Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sage and ???

What other herbs or spices go well with sage? I know about the song,
parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. What would you season with fresh
sage? Talk to me . . .
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

> On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 17:12:36 -0600, Janet B >
> wrote:
>

> >What other herbs or spices go well with sage? I know about the song,
> >parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. What would you season with fresh
> >sage? Talk to me . . .
> >Janet US

> With pork, goose and duck I love sage and onion stuffing.

Have you ever done fried sage leaves? Wonderful . Use them as a condiment on many different things.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Fried-Sage-Leaves

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/16/2015 5:12 PM, Janet B wrote:
> What would you season with fresh
> sage? Talk to me . . .
> Janet US

Saltimboca.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltimbocca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>What other herbs or spices go well with sage? I know about the song,
>parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.

Hate to say it, but rosemary and thyme

>What would you season with fresh
>sage? Talk to me . . .
>Janet US

Pork and lamb mainly.
Also venison.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>What other herbs or spices go well with sage? I know about the song,
>parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. What would you season with fresh
>sage? Talk to me . . .
>Janet US

I make gnocchi with sage butter and gorgonzola on top. It is great
with polenta, too.

I use sage with other herbs, as you mention, in the cavity when I
roast a chicken.

I like it with white-fleshed fish that is broiled or pan-sauteed.

It over winters beautifully and blossoms gorgeously in the spring.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

All I can say is....go easy with it and never double it even if you are doubling a recipe. It seems to overwhelm exponentially.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message

> What other herbs or spices go well with sage? I know about the song,
> parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. What would you season with fresh
> sage? Talk to me . . .
> Janet US

I pretty much only use it for stuffing. I suppose it would work well with
poultry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B wrote:

> What other herbs or spices go well with sage? I know about the song,
> parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. What would you season with fresh
> sage? Talk to me . . .

Sage is a rather powerfully flavored overbearing herb, typically out
performs most others herbs. Not knowing what it is you are cooking
it's impossible to offer advice. I don't like sage which is why I
don't like breakfast sausage. All I can say is be careful with sage,
a very little goes a long way. Sage pairs well on poultry with garlic
and lemon, but be expedient with the sage, less is more. Sage is a
component of poultry seasoning, I use it on turkey at Thanksgiving but
but only in a very small amount, only because poultry seasoning is
traditional on the holiday bird... some love it, not me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 20:45:46 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 17:12:36 -0600, Janet B >
>wrote:
>

>>What other herbs or spices go well with sage? I know about the song,
>>parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. What would you season with fresh
>>sage? Talk to me . . .
>>Janet US

> I make gnocchi with sage butter and gorgonzola on top. It is great
>with polenta, too.
>
>I use sage with other herbs, as you mention, in the cavity when I
>roast a chicken.
>
>I like it with white-fleshed fish that is broiled or pan-sauteed.
>
>It over winters beautifully and blossoms gorgeously in the spring.
>
> Boron

Yes, I have a beautiful, huge sage plant. I just want to use more of
it -- more than just roasts. Casseroles? Macaroni salads? cold meat
salads for sandwiches? I don't know, I was just looking for more
unusual uses.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 16:28:06 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 4:18:34 PM UTC-7, wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 17:12:36 -0600, Janet B >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >What other herbs or spices go well with sage? I know about the song,
>> >parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. What would you season with fresh
>> >sage? Talk to me . . .
>> >Janet US

>> With pork, goose and duck I love sage and onion stuffing.

>Have you ever done fried sage leaves? Wonderful . Use them as a condiment on many different things.
>
>http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Fried-Sage-Leaves

Sage leaves in a brown butter sauce is divine. Love it over pasta or a
nice steak

koko

James Beard
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 21:22:03 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 20:45:46 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 17:12:36 -0600, Janet B >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>What other herbs or spices go well with sage? I know about the song,
>>>parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. What would you season with fresh
>>>sage? Talk to me . . .
>>>Janet US

>> I make gnocchi with sage butter and gorgonzola on top. It is great
>>with polenta, too.
>>
>>I use sage with other herbs, as you mention, in the cavity when I
>>roast a chicken.
>>
>>I like it with white-fleshed fish that is broiled or pan-sauteed.
>>
>>It over winters beautifully and blossoms gorgeously in the spring.
>>
>> Boron

>Yes, I have a beautiful, huge sage plant. I just want to use more of
>it -- more than just roasts. Casseroles? Macaroni salads? cold meat
>salads for sandwiches? I don't know, I was just looking for more
>unusual uses.
>Janet US

Alas, my uses, though varied and frequent, are not unusual at all.

I think if you like the taste, go for it in anything you might be
trying. You can always practice on an itty bit first.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 17:35:56 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

>On 4/16/2015 5:12 PM, Janet B wrote:
>> What would you season with fresh
>> sage? Talk to me . . .
>> Janet US

>Saltimboca.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltimbocca

What he said.

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 7:49:22 PM UTC-5, Kalmia wrote:

> All I can say is....go easy with it and never double it even if you are doubling a recipe. It seems to overwhelm exponentially.

I agree. Just a smidge too much and you've got an inedible dish. There are a few breakfast sausage companies around here that have a sage variety. Very overwhelming to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I have a beautiful, huge sage plant. I just want to use more of
> it -- more than just roasts. Casseroles? Macaroni salads? cold meat
> salads for sandwiches? I don't know, I was just looking for more
> unusual uses.

I have a pineapple sage, which has a much brighter flavor than the
ordinary sage you'd buy at the grocery store.

Have you ever made mock porchetta? It calls for a good amount. How
about polenta? Try it with sausage and pears. Pork chops with a
cider/beer or sherry and sage cream sauce. Make an apple crostata
with sausage, onion and sage.

Butternut squash and sage pair well. Add apple to it and let me know
when to arrive for dinner.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message

> What other herbs or spices go well with sage? I know about the song,
> parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. What would you season with fresh
> sage? Talk to me . . .

For me sage is strong and doesn't need more herbs. Just onion I think.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-16, Janet B > wrote:

> What other herbs or spices go well with sage?

I once ran across some sage/garlic bread. So good, didn't even need
butter. Then disappeared and I'v never seen the same, again.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>What other herbs or spices go well with sage? I know about the song,
>parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. What would you season with fresh
>sage? Talk to me . . .
>Janet US

Hee hee! That's just a song, Janet. I know, I sing it to myself every
time I think about parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme too! It's a great
song, but hardly cooking advice!! ;-)

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-17, > wrote:

> Sounds nice, be easy to make sage butter and spread, might try that.

Good idea. I'll give it a shot.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 20:24:26 -0700, koko > wrote:

>Sage leaves in a brown butter sauce is divine. Love it over pasta or a
>nice steak
>
>koko

Me too. I've not tried it over steak. I like it over ravioli.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 16:28:06 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 4:18:34 PM UTC-7, wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 17:12:36 -0600, Janet B >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >What other herbs or spices go well with sage? I know about the song,
>> >parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. What would you season with fresh
>> >sage? Talk to me . . .
>> >Janet US

>> With pork, goose and duck I love sage and onion stuffing.

>Have you ever done fried sage leaves? Wonderful . Use them as a condiment on many different things.
>
>http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Fried-Sage-Leaves

I hadn't heard of fried sage leaves. Thanks.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 23:28:01 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 21:22:03 -0600, Janet B >
>wrote:
>
>> I have a beautiful, huge sage plant. I just want to use more of
>> it -- more than just roasts. Casseroles? Macaroni salads? cold meat
>> salads for sandwiches? I don't know, I was just looking for more
>> unusual uses.

>I have a pineapple sage, which has a much brighter flavor than the
>ordinary sage you'd buy at the grocery store.
>
>Have you ever made mock porchetta? It calls for a good amount. How
>about polenta? Try it with sausage and pears. Pork chops with a
>cider/beer or sherry and sage cream sauce. Make an apple crostata
>with sausage, onion and sage.
>
>Butternut squash and sage pair well. Add apple to it and let me know
>when to arrive for dinner.

I like the butternut squash, apple and sage idea, thanks! Also never
thought of polenta.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 17:35:56 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

>On 4/16/2015 5:12 PM, Janet B wrote:
>> What would you season with fresh
>> sage? Talk to me . . .
>> Janet US

>Saltimboca.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltimbocca

Saltimbocca sounds really good. I haven't seen veal around here in
years. I'll have to do some really serious looking around
Thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17 Apr 2015 12:06:37 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2015-04-16, Janet B > wrote:
>
>> What other herbs or spices go well with sage?

>I once ran across some sage/garlic bread. So good, didn't even need
>butter. Then disappeared and I'v never seen the same, again.
>
>nb

Wow! I never thought of that! Good call!
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 08:58:25 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 23:28:01 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 21:22:03 -0600, Janet B >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> I have a beautiful, huge sage plant. I just want to use more of
> >> it -- more than just roasts. Casseroles? Macaroni salads? cold meat
> >> salads for sandwiches? I don't know, I was just looking for more
> >> unusual uses.

> >I have a pineapple sage, which has a much brighter flavor than the
> >ordinary sage you'd buy at the grocery store.
> >
> >Have you ever made mock porchetta? It calls for a good amount. How
> >about polenta? Try it with sausage and pears. Pork chops with a
> >cider/beer or sherry and sage cream sauce. Make an apple crostata
> >with sausage, onion and sage.
> >
> >Butternut squash and sage pair well. Add apple to it and let me know
> >when to arrive for dinner.

> I like the butternut squash, apple and sage idea, thanks! Also never
> thought of polenta.

Google "sage polenta" for variations that include roasted corn, bacon,
mushrooms etc. I'm fine with the basic.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...polenta-358952
but you can make extra and do this
http://www.edibleperspective.com/hom...otta-sage.html

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 09:01:09 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 17:35:56 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:
>
>>On 4/16/2015 5:12 PM, Janet B wrote:
>>> What would you season with fresh
>>> sage? Talk to me . . .
>>> Janet US

>>Saltimboca.
>>
>>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltimbocca

>Saltimbocca sounds really good. I haven't seen veal around here in
>years. I'll have to do some really serious looking around
>Thanks
>Janet US

Googling "saltimboca" brings up tons of chicken dishes and searches
for other meats saltimboca - and some don't even include sage! I
guess the idea is to include a bit of oil and contrast with prosciutto
or other similar strong flavor.

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17/04/2015 5:28 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Janet B" > wrote in message
>>
>> What other herbs or spices go well with sage? I know about the song,
>> parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. What would you season with fresh
>> sage? Talk to me . . .

> For me sage is strong and doesn't need more herbs. Just onion I think.

I'm in total agreement with you on this!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17/04/2015 9:03 AM, Janet B wrote:
> On 17 Apr 2015 12:06:37 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2015-04-16, Janet B > wrote:
>>
>>> What other herbs or spices go well with sage?

>> I once ran across some sage/garlic bread. So good, didn't even need
>> butter. Then disappeared and I'v never seen the same, again.
>>
>> nb

> Wow! I never thought of that! Good call!
> Janet US

But try mixing in some fried onion with the sage and garlic.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 17/04/2015 5:28 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Janet B" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> What other herbs or spices go well with sage? I know about the song,
>>> parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. What would you season with fresh
>>> sage? Talk to me . . .

>> For me sage is strong and doesn't need more herbs. Just onion I think.
>>

> I'm in total agreement with you on this!

Ahh I was just wondering if my post had appeared

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 17/04/2015 9:03 AM, Janet B wrote:

>>> I once ran across some sage/garlic bread. So good, didn't even need
>>> butter. Then disappeared and I'v never seen the same, again.
>>>
>>> nb

>> Wow! I never thought of that! Good call!
>> Janet US
>>

> But try mixing in some fried onion with the sage and garlic.

Yes, that would be good.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 09:16:21 -0700, JRStern >
wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 09:01:09 -0600, Janet B >
>wrote:

>>>Saltimboca.
>>>
>>>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltimbocca

>>Saltimbocca sounds really good. I haven't seen veal around here in
>>years. I'll have to do some really serious looking around
>>Thanks
>>Janet US

>Googling "saltimboca" brings up tons of chicken dishes and searches
>for other meats saltimboca - and some don't even include sage! I
>guess the idea is to include a bit of oil and contrast with prosciutto
>or other similar strong flavor.
>
>J.
>good to know, thanks.

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 10:49:15 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 17/04/2015 9:03 AM, Janet B wrote:

>>> I once ran across some sage/garlic bread. So good, didn't even need
>>> butter. Then disappeared and I'v never seen the same, again.
>>>
>>> nb

>> Wow! I never thought of that! Good call!
>> Janet US
>>

>But try mixing in some fried onion with the sage and garlic.
>Graham

what kind of fried onion? Crispy, caramelized?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17/04/2015 11:57 AM, Janet B wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 10:49:15 -0600, graham > wrote:

>>> Wow! I never thought of that! Good call!
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> But try mixing in some fried onion with the sage and garlic.
>> Graham

> what kind of fried onion? Crispy, caramelized?
> Janet US

I meant sufficient to soften it but caramelised would add an interesting
flavour note.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 12:41:59 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 17/04/2015 11:57 AM, Janet B wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 10:49:15 -0600, graham > wrote:

snip
>> what kind of fried onion? Crispy, caramelized?
>> Janet US
>>

>I meant sufficient to soften it but caramelised would add an interesting
>flavour note.
>Graham

Okie, dokie.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B > wrote:

> What would you season with fresh
> sage?

Liver of most any kind, pan-fried or made into a pté or a spread,
combines very well with sage. It is a classical combination. I posted
a few recipes over the years and could post many more.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 6:12:42 PM UTC-5, Janet B wrote:
> What other herbs or spices go well with sage? I know about the song,
> parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. What would you season with fresh
> sage? Talk to me . . .
> Janet US

I blended sage with salt, savory, paprika, cayenne, black pepper, and a
little each of garlic salt, MSG and I&G*, and used it to season chicken
wings, which I floured and fried.

* Disodium Inosinate and Disodium Guanylate

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 05:11:50 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 6:12:42 PM UTC-5, Janet B wrote:
>> What other herbs or spices go well with sage? I know about the song,
>> parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. What would you season with fresh
>> sage? Talk to me . . .
>> Janet US

>I blended sage with salt, savory, paprika, cayenne, black pepper, and a
>little each of garlic salt, MSG and I&G*, and used it to season Kootche's
>Peepee, which I lubed with my saliva and sat on.
>
>* Disodium Inosinate and Disodium Guanylate
>
>--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 08:20:30 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 05:11:50 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:
>
>>On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 6:12:42 PM UTC-5, Janet B wrote:
>>> What other herbs or spices go well with sage? I know about the song,
>>> parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. What would you season with fresh
>>> sage? Talk to me . . .
>>> Janet US

>>I blended sage with salt, savory, paprika, cayenne, black pepper, and a
>>little each of garlic salt, MSG and I&G*, and used it to season Kootche's
>>Peepee, which I lubed with my saliva and sat on.
>>
>>* Disodium Inosinate and Disodium Guanylate
>>
>>--Bryan

Cute ShelDUMB!!

Plagerize much?

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 17:35:56 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:
>
> >On 4/16/2015 5:12 PM, Janet B wrote:
> >> What would you season with fresh
> >> sage? Talk to me . . .
> >> Janet US

> >Saltimboca.
> >
> >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltimbocca

> Saltimbocca sounds really good. I haven't seen veal around here in
> years. I'll have to do some really serious looking around

You don't need veal. It's delicious made with chicken.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 1:14:27 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 7:49:22 PM UTC-5, Kalmia wrote:
> >
> > All I can say is....go easy with it and never double it even if you are doubling a recipe. It seems to overwhelm exponentially.
> >

> I agree. Just a smidge too much and you've got an inedible dish. There are a few breakfast sausage companies around here that have a sage variety. Very overwhelming to me.

Same goes for curry powder. Best to start stingy. Add a tiny bit later if you wish.

Sage Advice sf[_9_] General Cooking 35 06-01-2017 08:10 PM
sage question Tom Del Rosso[_4_] General Cooking 12 06-03-2013 02:59 PM
Parsley and sage!! poorboy[_2_] General Cooking 2 20-09-2008 06:03 PM
rubbed sage? Grant Erwin Barbecue 2 30-01-2008 04:11 PM
Sage advice Nancy Young General Cooking 8 21-11-2005 04:47 PM