Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sage Advice

From Jacques Pepin
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/jacqu...d-to-disaster/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/3/2017 10:06 AM, sf wrote:
> From Jacques Pepin
> http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/jacqu...d-to-disaster/

I just wish these top chefs and cooks would stop using Salvador Dali
clocks for their timings.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Jan 2017 09:06:38 -0800, sf > wrote:

>From Jacques Pepin
>http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/jacqu...d-to-disaster/

I've never followed a recipe to the letter, other than for making
bread. He's right about recipes should be treated as an idea.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 7:06:39 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> From Jacques Pepin
> http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/jacqu...d-to-disaster/
>

> --
> Avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them.

What is surprising is that recipes are giving temperature measurements for meats. You have to probe your foods with a thermometer. This seems kind of lame for a steak or a chop.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 07:13:52 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Jan 2017 09:06:38 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>>From Jacques Pepin
>>http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/jacqu...d-to-disaster/

>I've never followed a recipe to the letter, other than for making
>bread. He's right about recipes should be treated as an idea.

Too true. Even if I have never done a recipe before, if there are
ingredients I don't like, I leave them out. Obviously some can't be
left out for chemical reasons, such as rising agents etc. but other
than that, spices etc. if I don't like them, they either go in with
smaller amounts or not at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-03 3:53 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 7:06:39 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:

> What is surprising is that recipes are giving temperature
> measurements for meats. You have to probe your foods with a
> thermometer. This seems kind of lame for a steak or a chop.

I have to disagree. I am a decent cook, but I have trouble with steaks
and chops. I like my steaks and chops to be cooked no more than medium
rare and will err on the side of rare. My wife likes hers cooked a
little more than that. I recently bought a digital instant read
thermometer and have used it several time. I used it on New Years Eve to
cook 2" thick beef tenderloin steaks. I did them in a cast iron pan for
5 minutes on one side and then flipped them over and gave them 7 minutes
in a preheated 400 degree oven. I checked them with the thermometer and
they were just a couple degrees lower than what they should be for
medium rare but I tented them and let them sit for about 8 minutes while
I sauteed mushrooms and a dished up the other stuff. They turned out to
be perfect.

We used it again on New Years day when we cooked a prime rib roast. I
roasted it for the prescribed time and checked with the thermometer and
decided it was time to take it out to rest while I made gravy. We had
aimed for medium and that was exactly what we wanted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 12:11:21 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-01-03 3:53 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 7:06:39 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:

> > What is surprising is that recipes are giving temperature
> > measurements for meats. You have to probe your foods with a
> > thermometer. This seems kind of lame for a steak or a chop.

> I have to disagree. I am a decent cook, but I have trouble with steaks
> and chops. I like my steaks and chops to be cooked no more than medium
> rare and will err on the side of rare. My wife likes hers cooked a
> little more than that. I recently bought a digital instant read
> thermometer and have used it several time. I used it on New Years Eve to
> cook 2" thick beef tenderloin steaks. I did them in a cast iron pan for
> 5 minutes on one side and then flipped them over and gave them 7 minutes
> in a preheated 400 degree oven. I checked them with the thermometer and
> they were just a couple degrees lower than what they should be for
> medium rare but I tented them and let them sit for about 8 minutes while
> I sauteed mushrooms and a dished up the other stuff. They turned out to
> be perfect.
>
> We used it again on New Years day when we cooked a prime rib roast. I
> roasted it for the prescribed time and checked with the thermometer and
> decided it was time to take it out to rest while I made gravy. We had
> aimed for medium and that was exactly what we wanted.

Well it takes all kinds, I guess.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/3/2017 3:53 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> What is surprising is that recipes are giving temperature measurements for meats. You have to probe your foods with a thermometer. This seems kind of lame for a steak or a chop.

What would you suggest? You can tell a bit by touch but an instant read
thermometer is more accurate. I take steaks off the grill at 110, rib
roast out of the oven at 120.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 2:41:09 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/3/2017 3:53 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

> > What is surprising is that recipes are giving temperature measurements for meats. You have to probe your foods with a thermometer. This seems kind of lame for a steak or a chop.
> >

> What would you suggest? You can tell a bit by touch but an instant read
> thermometer is more accurate. I take steaks off the grill at 110, rib
> roast out of the oven at 120.

Dare I suggest that we could cook like we did for hundreds of years before there were instant read thermometers or would that be far too uncool? There's a lot of people that can cook a steak without one of those new fangled gadgets. Of course, for a big roast, I always use a thermometer. It's not an instant read thermometer but there's no way I'm going to be poking a god-damn piece of meat every 5 minutes or so.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Jan 2017 17:31:57 -0400, wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 07:13:52 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 03 Jan 2017 09:06:38 -0800, sf > wrote:
>>
>>>From Jacques Pepin

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/jacqu...d-to-disaster/

>>I've never followed a recipe to the letter, other than for making
>>bread. He's right about recipes should be treated as an idea.

>Too true. Even if I have never done a recipe before, if there are
>ingredients I don't like, I leave them out. Obviously some can't be
>left out for chemical reasons, such as rising agents etc. but other
>than that, spices etc. if I don't like them, they either go in with
>smaller amounts or not at all.

Yep. Sometimes I lack an ingredient, one that isn't essential, or
sometimes you can use an alternative ingredient(s) that takes the dish
in another direction yet be just as good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 12:53:29 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 7:06:39 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
>> From Jacques Pepin
>> http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/jacqu...d-to-disaster/
>>

>> --
>> Avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them.

>What is surprising is that recipes are giving temperature measurements for meats. You have to probe your foods with a thermometer. This seems kind of lame for a steak or a chop.

I have one of those thermometers and it's completely unreliable, it
might say the beef or pork is done... only to find it it's way too
rare. When I use my own judgment it always turns out just right.
So screw the thermometers, I say. Anyone who needs one to cook a steak
or chop should just give up cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 19:41:03 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 1/3/2017 3:53 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>> What is surprising is that recipes are giving temperature measurements for meats. You have to probe your foods with a thermometer. This seems kind of lame for a steak or a chop.
>>

>What would you suggest?

Use time and observation? Works for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 18:45:45 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 12:53:29 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
>wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 7:06:39 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
>>> From Jacques Pepin
>>> http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/jacqu...d-to-disaster/
>>>

>>> --
>>> Avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them.

>>What is surprising is that recipes are giving temperature measurements for meats. You have to probe your foods with a thermometer. This seems kind of lame for a steak or a chop.

>I have one of those thermometers and it's completely unreliable, it
>might say the beef or pork is done... only to find it it's way too
>rare. When I use my own judgment it always turns out just right.
>So screw the thermometers, I say. Anyone who needs one to cook a steak
>or chop should just give up cooking.

Or buy a thermometer that works.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 18:49:26 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 18:45:45 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 12:53:29 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
>>wrote:

>>>What is surprising is that recipes are giving temperature measurements for meats. You have to probe your foods with a thermometer. This seems kind of lame for a steak or a chop.

>>I have one of those thermometers and it's completely unreliable, it
>>might say the beef or pork is done... only to find it it's way too
>>rare. When I use my own judgment it always turns out just right.
>>So screw the thermometers, I say. Anyone who needs one to cook a steak
>>or chop should just give up cooking.

>Or buy a thermometer that works.

It works. It just sucks at the intended task and in hindsight I don't
need it anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-04 3:51 AM, Je�us wrote:

>> Or buy a thermometer that works.

> It works. It just sucks at the intended task and in hindsight I don't
> need it anyway.

I have a wired probe thermometer that is next to useless. I could never
rely on it when I had it set for a particular temperature. I have only
had my instant read for a short time and used it a few times, and it has
been very reliable. I would not bother with it for a think steak or
chop, but I used it with a pair of 2" tenderloins and got much better
results than I would by other methods. It doesn't matter too much for me
because I will eat a tenderloin that is raw 3/4 through, but my wife
thinks that is barbaric and prefers hers cooked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 18:45:45 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 12:53:29 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
>>wrote:

>>>What is surprising is that recipes are giving temperature measurements for meats. You have to probe your foods with a thermometer. This seems kind of lame for a steak or a chop.

>>I have one of those thermometers and it's completely unreliable, it
>>might say the beef or pork is done... only to find it it's way too
>>rare. When I use my own judgment it always turns out just right.
>>So screw the thermometers, I say. Anyone who needs one to cook a steak
>>or chop should just give up cooking.

>Or buy a thermometer that works.

Most thermometers give instructions for checking and re-setting for
accuracy.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 10:11:43 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 18:49:26 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 18:45:45 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>I have one of those thermometers and it's completely unreliable, it
>>>might say the beef or pork is done... only to find it it's way too
>>>rare. When I use my own judgment it always turns out just right.
>>>So screw the thermometers, I say. Anyone who needs one to cook a steak
>>>or chop should just give up cooking.

>>Or buy a thermometer that works.

>Most thermometers give instructions for checking and re-setting for
>accuracy.
>Janet US

Has to do with insertion... folks have issues with anal thermometers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-04, U.S Janet B > wrote:

> Most thermometers give instructions for checking and re-setting for
> accuracy.

It should read, "Most quality thermometers". I've got a beer brewing
thermometer that can be adjusted. It's a Fermentap and it costs close
to $50usd. Don't see that kinda quality ona WW cheapo.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 18:49:26 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 18:45:45 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>I have one of those thermometers and it's completely unreliable, it
>>>might say the beef or pork is done... only to find it it's way too
>>>rare. When I use my own judgment it always turns out just right.
>>>So screw the thermometers, I say. Anyone who needs one to cook a steak
>>>or chop should just give up cooking.

>>Or buy a thermometer that works.

>Most thermometers give instructions for checking and re-setting for
>accuracy.

Just to be clear, this is the type of thermometer I have:
http://www.theperfectsteak.com.au/pr...ter-60mm-dial/
I should throw the thing out as I gave up using it long ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 09:26:17 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-01-04 3:51 AM, Je?us wrote:
>
>>> Or buy a thermometer that works.

>> It works. It just sucks at the intended task and in hindsight I don't
>> need it anyway.

>I have a wired probe thermometer that is next to useless. I could never
>rely on it when I had it set for a particular temperature. I have only
>had my instant read for a short time and used it a few times, and it has
>been very reliable. I would not bother with it for a think steak or
>chop, but I used it with a pair of 2" tenderloins and got much better
>results than I would by other methods. It doesn't matter too much for me
>because I will eat a tenderloin that is raw 3/4 through, but my wife
>thinks that is barbaric and prefers hers cooked.

I can eat beef quite rare, as long as it's tender and not chewy.
These days I prefer medium rare though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-04 12:11 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 18:49:26 +1100, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 18:45:45 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>>> I have one of those thermometers and it's completely unreliable, it
>>> might say the beef or pork is done... only to find it it's way too
>>> rare. When I use my own judgment it always turns out just right.
>>> So screw the thermometers, I say. Anyone who needs one to cook a steak
>>> or chop should just give up cooking.

>> Or buy a thermometer that works.

> Most thermometers give instructions for checking and re-setting for
> accuracy.

True, but who uses and keeps instructions? ;-)
You can usually find instructions online these days. If not, find a 10
year old. Quite seriously, kids these days seem to have innate
knowledge of digital issues.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-04 12:46 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 09:26:17 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> It works. It just sucks at the intended task and in hindsight I don't
>>> need it anyway.

>> I have a wired probe thermometer that is next to useless. I could never
>> rely on it when I had it set for a particular temperature. I have only
>> had my instant read for a short time and used it a few times, and it has
>> been very reliable. I would not bother with it for a think steak or
>> chop, but I used it with a pair of 2" tenderloins and got much better
>> results than I would by other methods. It doesn't matter too much for me
>> because I will eat a tenderloin that is raw 3/4 through, but my wife
>> thinks that is barbaric and prefers hers cooked.

> I can eat beef quite rare, as long as it's tender and not chewy.
> These days I prefer medium rare though.

I like tenderloins and they are much better rare. Charred on the outside
and raw in the very middle is ideal for me. Anything past medium is a
waste of good meat. If you want beef well done stick to hamburger.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Jan 2017 17:30:37 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2017-01-04, U.S Janet B > wrote:
>
>> Most thermometers give instructions for checking and re-setting for
>> accuracy.

>It should read, "Most quality thermometers". I've got a beer brewing
>thermometer that can be adjusted. It's a Fermentap and it costs close
>to $50usd. Don't see that kinda quality ona WW cheapo.
>
>nb

I've got the instructions and adjustment nut on my $10 thermometers.
'Course, I bought them several years ago. That may have been dropped
from current manufacture.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Jan 2017 04:45:01 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 10:11:43 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 18:49:26 +1100, Bruce >
>>wrote:

>>>Or buy a thermometer that works.

>>Most thermometers give instructions for checking and re-setting for
>>accuracy.

>Just to be clear, this is the type of thermometer I have:
>http://www.theperfectsteak.com.au/pr...ter-60mm-dial/
>I should throw the thing out as I gave up using it long ago.

no adjustment nut just under the dial body?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 14:08:02 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Jan 2017 04:45:01 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 10:11:43 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>>wrote:

>>>Most thermometers give instructions for checking and re-setting for
>>>accuracy.

>>Just to be clear, this is the type of thermometer I have:
>>http://www.theperfectsteak.com.au/pr...ter-60mm-dial/
>>I should throw the thing out as I gave up using it long ago.

>no adjustment nut just under the dial body?

Unfortunately not, Janet. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.
The big question is why I still have it and not thrown it out?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 15:09:28 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-01-04 12:46 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 09:26:17 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> I have a wired probe thermometer that is next to useless. I could never
>>> rely on it when I had it set for a particular temperature. I have only
>>> had my instant read for a short time and used it a few times, and it has
>>> been very reliable. I would not bother with it for a think steak or
>>> chop, but I used it with a pair of 2" tenderloins and got much better
>>> results than I would by other methods. It doesn't matter too much for me
>>> because I will eat a tenderloin that is raw 3/4 through, but my wife
>>> thinks that is barbaric and prefers hers cooked.

>> I can eat beef quite rare, as long as it's tender and not chewy.
>> These days I prefer medium rare though.
>>

>I like tenderloins and they are much better rare. Charred on the outside
>and raw in the very middle is ideal for me.

I used to like raw in the middle but over the years I've changed to
medium rare... but definitely no more than that. I do love a good
steak tartare though.

> Anything past medium is a waste of good meat.

I have a certain friend who cooks the living hell out of steak at the
BBQs we have. So much so I stopped bringing over top quality Scotch
fillet a long time ago. It's almost criminal to destroy such lovely
meat like that.

>If you want beef well done stick to hamburger.

Agreed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-04 5:19 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 15:09:28 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

teak tartare though.

>> Anything past medium is a waste of good meat.

> I have a certain friend who cooks the living hell out of steak at the
> BBQs we have. So much so I stopped bringing over top quality Scotch
> fillet a long time ago. It's almost criminal to destroy such lovely
> meat like that.
>
>> If you want beef well done stick to hamburger.

> Agreed.

My brother and his wife were friends with a couple and used to
reciprocate BBQ dinners. The wife wanted her steaks very well done. Not
just well done... very well done. I just don't see the point in paying
premium meat prices for a piece of steak and then ruining it by cooking
the snot out of it. You may as well boil it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Jan 2017 17:30:37 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2017-01-04, U.S Janet B > wrote:
>
> > Most thermometers give instructions for checking and re-setting for
> > accuracy.

> It should read, "Most quality thermometers". I've got a beer brewing
> thermometer that can be adjusted. It's a Fermentap and it costs close
> to $50usd. Don't see that kinda quality ona WW cheapo.

That's because they are $10 or less throw away thermometers. The
battery dies, toss it out.

I have a Thermapen, which costs closer to $100, and had no idea it can
be calibrated. Apparently there's a way to do it. Thanks Janet!
http://www.thermoworks.com/learning/...ing_an_icebath
Now I have to find out what the +/- tolerances are. So far, so good -
but it's always wise to check.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-04 4:54 PM, sf wrote:
> On 4 Jan 2017 17:30:37 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2017-01-04, U.S Janet B > wrote:
>>
>>> Most thermometers give instructions for checking and re-setting for
>>> accuracy.

>> It should read, "Most quality thermometers". I've got a beer brewing
>> thermometer that can be adjusted. It's a Fermentap and it costs close
>> to $50usd. Don't see that kinda quality ona WW cheapo.
>>

> That's because they are $10 or less throw away thermometers. The
> battery dies, toss it out.
>
> I have a Thermapen, which costs closer to $100, and had no idea it can
> be calibrated. Apparently there's a way to do it. Thanks Janet!
> http://www.thermoworks.com/learning/...ing_an_icebath
> Now I have to find out what the +/- tolerances are. So far, so good -
> but it's always wise to check.

I wasted a lot of money on so-called "instant-read" thermometers. Then I
bought a Thermapen:-) I wish I'd bought it earlier.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 16:58:35 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2017-01-04 4:54 PM, sf wrote:

>>> It should read, "Most quality thermometers". I've got a beer brewing
>>> thermometer that can be adjusted. It's a Fermentap and it costs close
>>> to $50usd. Don't see that kinda quality ona WW cheapo.
>>>

>> That's because they are $10 or less throw away thermometers. The
>> battery dies, toss it out.
>>
>> I have a Thermapen, which costs closer to $100, and had no idea it can
>> be calibrated. Apparently there's a way to do it. Thanks Janet!
>> http://www.thermoworks.com/learning/...ing_an_icebath
>> Now I have to find out what the +/- tolerances are. So far, so good -
>> but it's always wise to check.
>>

>I wasted a lot of money on so-called "instant-read" thermometers. Then I
>bought a Thermapen:-) I wish I'd bought it earlier.

I don't need a thermometer to grill/fry a steak... I use a thermometer
for a roast however I really don't need too. I can cook a roast by
temperature, time, and weight, the thermometer is just for checking
however most times the raast turns out perfect without checking a
thermometer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 1:54:35 PM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On 4 Jan 2017 17:30:37 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
> > On 2017-01-04, U.S Janet B > wrote:
> >
> > > Most thermometers give instructions for checking and re-setting for
> > > accuracy.

> > It should read, "Most quality thermometers". I've got a beer brewing
> > thermometer that can be adjusted. It's a Fermentap and it costs close
> > to $50usd. Don't see that kinda quality ona WW cheapo.
> >

> That's because they are $10 or less throw away thermometers. The
> battery dies, toss it out.
>
> I have a Thermapen, which costs closer to $100, and had no idea it can
> be calibrated. Apparently there's a way to do it. Thanks Janet!
> http://www.thermoworks.com/learning/...ing_an_icebath
> Now I have to find out what the +/- tolerances are. So far, so good -
> but it's always wise to check.
>

> --
> Avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them.

This does not sound very useful. Mostly you're checking to see if it's accurate or not. What do you do if it's off? My guess is that you dump the unit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 16:37:58 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

> This does not sound very useful. Mostly you're checking to see if it's accurate or not. What do you do if it's off? My guess is that you dump the unit.

Oh, it's useful. I use it for baking too. I've never thought about
checking it for accuracy, mainly because when I use it to check things
my slow cooker's temperature - it reads what it's supposed to read.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/4/2017 6:54 PM, sf wrote:

> I have a Thermapen, which costs closer to $100, and had no idea it can
> be calibrated. Apparently there's a way to do it. Thanks Janet!
> http://www.thermoworks.com/learning/...ing_an_icebath
> Now I have to find out what the +/- tolerances are. So far, so good -
> but it's always wise to check.

High accuracy to ±0.7°F (±0.4°C)

Far closer that anyone needs for a piece of meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 20:42:06 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On 1/4/2017 6:54 PM, sf wrote:
>
> > I have a Thermapen, which costs closer to $100, and had no idea it can
> > be calibrated. Apparently there's a way to do it. Thanks Janet!
> > http://www.thermoworks.com/learning/...ing_an_icebath
> > Now I have to find out what the +/- tolerances are. So far, so good -
> > but it's always wise to check.

> High accuracy to ±0.7°F (±0.4°C)
>
> Far closer that anyone needs for a piece of meat.

Thanks, Ed!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-04 8:42 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/4/2017 6:54 PM, sf wrote:
>
>> I have a Thermapen, which costs closer to $100, and had no idea it can
>> be calibrated. Apparently there's a way to do it. Thanks Janet!
>> http://www.thermoworks.com/learning/...ing_an_icebath
>> Now I have to find out what the +/- tolerances are. So far, so good -
>> but it's always wise to check.

> High accuracy to ±0.7°F (±0.4°C)
>
> Far closer that anyone needs for a piece of meat.

This is sort of like the recent discussion about the accuracy of
measuring by weight vs. volume. It's cooking. It doesn't have to be
that precise.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 3:14:22 PM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 16:37:58 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsiyahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > This does not sound very useful. Mostly you're checking to see if it's accurate or not. What do you do if it's off? My guess is that you dump the unit.

> Oh, it's useful. I use it for baking too. I've never thought about
> checking it for accuracy, mainly because when I use it to check things
> my slow cooker's temperature - it reads what it's supposed to read.
>

> --
> Avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them.

I use a thermometer for certain tasks. Mostly it's for stuff that I've been cooking for years. The idea of using a thermometer for a grilled steak or hamburger is an new one and came out of the food safety training movement for restaurant cooks and food prep. This arose out of the sensational stories of food poisoning incidents on the internet which begot our general distrust of our food manufacturing and food service industries. Our foods are the safest it's ever been yet fears are at an all time high.

Sage and ??? Janet B General Cooking 50 20-04-2015 10:13 PM
sage question Tom Del Rosso[_4_] General Cooking 12 06-03-2013 03:59 PM
rubbed sage? Grant Erwin Barbecue 2 30-01-2008 05:11 PM
Sage advice Nancy Young General Cooking 8 21-11-2005 05:47 PM
Superauto advice (UK based but any advice on machines appreciated) Copterman Coffee 5 24-12-2004 08:47 PM