Old 11-09-2015, 04:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Taco salad shells

I finally got around to buying some of those molds for baking taco salad
shells from tortillas. But... They came with no instructions. I just
winged it. Softened the flour tortillas slightly in the microwave.
Attempted to fit them into the molds. Maybe needed to soften them a tiny
bit more as they didn't entirely conform but the end result as far as shape
was fine. They worked. But... They didn't crisp up!

I had the oven on to 350 as I was baking a carrot cake. I took them out
when the edges began to brown as I didn't want them to burn. but the
bottoms were still a bit soft. Letting them sit for a few minutes seemed to
help. My husband ate his right away. No complaints. But I am dawdling
over mine and now it has sort of melted down to a soggy mess.

So where did I go wrong? Should I have oiled the tortilla? Baked it at a
different temp.? Thanks.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 10:43:04 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

I finally got around to buying some of those molds for baking taco salad
shells from tortillas.

I know before even touching my keyboard you will shoot my
suggestions down and everybody else who is crazy enough to
reply to you. But you could have saved yourself some money
and just draped the tortillas over and inverted metal bowl.

I know, I know, it wouldn't work in your kitchen. Carry on.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 20:42:49 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

I finally got around to buying some of those molds for baking taco salad
shells from tortillas. But... They came with no instructions. I just
winged it. Softened the flour tortillas slightly in the microwave.
Attempted to fit them into the molds. Maybe needed to soften them a tiny
bit more as they didn't entirely conform but the end result as far as shape
was fine. They worked. But... They didn't crisp up!

I had the oven on to 350 as I was baking a carrot cake. I took them out
when the edges began to brown as I didn't want them to burn. but the
bottoms were still a bit soft. Letting them sit for a few minutes seemed to
help. My husband ate his right away. No complaints. But I am dawdling
over mine and now it has sort of melted down to a soggy mess.

So where did I go wrong? Should I have oiled the tortilla? Baked it at a
different temp.? Thanks.

I think the crispy taco salad shells are fried.

I KNOW they contain a lot of fat.

John Kuthe...

Old 11-09-2015, 06:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 10:43:04 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

I finally got around to buying some of those molds for baking taco salad
shells from tortillas.

I know before even touching my keyboard you will shoot my
suggestions down and everybody else who is crazy enough to
reply to you. But you could have saved yourself some money
and just draped the tortillas over and inverted metal bowl.

Gee... Then I would have something bowl shaped. Unlike the fluted shape of
the shells that I wanted.

I know, I know, it wouldn't work in your kitchen. Carry on.

I'm not going to distort my bowls.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah. But I'm not going to start frying things.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 20:42:49 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

I finally got around to buying some of those molds for baking taco salad
shells from tortillas. But... They came with no instructions. I just
winged it. Softened the flour tortillas slightly in the microwave.
Attempted to fit them into the molds. Maybe needed to soften them a tiny
bit more as they didn't entirely conform but the end result as far as
shape
was fine. They worked. But... They didn't crisp up!

Of course not. They're supposed to be fried to crisp up. The only
thing you can do in the oven is dehydrate them, but you won't like the
texture. Sure, you can dredge them in oil and then bake, but the
texture will still not be what you get in restaurants.

What did you find out when you searched the web for how to use those
molds to make salad bowls?

I didn't look online. I've been busy.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 12:00:48 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

wrote in message

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 10:43:04 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

I finally got around to buying some of those molds for baking taco salad
shells from tortillas.

I know before even touching my keyboard you will shoot my
suggestions down and everybody else who is crazy enough to
reply to you. But you could have saved yourself some money
and just draped the tortillas over and inverted metal bowl.

Gee... Then I would have something bowl shaped. Unlike the fluted shape of
the shells that I wanted.

I know, I know, it wouldn't work in your kitchen. Carry on.

I'm not going to distort my bowls.

Eye roll. Not surprised at your silly answer at all.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 10:43:04 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

I finally got around to buying some of those molds for baking taco salad
shells from tortillas.

I know before even touching my keyboard you will shoot my
suggestions down and everybody else who is crazy enough to
reply to you. But you could have saved yourself some money
and just draped the tortillas over and inverted metal bowl.

I know, I know, it wouldn't work in your kitchen. Carry on.

Over an upside down microwave safe bowl in the microwave works fine too,
just have to watch them carefully.

Cheri

Old 11-09-2015, 10:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 10:43:04 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

I finally got around to buying some of those molds for baking taco
salad
shells from tortillas.

I know before even touching my keyboard you will shoot my
suggestions down and everybody else who is crazy enough to
reply to you. But you could have saved yourself some money
and just draped the tortillas over and inverted metal bowl.

Gee... Then I would have something bowl shaped. Unlike the fluted shape
of
the shells that I wanted.

I know, I know, it wouldn't work in your kitchen. Carry on.

I'm not going to distort my bowls.

Eye roll. Not surprised at your silly answer at all.

Have you never eaten one? If you have, did you really have a shell that was
bowl shaped? I never have.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 10:43:04 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

I finally got around to buying some of those molds for baking taco salad
shells from tortillas.

I know before even touching my keyboard you will shoot my
suggestions down and everybody else who is crazy enough to
reply to you. But you could have saved yourself some money
and just draped the tortillas over and inverted metal bowl.

I know, I know, it wouldn't work in your kitchen. Carry on.

Over an upside down microwave safe bowl in the microwave works fine too,
just have to watch them carefully.

I suppose that would work if I wanted a bowl shape. I have never actually
seen a taco salad served in a bowl shaped shell. Always the crown shape.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

So where did I go wrong? Should I have oiled the tortilla? Baked it at a
different temp.? Thanks.

I would Google it and look at 3-4 hits and see what they say.

Just guessing here, I think some of the others are correct in saying
that they need to be fried.

To cook in the oven, I would try lightly oiling them, press into the
mold and then bake at a higher temp than 350 for less time. I would
try 450-475

You just need to experiment and you'll get it right.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

"Cheri" wrote
Over an upside down microwave safe bowl in the microwave works fine too,
just have to watch them carefully.

I suppose that would work if I wanted a bowl shape. I have never actually
seen a taco salad served in a bowl shaped shell. Always the crown shape.

Isn't a crown shape just a fancier bowl? For family home eating, does
it really matter as long as it's cooked right and holds whatever
filling?
Old 11-09-2015, 11:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 5:24:21 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
"Cheri" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 10:43:04 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

I finally got around to buying some of those molds for baking taco salad
shells from tortillas.

I know before even touching my keyboard you will shoot my
suggestions down and everybody else who is crazy enough to
reply to you. But you could have saved yourself some money
and just draped the tortillas over and inverted metal bowl.

I know, I know, it wouldn't work in your kitchen. Carry on.

Over an upside down microwave safe bowl in the microwave works fine too,
just have to watch them carefully.

I suppose that would work if I wanted a bowl shape. I have never actually
seen a taco salad served in a bowl shaped shell. Always the crown shape.

Why does the exact shape matter? It's a thingy to hold a salad.
An actual bowl would work as well.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 11-09-2015, 12:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...
Julie Bove wrote:

So where did I go wrong? Should I have oiled the tortilla? Baked it at
different temp.? Thanks.

I would Google it and look at 3-4 hits and see what they say.

Just guessing here, I think some of the others are correct in saying
that they need to be fried.

To cook in the oven, I would try lightly oiling them, press into the
mold and then bake at a higher temp than 350 for less time. I would
try 450-475

You just need to experiment and you'll get it right.

I have since looked and it said 375 for 10-15 minutes. I did not time mine
but I would say more like 4-5 minutes at the most. Also the pics that I see
online are quite dark. I feared burning so took them out when they were
just beginning to brown. At any rate, everyone loved the taco salads and
the other two loved their Seahawks Nachos. Albertsons sells various colored
chips, freshly made.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...
Julie Bove wrote:

"Cheri" wrote
Over an upside down microwave safe bowl in the microwave works fine
too,
just have to watch them carefully.

I suppose that would work if I wanted a bowl shape. I have never
actually
seen a taco salad served in a bowl shaped shell. Always the crown shape.

Isn't a crown shape just a fancier bowl? For family home eating, does
it really matter as long as it's cooked right and holds whatever
filling?

Not in my opinion. I like to tuck things like olives into the points of the
crown shape. When I make things like taco salads, they do look fancy. If
you had just a bowl shape, I think it would lead to a big, sloppy mess.
Besides... I already bought the molds. They were super cheap. And I
intended to use them.