Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Manischewitz Soup Mixes

Some of you may be familiar with the Manischewitz dried soup mixes
that are packaged in cellophane tubes. I am wondering if anyone has
prepared them in a crock pot.

The directions say to simmer the contents of the large bag (veggies,
etc.) in seven cups of water for two hours, adding the contents of the
small bag (spices, etc.) during the last ten minutes.

Manischewitz has no specific suggestions for slow-cooking, except to
say that the amount of water be reduced. I found one recipe which
mentioned putting both packets into the pot at the beginning, but did
not mention the amount of liquid or the time and temperature.

Any other suggestions?

At Amazon's sale price, the mixes came out to be under a dollar each.

Ingredients, for those who are interested:

Green peas
Barley
Yellow peas
Lima beans
Enrighed egg noodles
Salt
Mushrooms
Onions
Sugar
Carrots
Vegetable shortening
Corn starch
Celery
Tomatoes
Bell peppers
Turmeric
Spinach
Sodium bisulfite (preservative).

Barry in Indy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Barry" > wrote in message
> Some of you may be familiar with the Manischewitz dried soup mixes
> that are packaged in cellophane tubes. I am wondering if anyone has
> prepared them in a crock pot.
>
> The directions say to simmer the contents of the large bag (veggies,
> etc.) in seven cups of water for two hours, adding the contents of the
> small bag (spices, etc.) during the last ten minutes.
>
> Manischewitz has no specific suggestions for slow-cooking, except to
> say that the amount of water be reduced. I found one recipe which
> mentioned putting both packets into the pot at the beginning, but did
> not mention the amount of liquid or the time and temperature.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> At Amazon's sale price, the mixes came out to be under a dollar each.
>
> Ingredients, for those who are interested:
>
> Green peas
> Barley
> Yellow peas
> Lima beans
> Enrighed egg noodles
> Salt
> Mushrooms
> Onions
> Sugar
> Carrots
> Vegetable shortening
> Corn starch
> Celery
> Tomatoes
> Bell peppers
> Turmeric
> Spinach
> Sodium bisulfite (preservative).

The onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes, spinach and bell peppers are
dehydrated and powdered, they are contained in that flavor packet. It's an
okay product but I consider it a soup *starter*... it's kinda the Jewish
version of ramen.... I think it needs meat (chicken or beef) as well as
fresh veggies and herbs, like parsley, dill, garlic, etc. I don't see the
point in using it in a slow cooker, and you'll probably end up with half
cooked beans.... soups need to be stirred, tasted, reseasoned, and otherwise
tended to, or you may as well use canned. I used to use those soup mixes
years ago, when they cost like 3/25¢ (and a couple three pounds of meaty
marrow bones for small change or free from the butcher), and I'd use all
three packets at once as just one tube doesn't make enough worth dirtying a
pot and use fuel to cook it for hours.... making a tiny pot of homemade soup
is the epitomy of kitchen pinheadedness... I don't make homemade soup in
less than an 8 qt pot, usually 12,16 qts. It's easy enough to make up your
own ingredients packet. Those packets used to be very popular but the soup
aisle now has so many instant type soups that hardly any shelf space is
devoted to those soup starter tubes anymore.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barry wrote:
> Some of you may be familiar with the Manischewitz dried soup mixes
> that are packaged in cellophane tubes. I am wondering if anyone has
> prepared them in a crock pot.
>
> The directions say to simmer the contents of the large bag (veggies,
> etc.) in seven cups of water for two hours, adding the contents of the
> small bag (spices, etc.) during the last ten minutes.
>

> Any other suggestions?
>
> At Amazon's sale price, the mixes came out to be under a dollar each.
>
> Ingredients, for those who are interested:
>
> Green peas
> Barley
> Yellow peas
> Lima beans

> Barry in Indy

i've use them in the past, but have found these to be extremely
salty.

harriet & critters in azusa, ca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 13, 9:10*am, Barry > wrote:
> Some of you may be familiar with the Manischewitz dried soup mixes
> that are packaged in cellophane tubes. I am wondering if anyone has
> prepared them in a crock pot.
>
> The directions say to simmer the contents of the large bag (veggies,
> etc.) in seven cups of water for two hours, adding the contents of the
> small bag (spices, etc.) during the last ten minutes.
>
> Manischewitz has no specific suggestions for slow-cooking, except to
> say that the amount of water be reduced. I found one recipe which
> mentioned putting both packets into the pot at the beginning, but did
> not mention the amount of liquid or the time and temperature.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> At Amazon's sale price, the mixes came out to be under a dollar each.
>
> Ingredients, for those who are interested:
>
> Green peas
> Barley
> Yellow peas
> Lima beans
> Enrighed egg noodles
> Salt
> Mushrooms
> Onions
> Sugar
> Carrots
> Vegetable shortening
> Corn starch
> Celery
> Tomatoes
> Bell peppers
> Turmeric
> Spinach
> Sodium bisulfite (preservative).

If you're suggesting that these are good for ANYTHING other than
wilderness backpacking, that's just absurd.

> Barry in Indy

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barry wrote:
> Some of you may be familiar with the Manischewitz dried soup mixes
> that are packaged in cellophane tubes. I am wondering if anyone has
> prepared them in a crock pot.
>
> The directions say to simmer the contents of the large bag (veggies,
> etc.) in seven cups of water for two hours, adding the contents of the
> small bag (spices, etc.) during the last ten minutes.
>
> Manischewitz has no specific suggestions for slow-cooking, except to
> say that the amount of water be reduced. I found one recipe which
> mentioned putting both packets into the pot at the beginning, but did
> not mention the amount of liquid or the time and temperature.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> At Amazon's sale price, the mixes came out to be under a dollar each.
>
> Ingredients, for those who are interested:
>
> Green peas
> Barley
> Yellow peas
> Lima beans
> Enrighed egg noodles
> Salt
> Mushrooms
> Onions
> Sugar
> Carrots
> Vegetable shortening
> Corn starch
> Celery
> Tomatoes
> Bell peppers
> Turmeric
> Spinach
> Sodium bisulfite (preservative).
>
> Barry in Indy

Barry,

Do you have a pressure cooker? I have been making that soup in a
pressure cooker for about 40 years and my mom did it at least 30 years
before me.

Get some nice, meaty beef marrow bones and/or a couple of pieces of
flanken. Cut up some carrots, celery and onions and maybe a small white
turnip and some parsley. You can brown the meat if you want, but I never
do. Put it all in the pressure cooker with water, salt and pepper (easy
on the salt because the seasoning has some)and granulated garlic to
taste (If I have them I add some more dried mushrooms) then add the
tube contents, but *NOT* the packet contents.
Cook under pressure for 25 minutes.

Cool under cold water to release the pressure. Place the pot back on the
stove, open the lid, add the flavor packet with the ABC macaroni and
cook, uncovered on med-high heat for 15 minutes. The soup will thicken up.

This soup, like most any bean soup, tastes better the second day after
it's refrigerated and reheated.

It is a favorite cold weather soup in our family. Long ago my kids
affectionately named it "Jewish Soup"

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Knorr Turkish Soup Mixes gtr General Cooking 39 06-06-2021 08:03 PM
Soup mixes? KenK General Cooking 23 02-08-2015 08:42 PM
Check out these Polish Soup mixes FERRANTE[_3_] General Cooking 3 08-03-2009 07:11 PM
Delonghi Mixes So'n'so Cooking Equipment 0 09-06-2007 12:36 AM
Packet Soup Mixes Ranee Mueller General Cooking 20 24-08-2006 12:40 PM