Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

Default BBQ in a towel?!??!?

Got to get some disposable towels.

Now this is pure perfect campfire food!

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/l...alt-crust.html

My wife is Colombian, and at this point I've been to the country often
enough that I've gotten accustomed to its eating culture, aware of its
most classic dishes and regional specialties. So I was pleasantly
surprised when, on my most recent visit, her family suggested we try
lomo al trapo, a preparation I'd never heard of.* Literally translated
as "beef tenderloin in a towel," it's made by wrapping a big chunk of
beef tenderloin in a thick crust of salt swaddled in a towel, tying it
up, and throwing it directly on a fire until it's cooked.

It's one of the easiest, most foolproof, primally delicious, and
downright impressive methods of cooking beef I've ever seen. I flat-out
guarantee that every single one of your guests will be floored. All it
takes is three ingredients, a few basic kitchen supplies, and a fire. No
pots, pans, or even a grill required.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 12:04:54 -0600, los Golondrinas > wrote:

> Got to get some disposable towels.
>
> Now this is pure perfect campfire food!
>
> http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/l...alt-crust.html
>
> My wife is Colombian, and at this point I've been to the country often
> enough that I've gotten accustomed to its eating culture, aware of its
> most classic dishes and regional specialties. So I was pleasantly
> surprised when, on my most recent visit, her family suggested we try
> lomo al trapo, a preparation I'd never heard of.* Literally translated
> as "beef tenderloin in a towel," it's made by wrapping a big chunk of
> beef tenderloin in a thick crust of salt swaddled in a towel, tying it
> up, and throwing it directly on a fire until it's cooked.
>
> It's one of the easiest, most foolproof, primally delicious, and
> downright impressive methods of cooking beef I've ever seen. I flat-out
> guarantee that every single one of your guests will be floored. All it
> takes is three ingredients, a few basic kitchen supplies, and a fire. No
> pots, pans, or even a grill required.

Nice variation to Caveman style for those who don't like char as much
as I do.

--
Elitist Snob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/2015 11:40 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 12:04:54 -0600, los Golondrinas > wrote:
>

>> Got to get some disposable towels.
>>
>> Now this is pure perfect campfire food!
>>
>> http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/l...alt-crust.html
>>
>> My wife is Colombian, and at this point I've been to the country often
>> enough that I've gotten accustomed to its eating culture, aware of its
>> most classic dishes and regional specialties. So I was pleasantly
>> surprised when, on my most recent visit, her family suggested we try
>> lomo al trapo, a preparation I'd never heard of.* Literally translated
>> as "beef tenderloin in a towel," it's made by wrapping a big chunk of
>> beef tenderloin in a thick crust of salt swaddled in a towel, tying it
>> up, and throwing it directly on a fire until it's cooked.
>>
>> It's one of the easiest, most foolproof, primally delicious, and
>> downright impressive methods of cooking beef I've ever seen. I flat-out
>> guarantee that every single one of your guests will be floored. All it
>> takes is three ingredients, a few basic kitchen supplies, and a fire. No
>> pots, pans, or even a grill required.

> Nice variation to Caveman style for those who don't like char as much
> as I do.

It certainly has it's appeal as a novelty cook, that's for sure.

I think the brandy flambe to finish is aces.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 8/28/2015 2:04 PM, los Golondrinas wrote:

> Got to get some disposable towels.
>
> Now this is pure perfect campfire food!
>
> http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/l...alt-crust.html
>

> My wife is Colombian, and at this point I've been to the country often
> enough that I've gotten accustomed to its eating culture, aware of its
> most classic dishes and regional specialties. So I was pleasantly
> surprised when, on my most recent visit, her family suggested we try
> lomo al trapo, a preparation I'd never heard of.* Literally translated
> as "beef tenderloin in a towel," it's made by wrapping a big chunk of
> beef tenderloin in a thick crust of salt swaddled in a towel, tying it
> up, and throwing it directly on a fire until it's cooked.
>
> It's one of the easiest, most foolproof, primally delicious, and
> downright impressive methods of cooking beef I've ever seen. I flat-out
> guarantee that every single one of your guests will be floored. All it
> takes is three ingredients, a few basic kitchen supplies, and a fire. No
> pots, pans, or even a grill required.

That certainly looks good to me. If I get to put a fire pit back
together I'll try it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 10:54:28 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On 8/28/2015 2:04 PM, los Golondrinas wrote:
> >
> > Got to get some disposable towels.
> >
> > Now this is pure perfect campfire food!
> >
> > http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/l...alt-crust.html

<snip>

> That certainly looks good to me. If I get to put a fire pit back
> together I'll try it.

What they wrapped it in looks like cheesecloth to me.

--
Elitist Snob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 30, 2015 at 11:11:54 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 10:54:28 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> > On 8/28/2015 2:04 PM, los Golondrinas wrote:
> > >
> > > Got to get some disposable towels.
> > >
> > > Now this is pure perfect campfire food!
> > >
> > > http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/l...alt-crust.html
> > >

> <snip>
> >
> > That certainly looks good to me. If I get to put a fire pit back
> > together I'll try it.

> What they wrapped it in looks like cheesecloth to me.

They tried various things, including cheesecloth and tea towels. The
cheesecloth was not actually their favorite.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 8/30/2015 8:54 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 8/28/2015 2:04 PM, los Golondrinas wrote:
>>
>> Got to get some disposable towels.
>>
>> Now this is pure perfect campfire food!
>>
>> http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/l...alt-crust.html
>>

>> My wife is Colombian, and at this point I've been to the country often
>> enough that I've gotten accustomed to its eating culture, aware of its
>> most classic dishes and regional specialties. So I was pleasantly
>> surprised when, on my most recent visit, her family suggested we try
>> lomo al trapo, a preparation I'd never heard of.* Literally translated
>> as "beef tenderloin in a towel," it's made by wrapping a big chunk of
>> beef tenderloin in a thick crust of salt swaddled in a towel, tying it
>> up, and throwing it directly on a fire until it's cooked.
>>
>> It's one of the easiest, most foolproof, primally delicious, and
>> downright impressive methods of cooking beef I've ever seen. I flat-out
>> guarantee that every single one of your guests will be floored. All it
>> takes is three ingredients, a few basic kitchen supplies, and a fire. No
>> pots, pans, or even a grill required.

> That certainly looks good to me. If I get to put a fire pit back
> together I'll try it.

We've done this a few times when camping.

But you need to be able to part with some cheap kitchen towels without
remorse.

That said, it darned well works.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/30/2015 9:11 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 10:54:28 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 8/28/2015 2:04 PM, los Golondrinas wrote:
>>>
>>> Got to get some disposable towels.
>>>
>>> Now this is pure perfect campfire food!
>>>
>>> http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/l...alt-crust.html
>>>

> <snip>
>>
>> That certainly looks good to me. If I get to put a fire pit back
>> together I'll try it.

> What they wrapped it in looks like cheesecloth to me.

It does, yes.

I see no reason that wouldn't work just fine.

I use cheap terry cloth shop towels.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 10:54:28 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> > On 8/28/2015 2:04 PM, los Golondrinas wrote:
> > >
> > > Got to get some disposable towels.
> > >
> > > Now this is pure perfect campfire food!
> > >
> > > http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/l...ombian-beef-te
> > > nderloin-towel-wrapped-salt-crust.html
> > >

> <snip>
> >
> > That certainly looks good to me. If I get to put a fire pit back
> > together I'll try it.

> What they wrapped it in looks like cheesecloth to me.

Me too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/30/2015 10:19 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, August 30, 2015 at 11:11:54 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:

>> <snip>
>>>
>>> That certainly looks good to me. If I get to put a fire pit back
>>> together I'll try it.

>> What they wrapped it in looks like cheesecloth to me.

> They tried various things, including cheesecloth and tea towels. The
> cheesecloth was not actually their favorite.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I swear by cotton terry shop towels.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-08-30, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> That certainly looks good to me. If I get to put a fire pit back
> together I'll try it.

I suspect the amazing results has more to do with the quality of the
meat than with the method of cooking.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/30/2015 11:12 AM, cshenk wrote:
> sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> <snip>
>>>
>>> That certainly looks good to me. If I get to put a fire pit back
>>> together I'll try it.

>> What they wrapped it in looks like cheesecloth to me.

> Me too.

I works, but a cotton shop towel is best.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/30/2015 11:24 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2015-08-30, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>>
>> That certainly looks good to me. If I get to put a fire pit back
>> together I'll try it.

> I suspect the amazing results has more to do with the quality of the
> meat than with the method of cooking.
>
> nb

Not really.

It's a sound method, even with choice grade beef.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 8/30/2015 8:54 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 8/28/2015 2:04 PM, los Golondrinas wrote:
>>
>> Got to get some disposable towels.
>>
>> Now this is pure perfect campfire food!
>>
>> http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/l...alt-crust.html
>>

>> My wife is Colombian, and at this point I've been to the country often
>> enough that I've gotten accustomed to its eating culture, aware of its
>> most classic dishes and regional specialties. So I was pleasantly
>> surprised when, on my most recent visit, her family suggested we try
>> lomo al trapo, a preparation I'd never heard of.* Literally translated
>> as "beef tenderloin in a towel," it's made by wrapping a big chunk of
>> beef tenderloin in a thick crust of salt swaddled in a towel, tying it
>> up, and throwing it directly on a fire until it's cooked.
>>
>> It's one of the easiest, most foolproof, primally delicious, and
>> downright impressive methods of cooking beef I've ever seen. I flat-out
>> guarantee that every single one of your guests will be floored. All it
>> takes is three ingredients, a few basic kitchen supplies, and a fire. No
>> pots, pans, or even a grill required.

> That certainly looks good to me. If I get to put a fire pit back
> together I'll try it.

You will be pleased with the results, just be sure to get that meat off
early (115-20F) so it doesn't retain heat and overcook.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 11:32:15 -0600, los Golondrinas > wrote:

> On 8/30/2015 11:12 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> <snip>

> >> What they wrapped it in looks like cheesecloth to me.

> > Me too.
> >

> I works, but a cotton shop towel is best.

Does it put any char on the meat?

--
Elitist Snob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/30/2015 1:15 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 11:32:15 -0600, los Golondrinas > wrote:

>>> Me too.
>>>

>> I works, but a cotton shop towel is best.

> Does it put any char on the meat?

Excellent question, given it has a terry texture - not that much - hence
the finish with a brandy or cognac flambe!

It's a beef tenderloin so it's quite lean and I always remove the silver
skin before cooking.

If it's campfire cooking we'll unwrap the meat when done, spike it with
a long BBQ fork, then douse with peach brandy and briefly flame it.

You get enough char-crust to satisfy.

No complaints, ever.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 11:32:15 -0600, los Golondrinas > wrote:

>> > Me too.
>> >

>> I works, but a cotton shop towel is best.

> Does it put any char on the meat?

The towel is just to hold all the salt in place.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/30/2015 2:56 PM, taxed and spent wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message

>>> I works, but a cotton shop towel is best.

>> Does it put any char on the meat?
>>

> The towel is just to hold all the salt in place.

That's basically true, plus it acts as an extra insulator to keep the
moisture and heat in.

There certainly are plenty of recipes for salt crusted tenderloins that
one bakes in the oven:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...st-recipe.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/31/2015 3:24 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2015-08-30, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>>
>> That certainly looks good to me. If I get to put a fire pit back
>> together I'll try it.

> I suspect the amazing results has more to do with the quality of the
> meat than with the method of cooking.
>
> nb

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default BBQ in a bowel?!??!?

On 8/31/2015 12:54 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 8/28/2015 2:04 PM, los Golondrinas wrote:
>>
>> Got to get some disposable towels.
>>
>> Now this is pure perfect campfire food!
>>
>> http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/l...alt-crust.html
>>

>> My wife is Colombian, and at this point I've been to the country often
>> enough that I've gotten accustomed to its eating culture, aware of its
>> most classic dishes and regional specialties. So I was pleasantly
>> surprised when, on my most recent visit, her family suggested we try
>> lomo al trapo, a preparation I'd never heard of.* Literally translated
>> as "beef tenderloin in a towel," it's made by wrapping a big chunk of
>> beef tenderloin in a thick crust of salt swaddled in a towel, tying it
>> up, and throwing it directly on a fire until it's cooked.
>>
>> It's one of the easiest, most foolproof, primally delicious, and
>> downright impressive methods of cooking beef I've ever seen. I flat-out
>> guarantee that every single one of your guests will be floored. All it
>> takes is three ingredients, a few basic kitchen supplies, and a fire. No
>> pots, pans, or even a grill required.

> That certainly looks crap to me. If I get to put a fire pit back
> together I'll sure wont try it.

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/31/2015 6:56 AM, taxed and spent wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message

>>> I works, but a cotton shop towel is best.

>> Does it put any char on the meat?
>>

> The towel is just to hold all the salt in place.

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

los Golondrinas said

> On 8/30/2015 8:54 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 8/28/2015 2:04 PM, los Golondrinas wrote:
>>>
>>> Got to get some disposable towels.
>>>
>>> Now this is pure perfect campfire food!
>>>
>>> http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/l...bian-beef-tend
>>> erloin-towel-wrapped-salt-crust.html

> You will be pleased with the results, just be sure to get that meat
> off early (115-20F) so it doesn't retain heat and overcook.

Sorry for responding to such an old post.

Anyway, anyone tried this in the fireplace? In the home?

--
Better living through smoking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2016 6:55 AM, Heavy_Smoker wrote:
> los Golondrinas said

>> You will be pleased with the results, just be sure to get that meat
>> off early (115-20F) so it doesn't retain heat and overcook.

> Sorry for responding to such an old post.
>
> Anyway, anyone tried this in the fireplace? In the home?

Using one of these?

http://www.menards.com/main/heating-...4436307727.htm