etc., so I wonder . . . ? TIA

notbob's post reminded me. bowtie man is polarizing. Make sure your parents
don't hate him.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 6:16:17 PM UTC-5, Sky wrote:

> Oh, the irony - VBG!!! I happen to like the bow-tie guy, but I
> appreciate the 'staff' more! As always, YMMV! The two magazines aren't
> so shabby either, unlike many others :>
>
> Sky

Me, too. I don't understand all this hostility toward
Chris Kimball. He doesn't dress tawdrily, he's not grinning
into the camera like an idiot, he doesn't correct people's
pronunciation of 'foreign' words, he doesn't discuss 'table
scapes, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 Oct 2015 19:10:04 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

>On 10/5/2015 6:57 PM, Janet B wrote:
>> On Mon, 05 Oct 2015 18:16:15 -0500, Sky >
>> wrote:

>>> Oh, the irony - VBG!!! I happen to like the bow-tie guy, but I
>>> appreciate the 'staff' more! As always, YMMV! The two magazines aren't
>>> so shabby either, unlike many others :>
>>>
>>> Sky

>> I just got the cookbook of all the recipes, all seasons, including
>> this season. Good stuff!
>> Janet US

>Would you recommend the book as a holiday (Christmas) gift? My folks
>like recipes and cookbooks, etc., so I wonder . . . ? TIA
>
>Sky

Yes. The book is laid out well and so are the recipes. It is a soft
cover, decent page size, not to heavy to be useful. It opens and lies
flat (a big plus) No exotic ingredients. A picture for every recipe.
A reason why the recipe works. And just like the show, everything is
in plain language. I'm enjoying it. Truthfully, I've had the book
about two weeks and I keep changing my mind about what I'm going to
try first. Right now it is bed-time reading.
The Complete Cook's Country TV Show Cookbook (every recipe from all
eight seasons)
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5 Oct 2015 16:10:11 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> Speaking of Chris Kimball, guess who is watching him? (Well, a little
> bit) Me! A CK despiser from way back.
>
> Yes, I've been watching back eps of America's Test Kitchen on Netflix.
> Not all of 'em, but a few of interest. I was amazed to see the
> episode on how to soft boil eggs. Damned if 1/2" water and a 6.5 min
> cooking time don't work!! Even works up here at 8K ft elev, where
> water boils at about 196 deg F (I added about 20 secs to cook time).
> Gonna buy me a Rosle egg topper and a couple egg cups, too. Gotta
> give this Limey "egg soldiers" silliness a shot.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldiers_(food)
>
> Cheerio, guv'nr
> nb

Why spend money on another gadget you don't need? Coddle your eggs in
a small mason jar and dip the soldiers in that.
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/CoddledEgg.htm

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/6/2015 12:44 AM, Janet B wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Oct 2015 19:10:04 -0500, Sky >
> wrote:

>> Would you recommend the book as a holiday (Christmas) gift? My folks
>> like recipes and cookbooks, etc., so I wonder . . . ? TIA

> Yes. The book is laid out well and so are the recipes. It is a soft
> cover, decent page size, not to heavy to be useful. It opens and lies
> flat (a big plus) No exotic ingredients. A picture for every recipe.
> A reason why the recipe works. And just like the show, everything is
> in plain language. I'm enjoying it. Truthfully, I've had the book
> about two weeks and I keep changing my mind about what I'm going to
> try first. Right now it is bed-time reading.
> The Complete Cook's Country TV Show Cookbook (every recipe from all
> eight seasons)

I haven't seen that one, but I imagine it's like the
America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook. A great go-to cookbook
and I haven't made anything from it that wasn't delicious.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pay Attention, Janet B.

Janet B wrote:

> Yes. The book is laid out well and so are the recipes. It is a soft
> cover, decent page size, not to heavy to be useful. It opens and lies
> flat (a big plus) No exotic ingredients. A picture for every recipe.
> A reason why the recipe works. And just like the show, everything is
> in plain language. I'm enjoying it. Truthfully, I've had the book
> about two weeks and I keep changing my mind about what I'm going to
> try first. Right now it is bed-time reading.
> The Complete Cook's Country TV Show Cookbook (every recipe from all
> eight seasons)

Thank you so much for mentioning this book. I probably never would
have known about it otherwise. It sounds like the perfect cookbook to
me. I've always liked to scan for pictures of meals in a cookbook vs a
good cookbook with no pictures.

Just when I thought I would never buy another cookbook, I'm going to
order this one.

One thing to be careful of. If you google this you will get many hits
of older versions. I saw offer for books that covered 5-6-7 seasons. I
finally found the one you have covering 8 seasons.

Thank you again. I'll also use it for bed-time reading for a while
once I get it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/5/2015 7:16 PM, Sky wrote:

> Oh, the irony - VBG!!! I happen to like the bow-tie guy, but I
> appreciate the 'staff' more! As always, YMMV! The two magazines aren't
> so shabby either, unlike many others :>

I get both, too. They're nice to look through without a lot
of extraneous stuff.

I don't have a problem with the bow-tie guy. He kids
around and bust chops, what's not to like. I also love
watching the staff in action. They're all quite personable,
too.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> On 10/5/2015 7:16 PM, Sky wrote:
>
> > Oh, the irony - VBG!!! I happen to like the bow-tie guy, but I
> > appreciate the 'staff' more! As always, YMMV! The two magazines aren't
> > so shabby either, unlike many others :>

> I get both, too. They're nice to look through without a lot
> of extraneous stuff.
>
> I don't have a problem with the bow-tie guy. He kids
> around and bust chops, what's not to like. I also love
> watching the staff in action. They're all quite personable,
> too.

I've always found men wearing bow-ties to not take seriously. They
know it's out of the norm. If I needed a lawyer, I would walk away
from the bow-tie and find another more conservative one.

For a food show though, I don't mind the Chris. He's friendly and
serious and I do like the fellow.

I love both shows. They are my favorite cooking shows. Sadly, I don't
get to watch them anymore. My PBS doesn't carry them. I'll look for
season shows on CD maybe. I *will* buy the cooks county book though.
It sounds well worth the money.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 08:56:58 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Janet B wrote:
>>
>> Yes. The book is laid out well and so are the recipes. It is a soft
>> cover, decent page size, not to heavy to be useful. It opens and lies
>> flat (a big plus) No exotic ingredients. A picture for every recipe.
>> A reason why the recipe works. And just like the show, everything is
>> in plain language. I'm enjoying it. Truthfully, I've had the book
>> about two weeks and I keep changing my mind about what I'm going to
>> try first. Right now it is bed-time reading.
>> The Complete Cook's Country TV Show Cookbook (every recipe from all
>> eight seasons)

>Thank you so much for mentioning this book. I probably never would
>have known about it otherwise. It sounds like the perfect cookbook to
>me. I've always liked to scan for pictures of meals in a cookbook vs a
>good cookbook with no pictures.
>
>Just when I thought I would never buy another cookbook, I'm going to
>order this one.
>
>One thing to be careful of. If you google this you will get many hits
>of older versions. I saw offer for books that covered 5-6-7 seasons. I
>finally found the one you have covering 8 seasons.
>
>Thank you again. I'll also use it for bed-time reading for a while
>once I get it.

You're welcome. I hope you enjoy it.
I waited and waited for all 8 seasons. I don't remember exactly now,
but it seems to me that the other seasons books were priced the same
or even more. I got a pre-order on this one from QVC several months
ago.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 03:16:36 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On 5 Oct 2015 16:10:11 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>> Speaking of Chris Kimball, guess who is watching him? (Well, a little
>> bit) Me! A CK despiser from way back.
>>
>> Yes, I've been watching back eps of America's Test Kitchen on Netflix.
>> Not all of 'em, but a few of interest. I was amazed to see the
>> episode on how to soft boil eggs. Damned if 1/2" water and a 6.5 min
>> cooking time don't work!! Even works up here at 8K ft elev, where
>> water boils at about 196 deg F (I added about 20 secs to cook time).
>> Gonna buy me a Rosle egg topper and a couple egg cups, too. Gotta
>> give this Limey "egg soldiers" silliness a shot.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldiers_(food)
>>
>> Cheerio, guv'nr
>> nb

>Why spend money on another gadget you don't need? Coddle your eggs in
>a small mason jar and dip the soldiers in that.
>http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/CoddledEgg.htm

Shot glasses were what we used for egg cups. I haven't had a
soft-boiled egg since I left home to go to university. Don't know
why.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-10-05, notbob > wrote:
> I was amazed to see the
> episode on how to soft boil eggs. Damned if 1/2" water and a 6.5 min
> cooking time don't work!! Even works up here at 8K ft elev, where
> water boils at about 196 deg F (I added about 20 secs to cook time).

I gotta wonder. ATK's premise for this technique is, steam has 5
times "more energy" than boiling water, so they are having mostly
steam cook the eggs instead of the boiling water. What I wonder
about, why not jes cut to the chase and use a steamer to "steam" the
eggs. Anyone tried steaming eggs?

BTW, I doubt PBTM's tie has much to do with it. In fact, now that I
think about it, I don't even know where to purchase a bow-tie.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Oct 2015 15:22:05 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2015-10-05, notbob > wrote:
>> I was amazed to see the
>> episode on how to soft boil eggs. Damned if 1/2" water and a 6.5 min
>> cooking time don't work!! Even works up here at 8K ft elev, where
>> water boils at about 196 deg F (I added about 20 secs to cook time).

>I gotta wonder. ATK's premise for this technique is, steam has 5
>times "more energy" than boiling water, so they are having mostly
>steam cook the eggs instead of the boiling water. What I wonder
>about, why not jes cut to the chase and use a steamer to "steam" the
>eggs. Anyone tried steaming eggs?
>
>BTW, I doubt PBTM's tie has much to do with it. In fact, now that I
>think about it, I don't even know where to purchase a bow-tie.
>
>nb

When the steaming eggs topic came up here several years ago, I did try
it. The hard cooked eggs did peel beautifully, as advertised. I had
to steam 'on a wing and a prayer' because I couldn't find timing for
the process. I finally settled on the same time I used for cooking
them in water.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-10-06, Janet B > wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 03:16:36 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>Why spend money on another gadget you don't need? Coddle your eggs in
>>a small mason jar and dip the soldiers in that.
>>http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/CoddledEgg.htm

What? An egg coddler is NOT another "gadget"?

Regardless, thank you kindly for the very informative link. I didn't
even know there were such things as an "egg coddler".

> Shot glasses were what we used for egg cups. I haven't had a
> soft-boiled egg since I left home to go to university. Don't know
> why.

I've been eating a Yank's version of toast soldiers since I was a wee
tyke. Basically, the quickest way to get my "Yank's version" is to
put a couple of soft boiled eggs over hand torn buttered toast pieces
(Dave's Killer Bread is jes that!). To make it even faster, I use
over-easy fried eggs, cooked so as not to have any crispy edges and
approx the same doneness as a soft-boiled egg.

OTOH, I love the idea of egg coddlers, which, according to Barbara's
link, is jes a soft boiled egg cooked outside the shell. Yes? No? I
always thought a coddled egg was an almost raw egg. Julia recommends
"simmer for exactly 1 minute":

<http://www.labellecuisine.com/archives/salad/Julia's (Authentic)
Caesar Salad.htm>

.....which is NOT even remotely soft boiled. I'll be reading sf's link
for more details. (who knew!)

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-10-06, Janet B > wrote:

> When the steaming eggs topic came up here several years ago, I did try
> it. The hard cooked eggs did peel beautifully, as advertised. I had
> to steam 'on a wing and a prayer' because I couldn't find timing for
> the process. I finally settled on the same time I used for cooking
> them in water.

I've never tried it. I have learned an egg cooked for 5.5 mins in
boiling water will be jes right, here, at 8K ft elev. I'll give a
steamed egg a shot, today.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/6/2015 9:38 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Try before you buy:

Stalk before you walk.

You attention whoring imbecile.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/5/2015 9:22 PM, wrote:
> On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 5:10:05 PM UTC-7, Sky wrote:
>> On 10/5/2015 6:57 PM, Janet B wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldiers_(food)

>>> I just got the cookbook of all the recipes, all seasons, including
>>> this season. Good stuff!
>>> Janet US

>> Would you recommend the book as a holiday (Christmas) gift? My folks
>> like recipes and cookbooks, etc., so I wonder . . . ? TIA
>>

> notbob's post reminded me. bowtie man is polarizing.

No he isn't.

> Make sure your parents don't hate him.

Oh puleeeze....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-10-06, notbob > wrote:

> I'll give a steamed egg a shot, today.

I tried it and it worked perfectly.

6-1/2 mins in steamer, cool in tepid water for 30 secs, lop off top of
egg. Let us not forget, my steam is only 197 deg F. According to
ATK, the advantage of steam is, same cooking time for one egg or half
dozen eggs. I only did one egg for this effort.

Still, it's brilliant. I'll see if there is an egg topper up at the
lodge. There's usually ten of everything up at the lodge. Maybe even
an egg cup.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-10-06, Embudo > wrote:

> Bow tie people tend to be quirky, but thoughtful.

I'd say nerdy, but imperious. IOW, know-it-alls.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/6/2015 3:09 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2015-10-06, Embudo > wrote:
>
>> Bow tie people tend to be quirky, but thoughtful.

> I'd say nerdy, but imperious. IOW, know-it-alls.
>
> nb

I'd agree on nerdy, but I find them in many cases to be engineering
-minded and practical.

YMMV
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-10-06, Embudo > wrote:

> I'd agree on nerdy, but I find them in many cases to be engineering
> -minded and practical.

You've obviously never worked with engineers. "Engineering-minded and
practical" is an oxymoron.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Oct 2015 21:03:47 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2015-10-06, notbob > wrote:
>
>> I'll give a steamed egg a shot, today.

>I tried it and it worked perfectly.
>
>6-1/2 mins in steamer, cool in tepid water for 30 secs, lop off top of
>egg. Let us not forget, my steam is only 197 deg F. According to
>ATK, the advantage of steam is, same cooking time for one egg or half
>dozen eggs. I only did one egg for this effort.
>
>Still, it's brilliant. I'll see if there is an egg topper up at the
>lodge. There's usually ten of everything up at the lodge. Maybe even
>an egg cup.

Any noticeable difference in the end result?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Oct 2015 22:02:41 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>You've obviously never worked with engineers. "Engineering-minded and
>practical" is an oxymoron.

The first thing I thought of when reading your comment was British
cars from the 50's, 60's and 70's. If they could find a way to
unnecessarily complicate and/or makes things difficult for no good
reason - that was the way to go apparently.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 8:49:46 AM UTC-7, notbob wrote:
> On 2015-10-06, Janet B > wrote:
> > On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 03:16:36 -0700, sf > wrote:

> >>Why spend money on another gadget you don't need? Coddle your eggs in
> >>a small mason jar and dip the soldiers in that.
> >>http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/CoddledEgg.htm

> What? An egg coddler is NOT another "gadget"?
>
> Regardless, thank you kindly for the very informative link. I didn't
> even know there were such things as an "egg coddler".
>
> > Shot glasses were what we used for egg cups. I haven't had a
> > soft-boiled egg since I left home to go to university. Don't know
> > why.

> I've been eating a Yank's version of toast soldiers since I was a wee
> tyke. Basically, the quickest way to get my "Yank's version" is to
> put a couple of soft boiled eggs over hand torn buttered toast pieces
> (Dave's Killer Bread is jes that!). To make it even faster, I use
> over-easy fried eggs, cooked so as not to have any crispy edges and
> approx the same doneness as a soft-boiled egg.

I have a terrible won-loss record when it comes to over easy eggs. I shove
in the spatula, I lift, I sob as I break the yolk.

For me, poaching eggs is a lot easier. My only problem is that I need
to focus on one at a time. But the coddler lets me cook four at a time,
because we have four coddlers. They are attractive Royal Worchester, that
I got on sale decades ago.

> OTOH, I love the idea of egg coddlers, which, according to Barbara's
> link, is jes a soft boiled egg cooked outside the shell. Yes? No? I
> always thought a coddled egg was an almost raw egg. Julia recommends
> "simmer for exactly 1 minute":

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-10-06 6:02 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2015-10-06, Embudo > wrote:
>
>> I'd agree on nerdy, but I find them in many cases to be engineering
>> -minded and practical.

> You've obviously never worked with engineers. "Engineering-minded and
> practical" is an oxymoron.

My late brother in law was a engineer. He loved to plan things. He would
spend hours and hours and hours making scale diagrams and writing out
detailed plans about how to tackle a simple project that a competent
handyman could have completed in less than an hour.

As an example.... he spent more than a day on a plan to install a roof
peak ventilation thingamabob on his ski chalet. He bought a saw with a
special diamond studded blade to slice a line through the shingles. Then
he spent four hours sketching and writing plans on how to best cut the
straight line to remove the shingles. When his plan failed he finally
agreed to my plan which was to simply pop off the cap shingles and cut
though the exposed plywood. My plan involved less than an hour of work,
less than a quarter the time he spent on his useless plan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-10-06 6:12 PM, Je�us wrote:

> The first thing I thought of when reading your comment was British
> cars from the 50's, 60's and 70's. If they could find a way to
> unnecessarily complicate and/or makes things difficult for no good
> reason - that was the way to go apparently.

One of the funniest things I ever heard was a story about an astronaut
getting seated in a rocket that was to take him into Orbit and looking
at a switch and seeing the manufacturer's name.... Lucas.

Then there is the question about why the English drink their beer warm
..... refrigeration by Lucas.