Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Paper towel rant

Why, Oh why did the paper companies come out with those totally useless
half-towel perforations? I can't see ANY advantage in them whatsoever.
When you need a whole sheet you have a weak center line which will invariably
rip when you gather any mess with it. I will never buy any brand which has
those stupid perforations and claims that they are better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:
> Why, Oh why did the paper companies come out with those totally
> useless half-towel perforations? I can't see ANY advantage in them
> whatsoever.
> When you need a whole sheet you have a weak center line which will
> invariably rip when you gather any mess with it. I will never buy any
> brand which has those stupid perforations and claims that they are
> better.

Some people like them, some people don't. I"m with you but the brand I
buy comes both ways - just be sure to buy the kind you like.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 9:43*pm, "Steve Freides" > wrote:

> Roy wrote:
>
> > Why, Oh why did the paper companies come out with those totally
> > useless half-towel perforations? I can't see ANY advantage in them
> > whatsoever.
> > When you need a whole sheet you have a weak center line which will
> > invariably rip when you gather any mess with it. I will never buy any
> > brand which has those stupid perforations and claims that they are
> > better.

> Some people like them, some people don't. *I"m with you but the brand I
> buy comes both ways - just be sure to buy the kind you like.
>
> -S-

I agree.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/12/2012 9:55 PM, Roy wrote:
> Why, Oh why did the paper companies come out with those totally useless
> half-towel perforations? I can't see ANY advantage in them whatsoever.
> When you need a whole sheet you have a weak center line which will invariably
> rip when you gather any mess with it. I will never buy any brand which has
> those stupid perforations and claims that they are better.

I like the half sheets. A lot of time I only need half a regular sheet.
There is no point in using the whole sheet if you only need half of it.
It you need regular sized sheet you can use two of the small ones.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> Why, Oh why did the paper companies come out with those totally useless
> half-towel perforations? I can't see ANY advantage in them whatsoever.
> When you need a whole sheet you have a weak center line which will
> invariably
> rip when you gather any mess with it. I will never buy any brand which has
> those stupid perforations and claims that they are better.

I love the half towels. Most of the time I don't need the whole thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 08/12/2012 9:55 PM, Roy wrote:
>> Why, Oh why did the paper companies come out with those totally useless
>> half-towel perforations? I can't see ANY advantage in them whatsoever.
>> When you need a whole sheet you have a weak center line which will
>> invariably
>> rip when you gather any mess with it. I will never buy any brand which
>> has
>> those stupid perforations and claims that they are better.
>>

> I like the half sheets. A lot of time I only need half a regular sheet.
> There is no point in using the whole sheet if you only need half of it. It
> you need regular sized sheet you can use two of the small ones.

Eek! We agree on something. That's scary.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 18:55:39 -0800 (PST), Roy >
wrote:

>Why, Oh why did the paper companies come out with those totally useless
>half-towel perforations? I can't see ANY advantage in them whatsoever.
>When you need a whole sheet you have a weak center line which will invariably
>rip when you gather any mess with it. I will never buy any brand which has
>those stupid perforations and claims that they are better.

I love the half sheets. That is all we buy. Much less waste that way
when you need only a small piece of the towel. I bet 99% of the time
I only take a half size segment.

Oh, you may not understand this, but there are times I even tear that
portion in half. That is still enough to wipe something off of my
glasses, blow my nose, wipe a bottle top or jar rim.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 8, 2012 9:56:40 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 08/12/2012 9:55 PM, Roy wrote:
>
> > Why, Oh why did the paper companies come out with those totally useless

> > half-towel perforations? I can't see ANY advantage in them whatsoever.

> > When you need a whole sheet you have a weak center line which will invariably

> > rip when you gather any mess with it. I will never buy any brand which has

> > those stupid perforations and claims that they are better.

> I like the half sheets. A lot of time I only need half a regular sheet.
>
> There is no point in using the whole sheet if you only need half of it.
>
> It you need regular sized sheet you can use two of the small ones.

I like them too, though we use very few paper towels. They're really expensive. I have certain coworkers who use many times the amount of paper towels needed for a given task. Heck, it's not like they are paying for them, but it might not even be that. I've seen people at home use paper towels really liberally. I think, "Heck, isn't this person thinking about the cost?" but I guess they aren't. They seem to be putting paper towels into exactly the same category as toilet paper, which is stupid. There really is no substitute for TP. You wouldn't use a rag, or spare newspaper as a substitute.

Tell you, when I clean the grease off my range burners--and believe me there is grease because I fry a lot--I use newspaper. To wipe off surfaces like tables and counters, I use microfiber cloths and rinse them several times.. Paper towels are reserved for final cleanings of greasy things, where I wouldn't want to mess up my microfiber cloths. Using paper towels to dry hands at home seems really wasteful.

A tangent: I don't know why anyone would ever buy a cotton dishrag. They get mildewy because mildew eats cotton. Microfiber works better and you just put them in the clothes washer.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 18:55:39 -0800 (PST), Roy >
> wrote:
>
>>Why, Oh why did the paper companies come out with those totally useless
>>half-towel perforations? I can't see ANY advantage in them whatsoever.
>>When you need a whole sheet you have a weak center line which will
>>invariably
>>rip when you gather any mess with it. I will never buy any brand which has
>>those stupid perforations and claims that they are better.
>>

> I love the half sheets. That is all we buy. Much less waste that way
> when you need only a small piece of the towel. I bet 99% of the time
> I only take a half size segment.
>
> Oh, you may not understand this, but there are times I even tear that
> portion in half. That is still enough to wipe something off of my
> glasses, blow my nose, wipe a bottle top or jar rim.

I'm in complete agreement, Ed. Even down to the 1/4 sheet.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Why, Oh why did the paper companies come out with those totally useless
half-towel perforations? I can't see ANY advantage in them whatsoever.
When you need a whole sheet you have a weak center line which will
invariably
rip when you gather any mess with it. I will never buy any brand which has
those stupid perforations and claims that they are better.

And I have learned that we hardly ever need them of any size. The laundry
is going to have to be done. It will have sheets, towels and such any way.
Doesn't matter if I toss in one or a dozen dish towels. Not saying we don't
have at least two or more rolls of paper towels on the ready and not saying
I stay up nights worrying about trees. Just a silly economy maybe but I
find a dish towel so much more capable than a wimpy paper towel. Except for
real yick. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 9:55*pm, Roy > wrote:
> Why, Oh why did the paper companies come out with those totally useless
> half-towel perforations? I can't see ANY advantage in them whatsoever.
> When you need a whole sheet you have a weak center line which will invariably
> rip when you gather any mess with it. I will never buy any brand which has
> those stupid perforations and claims that they are better.

I hate them too. For some reason, they never tear where I want them
to. If I want just a half sheet I'll end up tearing off a whole
sheet, and if I want a whole sheet it'll start to tear at the half
sheet mark. Yes, I know if I'm more careful that won't happen, but
the whole point of the paper towels being perforated is so one can
unroll and tear at the same time. They never tear at the right spot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Why, Oh why did the paper companies come out with those totally useless
> half-towel perforations? I can't see ANY advantage in them whatsoever.

HAHA - different strokes! You and I are polar opposites, I LOVE,
love, love half sheets and curse every single whole sheet before
ripping it in half.

> When you need a whole sheet you have a weak center line which will invariably
> rip when you gather any mess with it.

I fold my whole sheets in half before I use them, so a perforated line
when I'm using two halves doesn't matter to me.

> I will never buy any brand which has
> those stupid perforations and claims that they are better.

And I look for them. I recently bought not one, but two huge packs of
half sheet paper towels from Costco.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> On 08/12/2012 9:55 PM, Roy wrote:
>>> Why, Oh why did the paper companies come out with those totally useless
>>> half-towel perforations? I can't see ANY advantage in them whatsoever.
>>> When you need a whole sheet you have a weak center line which will
>>> invariably
>>> rip when you gather any mess with it. I will never buy any brand which
>>> has
>>> those stupid perforations and claims that they are better.
>>>

>> I like the half sheets. A lot of time I only need half a regular sheet.
>> There is no point in using the whole sheet if you only need half of it.
>> It you need regular sized sheet you can use two of the small ones.

> Eek! We agree on something. That's scary.

Count me in too. I really hate them, and only buy them by mistake
occasionally.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 18:55:39 -0800 (PST), Roy >
> wrote:
>
>> Why, Oh why did the paper companies come out with those totally useless
>> half-towel perforations? I can't see ANY advantage in them whatsoever.

> HAHA - different strokes! You and I are polar opposites, I LOVE,
> love, love half sheets and curse every single whole sheet before
> ripping it in half.
>
>> When you need a whole sheet you have a weak center line which will
>> invariably
>> rip when you gather any mess with it.

> I fold my whole sheets in half before I use them, so a perforated line
> when I'm using two halves doesn't matter to me.
>
>> I will never buy any brand which has
>> those stupid perforations and claims that they are better.
>>

> And I look for them. I recently bought not one, but two huge packs of
> half sheet paper towels from Costco.

See, there really is something for everybody!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 23:34:42 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

>And I have learned that we hardly ever need them of any size. The laundry
>is going to have to be done. It will have sheets, towels and such any way.
>Doesn't matter if I toss in one or a dozen dish towels. Not saying we don't
>have at least two or more rolls of paper towels on the ready and not saying
>I stay up nights worrying about trees. Just a silly economy maybe but I
>find a dish towel so much more capable than a wimpy paper towel. Except for
>real yick. Polly

Depends on what you are doing. Most dish towels are loaded with
bacteria also.

Everything has a "best use" place.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 21:38:07 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Dec 8, 9:55*pm, Roy > wrote:
>> Why, Oh why did the paper companies come out with those totally useless
>> half-towel perforations? I can't see ANY advantage in them whatsoever.
>> When you need a whole sheet you have a weak center line which will invariably
>> rip when you gather any mess with it. I will never buy any brand which has
>> those stupid perforations and claims that they are better.

>I hate them too. For some reason, they never tear where I want them
>to. If I want just a half sheet I'll end up tearing off a whole
>sheet, and if I want a whole sheet it'll start to tear at the half
>sheet mark. Yes, I know if I'm more careful that won't happen, but
>the whole point of the paper towels being perforated is so one can
>unroll and tear at the same time. They never tear at the right spot.

You have to use a bit more finesse. If you want a half, tear just as
the seam is off the roll. If you want a full, pull it down a bit and
grab at the second segment.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2012 12:18 AM, pavane wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote

>> On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 18:55:39 -0800 (PST), Roy >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Why, Oh why did the paper companies come out with those totally useless
>>> half-towel perforations? I can't see ANY advantage in them whatsoever.
>>> When you need a whole sheet you have a weak center line which will
>>> invariably
>>> rip when you gather any mess with it. I will never buy any brand
>>> which has
>>> those stupid perforations and claims that they are better.

>> I love the half sheets. That is all we buy. Much less waste that way
>> when you need only a small piece of the towel. I bet 99% of the time
>> I only take a half size segment.
>>
>> Oh, you may not understand this, but there are times I even tear that
>> portion in half. That is still enough to wipe something off of my
>> glasses, blow my nose, wipe a bottle top or jar rim.

> I'm in complete agreement, Ed. Even down to the 1/4 sheet.

I have been known to go for the 1/4 sheet on occasion, but I love those
half sheets. Paper towels don't rip straight for crap. If you just
want half, you wind up with some ragged little piece with a ragged piece
still on the roll. I don't have a problem using two (or more, if we're
talking draining bacon or something), they don't rip apart that easily.

I won't even bother buying paper towels on sale if they aren't the pick-
a-size variety.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/8/2012 9:56 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I like the half sheets. A lot of time I only need half a regular sheet.
> There is no point in using the whole sheet if you only need half of it.
> It you need regular sized sheet you can use two of the small ones.

Same here, I like the half sheets. People who do not like them, can buy
the brands which have the whole sheets, that way we are both happy.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> I have been known to go for the 1/4 sheet on occasion, but I love those
> half sheets. Paper towels don't rip straight for crap. If you just
> want half, you wind up with some ragged little piece with a ragged piece
> still on the roll. I don't have a problem using two (or more, if we're
> talking draining bacon or something), they don't rip apart that easily.

I love the half sheet option too as you often don't need a full one. Rather
than spend more $$$ on those, I still buy the cheapest full sheet rolls ($1
for 90 2-ply sheets). Once you tear off a full sheet, turn it sideways and
tear from the perforation edge. With my kind they tear straight down to even
pieces. If you try to tear the other way, they go ragged as you've seen.

So I pull one off and I'll often tear it into half or ever thirds. I use
these pieces for napkins, blowing nose, whatever. Most times I don't need a
full sheet.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/12/2012 12:15 AM, Bryan wrote:

> A tangent: I don't know why anyone would ever buy a cotton dishrag.
> They get mildewy because mildew eats cotton. Microfiber works better
> and you just put them in the clothes washer.

My wife and I have a difference of opinion about what constitutes a
dirty dishrag. Apparently, if yo drop something on the floor and wipe
it up with the dishrag it is now dirty and has to go to the laundry.
Or, of you wipe up something like coffee or ketchup, it is dirty and has
to be washed. In my mind, it may be discoloured, but not necessarily
dirty. It is being used in hot soapy water. I figure that it can be
plunged into hot soapy water, swooshed round and wrung out and that is
basically the same as putting it through the wash cycle in the laundry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2012 9:19 AM, Gary wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> I have been known to go for the 1/4 sheet on occasion, but I love those
>> half sheets. Paper towels don't rip straight for crap. If you just
>> want half, you wind up with some ragged little piece with a ragged piece
>> still on the roll. I don't have a problem using two (or more, if we're
>> talking draining bacon or something), they don't rip apart that easily.

> I love the half sheet option too as you often don't need a full one. Rather
> than spend more $$$ on those, I still buy the cheapest full sheet rolls ($1
> for 90 2-ply sheets). Once you tear off a full sheet, turn it sideways and
> tear from the perforation edge. With my kind they tear straight down to even
> pieces. If you try to tear the other way, they go ragged as you've seen.
>
> So I pull one off and I'll often tear it into half or ever thirds. I use
> these pieces for napkins, blowing nose, whatever. Most times I don't need a
> full sheet.
>
> Gary

Even some store brands, which are considerably less costly, offer the
select-a-size rolls. Walgreens comes to mind. Poor Nancy doesn't have
a Walgreens nearby! But hey, poor Jill doesn't have a Costco within a
hundred miles, so we're even

I like the select-a-size rolls. I don't use paper towels for heavy duty
cleanup. The small sheets do the trick for what I need.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2012 10:00 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/9/2012 9:19 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>>
>>> I have been known to go for the 1/4 sheet on occasion, but I love those
>>> half sheets. Paper towels don't rip straight for crap. If you just
>>> want half, you wind up with some ragged little piece with a ragged piece
>>> still on the roll.

>> So I pull one off and I'll often tear it into half or ever thirds. I use
>> these pieces for napkins, blowing nose, whatever. Most times I don't
>> need a
>> full sheet.

For me, I'd say I almost never need a full sheet.

> Even some store brands, which are considerably less costly, offer the
> select-a-size rolls. Walgreens comes to mind. Poor Nancy doesn't have
> a Walgreens nearby! But hey, poor Jill doesn't have a Costco within a
> hundred miles, so we're even

We do have Walgreens, but maybe 10 miles away. And it's NOT the same
as going to Walgreens when I'm on vacation. Not the same at all. Heh.

> I like the select-a-size rolls. I don't use paper towels for heavy duty
> cleanup. The small sheets do the trick for what I need.

Exactly. I was happy when they showed up however many years ago, showed
I wasn't the only one tearing off pieces of paper towels.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gee, but ain't life tough. I happen to like those half sheets -
I can still choose the length I want.
Maybe they're just trying to help us save a few trees.

Say, does anyone know if lumbering is down? In other words, is paper recycling having ANY effect?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan,
My dishrags don't get mildewed. I use one, rinse it, spread to dry, ( have a small rod near my washing machine or stick it out on the line), and then it goes in the wash. I have a stack of prob. 30 some dishrags and use them with abandon. I grab a fresh one for every new dishwashing session. They take a minute or two to fold when they disembark the dryer and I'm set.

Beats a kitchen sponge - we've all been thru THAT discussion before. Yucko..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> Gee, but ain't life tough. I happen to like those half sheets -
> I can still choose the length I want.
> Maybe they're just trying to help us save a few trees.
>
> Say, does anyone know if lumbering is down? In other words, is paper recycling having ANY effect?

As Sheldon mentioned, you don't have to "save the trees." They are farmed
now for paper and lumber and there will always be plenty available. It's a
renewable resource.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 11:38*pm, " > wrote:

> On Dec 8, 9:55*pm, Roy > wrote:
>
> > Why, Oh why did the paper companies come out with those totally useless
> > half-towel perforations? I can't see ANY advantage in them whatsoever.
> > When you need a whole sheet you have a weak center line which will invariably
> > rip when you gather any mess with it. I will never buy any brand which has
> > those stupid perforations and claims that they are better.

> I hate them too. *For some reason, they never tear where I want them
> to. *If I want just a half sheet I'll end up tearing off a whole
> sheet, and if I want a whole sheet it'll start to tear at the half
> sheet mark. They never tear at the right spot.

Exactly! They never, never, never, never, never, tear where I want
them to. One roll of these burned me from ever buying them again. If
I need a full sheet then I get the wimpy half sheet or if I need a
half sheet then I end up with one and a half or two full sheets. And
rarely do I throw away a paper towel after drying my hands after
washing. There always seems to be some dribble on the floor or
counter and these 'used' towels get double duty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 6:53*am, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 23:34:42 -0600, "Polly Esther"
>
> > wrote:
>
> >And I have learned that we hardly ever need them of any size. *The laundry
> >is going to have to be done. *It will have sheets, towels and such any way.
> >Doesn't matter if I toss in one or a dozen dish towels. *Not saying we don't
> >have at least two or more rolls of paper towels on the ready and not saying
> >I stay up nights worrying about trees. *Just a silly economy maybe but I
> >find a dish towel so much more capable than a wimpy paper towel. *Except for
> >real yick. *Polly

> Depends on what you are doing. *Most dish towels are loaded with
> bacteria also.
>
> Everything has a "best use" place.

True, true.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 11:15*pm, Bryan > wrote:

> A tangent: I don't know why anyone would ever buy a cotton dishrag. *They get mildewy because mildew eats cotton. *Microfiber works better and you just put them in the clothes washer.
>
> Bryan

I use a dishcloth _once_ and then it goes into the dirty dishcloth/
dishtowel bin to be washed in the washing machine on the hottest water
setting and I don't use fabric softener on these items either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-12-09 02:55:39 +0000, Roy said:

> Why, Oh why did the paper companies come out with those totally useless
> half-towel perforations?

Waste! It's not just for food any more!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/8/2012 8:55 PM, Roy wrote:
> Why, Oh why did the paper companies come out with those totally useless
> half-towel perforations? I can't see ANY advantage in them whatsoever.
> When you need a whole sheet you have a weak center line which will invariably
> rip when you gather any mess with it. I will never buy any brand which has
> those stupid perforations and claims that they are better.

Actually, I buy both kinds. There is an application for which the
half-sheets works best for me.

The only brand I use is Viva. I find that one of their towels outlasts
two or three of the other brands. My neighbor uses Bounty and we share
a cleaning lady on alternate weeks. The cleaning lady has told me on
more than one occasion how she likes my paper towels so much more than
the neighbor's.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2012 2:26 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 12/8/2012 8:55 PM, Roy wrote:
>> Why, Oh why did the paper companies come out with those totally useless
>> half-towel perforations? I can't see ANY advantage in them whatsoever.
>> When you need a whole sheet you have a weak center line which will
>> invariably
>> rip when you gather any mess with it. I will never buy any brand which
>> has
>> those stupid perforations and claims that they are better.
>>

> Actually, I buy both kinds. There is an application for which the
> half-sheets works best for me.
>
> The only brand I use is Viva. I find that one of their towels outlasts
> two or three of the other brands. My neighbor uses Bounty and we share
> a cleaning lady on alternate weeks. The cleaning lady has told me on
> more than one occasion how she likes my paper towels so much more than
> the neighbor's.

Oh boy, paper towel wars! Should be the next big show on Bravo! LOL

I remember years ago Mom bought a spray bottle of Sparkle window
cleaner. It was purple, not blue. She gave the neighbor a bottle of
it, not realizing she'd bought a refill of Windex not Sparkle. The
neighbor gushed about out much better it was. Heck, I just use ammonia
and water for washing windows. And newspaper is better for cleaning
windows than paper towels. IMHO.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 12/8/2012 8:55 PM, Roy wrote:
>> Why, Oh why did the paper companies come out with those totally useless
>> half-towel perforations? I can't see ANY advantage in them whatsoever.
>> When you need a whole sheet you have a weak center line which will
>> invariably
>> rip when you gather any mess with it. I will never buy any brand which
>> has
>> those stupid perforations and claims that they are better.
>>

> Actually, I buy both kinds. There is an application for which the
> half-sheets works best for me.
>
> The only brand I use is Viva. I find that one of their towels outlasts two
> or three of the other brands. My neighbor uses Bounty and we share a
> cleaning lady on alternate weeks. The cleaning lady has told me on more
> than one occasion how she likes my paper towels so much more than the
> neighbor's.

one roll of paper towels lasts me ten years. I use cloth towels - they last
forever. Just wash them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 19:45:35 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Dec 8, 9:43*pm, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>>
>> Roy wrote:
>>
>> > Why, Oh why did the paper companies come out with those totally
>> > useless half-towel perforations? I can't see ANY advantage in them
>> > whatsoever.
>> > When you need a whole sheet you have a weak center line which will
>> > invariably rip when you gather any mess with it. I will never buy any
>> > brand which has those stupid perforations and claims that they are
>> > better.

>> Some people like them, some people don't. *I"m with you but the brand I
>> buy comes both ways - just be sure to buy the kind you like.
>>
>> -S-
>>

>I agree.

I love those half sheets, I use Bounty, a big savings when all I need
is to wipe up something small like cat hair balls. I use the half
sheets instead of tissues, I don't buy tissues anymore... I keep a
stack of half sheets in my night stand drawer, and a stack in my PC
desk drawer. I have a roll of half sheets in my tractor too. And a
half sheet suffices quite well instead of a paper napkin. I keep a
few half sheets folded in four in all my coats and jackets, better
than tissues, strong but soft and if you forget to empty them from
your pockets they leave no lint when laundering, they don't fall apart
like tissues.. in fact when the clothes come from the dryer the dried
half sheets are still perfectly usable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 4:54*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 19:45:35 -0800 (PST), "
>

> > wrote:

> >> Some people like them, some people don't. I"m with you but the brand I
> >> buy comes both ways - just be sure to buy the kind you like.

> >> -S-

> >I agree.

> I love those half sheets, I use Bounty, a big savings when all I need
> is to wipe up something small like cat hair balls. *I use the half
> sheets instead of tissues, I don't buy tissues anymore... I keep a
> stack of half sheets in my night stand drawer, and a stack in my PC
> desk drawer. *I have a roll of half sheets in my tractor too. *And a
> half sheet suffices quite well instead of a paper napkin. *I keep a
> few half sheets folded in four in all my coats and jackets, better
> than tissues, strong but soft and if you forget to empty them from
> your pockets they leave no lint when laundering, they don't fall apart
> like tissues.. in fact when the clothes come from the dryer the dried
> half sheets are still perfectly usable.

I bet you rinse them out and let them dry and use them again. You are
a tightwad.
Rosie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 09:17:35 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>Say, does anyone know if lumbering is down? In other words, is paper recycling having ANY effect?

Not recycling, rather digital (Encyclopedia Brittanica isn't even
available on paper any longer, only digital) and China.

For more than you probably wanted to know:
http://www.jsonline.com/business/181832171.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/8/2012 7:55 PM, Roy wrote:
> Why, Oh why did the paper companies come out with those totally useless
> half-towel perforations? I can't see ANY advantage in them whatsoever.
> When you need a whole sheet you have a weak center line which will invariably
> rip when you gather any mess with it. I will never buy any brand which has
> those stupid perforations and claims that they are better.

OTOH, I really like them. Very often I only need a half sheet and it
saves waste.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2012 7:54 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 09/12/2012 12:15 AM, Bryan wrote:
>
>> A tangent: I don't know why anyone would ever buy a cotton dishrag.
>> They get mildewy because mildew eats cotton. Microfiber works better
>> and you just put them in the clothes washer.
>>

> My wife and I have a difference of opinion about what constitutes a
> dirty dishrag. Apparently, if yo drop something on the floor and wipe
> it up with the dishrag it is now dirty and has to go to the laundry. Or,
> of you wipe up something like coffee or ketchup, it is dirty and has to
> be washed. In my mind, it may be discoloured, but not necessarily
> dirty. It is being used in hot soapy water. I figure that it can be
> plunged into hot soapy water, swooshed round and wrung out and that is
> basically the same as putting it through the wash cycle in the laundry.

When dishcloths get dirty or musty between washer loads, I soak them in
a hot water with little detergent and bleach in a quart or half-gallon
plastic storage container to which I have lost the lid.

I go through at least 1-2 dishtowels and dishcloths a day. I can't bear
to use one once it gets dirty or soggy.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 6:54*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 09/12/2012 12:15 AM, Bryan wrote:
>
> > A tangent: I don't know why anyone would ever buy a cotton dishrag.
> > They get mildewy because mildew eats cotton. *Microfiber works better
> > and you just put them in the clothes washer.

> My wife and I have a difference of opinion about what constitutes a
> dirty dishrag. *Apparently, if yo drop something on the floor and wipe
> it up with the dishrag it is now dirty and has to go to the laundry.
> Or, of you wipe up something like coffee or ketchup, it is dirty and has
> to be washed. *In my mind, it may be discoloured, but not necessarily
> dirty. It is being used in hot soapy water. I figure that it can be
> plunged into hot soapy water, swooshed round and wrung out and that is
> basically the same as putting it through the wash cycle in the laundry.

After we're done washing dishes for the day, we nuke our 3M sponges
for two minutes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2012 3:59 AM, Andy wrote:
> What a neurotic nut you are!!!
>
> Andy

Did you forget how to quote? How are we supposed to know *which*
neurotic nut you're talking to?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
>Andy wrote:
>> What a neurotic nut you are!!!
>>
>> Andy
>>

>Did you forget how to quote? How are we supposed to know *which*
>neurotic nut you're talking to?

Andy is obviously talking to himself.