BKaplan104

Default Singapore Rice Noodles

Does anyone happen to know where I can get this recipe, or can give me same
here? I've had the dish at Chopsticks (Leominster, MA), and I'm really fond of
it. Please, *anyone*! Thanks, *very* much in advance!
Sam D.

"BKaplan104" > wrote in message
> Does anyone happen to know where I can get this recipe, or can give me

same
> here? I've had the dish at Chopsticks (Leominster, MA), and I'm really

fond of
> it. Please, *anyone*! Thanks, *very* much in advance!

I copied this from rfc some years ago and used it a couple times. I hesitate
to call it a recipe. It's more like loose directions because it doesn't
specify the amounts for most of the ingredients, so some estimating and
experimenting is required. I seem to recall using a bit less than two full
tablespoons of curry powder. The rice sticks come in varying thicknesses. I
used the fine ones. It turned out well so credit goes to Olga who originally
posted this.

* * *
Singapore Rice Noodles!

My mom taught me how to make this dish. It is typically found on menus in
Chinese noodle shops and is one of my favorites. Sorry, but my recipe is by
approximation (?sp) - mom was an old world cook!

First, take the rice noodles (also called "rice stick") and soak them in
room temperature water for a few hours, or in hot water (not boiling) for a
few minutes. Do not boil these noodles like you would pasta or regular egg
noodles, as you will end up with a pile of sticky mush.

Prep the following items:

-Chinese pork sausage or barbequed pork, in medium slivers. Quickly toss
these in a wok till brown.
-Fried scrambled egg, in bite sized pieces
-Bean sprouts that have been tossed around in a wok with some ginger, 95%
cooked through
-Sliced slivered green peppers, lightly tossed in a wok
-Sliced onions, stir fried in a wok
-Scallions sliced on the diagonal, in slivers (reserve some for garnish)

I usually brown the pork sausage first, as it renders enough (a tiny bit,
for my non stick wok) fat to fry the egg in next. After the egg, I do the
veggies.

When you have the rice stick and the prepped items ready, it is time to
make the seasoning.

Take approximately 3/4 cup of hot water, add chicken bullion to taste until
dissolved. You might have to add a bit of soy sauce for salt, remember that
this seasoning will give the whole noodle dish it's flavour.

Keep in mind that this will season one package or so of the rice stick.
Add two or more tablespoons of curry powder or however much you like, to
taste. I prefer the curry powder that is sold in Chinese supermarkets,
packaged as "Madras Curry Powder".

Pour this mixture in your wok and let it heat up till almost boiling.
Quickly add the softened rice stick and toss thoroughly, and keep it moving
as the rice stick absorbs the seasoning mixture. The key is to estimate the
correct amount of water to add so that the rice stick will not go gluey or
soupy because there was too much water, or stay chewy because there wasn't
enough.

After the rice stick has softened to the point of being edible, and you
have determined that the seasoning is alright, add all of the prepped items
to the wok and toss quickly, enough to heat, then turn the flame off.
Garnish with reserved scallions. You can add shrimp to this if you want.

I know that this "recipe" is a lot of guess work, but if you mess with it
enough times, it starts to click. Hope this helps. --- Olga.

Bob

BKaplan104 wrote:

> Does anyone happen to know where I can get this recipe, or can give me
> same here? I've had the dish at Chopsticks (Leominster, MA), and I'm
> really fond of it. Please, *anyone*! Thanks, *very* much in advance!

Here's something I posted about a year and a half ago. If you search Google
groups, you'll find that Damsel (whom is greatly missed) posted a similar
recipe.

I don't make curry powder all that often, but for Singapore Rice Noodles, I
make the curry powder from the China Moon cookbook:

China Moon Curry Powder (makes about 1 cup)

-Whole Spices-
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
1 tablespoon cardamon seeds
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1/2 cinnamon stick (1 1/2 inches long)
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns

-Ground Spices-
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon turmeric

1. Toast the whole spices together in a small dry skillet over low heat,
stirring and adjusting the heat so that the spices toast without scorching.
Stir until the spices are fully fragrant and the fenugreek seeds are lightly
browned, 4 to 5 minutes.

[Note: The recipe in the book says, "fennel seeds" rather than "fenugreek
seeds" at that point in the directions, but the recipe doesn't list fennel
seeds in the ingredients. The author *might* have intended to include
fennel in the ingredients. But fenugreek is a key ingredient, so if fennel
was intended, it would be in ADDITION to the ingredients already listed. My
own opinion is that it was just a typo, and the author meant "fenugreek" in
the sentence. I make the curry powder without fennel.]

2. Stir the ground spices into the whole spices. Using a spice grinder or
clean coffee grinder, grind the mixture finely. Store in a tightly covered
jar.

Okay, with the curry powder ready, here's the recipe for Singapore Rice
Noodles from the _Terrific Pacific Cookbook_:

8 ounces rice vermicelli
8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 1/2 cups broccoli florets [I usually leave these out]
3 tablespoons peanut oil
5 ounces small shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 small hot chiles, stemmed, seeded, and minced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1 medium onion, quartered and diced
1 slender small carrot, peeled and sliced diagonally crosswise
1/2 cup julienned red bell pepper
1/2 cup julienned green bell pepper
2 tablespoons sliced scallions
2 teaspoons high-quality curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
6 tablespoons chicken stock
Salt, to taste
chopped peanuts for garnish
lime wedges for garnish

1. Soak the rice vermicelli in warm water to cover for 20 minutes. Drain
well.

2. Meanwhile, rinse the chicken breasts and pat thoroughly dry with paper
towels. Cut into dice and set aside.

3. Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 45 seconds. Drain, refresh
under cold running water, and gently pat dry with paper towels.

4. Heat two tablespoons of the oil in a wok until almost smoking. Swirl
the wok to coat with the oil. Add the chicken and stir until the pieces
just turn opaque, about 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and stir until they just
turn pink, about 2 minutes. Remove the chicken and shrimp from the wok with
a slotted spoon and keep warm.

5. Add the remaining oil to the wok and heat until almost smoking. Add the
chiles, garlic, and ginger and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the onion and
toss for 1 minute. Add the carrot and toss for another minute. Add the
broccoli, peppers, and scallions, and stir for 2 more minutes.

6. Stir in the curry powder, turmeric, and cayenne and stir for 15 seconds.
Add the chicken and shrimp along with the noodles. Toss and stir until
combined with the other ingredients. Add the soy sauce, stock, and salt to
taste. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the liquid is absorbed, 2 to 3
minutes. Serve at once, garnished with chopped peanuts and lime wedges.

Sometimes I add diced firm tofu and/or Chinese roast pork. (I use the
Cantonese roast pork recipe in _The Chinese Cookbook_, by Craig Claiborne
and Virginia Lee.) Like Philippine pancit, this is a good recipe for
cleaning out the refrigerator. In fact, if you look at the pancit recipe at
http://pasta.allrecipes.com/AZ/PrtyPncit.asp, you'll see some obvious
similarities to the recipe that Damsel posted earlier. (But the pancit
recipe omits curry powder, which is one of the defining features of
Singapore Rice Noodles, and it was a curried noodle question that started
this whole discussion.)

Bob