Old 28-08-2015, 07:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

Default BBQ in a towel?!??!?

Got to get some disposable towels.

Now this is pure perfect campfire food!

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/l...alt-crust.html

My wife is Colombian, and at this point I've been to the country often
enough that I've gotten accustomed to its eating culture, aware of its
most classic dishes and regional specialties. So I was pleasantly
surprised when, on my most recent visit, her family suggested we try
lomo al trapo, a preparation I'd never heard of.* Literally translated
as "beef tenderloin in a towel," it's made by wrapping a big chunk of
beef tenderloin in a thick crust of salt swaddled in a towel, tying it
up, and throwing it directly on a fire until it's cooked.

It's one of the easiest, most foolproof, primally delicious, and
downright impressive methods of cooking beef I've ever seen. I flat-out
guarantee that every single one of your guests will be floored. All it
takes is three ingredients, a few basic kitchen supplies, and a fire. No
pots, pans, or even a grill required.

Old 30-08-2015, 03:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 8/28/2015 2:04 PM, los Golondrinas wrote:

[...]

That certainly looks good to me. If I get to put a fire pit back
together I'll try it.
Old 30-08-2015, 06:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 8/30/2015 8:54 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

We've done this a few times when camping.

But you need to be able to part with some cheap kitchen towels without
remorse.

That said, it darned well works.

Old 30-08-2015, 07:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

[...]

You will be pleased with the results, just be sure to get that meat off
early (115-20F) so it doesn't retain heat and overcook.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

los Golondrinas said

On 8/30/2015 8:54 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/28/2015 2:04 PM, los Golondrinas wrote:

Got to get some disposable towels.

Now this is pure perfect campfire food!

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/l...bian-beef-tend
erloin-towel-wrapped-salt-crust.html

You will be pleased with the results, just be sure to get that meat
off early (115-20F) so it doesn't retain heat and overcook.

Sorry for responding to such an old post.

Anyway, anyone tried this in the fireplace? In the home?

--
Better living through smoking.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:53 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4/3/2016 6:55 AM, Heavy_Smoker wrote:
los Golondrinas said

On 8/30/2015 8:54 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/28/2015 2:04 PM, los Golondrinas wrote:

Got to get some disposable towels.

Now this is pure perfect campfire food!

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/l...bian-beef-tend
erloin-towel-wrapped-salt-crust.html

You will be pleased with the results, just be sure to get that meat
off early (115-20F) so it doesn't retain heat and overcook.

Sorry for responding to such an old post.

Anyway, anyone tried this in the fireplace? In the home?

Using one of these?

http://www.menards.com/main/heating-...4436307727.htm
Old 10-04-2016, 11:11 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

onglet said

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/l...ombian-beef-te
nd erloin-towel-wrapped-salt-crust.html

You will be pleased with the results, just be sure to get that meat
off early (115-20F) so it doesn't retain heat and overcook.

Sorry for responding to such an old post.

Anyway, anyone tried this in the fireplace? In the home?

Using one of these?

http://www.menards.com/main/heating-...e-starters-lig
hters/pine-mountain-reg-classic-4-hour-fire-log/p-1444436307727.htm

LOL, no. Hardwood firewood/coals - setting the firewood aside for the
duration of the cook.

--
Better living through smoking.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:36 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4/10/2016 4:11 PM, Heavy_Smoker wrote:
onglet said

On 4/3/2016 6:55 AM, Heavy_Smoker wrote:
los Golondrinas said

On 8/30/2015 8:54 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/28/2015 2:04 PM, los Golondrinas wrote:

Got to get some disposable towels.

Now this is pure perfect campfire food!

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/l...ombian-beef-te
nd erloin-towel-wrapped-salt-crust.html

You will be pleased with the results, just be sure to get that meat
off early (115-20F) so it doesn't retain heat and overcook.

Sorry for responding to such an old post.

Anyway, anyone tried this in the fireplace? In the home?

Using one of these?

http://www.menards.com/main/heating-...e-starters-lig
hters/pine-mountain-reg-classic-4-hour-fire-log/p-1444436307727.htm

LOL, no. Hardwood firewood/coals - setting the firewood aside for the
duration of the cook.

In a gaslog fireplace?
Old 13-04-2016, 01:51 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

onglet said

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/l...olombian-beef-

http://www.menards.com/main/heating-...ire-starters-l
ig
hters/pine-mountain-reg-classic-4-hour-fire-log/p-1444436307727.htm

LOL, no. Hardwood firewood/coals - setting the firewood aside for
the duration of the cook.

In a gaslog fireplace?

Yes, I place the hardwood over the gas logs.

--
Better living through smoking.
Old 13-04-2016, 04:46 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4/13/2016 6:51 AM, Heavy_Smoker wrote:
onglet said

[...]

Doesn't that make a big old mess in the ember rocks beneath them?