Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Singapore noodles with curry souce

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/05/h...y-noodles.html

Seasoned with curry powder, the thin rice noodles are stir-fried along
with shrimp, char siu (Chinese roast pork), and a mix of vegetables. Its
origins are a bit fuzzy, but most likely Singapore noodles are as
Cantonese as a bowl of wonton noodle soup: take away the curry powder
and you have another Cantonese stir-fried rice-noodle dish called Ha
Moon-style stir-fried rice noodles (Ha Moon Chow Mei Fun). This probably
explains why you'll most likely find this dish at a dai pai dong
(open-air food stall) in Hong Kong rather than a hawker center in Singapore.

Cooking with the right rice noodle is the key to making Singapore
noodles successfully. If you have an Asian supermarket nearby, there are
probably rows and rows of different brands and sizes of rice-stick
noodles (sometimes also called rice vermicelli noodles). Having a
variety of choices to pick from is good, but it can also be confusing.
You need a rice noodle that is thin, but can be subjected the heat of
the wok and the movements of stir-frying without breaking into little bits.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 2:44:46 PM UTC-7, W. Lohman wrote:

> http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/05/h...y-noodles.html
>
> Seasoned with curry powder, the thin rice noodles are stir-fried along
> with shrimp, char siu (Chinese roast pork), and a mix of vegetables. Its
> origins are a bit fuzzy, but most likely Singapore noodles are as
> Cantonese as a bowl of wonton noodle soup: take away the curry powder
> and you have another Cantonese stir-fried rice-noodle dish called Ha
> Moon-style stir-fried rice noodles (Ha Moon Chow Mei Fun).

Actually the "Singapore noodles" are a spin off of the famous Peninsular
dish, char kway teow.
http://www.victorsfood.com.au/blog/c...-rice-noodles/

> This probably
> explains why you'll most likely find this dish at a dai pai dong
> (open-air food stall) in Hong Kong rather than a hawker center in Singapore.

If you can eat chocolate why would you settle for carob?

> Cooking with the right rice noodle is the key to making Singapore
> noodles successfully. If you have an Asian supermarket nearby, there are
> probably rows and rows of different brands and sizes of rice-stick
> noodles (sometimes also called rice vermicelli noodles). Having a
> variety of choices to pick from is good, but it can also be confusing.
> You need a rice noodle that is thin, but can be subjected the heat of
> the wok and the movements of stir-frying without breaking into little bits.

Rice stick is what you want.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/11/2015 10:37 PM, wrote:
> On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 2:44:46 PM UTC-7, W. Lohman wrote:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/05/h...y-noodles.html

>> Seasoned with curry powder, the thin rice noodles are stir-fried along
>> with shrimp, char siu (Chinese roast pork), and a mix of vegetables. Its
>> origins are a bit fuzzy, but most likely Singapore noodles are as
>> Cantonese as a bowl of wonton noodle soup: take away the curry powder
>> and you have another Cantonese stir-fried rice-noodle dish called Ha
>> Moon-style stir-fried rice noodles (Ha Moon Chow Mei Fun).

> Actually the "Singapore noodles" are a spin off of the famous Peninsular
> dish, char kway teow.
> http://www.victorsfood.com.au/blog/c...-rice-noodles/

Excellent recipe, but of course no curry.

+1 for a Malaysian effort anyway, thanks!

>> This probably
>> explains why you'll most likely find this dish at a dai pai dong
>> (open-air food stall) in Hong Kong rather than a hawker center in Singapore.
>>

> If you can eat chocolate why would you settle for carob?

Lol, a fair question.

>> Cooking with the right rice noodle is the key to making Singapore
>> noodles successfully. If you have an Asian supermarket nearby, there are
>> probably rows and rows of different brands and sizes of rice-stick
>> noodles (sometimes also called rice vermicelli noodles). Having a
>> variety of choices to pick from is good, but it can also be confusing.
>> You need a rice noodle that is thin, but can be subjected the heat of
>> the wok and the movements of stir-frying without breaking into little bits.

> Rice stick is what you want.

That's what I use, the others are better in Goi Cuon.

Btw, If you can catch a rerun of Martin Yan's show on Viet Nam he made
some brilliant Goi Cuon.