Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soup mixes?

I like the 15-bean soup mix and have been making it for years. Are there
any other such commonly available mixes I have been overlooking?

TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2015 2:46 AM, KenK wrote:
As Jeb Bush prepares for his imminent presidential campaign, the
American people must keep in mind just who this man is and the crimes he
committed rigging the 2000 presidential election, which put his brother
George W. in the Oval Office, set us on the road to the Iraq War, the
Great Recession, destroyed America’s standing in the world, altered
American history forever.

Jeb Bush just so happened to be the Governor of Florida during that
election, and as you may recall, the Florida vote was so close that
recounts were requested and eventually declared his brother the winner.
Katherine Harris, Jeb’s secretary of state and the co-chair of the
George W. campaign, organized the election system that somehow ended up
losing or spoiling the ballots of hundreds of thousands of
African-American voters, who just so coincidentally tend to vote
Democratic. During the recount period, it is documented that the
Governor’s office made 95 calls to the Bush campaign- calls which Jeb
somehow “cannot remember” the reason for. That answer is unacceptable
for allegations of such importance. Why can’t you remember, Jeb?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
>I like the 15-bean soup mix and have been making it for years. Are there
> any other such commonly available mixes I have been overlooking?
>
> TIA

Probably. I don't know what's available in your area.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2015 11:56 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Have you tried the 16-bean soup mix?

Get out - stalker!

....dump!

____.-.____
[__Sqwerty__]
[___Marty___]
(d|||TROLL|||b)
`|||TRASH|||`
`"""""""""'
Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:

>I like the 15-bean soup mix and have been making it for years.

Guess what the bean warehouses figured out to do about one a month
with the beans that fall on the floor... they're swept up and become
however many bean soup mix. Making 15 bean soup is like grinding 15
different types of fish to make fish cakes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2015 6:15 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> KenK wrote:
>>
>> I like the 15-bean soup mix and have been making it for years.

> Guess what the bean warehouses figured out to do about one a month
> with the beans that fall on the floor... they're swept up and become
> however many bean soup mix. Making 15 bean soup is like grinding 15
> different types of fish to make fish cakes.

Snakehead too?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29 Jul 2015 16:46:46 GMT, KenK > wrote:

> I like the 15-bean soup mix and have been making it for years. Are there
> any other such commonly available mixes I have been overlooking?

Look at the various rice mixes. I like Trader Joe's Brown Rice Medley
better than Lundberg because it has daikon radish seeds in it that add
an interesting little zing. I also like Trader Joe's Harvest Grains
Blend. Use vegetable or chicken stock (or half stock, half water) if
you try one... stock dresses up plain rice too.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 8:15:26 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> KenK wrote:
> >
> >I like the 15-bean soup mix and have been making it for years.

> Guess what the bean warehouses figured out to do about one a month
> with the beans that fall on the floor... they're swept up and become
> however many bean soup mix. Making 15 bean soup is like grinding 15
> different types of fish to make fish cakes.

I often see bean soup mixes with the beans segregated by type. I
suppose that after they sweep them off the floor, they pay someone
to sort them again.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 03:43:46 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 8:15:26 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> KenK wrote:
>> >
>> >I like the 15-bean soup mix and have been making it for years.

>> Guess what the bean warehouses figured out to do about one a month
>> with the beans that fall on the floor... they're swept up and become
>> however many bean soup mix. Making 15 bean soup is like grinding 15
>> different types of fish to make fish cakes.

>I often see bean soup mixes with the beans segregated by type. I
>suppose that after they sweep them off the floor, they pay someone
>to sort them again.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Those that are separated by type are obviously not the ones sweapt off
the floor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2015 7:45 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 03:43:46 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

>>> Guess what the bean warehouses figured out to do about one a month
>>> with the beans that fall on the floor... they're swept up and become
>>> however many bean soup mix. Making 15 bean soup is like grinding 15
>>> different types of fish to make fish cakes.

>> I often see bean soup mixes with the beans segregated by type. I
>> suppose that after they sweep them off the floor, they pay someone
>> to sort them again.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> Those that are separated by type are obviously not the ones sweapt off
> the floor.

(snippage)

Sheldon seems to be a bit paranoid. Most bags of dried beans and bean
soup mixes have directions which say to rinse them before cooking. If
you bother even with the quick soak method it requires a couple of
changes of water. I doubt those directions are on the bag because they
were swept off the floor. The beans will not be dirty.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2015 1:50 AM, sf wrote:
> On 29 Jul 2015 16:46:46 GMT, KenK > wrote:
>
>> I like the 15-bean soup mix and have been making it for years. Are there
>> any other such commonly available mixes I have been overlooking?
>>

> Look at the various rice mixes. I like Trader Joe's Brown Rice Medley
> better than Lundberg because it has daikon radish seeds in it that add
> an interesting little zing. I also like Trader Joe's Harvest Grains
> Blend. Use vegetable or chicken stock (or half stock, half water) if
> you try one... stock dresses up plain rice too.

Good suggestion! I don't have those stores in my area and don't know if
KenK does, but yes, there are some good rice & bean mixes.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 9:01:47 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/30/2015 7:45 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 03:43:46 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> >> I often see bean soup mixes with the beans segregated by type. I
> >> suppose that after they sweep them off the floor, they pay someone
> >> to sort them again.
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton

> > Those that are separated by type are obviously not the ones sweapt off
> > the floor.
> >

> (snippage)
>
> Sheldon seems to be a bit paranoid.

Oh, I know that. I was just tweaking him a little.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2015 9:10 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 9:01:47 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 7/30/2015 7:45 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>> On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 03:43:46 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

>>> Those that are separated by type are obviously not the ones sweapt off
>>> the floor.
>>>

>> (snippage)
>>
>> Sheldon seems to be a bit paranoid.

> Oh, I know that. I was just tweaking him a little.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

He's fun to tweak. I like to think he's a cousin of someone else here
who loves canned beans.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote in
:

> On 29 Jul 2015 16:46:46 GMT, KenK wrote:
>
>> I like the 15-bean soup mix and have been making it for years. Are
>> there any other such commonly available mixes I have been
>> overlooking?

> Have you tried the 16-bean soup mix? It's 6.6% better than 15 bean
> soup.
>
> Stay away form the Bear Creek brand of soup mixes. I've tried two of
> them (chicken noodle and broccoli cheese) and they sucked so bad that
> I can't imagine any of the others flavors being good.
>
> -sw

I'd forgotten the Bear Creek mixes. I tried one a year or more ago and
didn't like it either. Never tried another flavor. Evidently some like
them though.

Then there's Lipton noodle mix. OK but not special. I make it a couple of
times a year. I think it was around when I was a kid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2015 10:51 AM, KenK wrote:
>> I can't imagine any of the others flavors being good.
>> >
>> >-sw
>> >

> I'd forgotten the Bear Creek mixes.

Please SHUN the "Groupkilla" troll here, do NOT reply to the vermin!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
:

> On 29 Jul 2015 16:46:46 GMT, KenK > wrote:
>
>> I like the 15-bean soup mix and have been making it for years. Are
>> there any other such commonly available mixes I have been
>> overlooking?
>>

> Look at the various rice mixes. I like Trader Joe's Brown Rice Medley
> better than Lundberg because it has daikon radish seeds in it that add
> an interesting little zing. I also like Trader Joe's Harvest Grains
> Blend. Use vegetable or chicken stock (or half stock, half water) if
> you try one... stock dresses up plain rice too.

No Trader Joe's here. Not sure I'd go there if there was. I think I've
read they have mostly large quantities of items, not suitable for a
single-person household. Ah well, doesn't matter to me since they're not
here.

But it does bring up the possibilities of mixes other than soup. I'll
have to watch for them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2015 11:25 AM, KenK wrote:
>> dried beans and vegetables.
>> >
>> >MartyB
>> >

> Are they really that much?

\|||/
(o o)
,---ooO--(_)--------.
| Please don't |
|feed the greaseball|
| rfc.TROLL! |
| |
`-------------ooO---'
|__|__|
|| ||
ooO Ooo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2015 11:56 AM, KenK wrote:
>> If we're specifically talking about Bear Creek products

> Yes

\|||/
(o o)
,---ooO--(_)--------.
| Please don't |
|feed the greaseball|
| rfc.TROLL! |
| |
`-------------ooO--'
|__|__|
|| ||
ooO Ooo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30 Jul 2015 16:58:45 GMT, KenK > wrote:

> sf > wrote in
> :
>
> > On 29 Jul 2015 16:46:46 GMT, KenK > wrote:
> >
> >> I like the 15-bean soup mix and have been making it for years. Are
> >> there any other such commonly available mixes I have been
> >> overlooking?
> >>

> > Look at the various rice mixes. I like Trader Joe's Brown Rice Medley
> > better than Lundberg because it has daikon radish seeds in it that add
> > an interesting little zing. I also like Trader Joe's Harvest Grains
> > Blend. Use vegetable or chicken stock (or half stock, half water) if
> > you try one... stock dresses up plain rice too.
> >

> No Trader Joe's here. Not sure I'd go there if there was. I think I've
> read they have mostly large quantities of items, not suitable for a
> single-person household. Ah well, doesn't matter to me since they're not
> here.

Trader Joe's actually sells smaller quantities than regular grocery
stores and it's one of the better places for singles to shop, but it's
a moot point if you don't have any in your area. Look around the
grocery store. Couscous comes in a box with flavor packets. I don't
buy them very often because the flavor packets are too salty for me
and I'd rather do it myself anyway.

Getting back to rice, I bought a mix that was called "French Onion
Rice" and it languished in my cupboard for a long time before I
finally used it. It turned out to be one of those "where have you
been all my life" ideas. You'd mimic it by using a package of
Lipton's onion soup mix, I mimic it by either taking the long way with
my own broth and real onions or (more often) the quick way with boxed
broth and dehydrated onions.

> But it does bring up the possibilities of mixes other than soup. I'll
> have to watch for them.

You don't need to make an entire package, Ken. Just calculate a
single serving.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
news
> On 30 Jul 2015 16:58:45 GMT, KenK > wrote:
>
>> sf > wrote in
>> :

>> > Look at the various rice mixes. I like Trader Joe's Brown Rice
>> > Medley better than Lundberg because it has daikon radish seeds in
>> > it that add an interesting little zing. I also like Trader Joe's
>> > Harvest Grains Blend. Use vegetable or chicken stock (or half
>> > stock, half water) if you try one... stock dresses up plain rice
>> > too.
>> >

>> No Trader Joe's here. Not sure I'd go there if there was. I think
>> I've read they have mostly large quantities of items, not suitable
>> for a single-person household. Ah well, doesn't matter to me since
>> they're not here.

> Trader Joe's actually sells smaller quantities than regular grocery
> stores and it's one of the better places for singles to shop, but it's
> a moot point if you don't have any in your area. Look around the
> grocery store. Couscous comes in a box with flavor packets. I don't
> buy them very often because the flavor packets are too salty for me
> and I'd rather do it myself anyway.

For some reason, I generally throw away the flavor packets in stuff -
except for the cheese in mac and cheese.

> Getting back to rice, I bought a mix that was called "French Onion
> Rice" and it languished in my cupboard for a long time before I
> finally used it. It turned out to be one of those "where have you
> been all my life" ideas. You'd mimic it by using a package of
> Lipton's onion soup mix, I mimic it by either taking the long way with
> my own broth and real onions or (more often) the quick way with boxed
> broth and dehydrated onions.

I'll have to shop a bit more carefully. I tend to repeat buying stuff
I've been eating for years abd don't even see a lot of the other stuff.

>> But it does bring up the possibilities of mixes other than soup. I'll
>> have to watch for them.

> You don't need to make an entire package, Ken. Just calculate a
> single serving.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2015 7:36 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
The United States Constitution serves as the law of the land for America
and indicates the intent of our Founding Fathers. The Constitution forms
a secular document, and nowhere does it appeal to God, Christianity,
Jesus, or any supreme being. (For those who think the date of the
Constitution contradicts the last sentence, see note 1 at the end.) The
U.S. government derives from people (not God), as it clearly states in
the preamble: "We the people of the United States, in order to form a
more perfect Union...." The omission of God in the Constitution did not
come out of forgetfulness, but rather out of the Founding Fathers
purposeful intentions to keep government separate from religion.

Although the Constitution does not include the phrase "Separation of
Church & State," neither does it say "Freedom of religion." However, the
Constitution implies both in the 1st Amendment. As to our freedoms, the
1st Amendment provides exclusionary wording:

Congress shall make NO law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of
speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to
assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
[bold caps, mine]

Thomas Jefferson made an interpretation of the 1st Amendment to his
January 1st, 1802 letter to the Committee of the Danbury Baptist
Association calling it a "wall of separation between church and State."
Madison had also written that "Strongly guarded. . . is the separation
between religion and government in the Constitution of the United
States." There existed little controversy about this interpretation from
our Founding Fathers.

If religionists better understood the concept of separation of Church &
State, they would realize that the wall of separation actually protects
their religion. Our secular government allows the free expression of
religion and non-religion. Today, religions flourish in America; we have
more churches than Seven-Elevens.

Although many secular and atheist groups today support and fight for the
wall of separation, this does not mean that they wish to lawfully
eliminate religion from society. On the contrary, you will find no
secular or atheist group attempting to ban Christianity, or any other
religion from American society. Keeping religion separate allows
atheists and religionists alike, to practice their belief systems,
regardless how ridiculous they may seem, without government intervention.